Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5969300 - 07/13/13 04:56 PM

Yes in price and weight. No in size. The 9.25 is just 2" shorter than the 11. The 8 is 5" shorter than the 9.25.

- Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: tomcody]
      #5969303 - 07/13/13 05:00 PM

Oh, I have a plan. I will sell off the C8, C5 and C6, and if the Mewlon if the scope I buy surpasses it.

I also have a slew of refractors to sell off, but that's another story.

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5969760 - 07/13/13 10:59 PM

Okay, I just finished a "mock pack" of the vehicle. The CGE's Pelican 1650 case and ginormous tripod is a big space consumer. That has me leaning toward taking the Atlas rather than the CGE.

Were I to get one of the 9.25" OTAs, the question is this: will two 11# counterweights successfully counterbalance the 22# C9.25 OTA plus a 2" diagonal plus a largish eyepiece (35mm Panoptic, 31mm Nagler Type 5) on the Atlas?

The Atlas takes up only half the space that my CGE takes up in the vehicle, so if I go that route, the extra volume of a larger C9.25 OTA and case won't be a problem. If my two counterweights are sufficient, I'd be good to go.

Whacha think?

- Jim

Dunkstar

Reged: 03/26/12

Loc: Under the sky
      #5969824 - 07/14/13 12:17 AM

Well within the load capacity of the Atlas. It'll happily take a C11, diagonal, 2# eyepiece and still balance with the bundled 2x 11# counterweights...heading toward the end of the shaft, but balanced is balanced. 9.25 should be no sweat.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Dunkstar]
      #5969859 - 07/14/13 12:54 AM

Thanks. Also I see Orion has a neat little bundle for the Atlas. You get the larger spreader with more eyepiece slots, a counterweight carrier that can hold three 11# counterweights, one spare 11# counterweight and a beefier replacement counterweight bar, for $199. I've always disliked the "rocking" of the retractable counterweight bar, want the larger eyepiece tray/spreader, would use the carrier, and with the third counterweight, be able to easily counterbalance loads up to the mount's payload capacity.

Still, I would never put a C11 on an Atlas. I didn't even like the way the Atlas carried my TEC 140. I could probably get used to a 9.25" SCT on an Atlas, but that would be my stability limit. I really like a dead-solid, no vibration experience when focusing setup.

Now that I'm getting comfortable with 9.25", the only question that remains is to Edge or not to Edge?

- Jim

Dunkstar

Reged: 03/26/12

Loc: Under the sky
      #5969909 - 07/14/13 02:13 AM

The upgraded counterweight bar looks nice with the third counterweight you should be able to balance higher up the bar, if that's your preference.

The C11 is comfortably within the capability of the mount, the 9.25 would be a breeze on that, shorter too than the TEC though the weight is mostly at one end

Edge or not? Buy both and review them If you like Nagler/Ethos class, just get the Edge.

Edited by Dunkstar (07/14/13 02:15 AM)

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #5969985 - 07/14/13 05:09 AM

Jim,

I have read many of your posts that you crave views through the edge optics, so why not get the edge C9.25 while the OTA is on sale? If it lives up to the hype, then maybe you could also sell the Mewlon 210 along with a few other cats you now own. Good luck..

Bill

Benjamin B
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Sweden
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5970163 - 07/14/13 10:34 AM

Jim, I sure that you have sad it before, but whay do you want to have a celestron sct over a mewlon? Arent the mewlon a good scope?

McUH

Reged: 05/29/13

#5970171 - 07/14/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

the only question that remains is to Edge or not to Edge?

You said you can easily afford both, then just get the Edge. If you get standard C9, you will always doubt whether Edge would not do it better.

C9 standard has only few advantages - price (irrelevant for you), it is slightly lighter, and since it has no corrector (less glass surfaces) it might possibly deliver very slightly brighter images and maybe very slightly sharper on axis.
Edge, on the other hand, will be much better off axis, it is also better design mechanically - you have the vents that let it cool-down faster. You have mirror locks (relevant only if you plan also AP). You have big rear opening (same as C11 and C14, I think standard C9 has smaller one).
If price is really no issue, just get the Edge.

Benjamin B
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/21/04

Loc: Sweden
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: McUH]
      #5970408 - 07/14/13 01:42 PM

The bigger rear opening, what gain will that give?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: McUH]
      #5970428 - 07/14/13 01:55 PM

On the other hand, if I get the Edge I'll always be wondering if I got suckered on the value front (I.e., did I give Celestron an $800 gift, succumbing to marketing hype surrounding two pieces of eyepiece glass stuffed into a baffle), and then in two years when standard SCTs are no more, and the 9.25 Edge HDs are priced at $1300 I'll have the privilege of kicking myself all over again on the value question. Coins always have two sides.

Note also that having resources and wanting value are not mutually exclusive. Some of the cheapest people I know are bloody filthy loaded. For the Edge to be the smart choice between the two, it has to be *worth* $800 (any Ethos) more than the standard no matter how fat your wallet. Is it? Remember, I'm not an imager.

- Jim

Seiko4169
sage

Reged: 07/04/09

#5970433 - 07/14/13 01:58 PM

That's the real question Jim, is it indeed? Marketing is definitely in full swing with the Edge but the improvements are clearly there. The price increase justification for those changes though? For that I'm not so sure?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Benjamin B]
      #5970435 - 07/14/13 02:00 PM

I intend to find out. My Mewlon is a wonderful scope with chronic collimation and, perhaps, secondary centering issues. Frustrating as much as delighting. SCTs are relatively cheap and stone-simple in comparison.

Lastly, on this most "American" of trips in the old west sense, an American brand, even with a Chinese soul, seems fitting.

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: Seiko4169]
      #5970454 - 07/14/13 02:12 PM

It's a puzzler indeed. As you say, clearly the Edge variant has some valuable enhancements, including a flatter field, better thermal design (assuming the standard doesn't show up with vents; some have), and the C11 sized rear opening and big baffle, which are better for widest field low power eyepieces. But what are those enhancements really worth over the standard? I have the FF/FR, a 2" visual back adapter, and Lymax cooler already.

- Jim

Seiko4169
sage

Reged: 07/04/09

#5970457 - 07/14/13 02:13 PM

Ha ha - can I just say Jim you are a terrible influence on these forums! You and your purchases cost us all a small fortune as you tempt us to follow suit!

Clear skies

crow
sage

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: BC, Canada
      #5970501 - 07/14/13 02:37 PM

Playing devils advocate, I'm not sure the edge is the scope for you. This is from someone with a Tec140 on order, so I have no particular skin in the game. But with a couple of jam jar bottoms in the baffle and a predicted near forty percent price drop in a year or two you'll never be happy with it.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: crow]
      #5970519 - 07/14/13 02:47 PM

TEC 140. Hmm...I think I have one of those round here somewhere...

...oh, there it is!

- Jim

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5970570 - 07/14/13 03:34 PM

Jim, I'll be looking forward to your critique of which ever scope you end up buying...

Steve

gunfighter48
sage

Reged: 03/18/13

Loc: Mill Creek, Washington
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: stevew]
      #5970944 - 07/14/13 06:22 PM

I started in astronomy in 1976 and have been in and out of the hobby 3 times. But I've always kept in touch by reading the astro magazines and the internet forms. I am now back in the hobby for as long as I am physically able to pack around my equipment.

The one thing that has been constant all these years is the reputation of the C9.25. These have had a superb reputation by the owners for all these decades. I don't remember the last time I read a bad review about the C9.25 optics. I have been able view thru a few of them over the years and they were fantastic scopes. Because of back problems I've never been able to own one but sure wished I could!!

I don't think you would be sorry by purchasing the 9.25 Edge. Quit worrying about the price/value issue, you'll forget about that once you get to observe with the 9.25. And you're wasting observing time with indecision.

Edited by gunfighter48 (07/14/13 06:25 PM)

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: N of Tampa
Re: I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"... new [Re: gunfighter48]
      #5971017 - 07/14/13 07:07 PM

Its been interesting looking at these threads.....Ahw the search for the perfect scope.....lol..
I know as we all do how frustrating this can be...
I once bought a Meade 8" ACF and was exited about the optics,but sent it back to buy a AT8RC...great optics..

But missied the versatility of the CAT..options Flocal reducers reductions closed sealed tube...ect...Just think a cat is one of the most versetial scopes made..(IMHO)..
So I bought a standard C9.25 and fell in love.....BUT having used a flat field CAT 8"ACF....I longed for that VIEW..
So I wanted a C9.25 HD...(vents ,flat field,locks and great reviews...So went back and forth in the TRIGER BOX...
I ended Up with a new C11-HD..One of the reasons..is that if I bought That scope I could not get any appature fever
as it is the largest, lightest portable scope ....and easy to resell.....I just did not want that .........could of went bigger...I get older evey day and time is important...
Life is about the journey.....
So when I use my new C11-HD.....I have a good feeling that I did the right thing........Its the best potable scope I could ever want....(no more of those "can only be seen in 10" or larger comments in magazines for me)....LOL..

SATISFACTION is a KEY ISSUE in this process.....good luck
and we all wait for you'r First light review...
any of the C8,C9.25,C11 HD Edges scope will be a joy of using...and soo easy to resell..And remember that most good
dealers have at least a 30 Day satisfaction return so get
it (C11 or C9.25 Edge ) while on sale and return it
if your not nuts over it and get the other while you can.

PS...The others reading this thread will be looking for a "Slightly used Edge"" for a deal...lol
at most might cost shipping one way ($50)

Edited by mega256 (07/14/13 07:12 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3794

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics