Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: BigC]
      #5628823 - 01/17/13 08:25 PM

Wow, just reading your story makes my stomach ache. I had a similar thing happen with a Canada Goose jacket I bought on the Bay. (Hey, it was for ASTRO, so I wouldn't freeze to death.) The jacket wasn't new, and wasn't a Canada Goose, but had Canada Goose patches sewn in. Again: guy was VERY insistent about No Returns. (Con Man 101 must teach that being insistent gets people to usually back off, or something.) The best part was that the inner lining of the pockets had the name of another company as part of the material! Man, finally got my money back...but it was stomach wrenching. I feel for you.

Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: psandelle]
      #5628868 - 01/17/13 08:55 PM

Thanks again for your words of support, this validates the feeling I have had about this site, generally a large extended family that watches out for one another.
If possible I would get on the good side of your Post Master
if you do shipping.
Your comments have had a genuine positive effect on me, I'm also going to stay away from that site for Astro sales.
As far as shipping across the pond, I have had nothing but GOOD experience from you in other countries. I have know reason why why people wont ship to you? The paper work isn't that bad and my PO will let me take copys home to have filled out at home before I get there, It must be like people not wanting to ship Dobs...
THANK YOU ALL...

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: orion61]
      #5628895 - 01/17/13 09:14 PM

For me personally I like to print US postage and leave it on my porch for the friendly delivery guy to pick up for free. It's much preferable to getting up early on a saturday morning and waiting in line for 30 minutes while the people in front of me want the less friendly postal worker at the counter to pack their boxes for them, print them 10 money orders for very small amounts, etc.

Last time I shipped overseas it was an AP .67x telecompressor. It was in excellent shape but used. I got a paypal dispute while I was away on vacation demanding a full refund (including shipping) for the "new item, significantly not as described" because "the glass was loose". It is a cemented doublet lens and therefore the glass can't come loose relative to each other. What happened was the retaining ring needed to be re-tightened a 20th of a turn. The language barrier didn't help but he wouldn't let me explain that it wasn't worth his expense to ship it back when he could fix it himself. He insisted though and finally removed the claim after I refunded him minus my shipping cost and he then sent it back. Lucky me, he might not have sent it back at all after I refunded him. Meanwhile I had a hold put on my paypal account while it was slowly being resolved.

Oh and another time not the buyer's fault but Fedex charged me twice and it was hundreds and hundreds of dollars! That was a few hours to clear up and get my credit card usable again.

So I'm not doing that again, my apologies to the honest folks outside the USA.

After hundreds of deals my scammer radar has gotten pretty good. But all it takes is one bad deal to give you a sour taste but I know 99.2% of people on astromart and cloudynights are good, much higher percentage than the general population!

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #5628921 - 01/17/13 09:29 PM

Sorry to hear that.

I was once bidding for an "ex-NASA" C8 on the bay, but was beaten by another bidder. 'No worries' I said, 'that's the way the mop flops'. But 30 mins after the ebay auction closed, the buyer advertized it on AstroMart for more than he paid for it, and he had the nerve to repost the ebay photos! In the AstroMart ad, he claimed to have owned it for years, outstanding views, blah blah blah. I called him on it and got a highly abusive email for my effort. A week later I contacted the original seller and explained the scam, and was told that the buyer had not paid for it. I left negative feedback for the scam artist on AM, and he has not been back.

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: hottr6]
      #5628940 - 01/17/13 09:44 PM

Just this last 10 days or so lots of high end cameras and even a telescope or two listed in London UK (but check seller's other items and see that most other items are in the USA and $30 tops). All are buy it now for "ONLY 2600 USD" (like we americans call our currency USD...) and "don't contact me through ebay, "contact me at ukscammer@gmail.com"

Buyer... and Seller! beware!

maknewtnut

Reged: 10/08/06

#5629057 - 01/17/13 10:53 PM

Way to go Larry!

Starman27Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: BigC]
      #5629687 - 01/18/13 10:56 AM

Your well earned reputation is intact.

Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: Starman27]
      #5629824 - 01/18/13 12:00 PM

Glad to hear things are working out for you man... I hear you - its getting worse and worse. I've been selling on ebay for years and on forums as well and I read about more of these issues daily it seems.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: gillmj24]
      #5629945 - 01/18/13 01:16 PM

Quote:

Just this last 10 days or so lots of high end cameras and even a telescope or two listed in London UK (but check seller's other items and see that most other items are in the USA and $30 tops). All are buy it now for "ONLY 2600 USD" (like we americans call our currency USD...) and "don't contact me through ebay, "contact me at ukscammer@gmail.com"

Buyer... and Seller! beware!

I do a lot with musical instrument on the bay and those ones where the text is all graphics and they don't want you to bid but contact them directly instead are always scams (and of course against the bay rules). It just ticks me off that the bay can't take care of that problem. Often the same item shows up over and over just using a different account each time. It makes me wonder how many people they take in since some of these items are high dollar items. I jerked one of the scammers around for a while just to waste his time.

Most of the people here and on Amart are very good though and Amart in particular does a lot to weed out the scammers. But it is hard to catch them all.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: EFT]
      #5630111 - 01/18/13 03:23 PM

I have a scope at Larry's right now, and can't imagine anyone wanting to hassle him. His work is more a labor of love and a public service than a business (although I hope it's successful as a business), based on his love of telescopes and his personal crusade to preserve vintage C8s and other classic scopes.

I have a confession to make. When I was balking and wondering how I would ever fix my salt-encrusted C8, several of the members here on Cloudy Nights recommended I ship it to Larry for refurbishing. At the time, I had never heard of Larry. Still, those referrals would have enough for me (I remember one was from Tim53), partly because I believed the folks here to be sincere, but also partly because I had nothing to lose except the postage. Moreover, since I was going to document the entire process here on Cloudy Nights Classics Forum, I figured if anything went way wrong, it would hurt the scammer more than me. Nothing personal, Larry. I didn't know you at the time, so I was just thinking protectively, as you did before you knew A.R. Great minds think alike. It's okay to be protective while getting to know people. Your not getting ripped off by A.R. amply proves this point.

At this stage, I don't have the scope back yet because Larry hasn't finished it, but his integrity has become perfectly clear to me as we have become email and telephone friends throughout the refurbishing. Not that anyone should be subject to a scam, but really -- Larry?! What low life could do this to Larry?

Anyway, thanks, Larry, for tipping us off. Are you at liberty to tell us through what mysterious auction site this happened, or is that immaterial, so better not to mention them by name?

I feel strongly in the importance of being able to buy online. Not just the folks in deepest Canada or furthest Scotland live far from telescope shops. Most of us do. Online reputations matter.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: EFT]
      #5630304 - 01/18/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

Most of the people here and on Amart are very good though and Amart in particular does a lot to weed out the scammers. But it is hard to catch them all.

That is one reason why I like Astromart, the frequency of scammers there seems to be pretty low. I've only had about 50-60 transactions there over the past decade but I've never come across a scammer.

I've found sites that require a fee to join have fewer scammers than free sites. That is probably one reason for the lack of scammers there. Why pay $15 in a small, niche community if it won't pay off?

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: neotesla]
      #5630609 - 01/18/13 09:21 PM

Quote:

Seeing that shipping wise I appear to be on the far side of the moon, I can only hope this does not sour everyone into not shipping.

Just sent a C9.25 off to Moldovia! It had to go surface as there's a 2 meter length + girth limit. At least once I got it to Elisabeth, NJ, my risks are somewhat limited.

A lot more things are lost to bad packing and handling than criminals. I say criminal because insurance fraud is specifically classified as a crime in all states. But conservative estimates place property and casualty payouts on fraudulent claims at more than $30 billion annually. If the fraud involves the use of the internet, then we can make a federal case out it, wire fraud.

eBay has instituted a Global shipping service. What's involved isn't exactly clear, other than more revenue for eBay. I assume that they have lined up international surface shippers to bundle eBay goods in containers. The good is if you sell internationally your only obligation is to get the goods to the port. For the overseas buyer there should be some savings in the shipping costs.

Paypal's 3% fee is pretty much in line with most merchant card account fees. The credit card companies operate in the same way in the face of buyer complaints. As a seller you have to be prepared for claims if you are going prevail on a claim. Serial numbers and other means of identifying an object are essential.

FeynmanFan
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: N Colo front range
      #5630685 - 01/18/13 10:19 PM

You shipped it USPS, and he tried to do a UPS claim? That's beyond bizarre.

orion61

Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: FeynmanFan]
      #5631275 - 01/19/13 10:29 AM

Quote:

You shipped it USPS, and he tried to do a UPS claim? That's beyond bizarre.

No Im sorry my KBD is bad and I have a couple sticky keys
I have to push the S hard and forget about it sometime..
I'd switch it out if it wasn't a laptop he tried a usps claim..Sorry for the confusion

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5631581 - 01/19/13 01:29 PM

Call the Postal Inspectors if you want the guy to have a bad day. When I was with the NYS AG's Consumer Frauds division referrals to the PI were always pursued seriously.

Attemping to defraud the US Postal Service is covered under the federal False Claims Act, and a felony. Just ask Lance Armstrong. This also means that whistleblowers who expose fraudulent claims to the Postal Service may bring a "Qui Tam lawsuit" on the governments behalf recover money lost in postal service fraud schemes and can recover 15% to 30% of the government’s recovery. Doubt you'll find an attorney to take on a case here, given the amount involved, but it's not nice to screw with the USPS.

orion61

Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: Geo.]
      #5631892 - 01/19/13 05:15 PM

Why hire an attorney when I have you?
I am going to talk to My Post Master next week.
Let him have a couple bad nights!

Julio
sage

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: Pembroke Pines ,FL
      #5632048 - 01/19/13 07:07 PM

Interesting George, thanks for the information.

bogg
sage

Reged: 11/17/09

Loc: Bruce County Ontario
Re: WARNING!! Attempted Scam!!! new [Re: Julio]
      #5632878 - 01/20/13 10:08 AM

Sorry to hear about your trouble. It seems some people just want everything for nothing. Glad you were so savy to take all of the pecautions. Nothing like instinct.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2572

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics