Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5874350 - 05/20/13 06:12 PM

Quote:

If you do the engineering analysis, the springs have the same effect as larger bearings...

I do remember the 6 and 8 inch Meade's with the iron counterweights that helped keep the mirror warm...

As far as the differences between what Meade was selling and Orion.. I bought an original XT-8... the Meade's of that era were a work in progress, Orion was a reasonably finished product...

It may be that was the only real difference...

Jon

Your engineering analysis may show they work as well. My "use" analysis says tain't so, not in a pig's eye.

I would call the XT, the rest of the current Chinese solid tube dobs, and their ancestors, ALL works in progress. I have never, ever seen one that did not require futzing with. They are somewhat better now, but not worlds better.

The Chinese go-to Dobs are better in a way, since you no longer have to worry about to hard/sticky motions, which are often the bane of these scopes.

OTOH, an humble 8-inch Meade for the price they were charging, much less one of the import dobs? When I was a kid one would have simply blown me away.

Edited by rmollise (05/20/13 06:14 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5874370 - 05/20/13 06:25 PM

How about the 7" maksutov with an internal iron counterweight to make is balance like a SCT? Or the ETX-90 with a plastic back bucket to hold the optics together, but a heavy metal baffle stuck to the corrector to cause it to creep down the glass?

The truth is, we are where we are. How we got here isn't really all that important compared to deciding where to go tomorrow.

So, instead of the dredging, how about naming what you would like to see come out of Meade 2.0?

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (05/20/13 06:47 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: rmollise]
      #5874681 - 05/20/13 08:57 PM

Quote:

Your engineering analysis may show they work as well. My "use" analysis says tain't so, not in a pig's eye.

Mine were good enough that stock I used them at 800x within 10 degrees of the Zenith, for splitting doubles, not the best but doable. Since then I have reworked them, they're better, no doubt about it...

In my experience, the important thing is that the bearings are clean and free from embedded debris. When the motion deteriorates, I scrape them clean. Of course this is true of any Dob...

I am wondering, do I need to do a comparison between the Meade Model 77 focuser and the standard GSO 2 speed?

Jon

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
      #5875255 - 05/21/13 07:23 AM

"Can't we all just get along?".....

I go through life with an open mind, and almost always give the other guy the 'benefit of the doubt'...AND YESSSSS!...I get my butt kicked a lot for that!....but I'll tell ya', I got lotsa lotsa friends!

rcdk

Reged: 11/13/10

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: RobertED]
      #5875330 - 05/21/13 08:38 AM

This is an awesome time to be an amatuer astronomer. The equipment options are great and there are still some really dark skies out there even if you have to drive a bit to get to them.

But from reading some of the posts here you would think the astro equipment manufacturers require their customers to endure time on a rack as payment.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5875344 - 05/21/13 09:01 AM

Quote:

Mine were good enough that stock I used them at 800x within 10 degrees of the Zenith, for splitting doubles, not the best but doable. Since then I have reworked them, they're better, no doubt about it...

In my experience, the important thing is that the bearings are clean and free from embedded debris. When the motion deteriorates, I scrape them clean. Of course this is true of any Dob...

I am wondering, do I need to do a comparison between the Meade Model 77 focuser and the standard GSO 2 speed?

Jon

Sorry, not my experience. But if that's what you've found, more power to you.

The Meade 77? Why don't you do a shoot out between it and the helical focuser on the Meade Explorer Dob? That's one of its "advances" along with a plate glass mirror.

Be that as it may, we've drifted away from the original topic. My final words? Meade has produced many good scopes over the last 40-years, and even some great ones. I for one will be happy to have them back.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5875349 - 05/21/13 09:06 AM

Quote:

How about the 7" maksutov with an internal iron counterweight to make is balance like a SCT? Or the ETX-90 with a plastic back bucket to hold the optics together, but a heavy metal baffle stuck to the corrector to cause it to creep down the glass?

The truth is, we are where we are. How we got here isn't really all that important compared to deciding where to go tomorrow.

So, instead of the dredging, how about naming what you would like to see come out of Meade 2.0?

-Rich

"Back bucket..."? You mean the rear cell? Never seemed to be much of a problem, though metal would have certainly looked nicer. The problem with the secondary was not the baffle, but the adhesive Meade used. They fixed that problem a long, long time ago.

And yet, both telescopes were capable of producing exquisite images and certainly have their fans...including here...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5875460 - 05/21/13 10:29 AM

That's not my point. Rehashing old tech issues isn't especially useful, now.

What the heck, I'll just start another thread.

-Rich

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5875650 - 05/21/13 11:44 AM

Quote:

That's not my point. Rehashing old tech issues isn't especially useful, now.

What the heck, I'll just start another thread.

-Rich

Have fun. I obviously have no idea what your point was. Sorry.

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
      #5875683 - 05/21/13 11:57 AM

Meade has died! Long live Meade!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5875936 - 05/21/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Be that as it may, we've drifted away from the original topic. My final words? Meade has produced many good scopes over the last 40-years, and even some great ones. I for one will be happy to have them back.

My last word on the Meade Sonotube versus the Asian Metal tube Dobs: I have owned both, I own both... Like you, I found it was necessary to convert the Meade to truss style scope, I felt no such need with the Asian scopes.

Jon

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5876117 - 05/21/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

Meade gets funding and Jinqua (or whatever) gets a marquis-level trademark. Not a bad deal.

AND patents and a US distributorship. At under $4 a share a real bargain from JOC's perspective. As I understand it Mexican labor is cost competitive with the PRC's. Maybe JOC wants to expand production in Mexico. Google "chinese optics" and you'll see there are dozens of companies making binos, rifle scopes and night vision optics for the military and civilian use products on the side. They must be cutting each others throats.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Geo.]
      #5876325 - 05/21/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

AND patents and a US distributorship.

Jingua already has a US distributorship in Explore Scientific...

Jon

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5877296 - 05/22/13 01:33 AM

•Diebel sold Meade, bought it back, sold it again.

•In 2008, Meade sold two of its three non-telescope product brands (Weaver/Redfield) to two companies for a total of $8 million.

•In 2008, Meade sold their last non-telescope brand Simmons to Bushnell for $7.25 million.

•In 2009 Meade sold Meade Europe, its European subsidiary, for $12.4 million.

•Now (2013) Meade itself sells for $4.5 million after LX80/LX850 fiasco going on for past two years.

History says, Meade is dead!

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: mmalik]
      #5877311 - 05/22/13 01:46 AM

Quote:

•Diebel sold Meade, bought it back, sold it again.

•In 2008, Meade sold two of its three non-telescope product brands (Weaver/Redfield) to two companies for a total of $8 million.

•In 2008, Meade sold their last non-telescope brand Simmons to Bushnell for $7.25 million.

•In 2009 Meade sold Meade Europe, its European subsidiary, for $12.4 million.

•Now (2013) Meade itself sells for $4.5 million after LX80/LX850 fiasco going on for past two years.

History says, Meade is dead!

Are you sure the LX850 is a fiasco? The LX850 works as advertised and is an excellent telescope. Do you have one? Are you having problems? I have one (14") - we are having a blast with it. LX800 definitely had issues, however Meade has made good on it with the LX850.

LX600 is also doing well.

Coronado telescopes are still selling like hot cakes.

The company that is buying Meade has significant resources. I don't think Meade is dead. Under this logic, Celestron should be dead too.

I am confident all will be well with Meade.

leviathan
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Azerbaijan
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5877337 - 05/22/13 02:11 AM

Quote:

Are you sure the LX850 is a fiasco? The LX850 works as advertised and is an excellent telescope.

If we ignore the fact that it is a mount.

sqrlman

Reged: 01/02/08

#5878222 - 05/22/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

OH, and the 2-inch Meade focuser? Yes, it was lousy. But you've forgotten what Orion was putting on its dobs when the plastic fantastic Meade came out. What Orion was giving you was a cotton picking HELICAL job.

Uncle Rod,

You should have helped Peter Ceravolo write his brochure for the now legendary HD145 and HD216 telescopes. They also used cotton picking helical focusers.

Steve

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: sqrlman]
      #5878234 - 05/22/13 02:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

OH, and the 2-inch Meade focuser? Yes, it was lousy. But you've forgotten what Orion was putting on its dobs when the plastic fantastic Meade came out. What Orion was giving you was a cotton picking HELICAL job.

Uncle Rod,

You should have helped Peter Ceravolo write his brochure for the now legendary HD145 and HD216 telescopes. They also used cotton picking helical focusers.

Steve

I don't care if a helical focuser is made of platinum coated unobtainium, keep the cotton-picking things away from THIS little black duck.

That said, there are helicals, and there are helicals, and the one on the initial Orions was more like Coulter's plumbing parts focuser than unlike it...

sqrlman

Reged: 01/02/08

#5878404 - 05/22/13 03:43 PM

I agree, Uncle Rod. Helical focusers and Binoviewers go together like Tabasco and Haagan Daz.

Steve

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: sqrlman]
      #5878597 - 05/22/13 05:19 PM

Quote:

I agree, Uncle Rod. Helical focusers and Binoviewers go together like Tabasco and Haagan Daz.

Steve

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3483

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics