Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rtanton
Vendor (Explorer Scientific)

Reged: 02/06/07

Loc: Mission Viejo, CA
Re: Need help collimating Explore Scientific Mak-Newt new [Re: sneutrino]
      #5315902 - 07/13/12 11:49 AM Attachment (38 downloads)

Simple answer - yes, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will need to do so. By differential adjustment of the 2mm set screws the draw tube can be tilted (see image below). I have never found this necessary with the Comet Hunter. It is more likely that tension adjustment is required with heavier loads (cameras, CCDs, etc.). Refractors, due to their much longer draw tubes (attached image), sometimes require differential adjustment. If you have questions, please give me a call on the phone number sent by PM.

Edited by rtanton (07/13/12 11:52 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hothersale
sage

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Victoria, BC
Re: Need help collimating Explore Scientific Mak-Newt new [Re: rtanton]
      #5852532 - 05/10/13 06:57 PM

Got my Comet Hunter today. Collimation out of the box is actually pretty good, but my sight tube tells me the secondary should be pulled up closer to the corrector to be properly centered under the focuser. I know there is a hex screw located under the secondary's center slotted screw. I am GUESSING that I should loosen all three collimation knobs and then tighten this center hex screw to pull the secondary closer to the corrector. Anybody know for sure before I start messing around? 8^)

Hothersale
sage

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Victoria, BC
Re: Need help collimating Explore Scientific Mak-Newt new [Re: Hothersale]
      #5852860 - 05/10/13 10:17 PM

Belay that request. It was user error. My sight tube wasn't inserted far enough. With it pushed in all the way and my eye jammed up close, the secondary position looks perfect. I did have to tweak the angle of the focuser slightly, but that was easy enough. (FYI, the center hex screw does NOT appear to change the stalk length, it only rotates the secondary.) Now I have to decide if I'm brave enough to remove the primary mirror cell to check the center spot accuracy. Not much else to do since the clouds are just rolling in....

Oh, and a big thanks to Russ Tanton who responded to my PM right away and even gave me his cell number. Now that's customer service!

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: Need help collimating Explore Scientific Mak-Newt new [Re: Hothersale]
      #5852962 - 05/10/13 10:59 PM

Removing the primary is simple. Just unscrew the 1/2 dozen or so hex head screws surrounding the back of the Comet Hunter. The mirror comes out quite easily and holds well inside its cell.

myotherforumname

Reged: 08/22/13

Re: Need help collimating Explore Scientific Mak-Newt new [Re: Fred1]
      #6181073 - 11/07/13 01:28 PM

I am not sure how old this thread is but the last comment has pushed me from lurking.
I have been trying to collimate my Comet Hunter today for the first time. From which I have found that the locking ring on the secondary is loose and that none of my Metric or Imperial hex keys fit!! Result: Rotating Secondary.
Moving onto the primary. I wanted to remove the second finder base bracket to another scope to use the excellent finder, so i try to remove the primary.
All but one of the hex head screws come off fine, the last is worn to shapeless and wont come loose for love nor money!
The words of the downloaded manual come to mind, "The comet hunter uses standard metric hex wrenches and a flat-head screwdriver to make MOST of the adjustments..." At other times try imperial or somewhere in between?
I am counting 6 different tools needed to collimate this thing. and it is sitting next to a scope 1/3 of the price that can be collimated with an opposable digit!
Not happy!!
Ok, rant over....

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Need help collimating Explore Scientific Mak-Newt new [Re: myotherforumname]
      #6181669 - 11/07/13 07:09 PM

PM Russ who responds above. He is very good about replying. Or even better do a live chat or phone support call with ES. They will take care of you for sure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2127

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics