Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: idealistic]
      #5556592 - 12/05/12 10:41 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt take a Questar to central park in the middle of the night. Just saying....

How could you, living in Massachetts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: RafaelP]
      #5556622 - 12/05/12 10:55 PM

I've had a Meade 90 Mak (I gave it away) and have a Questar (which I'll likely sell). I prefer refractors in that size.

Have you ever observed from areas about 2.5 hours West of Manhattan (e.g., just East of Hancock, NY off Rte. 17)? Are the skies clear enough there to be a useful observing location?

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

#5556970 - 12/06/12 07:17 AM

Quote:

Hello all! I live in midtown Manhattan which probably has some of the worst light pollution in the world. I am limited as to what I can see, the planets and the moon mostly (I did see the Orion nebula and the Jovian moons last night with 10x40b Zeiss binoculars on the roof of my apartment building.)

I want something small and portable which I can take the roof or walk to Central Park with. A 90mm Mak might fit the bill!

I am trying to decide between the two common ones. The Celestron C90 and the Orion StarMax 90 tabletop.
I have read good things about the Celestron, but not as much out there about the StarMax. The StarMax is $50 more, but comes with an extra eyepiece and a simple mount.

Any opinions on choosing between the two? Any other diminutive ones I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Rafael

I just sent you a PM.

RafaelP

Reged: 12/01/12

Loc: NYC
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: JJK]
      #5557433 - 12/06/12 12:22 PM

John-(return PM sent)
The only observing I have done so far is through my binoculars, this will be my first experience with a telescope. The Amateur Astronomers Association of New York is having viewings in Central Park on December 20 and 21st. I hope to go, talk to some people to find how they deal with the city!
~R

Edited by RafaelP (12/06/12 12:28 PM)

RafaelP

#5557623 - 12/06/12 02:12 PM

Does anyone know if there have been side to side comparisons between the Orion SkyMax 90mm and the Celestron C90? I know they have same Chinese manufacturer, but I assume they could have slightly different specs...

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5557643 - 12/06/12 02:27 PM

The differences optically are very minor between these two--and the other Chinese MCTS, as well. I would give a slight edge to the C90, though.

RafaelP

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5557678 - 12/06/12 02:52 PM

Thanks Rod! I am finding your "The Urban Astronomer's Guide" book very helpful!
-R

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5557702 - 12/06/12 03:06 PM

Glad you like it!

fuzzystuff4ever

Reged: 11/26/12

Loc: Micco, FL
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5557751 - 12/06/12 03:34 PM

I have one of the new C90s and it has suburb optics, and seems to be built like a tank. The finder is junk, however; I tossed it and installed a "Mars Eye" red dot finder from an old Stellarvue scope. Actually, pretty much all the accessories which came with the scope are junk except the carry bag, but the whole setup was only about $160 so definitely worth it.

Brian

LateViewer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Manhattan
      #5557907 - 12/06/12 05:14 PM

Bism (?)

Thanks for posting the link to the Central Park Observing blog. Very cool. I have not seen that before.

There was a question asked about Hancock NY (off of Rt.17) and how good would that be to observe. In a word great! If you look at the light pollution maps you will find that it is in a blue zone and as dark as it gets around the Big Apple.

The place I go to, also in the blue zone and not far away is Stone Tavern Farm I was there last month on a weekday and had it all to myself.

I try to get there once a month when my schedule permits. It is a private horse farm and more and they charge $20.00 a head to set up and camp. This time of year I just set up and stay in a motel. If you have a spot in Hancock already I would say you are set though the horizons at Stone Tavern are excellent.

As far as observing in the city; well I observed from the corner of 72nd and 3rd last year and looked at Jupiter and the Moon and drew a crowd. My girlfriend, who had never seen Jupiter before noted that the telescope is a chick magnet. Better than a dog or a baby!

I also take peaks from my apartment windows which faces east and south and is ok for a fix. This past spring I got to the roof to observe the transit of Venus.

That is a 92mm TMB on a Universal MacroStar that I like for the city as well as this.

66mm WO that I keep set up all the time.

Good luck and I hope to see guys around.

Al

RafaelP

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: LateViewer]
      #5558310 - 12/06/12 09:22 PM

Al- Bism was a fellow I responded to on a previous page...
Thanks for all the pictures! Stone Tavern Farm looks wonderful. I need to get out of the city more often. Maybe I should try Metro North to Cold Springs.

You can see the sky from 72nd and 3rd?!

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: LateViewer]
      #5558335 - 12/06/12 09:40 PM

Quote:

There was a question asked about Hancock NY (off of Rt.17) and how good would that be to observe. In a word great! If you look at the light pollution maps you will find that it is in a blue zone and as dark as it gets around the Big Apple.

The place I go to, also in the blue zone and not far away is Stone Tavern Farm I was there last month on a weekday and had it all to myself.

I try to get there once a month when my schedule permits. It is a private horse farm and more and they charge $20.00 a head to set up and camp. This time of year I just set up and stay in a motel. If you have a spot in Hancock already I would say you are set though the horizons at Stone Tavern are excellent.
Al

Al,

Thanks for the local info.

I did notice that the area around Hancock, NY has dark skies (according to the Dark Sky app). Do you know what the average night time cloud coverage is? If I moved to NYC, I'd be tempted to get a parcel of land outside the city if the weather was cooperative.

JJK

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5559038 - 12/07/12 10:50 AM

There is a package under the Christmas tree with my name on it that looks suspiciously like the dimensions of a C90 box!!!

RafaelP

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5560640 - 12/08/12 10:34 AM

Good luck! I may end up getting the Orion StarMax since it comes with everything needed. Although I wish it came with the nice little backpack!

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/22/05

Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW
      #5560845 - 12/08/12 12:54 PM

The C-90 is priced $149.95 on Amazon.Com with free shipping.

Jim

RafaelP

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: JIMZ7]
      #5562445 - 12/09/12 01:12 PM

I know! Telescope.com has the StarMax 90 for $189. Is still can't decide...

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5562655 - 12/09/12 03:34 PM

I'd opt for the Celestron tho both are probably ok. You shouldn't be in Central Park at night at all for anything much less with a scope. Opt for the rooftop or balcony. Open window observing is subject to flaring and bloating from temperature differences but if its dogging at you low power is passable here. Obviously thru the window is an astigmatic night mare.

I will say a 5" sct by Celestron takes up no more room on an apartment than a C90. It's extremely negligible. It costs a little more but it's still cheap and the angular resolution and magnification carrying capacity is substantially higher.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (12/09/12 03:36 PM)

LateViewer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Manhattan
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5562715 - 12/09/12 04:13 PM

There are people who set up in Central Park, with telescopes, at night on a regular basis.

The mayors girl friend walks her dog there by herself at night.

New York, I think, is very different from what people remember it being. It is the safest big city in the US.

I myself walk through the park often on my way home.

prestonrich
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/07

Loc: Washington DC Mayland suburbs
Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? [Re: LateViewer]
      #5562727 - 12/09/12 04:19 PM

I have a Questar 3.5 (see sig) but I prefer binoviewing w/my C5 and Brandons. Also use a BIPH w/that C5. Real portable...fast setup. Love it.

RafaelP

Re: Which 90mm Mak for tiny Apartment and travel? [Re: azure1961p]
      #5563095 - 12/09/12 08:34 PM

Unfortunately all I see from my apartment windows is the next building over! Also, I would really like to be able to take the scope with me when I go traveling. I can always get a larger one!

Edited by RafaelP (12/09/12 08:34 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11840

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics