Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Meade Merges with another company
      #5871815 - 05/19/13 03:56 PM

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/meade-instruments-corp-announces-merger-2133277...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: moynihan]
      #5871838 - 05/19/13 04:07 PM

Earlier, I received a PM telling me that I may have been "mod bashing" in one of my earlier posts, though they did not identify the actual post. I invited the individual to point out the post in question, but then decided to see if I could find it myself.

I quickly came upon this post from earlier, and since it is likely the post in question, I've decided it would be better to just remove the possible source of offense.

My apologies if I offended anyone, it was entirely inadvertent. The mods are just doing their jobs and, much like the guy shagging golf balls at the driving range, sometimes they get hit unintentionally.

Sorry about that!

Edited by mayidunk (05/20/13 12:40 AM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5871933 - 05/19/13 04:45 PM

I posted the first thread on this in this group. It has already been locked. Tread lightly. I'm not sure what and all is getting these threads locked so quickly. I'm just guessing these categories of input are getting them shut:

(A) Nationalist pride projected onto a single business discussion.

(B) Brand perceptions.

(C) General snark.

Please be sensitive to the fact some folks have put sincere effort to put together good data for what they post, and an offhand emotional comment, while it may feel good for a moment, just ruins it for everybody when the Mods have to lock the thread to uphold the TOS.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (05/20/13 12:39 AM)

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5871940 - 05/19/13 04:47 PM

When a conglomerate with 300-400 subsidiaries and 400,000 employees is involved in a transaction of this type it is called an acquisition.

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Geo.]
      #5871964 - 05/19/13 04:56 PM

and why would this thread or any other on the topic of an important acquisition be locked?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: bcuddihee]
      #5871982 - 05/19/13 05:07 PM

It was not the subject of the thread that locked it IMO, it was the usual junk: name-calling, politics, yadda, yadda, yadda.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5872050 - 05/19/13 05:41 PM

Quote:

It has already been locked. Don't bother commenting. It's a forbidden topic.

Fascinating

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: moynihan]
      #5872383 - 05/19/13 08:20 PM

Thanks for letting us know. Maybe it will help Meade's bottom line.

Starman27Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: GeneT]
      #5872641 - 05/19/13 09:58 PM

There is another thread on this topic in the Meade/RCX/LX/ACF forum. The topic is not forbidden. However, many cross postings violate TOS. Also If the topic is lost or disregarded for politics, personal attacks, vendor bashing the usual problems that arise, then the thread can become locked. So far most everything thing discussed here has been off topic. Let's try an experiment and discuss this important issue with out the problems that have caused other threads to become locked. It is not the topic that is forbidden, but behavior that violates the TOS as uncle Rod pointed out above.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Starman27]
      #5872673 - 05/19/13 10:16 PM

Four and a half million bucks for Meade? Such a deeeaaaal! We could have put that together with a bunch of CNers. Then turn out some primo optics!

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Starman27]
      #5872686 - 05/19/13 10:20 PM

Quote:

There is another thread on this topic in the Meade/RCX/LX/ACF forum. The topic is not forbidden. However, many cross postings violate TOS. Also If the topic is lost or disregarded for politics, personal attacks, vendor bashing the usual problems that arise, then the thread can become locked. So far most everything thing discussed here has been off topic. Let's try an experiment and discuss this important issue with out the problems that have caused other threads to become locked. It is not the topic that is forbidden, but behavior that violates the TOS as uncle Rod pointed out above.

This x 1000 from the other Mod here. Just stay on topic and this important topic can be discussed at length.

And just to be clear what is not allowed.

Personal attacks and insults.
Vendor bashing - i.e. "all the stuff made by "X" is junk..."
Mod bashing. "The mods don't allow certain topics...."
Taking the thread off topic. Stay on the ramifications of the Meade situation.

As Uncle Rod said, it is these sorts of things that get threads locked every time, no matter the topic, no matter the forum.

Herman <Starman27> and I are going to work hard to keep this thread alive. But we need your help.

Dave

Edited by Cotts (05/19/13 10:39 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: rmollise]
      #5872766 - 05/19/13 10:58 PM

Quote:

It was not the subject of the thread that locked it IMO, it was the usual junk: name-calling, politics, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Jon

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5872955 - 05/20/13 01:18 AM

When I went and looked at the Equipment forum thread, not only was it locked, there wasn't enough of that thread left to figure out what anyone had done, or why it was locked. People I noticed who had had a lot of material vaporized have generally been pretty reserved contributors in other threads. It's in smoldering crater territory.

The history involving this vendor in recent years has been emotional for a lot of people for a lot of reasons. I can see rehashing isn't the pinnacle of our civilization's achievement. On the other hand, isn't that why everyone cares what is going on?

What are we left being able to say on this without getting a thread locked? Can we refer to the published financial reports? Can people talk about their product ownership experiences? Sometimes the snark-free discussion of the facts still is not a pretty picture. Where do we stand on that sort of situation, here? Is there a guideline such as, "If you find yourself writing 'I feel such and such is bad,' you're probably violating the TOS."

I fully agree there has to be a balance between whining snark and selling snake oil. It's just really frustrating to see discussions seemingly unable to get anywhere and not having an option for fixing it.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (05/20/13 01:23 AM)

Benson

Reged: 05/22/10

Loc: -6 gmt
      #5873069 - 05/20/13 04:00 AM

I find it disturbing that Meade has been acquired by a foreign competitor. Meade has a long history of supplying quality optics. I agree they made some mistakes, like all other such suppliers. They did not deserve this fate. It's a cutthroat business.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Benson]
      #5873171 - 05/20/13 07:40 AM

Quote:

I find it disturbing that Meade has been acquired by a foreign competitor.

If this goes through (and it surely will), Meade will be acquired by their primary supplier, who happens to be foreign. Very similar to what happened to Celestron, except that wasn't voluntary.

MikeCatfin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/12/04

Loc: NJ, USA
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5873213 - 05/20/13 08:23 AM

Regardless of my feeling toward Meade, I think this deal was inevitable and good for the long term prospects of the company. Meade has been on the financial ropes for quite a while. I would think that Meade being taken out by a foreign entity regardless of origin would add some stability to the company and hopefully will allow the company to focus on their products as opposed to whether or not they will live to see another day.

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: MikeCatfin]
      #5873263 - 05/20/13 08:57 AM

Personally, I'm hopeful that being acquired by a much larger company will allow for sufficient scrutiny of 'next product BLAH' that careless blunders (I AM NOT EVEN GENERALLY REFERRING TO ANYTHING/ANYBODY HERE) can be avoided.

Disclaimer: I haven't bought anything from Meade in a decade (although I liked the optical quality of what I bought back then), and would very much like to see them in the game again. I have NO opinion on ANY of their current products, but I like the idea of the LX-850 (and subsequent) lines.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Thomas Karpf]
      #5873319 - 05/20/13 09:32 AM

Meade has come up with some nice concepts. The implementation of these concepts uas left much to be desired. Hopefully this will be rectified now. Sad thing is the bad taste the consumer endured is not soon forgotten. Under new management is often employed to battle this.

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Benson]
      #5873321 - 05/20/13 09:33 AM

Deserve's got nothing to do with it. And it's questionable, anyway.

Meade, like most other companies that serve the amateur astronomy community, isn't a very big company. Not a huge cash flow, not many customers (all relative to the general marketplace). One bad run can easily bring such a company down. Without going into all the particulars, they've had such a run. A lot of folks unhappy with their recent work, a couple of very visible product failures. I don't know the details in all cases but, I suspect, had the folks at Meade had sufficient time, they could right the ship. But given the business world, they were never going to get that time. One can only hope now that the new owner can pull them around. Given their history and the relatively few players in the business, I suspect they can.

But it seems a good warning to all: making astronomy products for the amateur market is a tough business. Not many people there to buy your products and, when they do, they probably won't buy in bulk (ask yourself, even if you're one of those guys who goes through scopes and gear on a daily basis, have you ever up and ordered a pallet of eyepieces?).

Pretty much any of the companies we deal with here could go down with one bad launch. Carl Zambuto makes a dozen straight bad mirrors and, whoosh, all the air goes out of the room. Even though I've been ticked at pretty much every maker/dealer at one point or another, my hat is off to them for trying to serve such a small and demanding community and for making it possible to do stuff that, 20 years ago, I'd have thought impossible for the mid-level amateur.

Quote:

I find it disturbing that Meade has been acquired by a foreign competitor. Meade has a long history of supplying quality optics. I agree they made some mistakes, like all other such suppliers. They did not deserve this fate. It's a cutthroat business.

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: bunyon]
      #5873452 - 05/20/13 10:43 AM

Quote:

But it seems a good warning to all: making astronomy products for the amateur market is a tough business. Not many people there to buy your products and, when they do, they probably won't buy in bulk...Pretty much any of the companies we deal with here could go down with one bad launch.

I think this is a good reality check.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5873478 - 05/20/13 10:59 AM

Well said, indeed. All I would add is the high proportion of individual users in astronomy means the bulk of the customer base is paying most of what they can afford for this. It makes the experiences very personal. A company will have a process defined for dealing with a vendor who made a bad delivery with some route to normal relations, and the details will stay private if at all possible. Individual people really can't do that. That one problem car or major appliance can be the last one, and they'll tell anyone who asks the story.

I for one wouldn't be surprised by very major changes from this event. Give the new organization some breathing room and a chance to prove themselves.

-Rich

Quote:

Deserve's got nothing to do with it. And it's questionable, anyway.

Meade, like most other companies that serve the amateur astronomy community, isn't a very big company. Not a huge cash flow, not many customers (all relative to the general marketplace). One bad run can easily bring such a company down. Without going into all the particulars, they've had such a run. A lot of folks unhappy with their recent work, a couple of very visible product failures. I don't know the details in all cases but, I suspect, had the folks at Meade had sufficient time, they could right the ship. But given the business world, they were never going to get that time. One can only hope now that the new owner can pull them around. Given their history and the relatively few players in the business, I suspect they can.

But it seems a good warning to all: making astronomy products for the amateur market is a tough business. Not many people there to buy your products and, when they do, they probably won't buy in bulk (ask yourself, even if you're one of those guys who goes through scopes and gear on a daily basis, have you ever up and ordered a pallet of eyepieces?).

Pretty much any of the companies we deal with here could go down with one bad launch. Carl Zambuto makes a dozen straight bad mirrors and, whoosh, all the air goes out of the room. Even though I've been ticked at pretty much every maker/dealer at one point or another, my hat is off to them for trying to serve such a small and demanding community and for making it possible to do stuff that, 20 years ago, I'd have thought impossible for the mid-level amateur.

Quote:

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
      #5873517 - 05/20/13 11:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I find it disturbing that Meade has been acquired by a foreign competitor.

If this goes through (and it surely will), Meade will be acquired by their primary supplier, who happens to be foreign. Very similar to what happened to Celestron, except that wasn't voluntary.

Meade gets funding and Jinqua (or whatever) gets a marquis-level trademark. Not a bad deal.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5873556 - 05/20/13 11:45 AM

Quote:

Meade, like most other companies that serve the amateur astronomy community, isn't a very big company. Not a huge cash flow, not many customers (all relative to the general marketplace). One bad run can easily bring such a company down. Without going into all the particulars, they've had such a run

Paul:

As an observer of Meade products and fortunes over the last 20 or so years, I think it has taken more than just one bad run to bring them down, I think it has been a long term process, probably the result of a company driven by stockholders and the marketing department rather than savvy amateur astronomers. Hopefully that will change with the prospect of Scott Roberts guiding Meade's future.

The current problems with the roll out of their new mounts are strikingly similar to the last time Meade came out with new GEMs, the LXD-55/75. The announcement and advertising began long before the arrival and when the product arrived, it was flawed. It's just bad strategy, people get excited at the announcement, then they become frustrated with the wait and then disappointed with product.

Another example of poor marketing was the decision to call the ACF series of scopes, Ritchey–Chrétien Telescopes. That was a serious mistake, the scopes were a definite step up from the standard SCTs that had been around for more than 30 years but that was all lost in the silly attempt to call them something they were not. These were high end scopes aimed at the knowledgeable amateur, the exact people who could easily see through this scheme.

And then there was the changes in their support policies, as I recall they decided not to supply parts for their scopes.

In any event, the consumer has seen a long term erosion of whatever confidence they might have had in Meade, one bad run does not defeat a solid company. Compare Meade to Orion. Maybe it's because Orion is a vendor/designer rather than a manufacturer but Orion seems to have their finger on the pulse of the modern amateur astronomer..

Consider the modern commercial Dob. A joint venture between Orion and GSO, today, every commercial Dob, whether GSO or Synta, directly springs from the original XT-6, XT-8 and XT-10 that hit the scene more than 13 years ago. Orion has capitalized on that market, developed Intelliscope and now has developed affordable GOTO Dobs. Meade sole product is the Lightbridge, GSO's truss Dob.

The ED-80, a joint venture between Orion and Synta, it marked a revolution in affordable, apochromatic/ED refractors. And Orion has been riding that wave ever since. Meade seems to be a non-player in that field.

Looking back, Meade has long had a mixed record, copying other's designs, importing a variety of scopes, capitalizing on the Meade name by marketing a variety of poorly outfitted department store telescopes. The LX-200 series probably represents the pinnacle of Meade, they really had a solid product with that one.

My memory maybe faulty but I remember reading a story by Roland Christen where he wrote that when Meade was introducing their line of ED/apo doublets, John Diebel, Meade's founder, told Roland that the Meade doublets were going to put him out of business.

It didn't happen that way. Astro-Physics is flourishing, Meade has gone under. Maybe if Meade had stuck with quality products for the amateur astronomer, something Orion has done, the story would be different. I do think that if Scott Roberts does take charge of Meade, the future for Meade and for amateur astronomers is bright.

Jon Isaacs

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5873562 - 05/20/13 11:47 AM

Quote:

Meade gets funding and Jinqua (or whatever) gets a marquis-level trademark. Not a bad deal.

Not bad at all. If you look at the last 10-Q, the sale price was about equal to the reported value of tools, machinery, and equipment. So they got the brand essentially for free, or for whatever debt Meade incurred since the last filing. Meade was hemorrhaging cash-- It looks like they recently (~December)issued a bunch of shares to a Capital company, which I assume were discounted, probably in return for enough cash to pay their accounts payable and keep going.

I think to be viable, though, they need to cultivate a market for their products in Defense or Homeland Security--something in addition to selling to us amateurs.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5873612 - 05/20/13 12:17 PM

I am surprised they lasted this long. It was a miracle, in light of the losses upon losses. I am sorry to see this, yet at the same time I know it had to be. Meade should never have gone public. That was the ruination of the company right there. They had been on a high after the ETX boom and they could never regain that. I believe it is probably inappropriate for companies in this business to be publicly traded, especially if astronomy is their main occupation. Small companies are put under the wrong pressures by going public.

Good luck to Meade. GW

rmollise
Postmaster

#5873661 - 05/20/13 12:42 PM

Quote:

As an observer of Meade products and fortunes over the last 20 or so years, I think it has taken more than just one bad run to bring them down, I think it has been a long term process, probably the result of a company driven by stockholders and the marketing department rather than savvy amateur astronomers. Hopefully that will change with the prospect of Scott Roberts guiding Meade's future.

Very good, interesting post. A couple of quibbles, natch.

The "ACF scopes" you speak of was the RCX 400 series.

As for commercial Dobs? Not really. Meade was there at the same time, actually even a little before Orion, with their StarFinder Dobs. At any rate, both Orion's original Dobsonians and the StarFinders owe more to Jim Braginton's Red Tube Coulter Odysseys than anything else. To this day, import Dobs follow Jim's basic design--with the good and bad inherent in that. Oh, Orion's original Dobs (the "Explorers" I believe they were called) were not made by GSO but by an American vendor.

Meade? I date the beginning of the decline to about 2006 and the RCX. It was an advance, and I was VERY impressed by the single scope I got to use, the 10-inch at a Cherry Springs Star Party. But it was not _quite_ there. I'm not sure the lawsuit had that huge an effect--if I recall, Meade's opponents were only awarded 1$. What killed the RCX was problems out of the box, especially with the focus/collimation system.

Edited by rmollise (05/20/13 12:52 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

#5873674 - 05/20/13 12:49 PM

Quote:

I think to be viable, though, they need to cultivate a market for their products in Defense or Homeland Security--something in addition to selling to us amateurs.

I don't think so. Even if a Chinese company could get in on that, they don't need to.

Yes, Meade has fallen in the esteem of amateurs--who always made Meade the bulk of their profits--but even with all the problems, Meade was still able to produce some decent scopes. Like the ACF 10-inch LX200 a buddy of mine bought not long back. Superb instrument. And a lot of amateurs still have a soft place in their hearts for Old Blue.

All it takes is for good, reasonably priced product to start flowing again and Meade will be on its way back. I believe that if the sale goes through, the steady hands that will be at the helm will see to that.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #5873677 - 05/20/13 12:50 PM

"Meade should never have gone public."

+1

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I'm just about to finish restoring a 1989-ish 10" f/6.3 LX6. Absolutely wonderful scope. The scope, coatings, mount, and tracking are in great shape. (I fired the tracking up for the first time last night with the scope on its shiny 'new' wedge and field tripod.)

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
      #5873679 - 05/20/13 12:50 PM

Jon and Rod, you guys have almost certainly been better observers of Meade than I. I wasn't aware of several of the events in Jon's posts. I do think, being small companies in a small community, they're especially susceptible to bad news being huge. I'd be glad to know it takes more than a couple of mistakes to kill one.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5873759 - 05/20/13 01:23 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. Even if a Chinese company could get in on that, they don't need to.

It's unclear at this point how the company will be structured. It might be a subsidiary incorporated in the US. And Chinese ownership is apparently no longer a bar to bidding on military contracts. In Feb. 2011 Cirrus Aircraft was sold to a Chinese company. In July 2011, the Air Force Academy ordered 25 Cirrus-built training aircraft.

We'll see how this plays out.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5873775 - 05/20/13 01:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's unclear at this point how the company will be structured. It might be a subsidiary incorporated in the US. And Chinese ownership is apparently no longer a bar to bidding on military contracts. In Feb. 2011 Cirrus Aircraft was sold to a Chinese company. In July 2011, the Air Force Academy ordered 25 Cirrus-built training aircraft.

We'll see how this plays out.

That may be. Or it may not be. The main thing? I wouldn't want to see them do it. One of the things that got Meade bogged down in the first place IMHO was straying off the astronomy beam too far.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5873880 - 05/20/13 02:35 PM

Quote:

As for commercial Dobs? Not really. Meade was there at the same time, actually even a little before Orion, with their StarFinder Dobs.

I know that Meade was there with the Starfinder Dobs long before Orion ever dreamed of the XT series. Orion was selling sonotube Dobs manufactured by Discovery. Celsetron was selling both Discovery manufactured Dobs and in house dobs.

But my point was this: If you look at the commercial Dobs that are available today, whether it's Skywatcher, Orion, Meade, Apertura, Astro-Tech, Zhumell, they are all direct descendants of the original Orion XT-6/XT-8/XT-10.

Those first Orion metal tube Dobs, the XT-6 and the XT-8, were manufactured by GSO in Taiwan in about 1999. About 2001, the XT-10 came along. Then Orion decided to switch suppliers to Synta and since then, the XT series has been manufactured by Synta/Skywatcher... Skywatcher sells their line of Synta Dobs, Celestron sold them too there for a while.

When Orion switched to Synta, it left GSO in need of vendors to sell their stuff. A variety of smaller vendors filled the gap, Hands on Optics, OPT sold GSO Dobs, Hardin was the US importer for some years. Hardin stopped importing scopes to focus on their main business of high end optics, Zhumell took over, Meade began selling the Lightbridges, Astronomics/Astro-Tech began selling GSO Dobs, Apertura is the most recent importer.

Along the way, various metal tube Dobs have been added, GSO with the 12 inch and 16 inch tube as well as truss models between 8 and 16 inch. Orion has a great variety including the XT-4.5, as well as 12 inch, 14 inch and now a 16 inch GOTO scope.

But all these can be tracked directly back to the original XT-6 and XT-8, the first commercial metal tubed dobs...

Jon

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5873897 - 05/20/13 02:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yup. It's not as though they haven't been deeply involved with each other for decades.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5873914 - 05/20/13 02:58 PM

Quote:

Yup. It's not as though they haven't been deeply involved with each other for decades.

As others have pointed out, the present scenario is nearly identical to Celestron being owned by Synta...

A bit of irony... There was a time when Celestron had a close relationship with Vixen. Then Celestron began having the Vixens cloned by Synta. The final step was when Vixen began selling Synta cloned Vixens as Vixens.

Jon

rmollise
Postmaster

#5874009 - 05/20/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

But my point was this: If you look at the commercial Dobs that are available today, whether it's Skywatcher, Orion, Meade, Apertura, Astro-Tech, Zhumell, they are all direct descendants of the original Orion XT-6/XT-8/XT-10.

In a way, I suppose. But all of 'em...the Explorers, the StarFinders, the Celestrons (which came a little later than the Orion and Meade Dobs) really are the descendants of Jim's second wave of Dobbies, the Red Tubes. Meade was selling Dobs before Orion, but not "long" before...really only a few months to a year or so, I believe. The metal tubes were nice, but it really was just a minor change from Coulter's "resists a nearby megaton range thermonuclear explosion" Sonotube dobbies.

Edited by rmollise (05/20/13 03:41 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

#5874020 - 05/20/13 03:39 PM

Quote:

As others have pointed out, the present scenario is nearly identical to Celestron being owned by Synta...

A bit of irony... There was a time when Celestron had a close relationship with Vixen. Then Celestron began having the Vixens cloned by Synta. The final step was when Vixen began selling Synta cloned Vixens as Vixens.

Jon

Celestron began selling Synta's GP Clones when they wanted, I suppose, something less expensive than the real deal for the Great Polaris C8. Synta had already brought that mount to market and were selling it a fair number of places, I think you'll find...

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5874114 - 05/20/13 04:09 PM

Quote:

The metal tubes were nice, but it really was just a minor change from Coulter's "resists a nearby megaton range thermonuclear explosion" Sonotube dobbies.

Having seen and looked through a number of red tube Coulters, I have to say the changes were more than just minor...

In any event, my point was and is that the current crop of commercial Dobs are essentially just different models of those original XT6's and XT-8's. At the time they arrived on the scene, they represented a serious change in the marketplace and they quickly replaced what had been available before.

In any event, Meade did miss the boat with their Dobs, once the Orion's arrived, the Meade's were in trouble. In today's world of 2 inch two speed GSO Crayfords, it's worth remembering Meade had the gall to charge money for upgrading to a 2 inch Plastic focuser.. I think that was the model 77?

Jon

rmollise
Postmaster

#5874210 - 05/20/13 04:42 PM

Quote:

Having seen and looked through a number of red tube Coulters, I have to say the changes were more than just minor...

In any event, my point was and is that the current crop of commercial Dobs are essentially just different models of those original XT6's and XT-8's. At the time they arrived on the scene, they represented a serious change in the marketplace and they quickly replaced what had been available before.

In any event, Meade did miss the boat with their Dobs, once the Orion's arrived, the Meade's were in trouble. In today's world of 2 inch two speed GSO Crayfords, it's worth remembering Meade had the gall to charge money for upgrading to a 2 inch Plastic focuser.. I think that was the model 77?

Jon

Well, sort of...

Meade, and then Orion, and then Orion and its Chinese partners gussied up the original, the Coulter, but that's it. Better spider, somewhat better primary mounts, somewhat better focusers. The results were pretty much the same, though, with most of the Chinese Dobs being no better really. The thing they REALLY needed to upgrade the too-small side bearings was what they didn't do, and still struggle with today with kludges like springs.

Not long after Orion went Chinese, Meade decided to get out of the Dobsonian business--they really hadn't been pushing them for some time. I believe they, like Celestron, decided that small, cheap Dobs were more trouble than they were worth for them. Orion also gave up on "its" Dobs and began importing GSOs and Syntas, which were, quite frankly not much--if any different from the Dobs those companies were already selling under various brandnames.

Jon, if you want to know who REALLY revolutionized the small Dobsonian, it was good old Meade. They came in when Coulter was still the only game in town other than custom rigs like Sky Designs, and they did everything you want to praise Orion and the Chinese for FIRST. Better focuser. Better finished, attractive tube, better focuser, better primary mount, a real spider. The only thing the Chinese and Orion added MUCH LATER was the metal tubes...but I am not really sure how much of an "advance" that was.

OH, and the 2-inch Meade focuser? Yes, it was lousy. But you've forgotten what Orion was putting on its dobs when the plastic fantastic Meade came out. What Orion was giving you was a cotton picking HELICAL job.

Howsomeever...other than these things I agree with you 100% as always.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: MikeCatfin]
      #5874231 - 05/20/13 04:55 PM

Quote:

Regardless of my feeling toward Meade, I think this deal was inevitable and good for the long term prospects of the company.

My thinking exactly.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5874262 - 05/20/13 05:16 PM

Quote:

The thing they REALLY needed to upgrade the too-small side bearings was what they didn't do, and still struggle with today with kludges like springs.

If you do the engineering analysis, the springs have the same effect as larger bearings...

I do remember the 6 and 8 inch Meade's with the iron counterweights that helped keep the mirror warm...

As far as the differences between what Meade was selling and Orion.. I bought an original XT-8... the Meade's of that era were a work in progress, Orion was a reasonably finished product...

It may be that was the only real difference...

Jon

rmollise
Postmaster

#5874350 - 05/20/13 06:12 PM

Quote:

If you do the engineering analysis, the springs have the same effect as larger bearings...

I do remember the 6 and 8 inch Meade's with the iron counterweights that helped keep the mirror warm...

As far as the differences between what Meade was selling and Orion.. I bought an original XT-8... the Meade's of that era were a work in progress, Orion was a reasonably finished product...

It may be that was the only real difference...

Jon

Your engineering analysis may show they work as well. My "use" analysis says tain't so, not in a pig's eye.

I would call the XT, the rest of the current Chinese solid tube dobs, and their ancestors, ALL works in progress. I have never, ever seen one that did not require futzing with. They are somewhat better now, but not worlds better.

The Chinese go-to Dobs are better in a way, since you no longer have to worry about to hard/sticky motions, which are often the bane of these scopes.

OTOH, an humble 8-inch Meade for the price they were charging, much less one of the import dobs? When I was a kid one would have simply blown me away.

Edited by rmollise (05/20/13 06:14 PM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5874370 - 05/20/13 06:25 PM

How about the 7" maksutov with an internal iron counterweight to make is balance like a SCT? Or the ETX-90 with a plastic back bucket to hold the optics together, but a heavy metal baffle stuck to the corrector to cause it to creep down the glass?

The truth is, we are where we are. How we got here isn't really all that important compared to deciding where to go tomorrow.

So, instead of the dredging, how about naming what you would like to see come out of Meade 2.0?

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (05/20/13 06:47 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5874681 - 05/20/13 08:57 PM

Quote:

Your engineering analysis may show they work as well. My "use" analysis says tain't so, not in a pig's eye.

Mine were good enough that stock I used them at 800x within 10 degrees of the Zenith, for splitting doubles, not the best but doable. Since then I have reworked them, they're better, no doubt about it...

In my experience, the important thing is that the bearings are clean and free from embedded debris. When the motion deteriorates, I scrape them clean. Of course this is true of any Dob...

I am wondering, do I need to do a comparison between the Meade Model 77 focuser and the standard GSO 2 speed?

Jon

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
      #5875255 - 05/21/13 07:23 AM

"Can't we all just get along?".....

I go through life with an open mind, and almost always give the other guy the 'benefit of the doubt'...AND YESSSSS!...I get my butt kicked a lot for that!....but I'll tell ya', I got lotsa lotsa friends!

rcdk

Reged: 11/13/10

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: RobertED]
      #5875330 - 05/21/13 08:38 AM

This is an awesome time to be an amatuer astronomer. The equipment options are great and there are still some really dark skies out there even if you have to drive a bit to get to them.

But from reading some of the posts here you would think the astro equipment manufacturers require their customers to endure time on a rack as payment.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5875344 - 05/21/13 09:01 AM

Quote:

Mine were good enough that stock I used them at 800x within 10 degrees of the Zenith, for splitting doubles, not the best but doable. Since then I have reworked them, they're better, no doubt about it...

In my experience, the important thing is that the bearings are clean and free from embedded debris. When the motion deteriorates, I scrape them clean. Of course this is true of any Dob...

I am wondering, do I need to do a comparison between the Meade Model 77 focuser and the standard GSO 2 speed?

Jon

Sorry, not my experience. But if that's what you've found, more power to you.

The Meade 77? Why don't you do a shoot out between it and the helical focuser on the Meade Explorer Dob? That's one of its "advances" along with a plate glass mirror.

Be that as it may, we've drifted away from the original topic. My final words? Meade has produced many good scopes over the last 40-years, and even some great ones. I for one will be happy to have them back.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5875349 - 05/21/13 09:06 AM

Quote:

How about the 7" maksutov with an internal iron counterweight to make is balance like a SCT? Or the ETX-90 with a plastic back bucket to hold the optics together, but a heavy metal baffle stuck to the corrector to cause it to creep down the glass?

The truth is, we are where we are. How we got here isn't really all that important compared to deciding where to go tomorrow.

So, instead of the dredging, how about naming what you would like to see come out of Meade 2.0?

-Rich

"Back bucket..."? You mean the rear cell? Never seemed to be much of a problem, though metal would have certainly looked nicer. The problem with the secondary was not the baffle, but the adhesive Meade used. They fixed that problem a long, long time ago.

And yet, both telescopes were capable of producing exquisite images and certainly have their fans...including here...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5875460 - 05/21/13 10:29 AM

That's not my point. Rehashing old tech issues isn't especially useful, now.

What the heck, I'll just start another thread.

-Rich

rmollise
Postmaster

#5875650 - 05/21/13 11:44 AM

Quote:

That's not my point. Rehashing old tech issues isn't especially useful, now.

What the heck, I'll just start another thread.

-Rich

Have fun. I obviously have no idea what your point was. Sorry.

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
      #5875683 - 05/21/13 11:57 AM

Meade has died! Long live Meade!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5875936 - 05/21/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Be that as it may, we've drifted away from the original topic. My final words? Meade has produced many good scopes over the last 40-years, and even some great ones. I for one will be happy to have them back.

My last word on the Meade Sonotube versus the Asian Metal tube Dobs: I have owned both, I own both... Like you, I found it was necessary to convert the Meade to truss style scope, I felt no such need with the Asian scopes.

Jon

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

#5876117 - 05/21/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

AND patents and a US distributorship. At under $4 a share a real bargain from JOC's perspective. As I understand it Mexican labor is cost competitive with the PRC's. Maybe JOC wants to expand production in Mexico. Google "chinese optics" and you'll see there are dozens of companies making binos, rifle scopes and night vision optics for the military and civilian use products on the side. They must be cutting each others throats.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5876325 - 05/21/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

AND patents and a US distributorship.

Jingua already has a US distributorship in Explore Scientific...

Jon

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5877296 - 05/22/13 01:33 AM

•Diebel sold Meade, bought it back, sold it again.

•In 2008, Meade sold two of its three non-telescope product brands (Weaver/Redfield) to two companies for a total of $8 million.

•In 2008, Meade sold their last non-telescope brand Simmons to Bushnell for $7.25 million.

•In 2009 Meade sold Meade Europe, its European subsidiary, for $12.4 million.

•Now (2013) Meade itself sells for $4.5 million after LX80/LX850 fiasco going on for past two years.

History says, Meade is dead!

Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: mmalik]
      #5877311 - 05/22/13 01:46 AM

Quote:

•Diebel sold Meade, bought it back, sold it again.

•In 2008, Meade sold two of its three non-telescope product brands (Weaver/Redfield) to two companies for a total of $8 million.

•In 2008, Meade sold their last non-telescope brand Simmons to Bushnell for $7.25 million.

•In 2009 Meade sold Meade Europe, its European subsidiary, for $12.4 million.

•Now (2013) Meade itself sells for $4.5 million after LX80/LX850 fiasco going on for past two years.

History says, Meade is dead!

Are you sure the LX850 is a fiasco? The LX850 works as advertised and is an excellent telescope. Do you have one? Are you having problems? I have one (14") - we are having a blast with it. LX800 definitely had issues, however Meade has made good on it with the LX850.

LX600 is also doing well.

Coronado telescopes are still selling like hot cakes.

The company that is buying Meade has significant resources. I don't think Meade is dead. Under this logic, Celestron should be dead too.

I am confident all will be well with Meade.

leviathan
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Azerbaijan
Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5877337 - 05/22/13 02:11 AM

Quote:

Are you sure the LX850 is a fiasco? The LX850 works as advertised and is an excellent telescope.

If we ignore the fact that it is a mount.

sqrlman

Reged: 01/02/08

#5878222 - 05/22/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

OH, and the 2-inch Meade focuser? Yes, it was lousy. But you've forgotten what Orion was putting on its dobs when the plastic fantastic Meade came out. What Orion was giving you was a cotton picking HELICAL job.

Uncle Rod,

You should have helped Peter Ceravolo write his brochure for the now legendary HD145 and HD216 telescopes. They also used cotton picking helical focusers.

Steve

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: sqrlman]
      #5878234 - 05/22/13 02:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Uncle Rod,

You should have helped Peter Ceravolo write his brochure for the now legendary HD145 and HD216 telescopes. They also used cotton picking helical focusers.

Steve

I don't care if a helical focuser is made of platinum coated unobtainium, keep the cotton-picking things away from THIS little black duck.

That said, there are helicals, and there are helicals, and the one on the initial Orions was more like Coulter's plumbing parts focuser than unlike it...

sqrlman

Reged: 01/02/08

#5878404 - 05/22/13 03:43 PM

I agree, Uncle Rod. Helical focusers and Binoviewers go together like Tabasco and Haagan Daz.

Steve

rmollise
Postmaster

#5878597 - 05/22/13 05:19 PM

Quote:

I agree, Uncle Rod. Helical focusers and Binoviewers go together like Tabasco and Haagan Daz.

Steve

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

#5879728 - 05/23/13 08:25 AM

Quote:

Jingua already has a US distributorship in Explore Scientific... Jon

I haven't seen too many ES products at Costco or Walmart. Don't forget where Meade made their money. It wasn't in the advanced user products.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5879786 - 05/23/13 09:02 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen too many ES products at Costco or Walmart. Don't forget where Meade made their money. It wasn't in the advanced user products.

Yes it was. Meade never made much--if any--_profit_ from Wally-World. Add to that the fact that Wal-Mart hasn't sold telescopes at Christmas for several seasons now. Other than amateurs, a big source of profit for them was the "science stores"--Discover Channel Store, Nature's Wonders, etc. Alas, all those are gone now.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5880408 - 05/23/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

Tabasco and Haagan Daz.

Steve

OK. I'm not so hungry for lunch now.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Meade Merges with another company new [Re: EFT]
      #5880515 - 05/23/13 03:28 PM

"Don't knock it..."

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5880690 - 05/23/13 04:35 PM

I think the move is brilliant! bugs worked out, solid product, all the hard work is done. Build them and we will come..
remember how uncertain we were about Celestrons Chinese optics? That was settlrd quickly enough..
Just a lot of scope tubes out there. Now the computer mindset of it will be outdated before I get it..
Heck my Compustar 14 still works great! Plus the added
workout carrying a biiger battery...
I'm still thinking it is a #1 #2 which is better the C.P. Orange 8 or the LX200... cant figure which is which tho.
GOOD LUCK MEADE! I'm pulling for you!

caheaton
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Now a dilemma... new [Re: orion61]
      #5881141 - 05/23/13 09:15 PM

I'd been toying with the idea of selling a couple of scopes from my stable and replacing them with either a LS-6 or LT-6. Now I'm not so sure...given ES's track record, the price of these scopes may just come down, perhaps in a Christmas sale at the end of the year. So...order now or wait and see?

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: Now a dilemma... new [Re: caheaton]
      #5887356 - 05/27/13 03:50 PM

If it were my money, I would wait and see. The chances are that this will go very well for Meade. But no one knows for sure.

This "take over", "merger", "bail out", whatever you want to call it is not only welcomed for Meade it was a necessity and expected.

We could all see on Meade's public financial statements that Meade was simply burning through cash on hand and had little chance of turning things around. We could all see that as of the beginning of this month Meade would have had to start to liquidate hard assets to maintain cash flow, closed shop, or find a "partner".

Given those three bad options facing Meade senior management, this outcome was the best of the bunch. Meade will live to see another day, and rumors are already flying that ES will encourage Meade to step up and resolve the outstanding issues with the LX80 and Meade's challenges with parts availability for off warranty equipment.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Now a dilemma... new [Re: ur7x]
      #5887396 - 05/27/13 04:11 PM

Christas is quite a ways out. Is the wait worth what you may or may not save? Personally, I'd rather have the scope and be enjoying it. Also, if comet Ison pans out there may be a shortage of stock at the end of the year.

ur7x
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/08/12

Re: Now a dilemma... new [Re: jgraham]
      #5894686 - 05/31/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Also, if comet Ison pans out there may be a shortage of stock at the end of the year.

Ding! Bright Comets are usually not negative omens if you own a telescope company.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3534

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics