Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Panotaker
sage

Reged: 09/12/03

Loc: Austin, Texas
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5656649 - 02/01/13 04:05 PM

Questars are not necessary expensive, you just have to know how to shop. Two years ago, I didn't own any Questars. Today I own four of them, and I have only spent $1000 total. The first one I bought is a 1959 model Standard. I paid $150 from a local picker. The solar filter was cross threaded on, so he thought it was broke because he couldn't see anything through it. Scope looks absolutely brand new. Second one is a Questar birder with all the options. I paid $400 for that one from another picker out of state. I thought I was going to get burnt on that one because the guy wanted me to send him a money gram to the local Walmart. I figured since I was ahead on the first one, if I lost $400, I would still be ahead. 3 days later, a prestine Questar birder showed up with not even a speck of dust on it. I don't know how many Questar Birders where sold with the fast focuser, but I don't know of anyone else that has one. The third one is a Questar field model. This one was owned by a 80 year old widow. She was giving it away for free on craigslist and had no takers till I showed up. She was actually trying to sell a broken tripod for $100 and was giving away the scope that was mounted on it at the time her husband broke the tripod. I emailed her and asked about the scope. She said her husband told her that the scope broke when the tripod broke. I offered her $100 for the broken scope and told her she could keep the tripod. So I sent her $150 to cover shipping and figured that the two eyepieces where worth at least that much. A few days later, a perfect Questar field model shows up. So I called her and offered to send her more money for the scope, but she refused. She was happy it went to a good home. A few days later, she mails me a check for $30 because it only cost her $20 to ship me the scope. I still have the check. The fourth one is a 700mm Questar lens that I got on Ebay for $400. No one else bid on it. The lens has a bunch of scratches on the body, but the optics are perfect. The lens belonged to a pro that used it in Africa, so that explained all the scratches on the body. So no, not all Questar scopes are expensive, and deals are still out there to be found. You just have to be patient and do a lot of digging.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: Panotaker]
      #5656661 - 02/01/13 04:11 PM

Wow now thats some good luck. Any of those would be the deal of the decade and you found all that in 2 years. I need to check Craigslist more often and get to know some local pickers....

wz2
Most Boring Astronomer...

Reged: 07/30/10

Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: Panotaker]
      #5658248 - 02/02/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

The first one I bought is a 1959 model Standard. I paid $150 from a local picker.

OK, I'll bite, what's a "picker?"

Chris

Panotaker
sage

Reged: 09/12/03

Loc: Austin, Texas
Re: my curiosity is bugging me! new [Re: wz2]
      #5658399 - 02/02/13 03:52 PM

A picker is somebody that bids and buys abandon storage lockers. When people rent a storage locker to store their stuff, they have to pay monthly rent. If they don't pay, they auction off the contents of the storage locker. A picker is one of those persons that buys those lockers. They then sell off the contents little by little and try to make a profit. They also buy stuff from people that have a garage or barn full of junk. They will pick through their junk, and buy anything they think they can sell. Picking has become popular now because there are a bunch of TV shows that show the pickers making tons of money by finding all kinds of treasures in abandon storage lockers. In reality, most of the time they buy a locker full of somebody else's junk.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3586

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics