Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
314Sprout

Reged: 06/27/12

Loc: San Diego
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: RafaelP]
      #5652502 - 01/30/13 02:52 PM

I just went to the Big Island of Hawaii last week with my C90, diagonal, 3 eyepieces, DSLR, 2 DSLR lenses, and MacAir in a CaseLogic camera backpack. The overhead bin compliant roll aboard (Costco) had my DSV-1, tripod (a 30 yr old Focal!) and my clothes for the three day work trip. The clouds were already waiting for me, I didn't have to bring them from San Diego.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: RafaelP]
      #5652521 - 01/30/13 03:10 PM

I sure like the looks of the Dwarfstar--but I am not willing to risk even a 150 buck mount to the TSA "inspectors." And I'd want to put it on a better tripod, too...so guess I am sticking with my K-Mart Blue Light Special.

Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Evansville, IN
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5658750 - 02/02/13 07:17 PM

I said I would report back after I got a chance to compare the C90 and the Questar. I've now had a chance to do so. I was really hoping the C90 would hold it's own against the Questar. I am most interested in great optics and would be thrilled to pay less for them. Never planned to get a Questar but ended up with one in a trade.

Alas, the comparision was not that close. The Questar was much brighter and sharper across the various eyepieces I tried. Contrast in the Questar was much higher as well. I have to confess, I was mildly disappointed with the C90. It was not nearly as sharp and bright as I had hoped. Perhaps the Questar is really that good or perhaps I got a bad sample of the C90.

For the price differences, they SHOULD be very different. I was hoping that might not be the case but alas, there does seem to be some coorelation between cost and performance.

I am thrilled that others have had better luck with the C90 than I. Competition is a good thing. Glad to see companies like Celestron and Explore Scientific (love the 24mm ES68) coming up with low cost, competitive items.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5659046 - 02/02/13 10:38 PM

This is interesting. The usual comparison with Questar, be it the 7" or 90mm is that Meade, Celestron are nearly as sharp but Q has a decided edge. Im wondering about collimation issues. I know is ione comparison, the Questar 7 was not having as much light throughput as a Meade 7" Mak, tho it did edge out the Meade too.

An interesting take.

Pete

Stephen S
professor emeritus

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5659138 - 02/02/13 11:44 PM

I too was a bit surprised. I once had an ETX125PE and it was optically excellent (the mount, on the other hand, drove me crazy). Weather here has been horrible so I was not able to do a detailed analysis of the C90 (e.g., did not look closely at collimation). Just enough time to do the comparison. That said, the differences were dramatic. Based on everything I've read, I think I might have gotten a dud C90.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5659379 - 02/03/13 05:29 AM

Switch it out?

Pete

Stephen S
professor emeritus

#5659654 - 02/03/13 10:13 AM

Thinking about doing just that. Alas, every time I use the Questar, I like it even more. Just tough to justify having that much money tied up in a 3.5" Mak. Decisions, decisions...

There is a very good chance I'll be traveling to Oklahoma City later this year. I think what I might do is return the one I purchased and hold off until I get to try one out in person at Astronomics. I can easily take my Questar along a test the two side by side. As a bonus, this gives me a great reasons to visit the Astronomics retail store.

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5660025 - 02/03/13 01:47 PM

Stephen,

I think its just s personal choice. Ive looked through and used a Q90mm and it is a treasure of an instrumen t and so there is a lot to be said for appreciating what it is. Had I one I think the only time Id question it is if the money sittinjg in the scope PREVENTED cash for another scope I wanted with higher resolution. That being said, you could make the case that that is the case regardless as anyone can want a larger scope. If you have all you need though and it isnt sucking up funds you could see going to better use Id keep it and love it. The scope is one finely crafted jewell.

Ill bet its a beauty on doubles too.
Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5660027 - 02/03/13 01:48 PM

How much did you put out for the Q?

Pete

Stephen S
professor emeritus

#5661342 - 02/04/13 09:22 AM

Good question concerning what I paid for the Questar. I got it in a trade so it's tough to say exactly. The stuff I traded would have sold for roughly $2,200 to $2,400. My Questar is a 1992 version with a Zerodur mirror and Broadband coating. It's a beauty and I likely will keep it at this point, partly as a piece of art. It's the only telescope item that my wife actually likes. She keeps trying to talk me out of selling it. This is the ONLY telescope item she'd be sad to see me sell.

That said, having a grab and go set-up that I can throw in the car and not obsess about it's safety would be great. I still plan to get either a 90mm MAK or an 80mm refractor as a grab and go set up. I was hoping the C90 might serve this purpose. It may still do so IF I can find one I can try in advance. We shall see...

Atl
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/12

#5663187 - 02/05/13 09:48 AM

I don't understand the collector attitude to these Questars. Were they not made for observing? If it delivers top quality views then use it for a grab and go travel scope...wear it out. Why leave it parked on someones mantel because they are afraid to use it. I am sure it is way more durable and well put together than a C90 (which I have by the way and I like).

Panotaker
sage

Reged: 09/12/03

Loc: Austin, Texas
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: Atl]
      #5664024 - 02/05/13 05:35 PM

Most of us Questar owners that hang out on these forums do use our Questars. We like looking at them as much as we like looking through them. I own a few scopes, and the Questar is the only one my wife likes, so it is setup on a shelf in the living room. When I want to use it, I just grab the scope and the tripod and take it out side. I use it all the time. It is over 50 years old, and still looks and works like new. It's pretty hard to wear out a Questar. They wear out faster if you dont use them.

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: Panotaker]
      #6266647 - 12/22/13 10:51 AM

Well, if the wife likes it, I'd say it's yours forever. And doesn't hurt at all that it doubles as decorative art for the house. Never owned a Questar, so I don't have to deal with that delemma.

But just to play Devil's Advocate, StephenS, you know you could compare your Questar to an Orion Starmax 102 (or Meade 105). I know, it's not "fair", but life isn't fair and money talks. It may best a Synta 90mm, but will it best a Chinese 102mm? For sure selling it would pay for the modest upgrade in Chinese optics aperture, and you'd still end up with an infinitely portable scope that could perhaps outperform its costly, more artistic Questar Cousin.

Not trying to cause grief with the wife. Sometimes money isn't the object. Just think about how absurd jewelry is. I mean, zirconia looks exactly like a diamond, but most women don't look at it that way. Domestic tranquility cannot be measured in terms of telescope purchases, so you may be far the wiser ignoring market value and optics opportunity costs, StephenS. I think my Devil's Advocate postulation of 102 Synta vs 90mm Questar is reasonable on economic grounds, but life has more considerations than only purely economic considerations. Perhaps this is one of those circumstances. Perhaps the Questar is now more "her" art than "your" optics. If that's the case, a mountain of TeleVue refractors wouldn't be worth trading it for. Tread carefully, my friend.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11849

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics