Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: ColoHank]
      #5637121 - 01/22/13 03:08 PM

Rich,

I agree with Mike E. The Q 3.5 is contained in a small case that is carry on airline size. This case contains: the scope, an equatorial mount, a finder scope with flip sun filter, two very high quality EPs, three tripod legs, a sun filter, a removable dew cap with star chart and moon chart printed on it, built in barlow, built in correct view prism, power cord, axial hole that allows camera attachment and still allows EP viewing with a touch of a built in lever and a screw on lens cap. Those are all standard equipment that would need to be added to your TEC to match oranges to oranges. With the simple addition of a PowerGuide hand control you are free of the power cord and have a smart quartz sidereal and lunar tracking mount (this system also fits in the case). This is an all-in-one system for one price.

Bill

Edited by Billydee (01/22/13 03:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: donnie3]
      #5637359 - 01/22/13 05:10 PM

. . . .and, a Questar is truly a classic.

Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Carmel, IN
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: GeneT]
      #5638072 - 01/23/13 12:02 AM

Here's why I (still) have a Questar...

My best scope optically speaking is a homemade 12.5" dob that I got in a trade. It's not pretty (affectionately dubbed "Scruffy"). My wife tolerates my hobby but does not share my passion. If I wanted to get rid of "Scruffy", she could not get the door opened fast enough to help me.

My Questar ("Pretty Boy") also came to me via a trade. It has a great balance of form and function. But, alas, I really had my heart set on a TV NP101. I didn't think I could justify getting an NP101 even at used prices without selling the Questar. So, I briefly put the Questar up for sale or trade. My wife (the same person that would gladly show "Scruffy" the door) encouraged me to keep the Questar, buy the NP101 and compare the two before deciding which of the two to keep.

So I got a used NP101 ("Goldilocks") and immediately feel in love with the scope. After much debate, I decided I would sell the Questar to cover the cost of the recently acquired NP101.

Imagine my surprise when my wife encouraged me to keep both! Note that she has not look THROUGH either scope. Her comment was that the Questar is such a good scope to look AT, a piece of art, that she would hate to see it go.

There are a number of scopes that trump the Questar from a pure function for the dollar perspective. You'd be very hard pressed to find a scope that outperforms the Questar from a form and function perspective.

Any scope that gets my wife excited about my hobby is a pure winner from my perspective. One of the many reason I am a fan of the Questar.

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5638339 - 01/23/13 07:42 AM

Here is a thread I started that shows 2 sets of Q pics inside a Q cut in half. It was used in an add in the early '80's.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5549953/page...

Edited by Darren Drake (01/23/13 07:43 AM)

greedyshark
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: 3rd Rock
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5639234 - 01/23/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's like owning a Harley. If we have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

Questars don't leak oil, they aren't noisy, they don't shake and rattle, and they idle without having to goose the throttle.

Thus, more like a Honda.

I would say more like a Rolls Royce - Ghost Saloon.

...in Mystic Purple.

Charles

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: greedyshark]
      #5639497 - 01/23/13 08:00 PM

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5640918 - 01/24/13 03:25 PM

I tried out to a 1958 or 59 Questar in the early 90's,
It was a beautiful telescope, built to the highest standard machine wise. I loved to have it in my hands feeling the Buttery smooth action. But under the stars it was a real dog!
My B&L 4000 was better! Stars showed about 6 diffraction rings, on the Questar! Horrible S.A.
I passed on it, still have the B&L. I would expect the poor performance due to the early production. Even tho they claim a Lifetime warranty against materials and workmanship,
they wouldn't do anything about it, even tho the original owner said he would send it to avoid warranty issues.
I was so turned off by their Cavalier attitude it made me sick. Doesn't lifetime mean more than 32 years?
You can keep em' I have an ETX 90 1st series I love and would rather loose my hand than sell it...

Ed Kessler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/17/06

Loc: Millersburg, PA
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: Eric P]
      #5641260 - 01/24/13 07:00 PM

Quote:

Here is a short film on the subject

That's good!

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: orion61]
      #5641985 - 01/25/13 06:33 AM

Quote:

.................You can keep em' I have an ETX 90 1st series I love and would rather loose my hand than sell it...

I would toss my Questar 7 in the trash, rather than loose even the tip of a finger.
This is only a hobby after all.

jmasin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)
      #5642290 - 01/25/13 10:31 AM

I'm lost, what watch should I buy again?

(I'm a watch collector also)

RossSackett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: Eric P]
      #5642345 - 01/25/13 11:08 AM

Quote:

Here is a short film on the subject

That is hilarious. We've all been there.

Yu Gu

Reged: 06/18/06

#5642351 - 01/25/13 11:11 AM

Because they are expensive, they must be special

They wouldn't compete as well if they were cheaper...

So they have to be expensive...

Just like a Leica, or many other brands...

Quote:

what in heavens name is so special about a questar telescope. aperture is aperture and these scopes are so small, what can you see with them that makes them so expensive. donnie

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: orion61]
      #5642531 - 01/25/13 12:57 PM

Quote:

I tried out to a 1958 or 59 Questar in the early 90's,
It was a beautiful telescope, built to the highest standard machine wise. I loved to have it in my hands feeling the Buttery smooth action. But under the stars it was a real dog!

Reading between the lines, it appears that particular Questar was a used instrument which you once considered buying. If that's indeed the case, then you're lucky to have discovered its many faults before plunking down any cash.

In another thread, however, you claim to have owned the scope, and you voice the same criticisms of its performance. If that's true, and if you had a chance to examine it and observe through it before purchase, then why did you buy it?

If the scope was used, perhaps the previous owner mistreated it somehow, in which case Questar would be under no obligation to repair it under warranty. Or perhaps, though the previous owner handled it with kid gloves, it simply needed a cleaning and tune-up. After several decades of even careful use, I'd expect moving parts to wear, lubricants to dry out, etc.

Questars are not warranted for life, as you allege. They are warranted for only ten years. If the scope was actually 32 years old when you either owned or considered buying it, then it would be unreasonable to expect the company to repair it under warranty.

Finally, Questar maintains a parts inventory, or can manufacture the parts anew, for every scope it ever made since the mid-1950s, and the company willingly accepts any and all of its scopes for repair or refurbishing regardless of age. If an instrument returned to them is not under warranty, Questar rightly charges for those parts and services.

Here's hoping that you continue to enjoy marvelous views through your ETX and B&L scopes for many years to come, and that you never have to return them to their manufacturers for warranty (or other) repairs.

blave

Reged: 08/11/09

#5643062 - 01/25/13 06:01 PM

Quote:

what in heavens name is so special about a questar telescope. aperture is aperture and these scopes are so small, what can you see with them that makes them so expensive. donnie

I first saw the famous cutaway image of a Questar 3.5" scope in my then-new copy of The Telescope Guide and Star Atlas book, which was one the two astro books I got from my parents on my 21st birthday, and wanted one from that moment on (I can't tell you how many times I opened that book just to look at the cutaway). Twenty-nine years later I finally bought myself one for my 50th birthday... It certainly has its limits but its functionality and portability cannot be beat by anything, not to mention its craftsmanship and overall quality. Yes, they're very expensive (I bought a restored 1972 model, as even I couldn't justify $5K for a new one) but I will keep mine "forever".

dark skies,

Dave B.
San Jose, CA

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: blave]
      #5643071 - 01/25/13 06:05 PM

I see that cutaway Q every time I'm at work. Check out the link from the earlier in this thread....

jouster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/05

Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #5651061 - 01/29/13 08:03 PM

I wouldn't buy one - I need more aperture for my dollar that they can give me - but I always check them out at NEAF. They are so beautifully made.

teskridg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/15/08

Loc: PA
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: jmasin]
      #5651296 - 01/29/13 10:23 PM

Quote:

I have an Omega Seamaster, and my friends with Rolexes say it keeps better time; of course, if accuracy is an issue, then get the Casio. Tim

ukcanuck
Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: London, UK
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: teskridg]
      #5653646 - 01/31/13 06:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have an Omega Seamaster, and my friends with Rolexes say it keeps better time; of course, if accuracy is an issue, then get the Casio. Tim

I have a vintage Automatic Omega Constellation. It falls asleep after two days if I don't keep wearing it and is a bit of a pain at times...but I don't care. I love wearing it.

I bet there are discussions very similar to this on watch forums too! I think the watch analogy is a rather good one. I've been to a few watch shows in London and see enthusiasists/collectors appreciate why the time consumed in building things by hand results in a watch that can carry a 4, 5-figure or even 6 figure sum (or higher still). Sometimes the movement can be a mass-produced ETA example and the work is in the casing or complications, but for the really high prices how about a watch with a custom mechanism and a Tourbillon?

For what it is and what it represents, I actually think the Questar is quite reasonably priced.

Just my two

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5653809 - 01/31/13 08:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have a vintage Automatic Omega Constellation. It falls asleep after two days if I don't keep wearing it and is a bit of a pain at times...but I don't care. I love wearing it.

I bet there are discussions very similar to this on watch forums too! I think the watch analogy is a rather good one. I've been to a few watch shows in London and see enthusiasists/collectors appreciate why the time consumed in building things by hand results in a watch that can carry a 4, 5-figure or even 6 figure sum (or higher still). Sometimes the movement can be a mass-produced ETA example and the work is in the casing or complications, but for the really high prices how about a watch with a custom mechanism and a Tourbillon?

For what it is and what it represents, I actually think the Questar is quite reasonably priced.

Just my two

I use a winder at night. Place your watch on the winder when you are not using it and it will stay wound.

Tony

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: ukcanuck]
      #5654439 - 01/31/13 02:35 PM

Quote:

.........For what it is and what it represents, I actually think the Questar is quite reasonably priced.

I would agree, and no upgrading needed. Watches like Omega and Rolex are also worth the investment. My current Yachtmaster watch has increased 43% in value since I purchased it four and a half years ago; what bank will give you that kind of return ?
I believe Questar scopes will hold their value long into the future, like Skylight Refractors.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4078

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics