Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: FishInPercolator]
      #5873311 - 05/20/13 09:27 AM

wow, CN members are doing a lot to help you i am impressed.

if that helps i was in your position several years ago. i needed a portable scope because of back probems. first had a 5 inch newt on a gem. i almost abandonned astronomy because of it (as mentionned by Patrick above) not comfortable positions for observing, difficulty to collimate ( i was unaware of CN then) but mainly, not that easy to transport.

sold it and got a 6 se and it was days and night. after two weeks, i traded it for a 8se and will keep that scope for life. if you are an experienced amateur you will notice the difference in contrast between a newt and a SCT. if not, you probably will not. for wider views on a 6se i would suggest a 9x50raci but i would not stress using a focal redicer but just use 68-72 degrees EPs. for a non motorized set up i use a ES twilight mount and it works well. Thermal equilibrium is fast with a 6 inch SCT.

having had both types of scopes i would go for the sct.

just a word of caution. difficult to rely on internal batteries for the se scopes as they oftwn result in power prolems rapidly. there are lightweigth solutions as could be discussed on the nexstar forum

just my experience and as always ymmv. and this comes from someone who has a SCT, newt (dob)and a refractor

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: FishInPercolator]
      #5873328 - 05/20/13 09:36 AM

Hyperstar for C6 . 290mm fl/ at f/1.9.

Since the camera sits over the front corrector plate, a round style ccd camera is almost essential. A DSLR will severely block the front aperture opening.

Quote:

So my thought was I could get a 2" focuser on the 6" Newt... It's not EdgeHD optics though so I not sure exactly how that plays out...

There's not a lot of gain going to a 2" focuser on a standard 6" Newt. The 6" f/5 Newt is optimized for a 1.25" focuser and the diagonal is sized accordingly. If you want to use a 6" Newt, you should be look specifically at Imaging Newts, like the AstroTech 6" f/4 Imaging Newt . It's already optimized with a 2" sized diagonal and focuser. You will need to add a Coma Corrector/Field Flattener with this scope because of the field curvature on the f/4 primary (as with any Newtonian below f/6.)

I've never used one of the Imaging Newts, but I've seen one up close and they're cute. At f/4, they're more portable than their longer brothers.

Patrick

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5873427 - 05/20/13 10:33 AM

Here is a link. You get an adapter with it, and they have one for a Mallincam:

http://starizona.com/acb/HyperStar-Lens---6-Celestron-P3032C773.aspx

You'll have to ask about provisions for narrowband filters. Of course, with or without one, you're assured of being able to shoot whatever the sky will allow.

I know earlier C6s always had to have their secondary adapted to a Fastar removable housing. Does anyone know if current ones come from the factory with them? If not, Starizona would know, and might have one with a removable secondary in stock. Alternatively, they'd be the best ones to install the secondary. The removable secondary housing lets the scope work as a regular C6, but the secondary has a bezel which unscrews to allow it to switch over to the camera staring at the primary mirror.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (05/20/13 10:42 AM)

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/30/13

Loc: NYC
Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5873682 - 05/20/13 12:51 PM

Thanks guys...

How quick and simple is it to replace the corrector with this? I suppose I won't be doing much observation while in the midst of imaging with the hyperstar setups.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5873924 - 05/20/13 03:01 PM

Hyperstar is a replacement for the secondary mirror in the middle of the corrector ... not the corrector itself. You don't go swapping it around all the time during an observing session. You set the scope up for Hyperstar imaging and use it like that for a while. In that mode the scope can no longer be used visually (you've removed the secondary mirror). With a C6 small diameter cameras are a must (Mallincam video, QHY8Pro, Starlight Xpress M25C or similarly sized cameras) ... DSLRs are not recommended at all with the C6 setup (but are ok with larger scope Hyperstar setups). Follow the link that Rich posted, there's a ton of Hyperstar info there.

A Hyperstar C6 is as Patrick indicated above a very wide field instrument. Traditional DSOs like most galaxies, planetary nebulae, and globular cluster are TINY at 290mm fl. Yes it's very very fast but that short focal length really restricts it's use. It's very good a large extended objects and these are generally not the objects you want to be imaging from a heavily light polluted urban area. Highly selective narrow band filters do help (for example an Ha filter for huge objects like the North American nebula).

While it's not particularly delicate you do need to be extra careful with a Hyperstar setup, it's not something you want kids or curious but clumsy adults poking around.

-----

I mentioned this before in one of the many other threads but I'll say it again, this time with more details and a bit more emphatically.

- Get the C6 ota and the small IOptron gem.
- Flexible dew shield for the C6.
- Anti vibration pads for the mount.
- Mallincam Xtreme camera and an MFR-5 focal reducer and the two spacers.
- Use a Windows or Mac OS laptop with good battery life and a USB frame grabber and a USB-serial rs232 adapter.
- A Jumpstart style 12v battery (10-20amp/hr capacity, from automotive or big box stores), and a 3:1 cigarette lighter style adapter (so you can power both the camera and the mount together off of the one battery ... this won't be needed if you have a battery with at least two cigarette lighter style outlets).
- A 6-10' S-Video cable.
- 2.1mm - cigarette lighter style DC power cable (RadioShack) ... to power the Mallincam off of the battery.
- Astronomic UHC, and Ha 12nm 1.25" filters.

- A plastic storage container for the ota, another for the mount head, and a third for all the accessories. You'll also need something to bundle up the tripod legs (there are zip up bags like this). A small folding chair would be very useful as well. You can setup the computer on top of the 3 storage boxes. Bring a blanket for under the scope, this makes it much easier to find anything you drop in the dark and prevents some things from breaking if you are setting up on asphalt/concrete.

Don't mess with iPAD controls, wireless gear, or the like, at least not initially. Get a simple, proven, bullet proof setup working before you consider anything else. You need ultra reliable gear if you're going to be running remotely. Use this setup for a while, get some experience (the most valuable accessory ever) and only then consider other options.

Edited by mclewis1 (05/20/13 03:04 PM)

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5873938 - 05/20/13 03:09 PM

Thanks! All understood and points well-taken. Now I await for a new credit card to be issued after my astoundingly unfortunate experience with Herb York over at Astromart.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #5874236 - 05/20/13 04:58 PM

I concur with Mark's comments above 110%. Forget the Universe, it will do you no good with a C6 and under NYC's light dome. The MCX smaller chip will work great with the C6. The ZEQ25 mount seems like a real winner and will provide you important future OTA upgrade capability. A jumpstart type battery is a good idea, but they are heavy. Think about how you will be transporting this on the subway. By itself it will weigh more than the OTA... I have heard good things about Starizona's little lithium battery product, not sure if it can be adapted to power more than just the scope, but worth taking a look... Starizona Battery

Good luck

Al

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5874481 - 05/20/13 07:14 PM

Mark,

Great job of explanation there...excellent recommendation for the gear as well. I'm going to give a serious look at your camera recommendations. Nice detail! Do you have a Malincam?

IT Guy:

Listen to the man~

The C6 is the most versatile scope of the three or four you've looked at.

Patrick

FishInPercolator
professor emeritus

Re: C6 or 6SE? New York City dilemma re: TV eyepieces new [Re: Patrick]
      #5874487 - 05/20/13 07:18 PM

Yep, there have been quite a few of you I've been listening to who have been nothing less than helpful and generous with your time. I thank you all.

Looking forward to it.

Patrick
Postmaster

#5874491 - 05/20/13 07:20 PM

Quote:

Now I await for a new credit card to be issued after my astoundingly unfortunate experience with Herb York over at Astromart.

Good old Herb...what a character... I've never purchased a single thing at Anecortes, well, just because...

Patrick

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1222

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics