Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5753410 - 03/24/13 08:54 AM

I love my Orion 180mm Mak-Cass! Great for planets and Moon!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: Illinois]
      #5753738 - 03/24/13 11:30 AM

Quote:

So most people love them but have issues with up to 3 hour cooling. You're in Chicago area. How do you cool it down and how do you handle going out at 30 degrees and it drops to 15 degrees in an hour or two? Does the scope adjust for very good seeing? Your input is appreciated.

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5753808 - 03/24/13 12:07 PM

Helps being the "windy" city

Cool down would be my main concern. There are other companies with these size ones that have some sort of cooling help. But they are a bit hard to find nowadays. I see them used from time to time. They sell pretty quick.

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5753831 - 03/24/13 12:18 PM

I keep toying with the idea of upgrading my 127Mak but I fear that cooling will be an issue in my climate. Anyway, the seeing here never lets me go much past 120mm aperture for planetary viewing

payner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky
Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: Eric63]
      #5753965 - 03/24/13 01:15 PM

I have a 228 mm Rumak and it is an incredible instrument. The images of solar system objects and double stars are very pleasing with good contrast. Globular and open clusters, many faint fuzzies and planetary nebulae are great in the Rumak, too.

Best,
Randy

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

#5755604 - 03/25/13 07:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So most people love them but have issues with up to 3 hour cooling. You're in Chicago area. How do you cool it down and how do you handle going out at 30 degrees and it drops to 15 degrees in an hour or two? Does the scope adjust for very good seeing? Your input is appreciated.

Thats easy! If I know tonight will or suppose to be clear then I put my 180mm Mak-Cass outside in shade 3 to 4 hours before sunset. One thing I wouldnt do at 3 in morning unless If I want left my scope outside all night. I use my 4 inch refractor most of the time. 3-4 hours for my 180mm Mak-Cass, 2 hours for my 16 inch dobsonian and 1 hour for my 4 inch refractor. I live about 100 miles from Chicago now.

Drop 30 down to 15 degrees I wouldnt put my scope outside that long. My Garage is cold!

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: payner]
      #5755989 - 03/25/13 11:40 AM

Quote:

I have a 228 mm Rumak and it is an incredible instrument. The images of solar system objects and double stars are very pleasing with good contrast. Globular and open clusters, many faint fuzzies and planetary nebulae are great in the Rumak, too.

Best,
Randy

Very, very nice. Where a site or from whom did you buy that so I can check it out online?
Bob

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: Illinois]
      #5756017 - 03/25/13 11:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thats easy! If I know tonight will or suppose to be clear then I put my 180mm Mak-Cass outside in shade 3 to 4 hours before sunset. One thing I wouldnt do at 3 in morning unless If I want left my scope outside all night. I use my 4 inch refractor most of the time. 3-4 hours for my 180mm Mak-Cass, 2 hours for my 16 inch dobsonian and 1 hour for my 4 inch refractor. I live about 100 miles from Chicago now.

Drop 30 down to 15 degrees I wouldnt put my scope outside that long. My Garage is cold!

Yes, I would keep mine in an unheated detached garage. And I also do the same, keeping an eye out for a clear night. I put my C14 out, and cover it with a white sheet hours before night. Its coming from said garage, so its not bad. And I'm home all the time, so I can do it. I guess that's what the others issue is, they can't get it outside during the late day time for its longer cool down time. I can plan, and that's my benefit I guess.
GUYS WITH COOL DOWN ISSUES- is that the problem, not being able to plan a cool down period before darkness? Or do you feel its just a pain to wait?
Thanks
Bob

iluxo
sage

Reged: 09/23/08

#5757181 - 03/25/13 10:50 PM

Mine is stored in its case in an unheated garage - after setting up for observing the cool-down time is under 1 hour.

I also discovered a little trick - if you quickly rotate the tube several times (like shaking a can of soup) and force the air inside to mix, you can disrupt the internal tube current enough that seeing will be ok for a while.

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

#5757618 - 03/26/13 07:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I would keep mine in an unheated detached garage. And I also do the same, keeping an eye out for a clear night. I put my C14 out, and cover it with a white sheet hours before night. Its coming from said garage, so its not bad. And I'm home all the time, so I can do it. I guess that's what the others issue is, they can't get it outside during the late day time for its longer cool down time. I can plan, and that's my benefit I guess.
GUYS WITH COOL DOWN ISSUES- is that the problem, not being able to plan a cool down period before darkness? Or do you feel its just a pain to wait?
Thanks
Bob

Always make plan and ahead of time! Simple!

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: iluxo]
      #5757622 - 03/26/13 07:39 AM

Quote:

Mine is stored in its case in an unheated garage - after setting up for observing the cool-down time is under 1 hour.

I also discovered a little trick - if you quickly rotate the tube several times (like shaking a can of soup) and force the air inside to mix, you can disrupt the internal tube current enough that seeing will be ok for a while.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

#5763076 - 03/28/13 07:58 PM

So which 1-1/4" E.P.s work best? I have mostly 2" EPs, and my longest one is a Sterling Plossl 25mm. Are there longer EPs in 1-1/4"?
thanks
Bob

garneroutlaw

Reged: 03/28/13

Loc: Northeast Florida
      #5763455 - 03/29/13 12:18 AM

I am fairly new to the hobby, and I purchased the 180mm Mak. Something about it being a 'planet killer' was definitely appealing. I quickly realized that cool down with this scope is appalling. Expect two hours of cooling minimum with this scope on cooler nights. Even after two hours last night, stars were 'bleeding' and Jupiter had a fuzziness to it. I star tested it to confirm my suspicions. Collimation looks good but got the typical distorted pattern from an uncooled scope. It really is a big issue with this OTA, and I recommend finding something with a bit more reasonable process to cool unless there is a way to cool this scope faster that I am unaware of. I am still debating returning this scope due to that factor. It just simply isn't any fun sitting outside for 2 hours waiting to use it. If I do keep it, does anyone know where I can purchase a screw on cover for Orion Mak-Cass adapter ring?

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: garneroutlaw]
      #5765705 - 03/29/13 08:41 PM

If I were to have one of the Synta 180s, I would seriously look into modifying it with a cooling fan. I have an IM715 with a fan, and cooldown is not nearly as severe. I usually don't observe in very cold temps, but early Spring and late Autumn are not much of a problem with an hour - 2 hour at the most. It's actually quite usable in as little as 45 minute if the temps aren't too extreme. Anyway, a fan, a drill, and a little courage could make a big difference in wait time.

eyepiecedropper

Reged: 12/31/11

Loc: aschaffenburg, germany
Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: watcher]
      #5766460 - 03/30/13 10:35 AM Attachment (108 downloads)

hi, here´s my cat cooler. 15 euros. no beauty, but it works. strong radial cooler. 20mm diam. plastic tubing and tube endcaps from my local diy market. 4 angled holes in the endcap. no filter.

greets, martin

payner
scholastic sledgehammer

#5766850 - 03/30/13 01:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Best,
Randy

Very, very nice. Where a site or from whom did you buy that so I can check it out online?
Bob

Hi Bob: You can see the specs on this telescope here: http://stellaroptical.com/santel-mk9.htm.

This instrument is no longer produced, these were handmade and the optician was with Intes (INTES MK91)before they were dissolved after the cold war. The mirror is Sital, and even though the tube is closed, the effects of thermal cooling is not a big deal in all but extreme conditions (January/February) because of the properties of the Sital mirror.

Unfortunately, the optician/owner of Santel (Anatoly Sankovitch) now makes professional-size instruments only. See the webapage http://astreya-optics.narod.ru/eng/links.htm.

This doesn't help you but for the history and specs. If you ever see one for sell and really want a RUMAK of this size, they don't get much (if any) better.

Best,
Randy

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: payner]
      #5767076 - 03/30/13 03:45 PM

Randy, I got a 404 error when I tried the link.

payner
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions new [Re: Calypte]
      #5767564 - 03/30/13 08:34 PM

Try http://stellaroptical.com/cass.htm and for the Russian site:
http://astreya-optics.narod.ru/eng/links.htm

Anatoly Sankovitch is the gentleman's name that produced the Santel telescopes and Andrey at Astreya Optics can (or could) get one in touch with him. I understand Anatoly has a hard time with English.

Best,
Randy

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions [Re: eyepiecedropper]
      #5814241 - 04/21/13 10:07 PM

Quote:

hi, here´s my cat cooler. 15 euros. no beauty, but it works. strong radial cooler. 20mm diam. plastic tubing and tube endcaps from my local diy market. 4 angled holes in the endcap. no filter.

greets, martin

Thanks Martin, I can't really understand what you did here, could you go over it again? did you drill holes in the OTA? What's the 20mm tube for? Sorry to have you go over it again, but its interesting for a few of us, or at least me.
Regards,
Bob

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Orion 180mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Questions [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5819566 - 04/24/13 11:28 AM

Hello again.
I'd like to mount an Orion ST-80 to this scope. There's no way to mount a vixen dovetail to the OTA according to Orion. Any ideas? Could that shoe actually handle a set up of a single stalk big ring system with a ST80 in it? I also see Stellarvue has a f/3.75 finder.....but I'd like at least the f/5. Your thoughts?

Edited by spongebob@55 (04/24/13 12:36 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6988

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics