Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland
Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: Rfriedman]
      #5637213 - 01/22/13 03:59 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

I would have said that it was a 1975 based on the first two digits of the number.

The attached image shows the various numbers I'm aware of for D8s - the odd one is spinyeal's D8 where the base serial number is relatively high (#1960) being close to two 1975/76 base numbers (#2048 and #2480) yet the ring number (#710031) suggest a 1971 model.

James

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gil V
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: Masvingo]
      #5637431 - 01/22/13 05:43 PM

I like that registry. I might be able to add a serial number to it.

Biggest thing that concerns me about that scope is the lack of a dust cover on the rear cell, but if in the case it should be ok. Where are you located?

highfnum
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/06

Loc: NE USA
      #5637557 - 01/22/13 07:01 PM

nice table - thx

Rfriedman

Reged: 01/20/13

Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: highfnum]
      #5638767 - 01/23/13 11:49 AM

I am in Los Angeles. I listed it on Craigslist and have gotten several inquiries. If you are near LA, I am having a garage sale on Sunday. I couple of people are coming then to take a look at the Dynamax.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: Gil V]
      #5639233 - 01/23/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

I might be able to add a serial number to it.

Hi Gil

That would be great, the more numbers we have the better!

James

Rfriedman

Reged: 01/20/13

Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: Gil V]
      #5639375 - 01/23/13 06:24 PM

Los Angeles

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: Rfriedman]
      #5642334 - 01/25/13 10:58 AM

The last Dynamax 8 I noticed on ebay sold for $300 a couple weeks ago.one with the Golden Pyramid tripod brought $675.

Not sure if the buyers are users or collectors. An item of not-so-wonderful usefulness can still be a valuable collectors item.

wander3

Reged: 03/10/11

Loc: Florida
      #5691980 - 02/20/13 11:28 PM

Just saw your list with my scope, serial No. 2048. The ring number is 760172. I am definetly keeping mine and going to attempt removing the corrector for cleaning. Seems to have some mold. A few years back I had someone who rated optics on some of the Russian scopes look at it and he said it was good. Guess I got lucky!

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: wander3]
      #5693230 - 02/21/13 05:54 PM

Thanks for the ring number, I'll add it to the list. Does your 'scope have the long declination arm? What colour is the mount? It's good to hear you are keeping yours.

James

wander3

Reged: 03/10/11

Loc: Florida
      #5693690 - 02/21/13 10:27 PM

Hi James

My scope looks exactly like Rfriedman's - dark grey mount, short dec arm and the blue case too! Have a few Criterion eyepieces all marked AR. I did purchase the Golden Pyramid tripod seperately. Its as sturdy as they say. Thanks for starting records on them. I hope more will add to it.

Steve

Karl Fabian

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Illinois
Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5699103 - 02/24/13 11:18 PM

That makes a lot of sense. Lawyers brought a company down when Criterion was forbidden to produce consistently decent correctors using a method that in my opinion Celestron could never prove they invented or had exclusive rights to. I read some parts of the lawsuit and in my opinion it was a crock on the part of Celestron. Sometimes I wonder if there may have been some industrial sabotage involved as well as a well orchestrated bashing campaign invoked at that time (cardboard tubes, no bearings on either axis,...and later fantastic and ridiculous stories about plain common window glass installed instead of correctors etc etc") During the lawsuit stage the optics had to suffer, but most of the other claims are IMHO gross exaggerations, half truths and in some cases total fairy tales. Criterion produced superb Newtonians and was fully capable of producing good SCTs until the Celestron lawsuit wrecked the company. Dynamaxs were selling well with no tales about unusable optics until the lawsuit hit home. Even during the lawsuit stage and after the Dynamax had a full warranty just like the Dynascope. Wouldn't you think a well known and established company like Criterion would like to know about a window glass non corrector and would immediately replace the scope and investigate the matter? Of course they would. But we are supposed to believe stories like that without the slightest amount of evidence or documentation.

IOW, the ones before their chickens came home to roost in the form of a Celestron lawsuit.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: Karl Fabian]
      #5699261 - 02/25/13 02:54 AM

Interesting stuff Karl. Why did Celestron just pick on Criterion and not Meade? Did they feel that Criterion was a bigger threat to them. I know there is some years in between here, but thought they would have the same mentality (Celestron that is) in the early 80's. bob

Karl Fabian

Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: bob midiri]
      #5699584 - 02/25/13 10:23 AM

Quote:

Interesting stuff Karl. Why did Celestron just pick on Criterion and not Meade? Did they feel that Criterion was a bigger threat to them. I know there is some years in between here, but thought they would have the same mentality (Celestron that is) in the early 80's. bob

Its a good question Bob why the lawsuit did not involve Meade. Just speculation of course but I wonder about the possibility of a behind the scenes agreement between C and M that there was only enough room for two manufacturers in the very lucrative SCT market. Criterion did extremely well with the Dynascope line and were cranking out those very good Newtonians at an affordable price. Being a well known and respected company, Criterion without a law suit and the problems that entailed, may have been in a position to dominate the SCT market or a least hurt Celestron (and Meade) in a big way. Not enough room for 3 manufacturers. That's the real reason why law suits are made. Celestron saw them as a real threat so the earlier Dynascopes at least were good enough that they (Celestron) were concerned with big inroads into their sales. If the Dynascope was total rubbish and no threat at that time it would not make much sense to embroil your company in a possibly very costly legal battle.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: bob midiri]
      #5699621 - 02/25/13 10:46 AM

Quote:

Well, for one thing, Meade was not making SCTs at the time. Anyway, the court decided, and it was pretty clear to most of us at the time, that Celestron, in the person of Tom Johnson, had most assuredly invented and patented their master block process, which was different from what had been done before. AND that Criterion had infringed.

Karl Fabian

#5699854 - 02/25/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, for one thing, Meade was not making SCTs at the time. Anyway, the court decided, and it was pretty clear to most of us at the time, that Celestron, in the person of Tom Johnson, had most assuredly invented and patented their master block process, which was different from what had been done before. AND that Criterion had infringed.

Didn,t the legal battle drag on for ten years and end up in an out of court settlement? Correct me if I am wrong but Meade came out in 1980 with their first SCT and I think the dispute did not end until 1981? In any case I wonder if Meade was using the Celestron process in 1980 and if so got away with it because of a big out of court agreement.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: Karl Fabian]
      #5699875 - 02/25/13 01:43 PM

If I recall, a judgment was issued in that case some years before 1980. Regardless of what Meade did or didn't do, the courts agreed that Criterion had infringed.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5699933 - 02/25/13 02:22 PM

I read the Lawsuit, interesting reading,
here it is
http://www.leagle.co/xmlResult.aspx?xmldoc=19781064461FSupp603_1970.xml&d...

from what I got out of it, The Judge pretty much said Celestron used the process first, but did not protect themselves by a copyright.
(it was partially about putting a thin cloth under the corrector during grinding to get a better seal)
The Judge also chastised Celestron for trying to say it was in experimental stages, but the Defense showed ads stating the tried and true guaranteed procedure.
After dragging on Celestron got a partial settlement,
both spent WAAY more on legal fees than it was worth!
That will teach you all to invent something cool then not protect it..
Read the lawsuit it is interesting.
I do have a Dynamax, the Blue and Grey one NOT made during that time. I keep it and set it up just to watch people's jaw drop that usually bash the product! It really has fine optics, remember it was made in the 70's by pretty much a Mom and Pop company and this design wasn't produced commercially except for them and Celestron at the time.
Amaxing if you think about it! SCT's are a Dime A Dozen now and common place.
It is too bad that they were not better with their quality. I have owned 2 that were every bit as good as my C8 I owned back then. I also owned 1 that wasn't worth the time to tear it down for parts I did like their finders and had the best tripod of ANYONE back then, It was the basis of the superb Meade Field tripods for the 2080 and up.
I also had one that was OK, Kind of like the B&L 4000
I have had both *BLEEP* and birds (if they bleep me it rhymes)
Unless you get one from an original owner, and you buy it off the internet, you are probably going to get one that
has very poor optics, has been sold and resold. One bad scope will sell 30 times and leave a bad taste, a decent scope will sell once, and you will never hear anything else about it!
Dynamax are kinda like old Dodges ya love em or hate em...
I love them..

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5700379 - 02/25/13 06:35 PM

Quote:

200 US$ or so in good condition. Lot of accessories? Maybe a little more.

Too many had poor optics--including mine.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: GeneT]
      #5701500 - 02/26/13 11:51 AM

Your scope is on The la craigslist? I couldn't find it.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Dynamax 8 new [Re: tim53]
      #5702303 - 02/26/13 07:14 PM

PM sent to ya Bud!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2984

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics