Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Ron (Lubbock)
sage

Reged: 08/17/12

Loc: West TX
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Stew57]
      #5966646 - 07/12/13 12:27 AM

I just bought an Edge 11 HD. It kicks the *BLEEP* out of my old C8 (non-HD) both visually and photographically. The flat field was worth the price to me. I can transport it comfortably and get it on the mount comfortably, though I could see someone else finding it unwieldy. Here's another "b" vote, though I would have said to get the C11 HD if it were an option. FWIW, I did not buy the expensive, heavy focal reducer and I don't miss it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Ron (Lubbock)]
      #5966819 - 07/12/13 04:25 AM

If I owned a Mewlon 210 I'd put my money and time into getting a rock-solid collimation solution in place for it, and take it on my trip. What great telescopes - it's a shame if an example misses use under a dark sky because of an unaddressed issue. If you don't have the Takahashi collimating scope, that is supposed to make the job easier. I believe I would enjoy the images more from it than from any of the others you are discussing. You're taking another scope for wide-field views.

If I knew I was buying a C11, I wouldn't think about a C9.25; they aren't different enough to be interesting to compare.

Lee

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5966875 - 07/12/13 06:21 AM

Id go the STD 9.25 and an F6.3 FF/FR....
That would make the DSO observing a lot better by correcting the field, and lowering the F ratio!
My C8 Lives with it on it.. I've even used it on my C14.
At least I can clean it if the lenses get dirty.

Hermie
sage

Reged: 04/20/05

Loc: Cloudy HKG
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: orion61]
      #5966892 - 07/12/13 06:56 AM

Jim,

I don't have experience with these scopes, but I have been mulling a cat to complement my refractor - if I ever can get settled in one place. I've started to post several times, only to delete my suggestion. So I empathize with your dilemma.

There is just so much overlap with the scopes you have and that you are planning to get. I think that a C8 and C11 is a reasonable combination, but when you throw in the C9.25 and Mewlon it begins to be like an eyepiece collection!

Really, your decision comes down to: which of your existing scopes do you want to put in a head-to-head with an Edge? Your existing C8 (which you have said is nice) or the Mewlon (which should have some advantages over a C9.25).

I'd love to suggest that you get a C11 and just squeeze everything in your car, but you have said that won't work. If I understand your situation with the Mewlon, then I guess a C9.25 Edge is what you want in the cart.

Hermie

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Hermie]
      #5967049 - 07/12/13 09:44 AM

Jim,

I would go for the C925HD only. While I do like collecting scopes (can't say my wife shares that feeling ), the 925HD will be better than both the 8HD and the regular 925.

The guy I got my C8EdgeHD from replaced it with a C925EdgeHD. The 8 was beautiful, but the 925 did everything better (save for giving up a little absolute field due to the FL increase). And he had a TMB refractor as well and felt the 925 just could do more (DSO, planets).

I had my 8 Edge out last night and these things are just so nice to use. A 16T5 in the diagonal on M13 and it frames the cluster and the two bright field stars. And the stars are _perfect_ right to the field stop and all across the center.

I would say if you were looking for utmost portability in one scope, then it would be the C8Edge since it rides a CG5 class mount perfectly and can be moved all as a single package. I think the 925 would push this over the top a bit due to needing more counterweights and it taxing the mount a little more.

But since you are already dragging the bigger mount, go for it!

Clear skies!

Paul Schroeder
sage

Reged: 06/05/03

#5967113 - 07/12/13 10:16 AM

Quote:

Id go the STD 9.25 and an F6.3 FF/FR....
That would make the DSO observing a lot better by correcting the field, and lowering the F ratio!

It seems like you really want the aperture of the 9 1/4.

I'd second the above suggestion, with one potential addition. If you have 30 days to return the scope, why not both this combo (standard 9 1/4 + focal reducer) and an Edge 9 1/4? You could satisfy your curiosity whether the Edge is worth the money.

I'm sure a lot of people would find that to be an interesting comparison!

Paul

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5967178 - 07/12/13 10:53 AM

Quote:

I'd correct that. I'm not dubious about the Edge scopes. Rather, I'm dubious about Celestron SCTs

Your misapprehensions about the Edge scopes are misplaced. BUT...you are not sure which scope you want, and whether it should be a Celestron, so I'd say your best bet is don't buy anything right now. Get out to your local club, see if one of the members has one you can try.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #5967304 - 07/12/13 12:13 PM

Jim,
From what you have said, it seems the 14" is "too big" the 8" is "too small" and either the 9.25" or the 11" is just right depending on which mount you want to use it on? As you are talking about portability and smaller than the AP900 mount, I suggest that the 9.25" is what will keep you happy. I provides more aperture than the 8" and less weight than the 11". As for HD vs standard Ota's? I don't know what eyepieces you like to use but the HD should be more satisfying with wide-fields like the XW Delos and Naglers.
Just my two cents from reading your posts.
Rex
P.S. With your shopping cart indecision, for heaven's sakes, put a parental block on the shopping channel now!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: tomcody]
      #5967532 - 07/12/13 02:32 PM

e. Buy them all, observe from home, there's always next year...and look at the assortment of scopes you'll have to choose from!

Sorry....a homeless scope is a terrible site to see....

Rand Barthel

Reged: 12/16/12

Loc: Central Massachusetts
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5967643 - 07/12/13 03:21 PM

I'm doing this same dance in my mind (no real dollars involved yet) because I plan to make my move next year. The dilemma is trying to balance aperture fever, portability, and a desire to at least fiddle around with AP in the future. If I were sure I would only ever want to do visual, I'd go for about a 12" truss-tube go-to dob. If I were sure I was mainly interested in AP, I'd go with the 8 Edge and use the cost difference between the 8 Edge and the 925 Edge to pay for AP gear. But if I am trying to cover all the bases with one scope, the 925 Edge seems to be the best all-rounder. Decisions, decisions!

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Rand Barthel]
      #5967743 - 07/12/13 04:17 PM

Jim,

I do most of my observing using the on axis FOV, so the edge optics wouldn't be as high of a priority with me. I would then choose option C and save some money. But if you are into viewing the entire FOV, then get the edge optics. If money wasn't an issue, then try option D. Good luck with your choice.

Bill

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5967812 - 07/12/13 05:06 PM

(b)

timps
sage

Reged: 02/24/13

#5967899 - 07/12/13 06:06 PM

I thought you didn't like SCT's?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5967982 - 07/12/13 07:07 PM

"If you don't have the Takahashi collimating scope, that is supposed to make the job easier."

I do have the collimating scope. It works with the bigger Mewlons with center spotted secondaries, not the 210 and 180 which do not, sadly. The problem I have with collimation is that when I received the scope from OPT it was FUBARed on the collimation front, but I didn't learn that until I set it up when the weather cleared two months after buying it. I collimated it with the stock screws, which are shockingly tights, and enjoyed it quite a lot from home. I was picking off the Pup three years ago when no one else in my club could. It does a great job keeping light where it belongs (when collimated). But then I started traveling with the scope. Every significant trip would result in having to collimate when I reached my destination. I grew tired of the stiff screws and the long tube, so I made the bad mistake of putting Bob's Knobs on it. They work great on SCTs. On Mewlons, though, not so much. They are just as tight and hard to turn as the stock screws, but you have less leverage with the knobs. Blisters and bloody skin on the knobs are guaranteed. A month ago I decided to put the stock screws back in. However, when I went to collimate it, I simply could not get things back in order. I now suspect that either my primary of secondary is decentered. In any event, love the optics and the elegant, thermally savvy design. Hate the aggravation. I'm pretty close to either sending it to Texas Nautical to let them figure out what the heck is wrong with the mirror retention system on the scope, or else selling it "as is" for a discount to someone who wants one but doesn't have the scratch to pay full pony. Life is too short to futz around with finicky gear IMO.

As for C9.25 and C11 not being different enough, I think that depends. The C9.25 will be an OTA and will be used on EQ mounts. The C11 would be a fork mounted scope. To me, even at exactly the same aperture there's a world of difference between an EQ mounted and fork mounted viewing experience. The reason for the CPC would not be the extra inch and change of aperture, but rather the simple, comfortable self-contained scope-mount combo. If the CPC Deluxes were on sale now, I'd probably be looking at one of those (9.25 of 11) instead. But, alas, only the EQ mounted and bare OTAs are getting the discounting love at the moment.

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5967984 - 07/12/13 07:09 PM

Yep, I already have plenty of SCT accessories including the Celestron f/6.3 FF/FR. I do use it with my standard SCTs often.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: timps]
      #5968010 - 07/12/13 07:26 PM

I think you're confusing "not being an SCT fan boy" with "not liking SCTs". They are actually different. I like SCTs for the things that they do well and don't care for them for the things they do less well.

The one thing mid-aperture SCTs do better than anything else is provide significant aperture in a compact, easy to transport, easy to mount package at a moderate price. To achieve that convenience, they do compromise on other virtues.

For loaded travel where you want both wide field and deep magnitude reach capable of sharing a given mount, SCTs are the best option and the best value for pairing with a nice faster refractor. The two complement one another nicely.

I would never have an SCT as my only scope. But also, I would never be without at least one SCT for travel. Telescopes are tools. Different tools excel at different tasks.

I still haven't pushed "go to checkout", and the cart is currently empty. I'll bite the bullet when I get home.

Of course, if I could be less extreme in my selection of other gear for the trip (cameras, tents, shade structures, coolers, books, sleeping bags, electronic devices, etc., etc.) I could take more astronomy gear. It was so much simpler when I could eat freeze dried backpacking meals. Packing fresh food that requires on-site preparation takes up boatloads of space.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (07/12/13 07:29 PM)

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Aurora Colorado
      #5968015 - 07/12/13 07:36 PM

Wait, I heard you struck oil. Buy BOTH!

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: DaemonGPF]
      #5968037 - 07/12/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

Wait, I heard you struck oil. Buy BOTH!

Banjo Ring... Come and listen to a story bout a man named Jim .......

Hermie
sage

Reged: 04/20/05

Loc: Cloudy HKG
      #5968066 - 07/12/13 08:28 PM

Buy both....and a new vehicle!

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Hermie]
      #5968269 - 07/12/13 11:01 PM

I could not help, perusing this thread, thinking of women I have seen in shoe stores trying on this and that and the other and spending two hours making up their minds . . . of course Jim does have a pink AT72 . . .

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3889

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics