Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak?
      #4827637 - 09/25/11 08:59 PM

It got a nice review in sky and tel . I was wondering what some owners oe viewers thought of it. I understand its a heavy ota.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #4827657 - 09/25/11 09:10 PM

Dang, that's not a bad price for a Rumak style. It weights 20lbs.

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=13870&tb=2

Wes James
Postmaster

Reged: 04/12/06

Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #4827669 - 09/25/11 09:16 PM

It's well made, the views are very nice through it. I will be keeping mine!

biz
Vendor

Reged: 11/08/09

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: Wes James]
      #4827675 - 09/25/11 09:20 PM

Hi Wes,
I agree with you, mines a keeper.
cheers.
Graham.

letimotif
No Complaints

Reged: 05/20/07

Loc: Actually, right here.
Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: biz]
      #4827700 - 09/25/11 09:46 PM

I have the AstroTech version, and it's keep its collimation perfectly, provides delightful razor sharp views with zero image shift, and it's binoviewer friendly.

While it will do well on a GEM, I've used mine on an Ioptron Mini-Tower to good effect. It's too heavy for mounts like the NexStar SE.

Sturdy, well made, mine weighs in at a bit more than 14 lbs, sans finder, and using an AstroZap dewshield.

My only complaint about the design is that it requires a bit of care mounting and dismounting. There isn't really anything to grab ahold of during the process. At 0300 it requires a bit of thought and care to put away for the night.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: letimotif]
      #4827714 - 09/25/11 09:57 PM

I love the fact that it comes with a dew shield.
What size is the central obstruction?
Any idea who actually manufactures it.

Steve

David B in NM

Reged: 09/05/10

Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: stevew]
      #4827755 - 09/25/11 10:21 PM

SteveW,

It is a clone of the AT6M with an added dew shield.

It is made by Bosma.

38% by diameter, 14.4% by area

David B in NM

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: David B in NM]
      #4827779 - 09/25/11 10:36 PM

Thirty eight percent diameter????? Yikes i thought it was f/15, i guess thats the f/12 difference. Id prefer the smaller co and longer f ratio.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (09/25/11 10:39 PM)

biz
Vendor

Reged: 11/08/09

Loc: New Zealand
      #4827783 - 09/25/11 10:38 PM

Steve. The ioptron version also comes with a dual focuser which is the only one that does, and is a very good focuser indeed.. ofcourse the alluminuim screw on dew sheild is a plus also. Overall its a fine OTA and when cooled down properly shows more detail than my C8.
cheers.
Graham.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#4828644 - 09/26/11 01:15 PM

Thats quite impressive. Id have thought tge CO being that big would hamper contrast. Sometimes i reconsider for a meade etx125 but ive never been a fan of the name. the orion ota seems nice too. Any comparisons between the three?

Pete

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #4831246 - 09/27/11 09:40 PM

Quote:

Overall its a fine OTA and when cooled down properly shows more detail than my C8.
cheers.

Wow It must be one of those rare scopes that can go beyond the laws of physics.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #4831265 - 09/27/11 09:55 PM

Hi Pete, I just picked up a 5" Orion Mak-Cas and my initial impression is that it is better than an older C8 I have and nearly as good as my 6" Intes MK-63. Very nice scope and nice and little!

Mike

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #4831304 - 09/27/11 10:28 PM

Quote:

I just picked up a 5" Orion Mak-Cas...nearly as good as my 6" Intes MK-63.

Mike, now you've opened the can-o-worms. LOL

I got my backside chewed for saying a mass produced scope can be as good. But, I suspect it can be as good as the standard Intes models anyway. An MCT deploys a few 'tricks' to correct for SA. If done correctly, it results in smooth optics and better than 1/4 wave correction even without aspheric correction. But, hey, that's me interpreting a star test, again.

When folks claim them to be better than a C8, though, that raises some eyebrows. Resolution should not be better and MTF should be about the same, so maybe folks need to be more specific in what they mean by better. I don't argue the point, I love the MCT design. It does get more use than any of my previous SCT and Dobs and does give very pleasing images. Some of that is the portability, the reminder is the views. I have yet to be left wanting, even at a smaller aperture.

So, the point is, an MCT can /approach/ refractor like performance and definitely inspire refractor like love especially if well corrected with very small aberrations. The Orion, in my view, meets this standard. I am sure the IOptron and others do as well...there is something about the design that allows it.

archer1960
sage

Reged: 07/26/11

#4831713 - 09/28/11 07:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Overall its a fine OTA and when cooled down properly shows more detail than my C8.
cheers.

Or he's just got a *BLEEP* copy for his C8.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #4834700 - 09/29/11 06:14 PM

Quote:

"Mike, now you've opened the can-o-worms. LOL"

Well, not that I mind opening a can of worms, but will say thar I'm very new to observational astronomy and go by how everything looks to me... I only had the Orion out for about an hour and it was not side by side with either the C8 or the MK-63.

I just received another old Intes (MK-65) and as soon as we get a night that is clear I'll get all 4 scopes out and so a head-to-head and try to be more objective. I agree "better" is way to subjective to be vary meaningful.

Mike

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#4834978 - 09/29/11 08:47 PM

I'd be interested to hear your observations.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#4845735 - 10/05/11 06:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Mike, now you've opened the can-o-worms. LOL"

Well, not that I mind opening a can of worms, but will say thar I'm very new to observational astronomy and go by how everything looks to me... I only had the Orion out for about an hour and it was not side by side with either the C8 or the MK-63.

I just received another old Intes (MK-65) and as soon as we get a night that is clear I'll get all 4 scopes out and so a head-to-head and try to be more objective. I agree "better" is way to subjective to be vary meaningful.

Mike

Hows that four scope shoot out doing?

Pete

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #4847683 - 10/06/11 06:06 PM

Pete,

SLOW... Just got some clear nights and I'm hoping to get out soon. Biggest problem I have is not knowing how best to compare the 3 or 4 scopes in a way that is not very objective. I guess I'll look at some other reviews to see if I can come up with anything. I also need to pick up a couple of eyepices so I can keep the magnification comparable between the scopes. Since this tread was a question about a 150 iOptron Mak maybe I should start another. Mpre to come!

Mike

Keithdrengen
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/20/08

Loc: Nothern hemisphere
      #4848399 - 10/07/11 05:34 AM

Europeans who is interested in a Bosma Mak atleast with similar specs: In France a 6" can be had for 590 euro, sometimes these Maks are one sale for around 350 euro. Bought from them once without problems, I am from Denmark.

http://photoaddict.fr/watching/bosma-omega-mc-6-telescope-maksutov-cassegrain-f1800-x150mm.html

Edited by Keithdrengen (10/07/11 05:38 AM)

bobhen
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/25/05

#4848763 - 10/07/11 11:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

cheers.

There’s a shoot-out between a Celestron C8 XLT, an Intes MK67, and a Tak TSA 102 on AM. The review was just written 10.3.11. It’s a well-written and pretty extensive review from an observer’s point of view. The review concentrates on Jupiter and the details seen on that planet. The reviewer appears to be experienced and a dedicated observer living in California.

Bottom line: in average seeing he felt the MK67 was delivering a little more.

In above average seeing, he felt the Tak TSA 102 delivered the most details and could be pushed to (and take advantage of) higher power over the other two when seeing allowed.

Bob

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: bobhen]
      #4849001 - 10/07/11 01:28 PM

Quote:

[In above average seeing, he felt the Tak TSA 102 delivered the most details and could be pushed to (and take advantage of) higher power over the other two when seeing allowed.

Bob

Wow. That 4-incher must have had an objective made of that Unobtainium crystal I've heard tell about.

The 6-inch MCT? That's getting closer. I've often been surprised at how well my 5-inch does. It produces a lovely image, and even if it can't equal a collimated C8, it's pretty close.

bobhen
professor emeritus

Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: rmollise]
      #4849048 - 10/07/11 02:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[In above average seeing, he felt the Tak TSA 102 delivered the most details and could be pushed to (and take advantage of) higher power over the other two when seeing allowed.

Bob

Wow. That 4-incher must have had an objective made of that Unobtainium crystal I've heard tell about.

The 6-inch MCT? That's getting closer. I've often been surprised at how well my 5-inch does. It produces a lovely image, and even if it can't equal a collimated C8, it's pretty close.

Why is that?

Right here on CN there is a review (a C14 confronts an AP 180 by Jay Reynolds Freeman) of a C14 compared to an AP 7-inch refractor when comparing details on Jupiter. The reviewer gives the SCT the advantage on some details and the refractor the advantage on other details - with the refractor offering a more consistent view. The 7-inch AP refractor is also half the aperture of the C14 as is the Tak TSA 102 compared to the C8.

Mr. Freeman (as I'm sure you know)has been using his C14 for many decades.

Bob

rmollise
Postmaster

#4849204 - 10/07/11 03:59 PM

Quote:

Why is that?

Why? The aforementioned laws of physics. Sure, a small refractor can provide an aesthetically pleasing image, but it cannot beat the increase in light gathering and resolution offered by four more inches of aperture.

bobhen
professor emeritus

#4849254 - 10/07/11 04:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Why is that?

Why? The aforementioned laws of physics. Sure, a small refractor can provide an aesthetically pleasing image, but it cannot beat the increase in light gathering and resolution offered by four more inches of aperture.

When people say “Laws of Physics” I presume they are also considering the physics involved in optical design and manufacturing execution. A mass-produced SCT with SA, a less smooth figure and a large obstruction will negate its aperture advantage to a high-quality, super smooth, custom-crafted, unobstructed scope of slightly lesser aperture where seeing fine planetary detail is concerned – as reported in both head to head reviews previously mentioned.

The optical quality of the scopes in such a comparison has to be part of the equation.

Bob

rmollise
Postmaster

#4849678 - 10/07/11 10:36 PM

Quote:

The optical quality of the scopes in such a comparison has to be part of the equation.

Bob

To some extent. Will a 4-inch best or even come close to equaling an 8? Unlikely unless the 8 has a shaving mirror for a primary.

I used to think/hope MAYBE...JUST MAYBE...a Unitron 4-inch could beat a Cave 8. Alas, 'twarn't so.

bobhen
professor emeritus

#4850158 - 10/08/11 09:11 AM

Quote:

To some extent. Will a 4-inch best or even come close to equaling an 8? Unlikely unless the 8 has a shaving mirror for a primary.

Try an experiment.

Cut a “D” shaped aperture mask for your 8 inch SCT. The back of the “D” should be deep enough to cover the central obstruction. You will now have an unobstructed “D” shaped clear aperture.

Take the mask off - point the scope at the moon. Look at low contrast areas where the lunar grays are close – look at the bright rim walls and peaks where the light is strong.

Put the mask on and revisit the same areas. Remember that the mask has eliminated over half of your aperture. Try this in various seeing conditions.

Report back.

Bob

barasits
sage

Reged: 06/12/11

Loc: Chicago
      #4850877 - 10/08/11 05:35 PM

How to take all the fun out of astronomy: start handing out homework assignments.

My Quantum 4 shows less detail on Jupiter than my 8 inch SCT. Aperture wins. But both are obstructed, and the question is whether obstruction cancels out the resolution advantage of aperture, so I propose another experiment: send me your premium refractor and I'll be happy to compare it with the views provided by my 8 inch SCT. Given the rarity of good seeing at my location, this experiment may take a very long time.

Geoff

rmollise
Postmaster

#4851078 - 10/08/11 07:32 PM

Quote:

Try an experiment.

Cut a “D” shaped aperture mask for your 8 inch SCT.

I don't have to report back. I've done this many times. The result is always the same. The 8 blows the doors off the 4. Except...in times of bad seeing, the off-axis aperture mask will deliver an _aesthetically more pleasing_ image. You will, however, always see more details at full aperture--or than you would see with a small refractor--since the seeing almost always steadies out at least briefly.

Sorry...can't fool that cruel old dame, Ma Nature.

bobhen
professor emeritus

#4852103 - 10/09/11 12:47 PM

Quote:

Sorry...can't fool that cruel old dame, Ma Nature.

How do you account for the following? Some of these reviewers have extensive (decades of) experience.

From Ed Tng’s review of a Meade 7” Mak.

“The results were very close. In times of good seeing, the Mak slightly
edged out the FS 102 Takahashi. However, during times of average or slightly un-steady seeing, the refractor won out, and in fact the FS102 gave the more consistently excellent images.”

From Jay Reynolds Freeman’s review of a C14 against a AP 7” Apo Refractor – right here on CN The Apo has half the aperture of the C14.

“With respect to lower-contrast detail, I do not think the C-14 was doing as well as the AP 180. I don't think I had as good a view of the big garland through the C-14, and I had much more difficulty seeing some fine, east/west streakiness in cap of Jupiter's northern hemisphere, say, north of Jovian latitude 50N. Also, prominent color contrasts and intensity variations, seen in comparing large-scale features, such as the equatorial belts and the adjacent zones, did not appear to me to be as pronounced in the C-14 as in the refractor.”

From Rodger Vine’s review (here on CN) between a C8 and a TMB (LZOS) 4” F8 Apo refractor

“(On Mars) The C8 still delivers a big, bright orange ball that just hints at the details the APO shows clearly.
My wife agrees – round one to the APO in these conditions.

(On the Moon) In the C8 the image is much brighter, but there’s less detail. I keep swapping back and forth over a period of several hours to check, but it’s true. A white smudge in the C8 resolves down to a tiny crater in the APO. I see details in Gassendi – rilles, slumping, craterlets, that are just a smear in the C8. From the domes of Mons Rumker to the hills and embayments around Gassendi and the edges of lava flows on the mare near Aristarchus, the APO shows more detail.”

From Mr. Yoshida (from Japan) a seasoned amateur astronomer. “The criterion is how these scopes perform on planet viewing. I think the order is roughly within our expectation.”
Note the much smaller refractors ahead of the C11.

(96 points) ASTRO-PHYSICS 160EDF
(96 points) Zeiss APQ150
(96 points) Takahashi TOA-150
(95 points) TMB 152mm/F8-CNC-LW
(95 points) Takahashi_-250
(93 points) ASTRO-PHYSICS 155EDFS
(90 points) INTES-MICRO ALTER A-608
(90 points) ZEN250
(88 points) C-11”

From Ralph Aguirre’s review between a C8, Tak TSA 102, and a MK67

“For tonight, with steadier seeing conditions, the smaller, but very potent Takahashi TSA-102, was clearly showing more resolution by pulling out surface details (on Jupiter), that the larger mirrors couldn't even see.”

Bob

rmollise
Postmaster

#4852180 - 10/09/11 01:54 PM

Quote:

How do you account for the following? Some of these reviewers have extensive (decades of) experience.

They pretty much echoes what I said in my last post. To wit: "In times of poor seeing, a small telescope can present an _aesthetically more pleasing_ image." That does not mean it will deliver more detail.

I'm not obligated to account for anything, btw. If you want to believe that a telescope can best one with a 400% advantage in aperture, that is your right. Just as it is MY right to say that my experience is, "Tain't so." My experience over nearly half a century of observing is "Aperture Always Wins."

Edited by rmollise (10/09/11 01:57 PM)

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5258590 - 06/06/12 04:03 PM

Quote:

In above average seeing, he felt the Tak TSA 102 delivered the most details and could be pushed to (and take advantage of) higher power over the other two when seeing allowed.

I have no doubt that this was the case for him. Question is why? I have had many an evening where my 4" APO cleanly bested larger SCTs, MAKs, and Newts for planetary observing when all have passive cooling for acclimation. From an operational standpoint I've found this to be the routine case. IMO the driving reasons are: 1) Atmospheric Seeing, and 2) Thermal Acclimation Attributes of each Scope Design.

I have also had a number of evenings where an APO much larger than my 4" did not show any more details on planetary as well. To me this is just further evidence that we really do live in a seeing-limited universe here on Earth. I always find it curious how professional observatories fight and strive to ever get to have consistent sub 1 arcsec seeing, yet most user reports find that they can see more details routinely when compared to 1 arcsec scopes (i.e., 114mm objective). I think what is more likely, is that people have a few fractions of a second views here and there when seeing is truely sub 1 arcsec and of course we all remember the best of the views for the evening and not the average. For myself, I would estimate from my observing location that maybe 20% or less of the evenings I observe have seeing steadier to show more details than what my 4" can reliable achieve. So they do happen, but a lot less frequently than we are led to believe IMO.

On the second point of equillibrium, I think this is probably the biggest reason that smaller APOs beat larger other designs...especailly for passively cooled scopes. I've had 3 or 4 passively cooled SCTs and it took them forever and once there they could never keep up with the changing temps. This being the case once we got to operating planetary mag the 4" APO would more often show a better picture with more and clearer details than the larger ones could. Sure there would be microseconds where the larger scopes would see more, but it was an in and out affair and frankly probably 10% of the eyepiece time was with the more details and the rest of the time was waiting. With the more thermally stable 4" APO however, it is generally opposite with way more that 80% of the observing image stable and shapr with only occassional jitters.

Bottom line, there are so very many who report the same thing, that smaller refractors show more details than larger other designs, that it is really impossible to say it does not happen often because we see that it does for numerous observers. The question is not that it does not, but why it does fall out this way. So the physics of resolution are not really at issue at all and these smaller scopes are not performing magic optically, they are just engineered for the enviornments they are in better, so therefore perform better over a given time period on average. As always, the best option it to have a smaller refractor teamed with a larger mirrored instrument so that way you get the best of both worlds. Oh yes, this is only for planetary observing...turn to DSO and the larger will always see more.

Edited by BillP (06/06/12 04:07 PM)

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/21/12

Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: BillP]
      #5258679 - 06/06/12 04:58 PM

I have found that a good 6" Newtonian like RV-6 will beat an Intes MK67 when observing Jupiter.
The Newt has 25% obstruction or less, which really does make a difference.
I agree with BillP, we are mostly seeing limited or thermally limited. Put a fan near the mirror and see if that improves matters.
An unobstructed 4" telescope does show more constrast than a 6" MCT. Take the formula 6" - 2"=4". That's with 33% obstruction.

seeindoubles

Reged: 01/15/12

Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon
      #5553234 - 12/04/12 01:39 AM

I purchased one of the iOptron 150 Maks last July. When it arrived it was double boxed. The first being a heavy cardboard overpack carton. Inside was the factory carton with iOptron logo tape over all the box flap joints. Original factory pack seals.

When I opened my new OTA I immediately had the following observations:

First, I heard a clunk. Upon investigation I found that all the collimation screws were backed off allowing the primary mirror to flop around during shipment. It was still loosely anchored to the rear cell but only by a few threads. S&T never reported anything like this in their fairly glowing review.

Second, the finder mount is not of the common and more stable and higher quality Vixen type vee mount. Instead it was a fairly imprecise "tray" type mount where the finder base can slide through instead of in to a point where it gets tighter and more stable. One 6mm clamp screw secures the base. When tightened it seems to lock up stable enough but compared to a Vixen type base it seems sloppy.

Third, The finder provided seems fairy high quality. It is a bright and clear 50MM straigh-through unit. However the means of holding and centering the finder OTA in the provided rings leaves much to be desired. The finder had two cheesy pieces of clear cellophane film or tape to go between the 6, 6mm holding/adjusting screws. The cellophane film is easily dislodged allowing the screws to directly impact the nice pebbled finish paint on the finder. This whole arrangement seems very second-rate to what they could have easily done. I tapped out the 6mm screw holes to 8/32 thread and used six Nylon thumbscrews. This allows perfect alignment of the finder without the worry of marring the paint finish on the finder tube assy.

Fourth, the dovetail rail bolted to the substantial OTA is not exactly a Vixen pattern rail. It is black anodized and has a thicker bottom section that can be marred by installation in a CG5 or EQ5 type mount. I used a Skywatcher EQ5G with the scope. While the mount is well matched to the scope, the mounting of the vee block is much less secure feeling than if the OTA had an actual Vixen dovetail. It forces you to over-tighten in order to be sure the OTA is secure in the mount. Doing so marrs the nice black anodized dovetail.

Fifth, there was no operational manual, certainly nothing that would help guide a novice in making normal adjustments. Collimation for example.

It was fairly quick to collimate the optics of the iOptron Mak using a Cheshire eyepiece. Once done the images were very good to excellent once the OTA cooled down. Nice clean airy disks on stars and beautiful lunar and planetary detail on Saturn were the reward for some fine adjustments on my rough alignment of the optics. Double stars like Epsilon Lyrae (The Double-Double) and Porrima were split pretty easily when the air was stabilized. I was also able to obtain a few test shots of Saturn via my Canon DSLR running Backyard EOS.

The dual speed focuser supplied with the OTA is very nice. It also really does help keep control of image shift and function is very smooth.

The quick detachable dew-shade is a nice touch, although the weight when added can affect scope balance on your German equatorial mount. I plan to modify my dew shade by carefully locating three holes on the scope end of the dew shade and tapping to 8/32 and installing some nylon clamp screws. This should make the dew shade a much better fit.

ohioalfa64
sage

Reged: 08/16/12

Loc: Ohio (NW)
Re: Anyone have the 150mm IOPTRON mak? new [Re: seeindoubles]
      #5554606 - 12/04/12 08:36 PM

I take possession of mine on Thursday.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6282

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics