Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/30/13

Loc: NYC
C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces
      #5867698 - 05/17/13 05:08 PM

I first had my eyes on the EdgeHD 800". My thoughts were given that I will be observing and periodically using it for video astronomy (mallincam) in the "big city", the enhanced optics and aperture would compensate for whatever light pollution there is. However, given that I will probably only see a handful of DSOs with it anyway, perhaps the C6, 6SE, or even the C5 spotter would be a greater advantage due to their portability (weights 5+ less than the EdgeHD 8") and cost savings.

I also had in mind to go all out Tele Vue for additional compensation.

However, with the 5" and 6" models, an Ethos providing the widest field of view will probably still show some coma if I am not mistaken. With the Edge this would not be an issue in theory.

So with the 6" models or less, I figure the Delos or Panoptic would be more suitable. However, in the event I do get something like the EdgeHD in the future, I would probably like to have the Ethos on hand.

Did I just answer my own question?

Thanks again for all of your help on my endeavor thus far.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: FishInPercolator]
      #5867846 - 05/17/13 05:59 PM

Quote:

Did I just answer my own question?

I don't think so. If and when you decide to get an Edge, then start thinking about eyepieces for that scope. I think your first inclination is right...C6 with Panoptics and Delos, or Plossls.

Regarding the Malincam and the C6's field of view...the Malincam sensor is very small so when you're using it your DSO will most likely be near the center of the field of view. At the center of the field of view there isn't a great deal of difference between the Edge scopes and standard scopes, so it shouldn't matter much.

I'm not sure any enhanced optic or aperture or better coatings can deal with the light pollution in NYC!

Also, regarding 2" eyepieces in the C5 and C6...you're not getting a great deal of benefit using them with either scope. The central baffle tube diameter on the C6 is 27mm (not sure about the C5), so any eyepiece that has a field stop diameter greater than 27mm will start vignetting. I used my 27mm Pan in my C6 all the time though. It has a 30mm field stop diameter, so I cheated a little. I was okay with it.

Patrick

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: Patrick]
      #5867879 - 05/17/13 06:22 PM

ok so in essence according to your link, the 24mm is the widest (lowest mag) I can go without any vignetting?

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: FishInPercolator]
      #5867881 - 05/17/13 06:23 PM

See: http://www.scopereviews.com/page1aa.html

For the price of an Ethos you can probably buy 2-3 used Naglers. The 21 and 17mm Ethos have 2" insertion barrels. The 21mm's field stop is 36.2mm. The 17's is 29.6. so the C6's baffle tube will limit the true FOV. The Ethos were designed with faster refractors and reflectors in mind.

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: Geo.]
      #5867884 - 05/17/13 06:27 PM

Right. Even with Naglers though, the 82 deg AFOV will probably show a lot more coma on a C5 or C6 given they lack Edge optics... right? So something smaller like 50 thru 72 degrees would probably be more suitable... I think.

What's the field stop limit on a C5?

Patrick
Postmaster

#5868157 - 05/17/13 09:17 PM

Quote:

So something smaller like 50 thru 72 degrees would probably be more suitable... I think.

Yep...you got it. I don't know what the C5 baffle tube size is. Maybe someone else can help with that one.

Clear Skies,

Patrick

Patrick
Postmaster

#5868165 - 05/17/13 09:22 PM

According to THIS WEBSITE the C5 baffle tube size is 26mm. Sounds about right...

Patrick

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

#5868340 - 05/17/13 10:42 PM

I've decided. C6 coming my way...

Patrick
Postmaster

#5868401 - 05/17/13 11:11 PM

You will not be sorry! It's a very versatile scope.

Patrick

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

#5869838 - 05/18/13 06:01 PM

Patrick, thanks for the support

I do have a question, are there any f/8 6" SCTs?

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5869998 - 05/18/13 07:32 PM

No, both the Meade and Celestron 6" SCTs are f10. The Meade f8 ACF SCTs start at 10".

There is a 6" f9 RC scope and an 8" f8 RC. The downside to the RCs is that they weigh a bit more than the equivalent SCTs and require some planning for back focus positions.

If you could handle a slightly heavier mount and tube one of the 8" f8 RC scopes with a .7 or .5x (f5.6 or f4) focal reducer and the Universe camera would make a very capable outreach setup.

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5870003 - 05/18/13 07:34 PM

mind if I asked you to post a link?

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

#5870011 - 05/18/13 07:42 PM

Ah nevermind, I found it...

Unfortunately it weights quite a bit for something I will be taking out onto the subway (worst case scenario, which will probably happen more often than not).

Hmm... it's unfortunate.

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

#5870021 - 05/18/13 07:52 PM

I'm drooling over this one but it's unfortunately a little big and slightly out of my price range...

http://telescopes.toptenreviews.com/beginner-astrophotography-telescopes/astr...

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepie new [Re: FishInPercolator]
      #5870047 - 05/18/13 08:07 PM

I think you'll be very happy with the C6. It's a lot of scope in a reasonably small package... maybe an inconspicuous tool bag or some such with room for a few eyepieces for the subway.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5870132 - 05/18/13 08:29 PM

Quote:

I do have a question, are there any f/8 6" SCTs?

You can get an f/6.3 focal reducer and add it to the back of the scope. That will make the C6 an f/6.3 scope with a focal length of about 960mm. It will also help flatten the field of view.

Out of curiosity, why is f/8 important to you?

Patrick

Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

#5870190 - 05/18/13 08:44 PM

Quote:

I'm drooling over this one but it's unfortunately a little big and slightly out of my price range...

http://telescopes.toptenreviews.com/beginner-astrophotography-telescopes/astr...

Astronomics has this scope for $1395, or you can get the steel tubed version for $500 less and only two pounds more.

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: Goodchild]
      #5870470 - 05/18/13 11:07 PM

Royce thanks for pointing that out, unfortunately I feel it's a tad heavy for my purposes.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: Goodchild]
      #5870572 - 05/19/13 12:28 AM

Did you already order it? The Nexstar SE mount is cute, but it never tracks correctly in mobile mode (it tracks via a triangle wave). And, you'll burn through a set of AAs in one evening.

So, if you start out with a little push mount, it will be light and easy to move, and you can look at what's working for a photography mount, and won't need lots of batteries.

-Rich

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5870642 - 05/19/13 01:39 AM

Nope, I'm debating now between a C6 and an Omni XLT 150.

I'm just about to go a little crazy. I have to make up my mind soon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1232

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics