Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: My First SCT new [Re: coopman]
      #5644833 - 01/26/13 06:03 PM

Mike,

So glad it arrived intact and healthy. I've never needed 90minutes in the c6 cooling but that's my locale anyway. I'd high recommend blowing a fan on the OTA as its cooling. Typical isolating fan kept stationary blowing on it ought to do fine. I'm virtually positive this set up would get you up and ready in under an hour even in winter.

I've never entertained the bobs knobs idea . The little scope holds collimation really well so the few times I've tweaked it was you kno - shrug and forget. I like the idea of not needing a Phillips tho.

With regard to my c6 I've got a challenge I've kinda set for myself. I've resolved Titan visually with my 8" and theory sais the 6" can do it too. Alas its kinda faint at the mags needed so in hoping I can image a resolved disc and share it here on CN. The DBK can offset the brightness issues with a little gain I'm guessing.

I'm looking forward to hearing great things about your 6".

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: My First SCT new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5644858 - 01/26/13 06:23 PM

Quote:

Pete,

Quote:

Mike one of the clinchers for me on getting a C6 was Larry Carlinos review of his saying it was every bit as good as his Synta Mak of like sized aperture.

Is this the review?

Celestron C6-S Schmidt-Cassegrainian

Mike

Yup that's the one!

Pete

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: My First SCT new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5645604 - 01/27/13 08:27 AM

That's it guys...push the C6 to its limits!!!

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02

Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
Re: My First SCT new [Re: t.r.]
      #5645675 - 01/27/13 09:31 AM

Info you should know about the C6, or any small SCT for that matter.

They were not designed to add a lot of length in accesories off the back end. Tthe shorter you keeep it the better off you are.

f/10 is only nominal and occurs at only ONE single position. Your scope is almost never operating at f/10.

These scopes were not made for use like you see in some photos here on CN, with 2" diagonals, reducers and binoviewers. Put a reducer, a 2" diagonal and a binoviewer on the back end of a 6" SCT and it'll be operating close to 4".

Best used with a 1.25" diagonal (or a short 2" diagonal) too get the full aperture.

With a standard 1.25" visual back and a standard 1.25" mirror diagonal, a C6 is operating near F=1700.

Operating Focal Length of C6

For info on operating aeprture in various configurations read the entire thread
Aperture of C6 in varrious configurations

I like my C6, I simply respect how it was made to operate and do so within those confines.

edz

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: My First SCT new [Re: EdZ]
      #5645820 - 01/27/13 11:00 AM

Edz,

Quote:

Info you should know about the C6, or any small SCT for that matter.

They were not designed to add a lot of length in accesories off the back end. Tthe shorter you keeep it the better off you are.

f/10 is only nominal and occurs at only ONE single position. Your scope is almost never operating at f/10.

These scopes were not made for use like you see in some photos here on CN, with 2" diagonals, reducers and binoviewers. Put a reducer, a 2" diagonal and a binoviewer on the back end of a 6" SCT and it'll be operating close to 4".

Best used with a 1.25" diagonal (or a short 2" diagonal) too get the full aperture.

With a standard 1.25" visual back and a standard 1.25" mirror diagonal, a C6 is operating near F=1700.

After researching the reducers and FF/FC's here on CN and elsewhere, I've decided not to buy one. (I did have a couple reducers, but I sold them.) They might be helpful for AP, but I'm stictly a visual observer. I have absolutely zero interest in AP.

Also, I have no desire to stretch the FOV of the SCT. My C6 as is with my Ultrascopic 35 should give me a little over 1 degree AFOV, 43x and 3.5mm exit pupil. That will serve me well enough here in red zone suburbia. I have a 5" f/5 Dob, 25x100 binos and an ST80 for rich field/wide field at my dark site. Even my 10" f/4.8 Dob will give me 30x and 2.2 degrees with a Titan-II 40mm. The ES 82 30 in the 10" will yield about 40x and 2 degrees at a comfortable (for me) exit pupil of 6.3mm. So I have no need to over-max the TFOV in my C6.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: My First SCT new [Re: EdZ]
      #5645918 - 01/27/13 11:55 AM

Edz,

I was considering using my C6 with my Burgess binoviewer for Moon and planets (I don't binoview DSO). Since reading your thread, I'm thinking twice about that. I want to binoview with a 2" diagonal for a secure connection. But I don't want to reduce the C6's effective aperture to 5". I think I'd rather observe the Moon and planets monoviewed with a 6" than binoviewed with a 5".

This sentence from the first post in your thread was a clincher for me:

Quote:

What this shows is there does not seem to be any binoviewer configuration that gives full aperture. And frankly, I would not use my BV on the back end in a 1.25" diagonal. So, just about any BV configuration I select would result in a loss of at least 14 to 18mm in aperture.

I think I'll continue to binoview with my 8" and 10" Dobs only.

Mike

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
      #5646403 - 01/27/13 04:40 PM

I wonder how long it will be before this shows up on the used market with stripped out secondary screws, and uneven aftermarket focuser, internal fans installed, the rear cell threads stripped out, mirror locks and a the corrector reinstalled incorrectly. I say 6 months tops!! Your killing me Mike.

...Ralph

Edited by aa6ww (01/27/13 04:44 PM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: My First SCT new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5646617 - 01/27/13 06:26 PM

I think in some applications the loss of aperture for binoviewing is negligible - I'm guessing as I haven't done it yet. Terrestrial spotting would be fine and I'm gonna leap here and say the comfort and efficiency of bino viewing offsets the aperture loss on contrasts on lunar and planetary.

I'm interested in a lot of your results now Mike !

Pete

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5646650 - 01/27/13 06:38 PM

you are going to love the C6! they are surprisingly good for the money, and I dont care what anybody says, They give their big Brother 8" a HECK OF a run for the money on Planetary!
As a matter of fact with my Midwest skys I think the 6" out performs it on many nights!!
ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!! They are the best scope Celestron
has come out with since the 11 and 14!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: My First SCT new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5646877 - 01/27/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

I wonder how long it will be before this shows up on the used market with stripped out secondary screws, and uneven aftermarket focuser, internal fans installed, the rear cell threads stripped out, mirror locks and a the corrector reinstalled incorrectly. I say 6 months tops!! Your killing me Mike.

...Ralph

Not gonna happen', Ralphie Boy.

Festina lente is my motto.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5646909 - 01/27/13 08:47 PM

Pete,

Quote:

I think in some applications the loss of aperture for binoviewing is negligible - I'm guessing as I haven't done it yet. Terrestrial spotting would be fine and I'm gonna leap here and say the comfort and efficiency of bino viewing offsets the aperture loss on contrasts on lunar and planetary.

I'm interested in a lot of your results now Mike !

Pete

Well, if the effective aperture of the C6 is reduced to 5" with the binoviewer, you still have the equivalent of a 5" binoviewed. That's not so bad. Even so the C6 plus binoviewer will be easier to take out than a 5" refractor. Of course, if I'm binoviewing I'd much rather have a setup where I can use the entire aperture of the C6 - or most of it.

At the end of his tread, Edz appears to concede that this is possible with the C6, but only after much thought and probably more money. I'd rather do the research first before I put out the money. Ideally, I want to binoview with the Burgess binoviewer I already have, and just purchase the adapter and diagonal to make it possible to use most or all of the C6's aperture. I don't want to buy another binoviewer now. If that's not possible, I'll just monoview. No biggie.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5655955 - 02/01/13 09:47 AM

Yesterday I removed the 6x30 finder and bracket from my C6. I replaced it with an ES 8x50 straight-through illuminated finder. This finder is straight-through, erect-image and non-reversed, so the orientation will match the naked-eye view as well as most any atlas I use.

The bracket for the ES finder has four screws for attachment. The supplied screws were too short for the C6, so I had to find some among my old telescope hardware. Unfortunately, the C6 only has two screw holes for mounting a finder. Well, actually there are two pairs of the holes, one pair on each side of the focuser.

I attached the ES bracket to the C6 OTA with two screws. This seems to be secure and stable enough. I held the C6 with attached ES finder in various positions, moved the OTA around, and the connection appeared secure.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5657544 - 02/02/13 03:13 AM

Mike,
Have you actually used the scope yet? If not, you might want to hold off customizing it until you're sure it's a good one.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: My First SCT new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5657711 - 02/02/13 08:49 AM

Even if it isn't, send it back for a replacement...it is worth exchanging until you get a good one...I did!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: My First SCT new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5657750 - 02/02/13 09:19 AM

Rick,

Quote:

Have you actually used the scope yet? If not, you might want to hold off customizing it until you're sure it's a good one.

No, not yet. It seems that winter weather has come upon us since the C6 was delivered. I need to carry the scope around the side of my building to setup. That's not going to happen while there's snow and ice on the ground. But I might just put it on the porch and test it on Polaris.

Despite what Ralphie Boy said, I'm in no hurry to customize this scope. Besides, I want to see how it performs from the baseline first. The only change I've made is to replace the 6x30 with an ES 8x50 finder, but I can put the old finder back on if I decide to return the scope.

I don't now what non-reversible changes I could make except for maybe flocking the baffle and the interior of the OTA. I'm in no hurry to do that.

I've never returned a scope. Luckily, mine have all been fine so far. Not "excellent" perhaps, but at least decent. I'm not the type who orders a scope, and keeps returning and replacing them until I hit the Chinese scope lottery. Yes, if the scope is clearly a lemon, I will return it.

Winter is not a good time for excellent seeing here - to put it mildly - so I don't know when I'll be able to do a thorough star test. But the daytime collimation check seemed right on. No significant difference on either side of focus.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5657755 - 02/02/13 09:22 AM

t.r.,

Quote:

Even if it isn't, send it back for a replacement...it is worth exchanging until you get a good one...I did!

How many times did you exchange your C6 until you got an acceptable one?

Mike

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5657901 - 02/02/13 10:55 AM

Oh, just once. The first one I had didn't have equal star test image on either side of focus. Even the the planetary performance seemed just okay, the defocused diffraction pattern told me something was amiss. The first one was the "newer" model, with the nicer dew cap(formed handle in the plastic) with a nicer tube finish and stenciled logo. The second one was the older tab dew cap, duller surface paint and a stickered logo, I kid you not! But when I star tested it and put it on Jupiter, I knew this "Ugly Duckling" was a keeper. I later took it to "Barefoot" Bob Piekel(SCT guru) for testing just to confirm I wasn't imagining its performance. He tested it to close to 1/8 wave slightly overcorrected (1/6 to 1/7th solid)! He said the C6's he has tested have been consistently very good. My first was simply not up to my expectations, it happens. Work with the dealer and exchange...it was painless.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5658027 - 02/02/13 12:13 PM

So it seems like your first was a lemon, worse than the usual C6 that comes off the line.

My C6 has a shiny black surface - no sparkly effects, though. "Celestron" is stenciled in orange, and there's a sticker that says "Star Bright XLT." The dew cap has tabs.

The vendor exchanged your newer model for an older one?

Mike

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5658110 - 02/02/13 01:01 PM

I believe this to be the case, it was during the change over with the C6, so they probably had stock of both. IIRC the packaging was the same. I liked the newer lens cover better.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5658117 - 02/02/13 01:05 PM

I have a Hubble artificial star that I'll use to test the C6 here in my house, if I can find a line of sight that's long enough to get a half-way decent test. The star is rigged up on a photo tripod, and the C6 is on a Voyager mount. Seems like these artificial stars might be close to useless unless you have a huge house or a back yard with enough space for a good test.
Condo astronomy is a royal PITA!

I ought to move to wild wonderful West Virginia! Yahoo! Plenty of space down here - not just what's up there in the wild black yonder!

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4397

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics