Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
DrOxygen

Reged: 12/30/10

Loc: New Jersey
Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: WesC]
      #5852198 - 05/10/13 03:03 PM

Best of luck with your scope, take it slow and savor the moment. I ordered the 10" as well once someone posted the weight of the 12". Even with the fork/OTA and base separated, it was above what I thought I could do alone. Went with the 10" and plan to separate the two into two more manageable pieces. Mine is due next week. Wish me luck!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cryhav0c

Reged: 04/21/12

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: WesC]
      #5855068 - 05/12/13 09:19 AM

Were you able to snap any pics of the scope or any issues u were having?

Cryhav0c

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Cryhav0c]
      #5855369 - 05/12/13 12:18 PM

DrOxygen, where did u order your scope from if i may ask?

DrOxygen

#5855442 - 05/12/13 12:54 PM

I ordered from Hight Point Scientific. I was just surfing around and they had one in stock so I pulled the trigger. In reality it was being drop shipped from CA. Shipped in two days, and it's on it's way. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Bluto69

Reged: 05/26/12

Loc: South Central Wisconsin
Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: DrOxygen]
      #5855600 - 05/12/13 02:23 PM

Will try to get pics out later today.

Bluto69

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Bluto69]
      #5855876 - 05/12/13 04:43 PM

Here is what the Fedex man delivered.

Edited by Bluto69 (05/13/13 08:57 AM)

Bluto69

#5855891 - 05/12/13 04:49 PM

OK. What did I do wrong in posting photos?

Terry

GooglyEyes
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Colorado
      #5855922 - 05/12/13 05:12 PM

You need to use a link to the actual .jpg/.gif/.png file to use the image tag.

Nice looking 'scope. I hope it's everything you wanted.

Mar

Bluto69

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: GooglyEyes]
      #5857021 - 05/13/13 09:00 AM

Here is what the inside of the OTA box looked like. Nicely packed.

Bluto69

#5857025 - 05/13/13 09:02 AM

Here it is set up on the wedge.

Bluto69

#5857029 - 05/13/13 09:05 AM

Here is what I was talking about the Azimuth knob rod being off center. This causes the knob to rub against the base a makes the turning of the scope very rough.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

#5857996 - 05/13/13 05:19 PM

Gday Terry

Assuming the design is basically the same as the LX200s, that eccentric cam is used to allow the axle of RA SloMo driver gear to be correctly engaged with the large dia gear inside the scope.
By backing it off to allow the Knob to rotate freely, you are also disengaging the fit between the gears inside the scope.

If the knob rubs on the casting when it is properly adjusted, you need to advise Meade.

Andrew Johansen Melbournbe Australia

Cryhav0c

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5863373 - 05/15/13 10:32 PM

Any more info or perceptions on the scope? Has anyone put it thru its paces yet? Im prepping to buy one next week possibly & am curious if this is a good idea?

Bluto69

#5864202 - 05/16/13 11:07 AM

Haven't had it out yet. In the process of modifying my wheeley bars so I can move it about. It is the 10" but this thing weighs a bunch more than my 8". Even using two people to lift and move is not an easy task. (Especially when I have a bad back.)

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #5864254 - 05/16/13 11:33 AM

Quote:

Haven't had it out yet. In the process of modifying my wheeley bars so I can move it about. It is the 10" but this thing weighs a bunch more than my 8". Even using two people to lift and move is not an easy task. (Especially when I have a bad back.)

So just make something good up to tell us, we dont care

Cryhav0c

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5865229 - 05/16/13 05:18 PM

LOL, funny Qwickdraw!

Bluto, I was wondering if you'd contacted Meade tech support regarding the "adjustment" you had to do and if they had any feedback.

I had the sad duty of letting "Telescopes.com" know that they were sucking hindend regarding reception of these to ship out. They like to portray themselves as number one on Meade's preferred vendors list. LOL

They got one without the wedge in Tuesday and are "supposed" to get 2 of the ones with a wedge in tomorrow if Meade didn't lie about the date they shipped. They're using some shipping company I've never heard of to move em about named YRC Pro. The strange thing is that they gave tracking info on the one without the wedge but none on the ones with the wedge.

Meade had me past me PO'd a while back and show no sign of letting up. They're doing stupid *BLEEP* to the bitter end. I just want to get my hands on one of these before their management mishandles them into bankruptcy.

Hey, DrOxygen did you get your scope yet??? I hope your experience isn't rife with issues.

Hey Bluto69, if you do get a chance to test it out, can you give us a heads up on how the focuser does? The guy that posted about the 12" he received said it was very stiff and that he was glad he had the Zero shift focuser.

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
      #5865682 - 05/16/13 07:29 PM

Quote:

The guy that posted about the 12" he received said it was very stiff and that he was glad he had the Zero shift focuser.

I read that also. My initial thoughts were new mechanical systems are often stiff due to high tolerences and that maybe a little break in period is required.

Bluto69

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5866748 - 05/17/13 10:00 AM

I did contact Meade on the issue with the azimuth adjustment knob. They told me another person had the same issue. The "solution" was to loosen the hex nut and move the knob a bit higher so it does not rub against the base. I had already done this. Bad design if you ask me. However, I have seldom used this on my 8".
Ask for my "adjustment" to the wedge. No, I did not tell them about it because I easily straightened the adjustment screw rod.

Terry

P.S.
Still no first light. Either rain/clouds, wind, or no help around to hall it out.

Edited by Bluto69 (05/17/13 10:02 AM)

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: 10" LX600 being shipped [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5867012 - 05/17/13 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The guy that posted about the 12" he received said it was very stiff and that he was glad he had the Zero shift focuser.

I read that also. My initial thoughts were new mechanical systems are often stiff due to high tolerences and that maybe a little break in period is required.

The thing that caught my attention was that he said there was significant mirror shift. That was not suppose to be the case with new focuser. Did I hear him correctly?

DrOxygen

Re: 10" LX600 being shipped [Re: EFT]
      #5867392 - 05/17/13 03:38 PM

Well I received my LX-600 10Ē on Wednesday. Thankfully I took the day off to wait for it. The truck that delivered it only had one person and no lift gate. Not quite sure how the fellow would have got the OTA box (big and heavy) off the truck by himself.

So too the scopeÖÖ First I unpacked the tripod and was impressed with the packaging and the size of the beast. I found the legs to be stiff and a little difficult to spread apart. Since then Iíve taken it down about three times and things seem to be easing up a bit. Worse case I can loosen the leg bolts but I donít think that will be necessary once they are broken in. Since others had reported paint etc. in the bolt holes that was the first thing I checked. Mine were clean so no issues there.

Next I unboxed the X-Wedge. Having used the prior wedge for an 8Ē I was not expecting it to be quite as heavy as it is. It seems quite sturdy and I think will work well. Time will tell. Again I checked it over thoroughly as one recipient noted a bent part. Again everything seemed perfect.

Next came the OTA. As others have said it was well boxed and protected. I examined the finish to ensure no blemishes etc and everything seems first rate. Not quite the fit and finish of a Tac but nonetheless Iím happy with the unit. First Iím approaching 60 and am so glad I got the 10Ē and did not go with a 12Ē. Iím finding that separating the OTA from the base a very nice feature. Makes the whole unit much more manageable. I wanted a unit I could setup and take down by myself. So with the unit together I have not noticed any build or cosmetic flaws what so ever. I found the focuser rather stiff as otherís have noticed but Iíll give it some time to loosen up some before being concerned. I found the bolts etc a bit tight at first but after disassembling and reassembling three times (donít ask) everything is much smoother now.

So Iím very happy so far but unfortunately have not had an opportunity to get it out under the stars for first light. Stay tunedÖ.. Hopefully tonight before the predicted clouds roll in for the remainder of the weekend.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4245

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics