Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
How bad is this corrector haze?
      #6073805 - 09/10/13 07:44 PM Attachment (230 downloads)

I was inspecting my C9.25's corrector plate this afternoon and I noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of haze on the underside of the corrector!

When I got my C9.25 two years ago, I did notice a smudge mark on the underside of the corrector, but as I was going to use the scope for planetary imagine/video work, I ignored it.

Now however there seems to be a layer of haze, concentrated on the upper half of the corrector plate that seems to be the same "type"/opacity as the smudge, but a little more rarified than the smudge. What is most interesting is that it seems to have a wavy pattern to it.

Here, take a look:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6073806 - 09/10/13 07:45 PM Attachment (125 downloads)

Here's a view from the other side. Do you see the wavy and criss-crossed pattern?

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

#6073809 - 09/10/13 07:46 PM Attachment (109 downloads)

Here's a view of the smudge.

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

#6073815 - 09/10/13 07:48 PM

Obviously my first question is, is this haze opaque enough to noticeably reduce contrast/brightness at my sea level viewing location?

The next question is....where the heck did it come from? It is inside the scope! The primary mirror seems just fine, nearly pristine.

My OTA is stored in my garage to keep it acclimated, but the cap is always on both over the corrector plate and the diagonal.

Living along the Texas Gulf Coast, I deal with a lot of dew in all seasons. I always use a heated dew shield for that reason. Still.....must something have condensed in the tube?

Have yall seen something like this before?

telescopeguy238

Reged: 04/13/08

#6073862 - 09/10/13 08:23 PM

Looked at a used C8 and passed because of the same thing. Seller called me back a month later and made a great offer. Took it home and cleaned the FRONT and it was good as new. Could have sworn it was on the back. Try that.

tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: telescopeguy238]
      #6073905 - 09/10/13 08:41 PM

its not uncommon for this haze inside celestron scopes. I've had two SCT's with the same issue. All you can do is pull the corrector and clean it. Celestron has never issued a statement defining the cause, but I guess it's some type of outgassing from paint or grease.

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: tonyt]
      #6074423 - 09/11/13 05:48 AM

Quote:

its not uncommon for this haze inside celestron scopes. I've had two SCT's with the same issue. All you can do is pull the corrector and clean it. Celestron has never issued a statement defining the cause, but I guess it's some type of outgassing from paint or grease.

Yup. :grrr: Though TBH the effects of the haze on the performance of the scope are a lot less than a casual inspection of the contaminated surfaces would indicate.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
      #6074490 - 09/11/13 07:10 AM

Apparently, it has to do with something inside the OTA out-gassing, and precipitating on the corrector. I bought a C6 a couple years ago that had a lot of haze on the inside surface of the corrector plate. Bummed me out, at first! However, it all came off quite easily using unscented, white Kleenex (brand name) tissues, and original formula Windex window cleaner. The corrector is now crystal clear, and the scope is a gem!

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: telescopeguy238]
      #6074541 - 09/11/13 08:11 AM

Yup, my Celestron SuperC8 had had the beginnings of some haze. Pulled out the corrector and cleaned, now she looks brand new. Bob

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: bob midiri]
      #6074590 - 09/11/13 08:50 AM

Thanks all.....I did some googling about cleaning a corrector and it looks like a fairly straightforward process: unscrew some screws, remove the retaining ring, and pull out the corrector, taking great care to mark the corrector's orientation to the tube, and clean like one would any piece of astronomical glass.

The only thing that gives me pause (other than I just got the scope collimated better than I ever have before) are reports on some scopes that the corrector is stuck and requires some use of solvents to get out.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #6074793 - 09/11/13 10:35 AM

I'm guessing this is the same kind of haze that builds up on the inside of older-car windscreens, from outgassing of the plastic materials in the dash.

If the C8 baffles are made of plastic, I'd say the baffles are the source of the outgas.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: hottr6]
      #6075880 - 09/11/13 09:10 PM

I had an "old" Meade LX-2 back in the mid 1980's that developed a strange hazing on the corrector....both sides. Cleaned it with the Arkansas Sky Observatory cleaning formula/method. Cleaned it right up! (This was before learning about Uncle Rod's Windex procedure!). The problem was that I stored the Meade sct in its case in the garage....and we do get a lot of damp weather here in Rhode Island.

frobi6852

Reged: 07/11/11

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: hottr6]
      #6075922 - 09/11/13 09:37 PM

I don't think that it is an out gassing from in the OTA, judging from image #2 there is a pattern to it, you would think Out gassing would create a fog on the glass much like your hot breath on a cold window, not to mention it appears to be on one side and there appears to be considerable amount of lint and a few cat or dog hairs in that same area stuck to the corrector. I would say that someone placed a wet towel on the corrector plate

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: RobertED]
      #6075929 - 09/11/13 09:41 PM

Ive' owned about 6 Celestrons, and only ever had a problem with one. A Celestar Deluxe model from the 90s.
Similar to your problem, a haze on the inside of the corrector. Pulled it, and cleaned it with Windex, and it was perfect after that.
I'm sure it was out gassing from something. The grease, the black paint? Who knows
At the time I stored the scope in my closet with a plastic bag over it to keep the dust off.
These days I use an old pillow case, as it will keep the dust away but wont seal in any moisture or gasses.

Steve

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: stevew]
      #6075939 - 09/11/13 09:50 PM

It!s out gassing from the paint and or the solvents contained in the grease on the baffle tube. It is not difficult to clean. You may also find upon close observation that you have this same build up on the mirror. With visual inspection it is harder to notice since you are looking at a surface and not through a glass plate. It to can be cleaned. I have a 7 year old C8, and have cleaned both with great results.

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: bcuddihee]
      #6076586 - 09/12/13 09:17 AM

Heh, and to think one of the reasons I was pleased at getting an SCT was, "I'll never have to clean the mirror."

So now I need to figure out just when I want to take apart a scope that isn't meant to be taken apart. There is always that nagging feeling of risk that even if I mark the corrector plate and whatnot, I won't get the scope back exactly the way it was and I'll be worse off than I am now.

I probably won't touch the the mirror, unless a build-up is obvious. Even a cursory look at the SCT's mirror shows that it is far more reflective (granted it is 2 years old) than my 22 year old 8" mirror.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#6076793 - 09/12/13 11:22 AM

Only in the astro marketplace are high priced, delicate products produced that need pulling apart and cleaning because of poor part placement in the first place.

You would have thought that SCT manufacturers would have sourced internal components be they paint, grease or plastic that does not outgas and ruin the whole point that the product was designed for.

You have to laugh...pathetic really.

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: HowardK]
      #6076828 - 09/12/13 11:49 AM

Quote:

Only in the astro marketplace are high priced, delicate products produced that need pulling apart and cleaning because of poor part placement in the first place.

You would have thought that SCT manufacturers would have sourced internal components be they paint, grease or plastic that does not outgas and ruin the whole point that the product was designed for.

You have to laugh...pathetic really.

You get what you pay for.

Celestron SCT tubes aren't cheap but neither are they premium priced. It's somewhat hard to find direct comparisons but comparing the price of a Celestron SCT with e.g. Officina Stellare astrographs in the same aperture range gives you a reasonable frame of reference.

Same thing as you don't expect the same quality from a $10,000 Ford as you do from a $250,000 Bentley.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6077296 - 09/12/13 03:42 PM

You really feel that the price vindicates internal parts screwing up the corrector and/or mirror?

You are easily pleased mate
Me am not....it's rubbish quality...after all these years of making SCT's they should have eliminated this ridiculous problm years ago.

Officina Stellare do not have correctors that have to be removed to remove outgassed haze *BLEEP*.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
      #6077913 - 09/12/13 10:46 PM

Quote:

You really feel that the price vindicates internal parts screwing up the corrector and/or mirror?

You are easily pleased mate
Me am not....it's rubbish quality...after all these years of making SCT's they should have eliminated this ridiculous problm years ago.

Officina Stellare do not have correctors that have to be removed to remove outgassed haze *BLEEP*.

I agree, this is a defect. They haven't rectified the issue because they feel they can get away with not doing it. That way of thinking doesn't work well in the internet age.

Edited by Wmacky (09/12/13 10:48 PM)

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Wmacky]
      #6078368 - 09/13/13 09:02 AM

Thanku.

Astronomers take a lot of nonsense from manufacturers...I have never seen anything like it.

Mounts that fail out of the box, scopes that outgas, firmware that needs updating immediately you purchase...only for the new firmware to screw up, handcontrollers that never work properly, etc.

Of course lots of products are fine...but quality control really is a problem.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #6078452 - 09/13/13 10:08 AM

Mike,

It's probably just outgassing from the paint. Not a huge deal, and cleaning an SCT is easy once you get over the trepidation of taking it apart. I've done the corrector on my 12" twice now... and the second time around was definitely 'meh, whatever'. The first time? Man, I was VERY nervous.

OPT sells a cleaning kit based on Dr. Clay's cleaning supplies. It works very well and it's super easy to do. The instructions are very helpful and it should fix any problems you have.

Hope that helps, good luck!

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Raginar]
      #6078484 - 09/13/13 10:28 AM

I have yet to clean the C8 OTA on my non-Fastar, Celestron Ultima-2000, and it is still sparkling clean! And, yes, I do use it.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6079348 - 09/13/13 08:14 PM

Hey don't forget how NASA had to send several repair missions to Hubble! Telescopes are demanding instruments.

Retsub

Reged: 12/08/06

Loc: Houston,Tx.
      #6079676 - 09/14/13 12:30 AM

>>reports on some scopes that the corrector is stuck and requires some use of solvents to get out.

<< Pay close attention to the tightness, or lack of, of the screws holding the retainer ring. Retighten 'em the same way. With the ring off make note of the gap all around the plate and put it back in with the same gap as before. Piece of tape at the edge of the plate to the cell then slit in the middle it to relocate again. IF the plate seems stuck give it a Bear Hug being careful and you might be able to deform the cell slightly for a nano second to get it loose. Don't laugh ! Most of all be ready for it to come loose at any time. *BW*

David D.

Reged: 01/05/09

Loc: New Orleans
      #6082989 - 09/15/13 11:03 PM

Fog sticks to dirt. There is clearly a pattern of something woven on the glass. It was set on a towel and possible out gassing contributed to the fogging. Just take your time when removing the corrector and watch for shims. They might fall out and you won't know where to put them back. It's not that difficult.

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: David D.]
      #6083178 - 09/16/13 02:06 AM

I took off my C11 corrector and thought the spacers were adhesive, they were not and most fell off when I pulled off the plate, but it didn't matter, just make sure there all evenly spaced, some that were double stacked would not fit again, that didn't matter either for some reason, all went back together and all is fine with the views, no off center secondary, no astigmatism, I even dropped the small screw driver onto the corrector and put a big streak across the glass...ooops! but it came right out when I polished it what a relief. but yes, make sure you don't over tighten the corrector retaining ring screws, that could crack the corrector, I just screwed mine in until they stopped, barely any pressure. I placed my collimation screws with two at the bottom inline with the dovetail and one on top in the center, everything works fine.

Edit: when I replaced the corrector I stood it up end over end with the focuser end on the chair on the opening up, then I placed the corrector on and added the spacers evenly around it.

Edited by T1R2 (09/16/13 02:18 AM)

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #6083179 - 09/16/13 02:08 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

Fyi this is my friend's Brand New (as in just the past month) Edge 14 corrector out of the box ... getting a replacement from Celestron though.

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: core]
      #6083185 - 09/16/13 02:21 AM

That looks like cleaning solution haze, like when you don't polish it after you apply it, had the same problem with mine.

core
Pooh-Bah

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: T1R2]
      #6083240 - 09/16/13 03:16 AM

It was on the inside of the corrector, he sent pics to celestron and to their credit they setup an immediate exchange - but still, to have this happen to their flagship product ...?!

Edited by core (09/16/13 09:45 AM)

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

#6083245 - 09/16/13 03:23 AM

Yep, that's where mine was also, but it came out and looks great now, I don't know if outgassing would be as easy to get off, anyone know if it would?

dobsoscope
sage

Reged: 05/24/06

#6083303 - 09/16/13 05:37 AM

In the C14 would you be able to insert your hand through the secondary hole, and somehow clean the inside *without* removing the corrector plate?

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #6083817 - 09/16/13 12:12 PM

Make sure to not spray the cleaner directly on the corrector but onto the Kleenex. If there are small scratches or the coating is worn, it can get under the coatings and make it worse.
Good luck, probably nothing to worry about, and the images wont be visually affected by much or at all.

shiner

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: England
      #6084147 - 09/16/13 03:19 PM

I would leave it alone. It will not affect the views one bit.

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: shiner]
      #6084220 - 09/16/13 03:58 PM

Its a lot easier to remove the corrector than the secondary to put your hand through, specially if you drop the tissue, you'll have to remove the corrector anyway and the secondary is what you need in place to lift off the corrector and to use to set on the table so your glass is not in contact with anything but air. Haze like that will look like the view of a star through high thin clouds, with halos around them, specially the bright ones, I'm picky and it would be commin off.

core
Pooh-Bah

#6130151 - 10/10/13 11:22 PM

fwiw, another chap here picked up a brand new CGEM DX 1100 HD, and won't you believe it - corrector haze again. This time around there's just a little of it in a 'hexagon' shape around the secondary, as if someone had wiped it with straight strokes, but missed cleaning it all out. Celestron's sending a replacement OTA, but come on guys, this QC issue is costing y'all!

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: shiner]
      #6130533 - 10/11/13 08:22 AM

I would disagree.

I had this haze develop on my EdgeHD 8" (reported it early this year) and I could tell the scope was not performing quite right.

I could see that stars seemed visibly soft to me with a bit of glow around them.

Exactly like when dew is forming.

Racking in and out of focus I could see the dimming of the interrior rings in star test.

Cleaned it and was back to perfect.

If it was a new scope and still under warranty though I would take one for the team and return it to Celestron (not the dealer) and get them to clean it or send a new one.

If a few dozen people were to do this and Celestron was dribbling away profit to deal with it, they would very quickly research the problem (OTAs being assembled before the paint is dry most likely) and resolve it.

orion61

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6130546 - 10/11/13 08:35 AM

I have seen this on Classic Orange tubes but it took decades to fog.
This bothers me, If it is getting on the inside of the corrector what about the correcting lenses inside the edge scopes?
You would think if it is getting on the inside of the corrector it would get on the inward facing baffle lenses as well.
Anybody looked at their Edge baffle lenses and see this yet?

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
      #6130602 - 10/11/13 09:13 AM

If the haze is from outgassing, I'd wager the grease on the baffle tube and perhaps the grease on focus mechanism are the culprits, and due to its surface area, the baffle tube is the main contributor.

If you want to you can clean the baffle tube and the mirror slider and then grease them using this: Vacuum Grease . A little bit goes a LONG way.

Joe Aguiar
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/10/07

Loc: none of your buss
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #6130641 - 10/11/13 09:41 AM

come to think about it my celestron c-8 which was the USA made optics and was the grey colour ota had this issue with the corrector and the mirror had a light blue haze on it was easy to take the corrector and cleaned both and put it back like new.
i dont think its a big deal to clean it but i guess if its brand new it shouldnt have this, seems to be a celestron problem?

Would leaving the optics outside and let the ota to cure longer b4 putting it all together help this issue i wonder?

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Joe Aguiar]
      #6130717 - 10/11/13 10:21 AM

Actually, the first thing to do when opening ine of these would be to smell it- whatever the hazing agent it's, it's likely in the air inside. Also, look carefully at the primary mirror (don't touch!) and see if there is haze there. If not, it is likely the corrector was hazed when installed and there is not outgassing as much a slow reaction of the cleaning agent and whatever shmutz was on the corrector.

-Rich

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6132087 - 10/11/13 10:04 PM

After 20-30 years they all have some haze. Cleans off easily. There must be some photo-chemical process involved it never seems to fog the primary or seconday.

Ava
sage

Reged: 11/30/11

Loc: Sweden
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Geo.]
      #6134475 - 10/13/13 08:23 AM

My 8" EdgeHD has the same issue. I discovered it after having it for 6 months. Before that I thought it was dew because I seldom saw it and it didn't seem to affect the views unless I really had dew. Because of the hassle and high expense of sending it anywhere (I live in Sweden, bought it from Germany and sending it to Celestron would be to the US...) and it didn't seem to be a major issue at the time, I decided against sending it back.

Unfortunately the problem is getting worse since dirt and dew seem to build on it, and it's now at the point where I will have to take the scope apart (well, remove the corrector plate) to clean it, less than 2 years after I bought it new. I'm not impressed by this lack of quality control on Celestrons part, as it seems to be a very common issue. Needless to say, I'm very nervous about removing something that seems constructed to never be removed (set with adhesive).

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Ava]
      #6134730 - 10/13/13 10:49 AM

Adhesive? Probably what's causing the fogging

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: orion61]
      #6134774 - 10/13/13 11:10 AM

Celestron somewhat recently switched grease from petroleum based grease to a synthetic called "Klubertemp" which is similar to Mobil 1 synthetic. Maybe this is the product of synthetic grease outgassing? If so, hopefully they've figured that out and are now actually testing new greases to find one that has the stability of synthetic without any outgassing.

- Jim

orion61

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6137108 - 10/14/13 01:57 PM

The non reflective Paint? or combination of things, whatever it is, it is worse than what they used to use at Celestron Pacific. It took 20 yrs for my other Celestron to fog up.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#6380183 - 02/16/14 10:21 PM

I've yet to have to clean the corrector on my Takahashi Mewlon...

- Jim

dobsoscope
sage

Reged: 05/24/06

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6380554 - 02/17/14 06:33 AM

To anybody who had this and cleaned to corrector - did the problem recur?

Also, I suppose the same haze has developed onto the primary mirror too.. has anyone cleaned this? (hand through the secondary hole)

AustinAstronomer
sage

Reged: 03/04/10

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: dobsoscope]
      #6380692 - 02/17/14 09:13 AM

To avoid haze caused by outgassing, it might help to avoid exposing one's OTA to heat.

Edited by AustinAstronomer (02/17/14 09:44 AM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6380795 - 02/17/14 10:08 AM

Quote:

Not just Celestron. It's also seen on Meades, and especially scopes from the LX5/LX6 era.

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: AustinAstronomer]
      #6381056 - 02/17/14 01:05 PM

Quote:

To avoid haze caused by outgassing, it might help to avoid exposing one's OTA to heat.

You may have hit on something here. I store my C9.25 in my garage. I live just south of Houston.

When moving some things around in the garage this weekend, I noticed peculiar things on some plasticesque-rubber things. A handle on an Oreck XL vacuum cleaner is now exceptionally sticky and has a sheen on it. Moreover, a plasticy/rubbery lens cover is now also sticky and has the same sheen.

These items aren't exposed to direct sunlight, just the ambient temperatures of the garage.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6381066 - 02/17/14 01:09 PM

Quote:

You may have hit on something here. I store my C9.25 in my garage. I live just south of Houston.

When moving some things around in the garage this weekend, I noticed peculiar things on some plasticesque-rubber things. A handle on an Oreck XL vacuum cleaner is now exceptionally sticky and has a sheen on it. Moreover, a plasticy/rubbery lens cover is now also sticky and has the same sheen.

These items aren't exposed to direct sunlight, just the ambient temperatures of the garage.

The worst cases I've seen have been those stored unused for long periods in un-air-conditioned garages and similar. The worst offenders I've seen over the years? The Meade 10-inch LX5s...and I am not sure why.

Xeroid

Reged: 09/21/13

Loc: USA
      #6382928 - 02/18/14 01:55 PM

Michael,
Just a thought...
If plastic based objects in your garage have become "sticky", that may be an indication of a chemical reaction with petroleum(oil) based vapors or auto exhaust??
Tom

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: Xeroid]
      #6383227 - 02/18/14 04:30 PM

Could be...but our cars aren't parked in the garage.

DocFinance
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/14/14

Loc: Clear Lake, Texas
      #6387361 - 02/20/14 06:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The ambient temps in my garage, just north of Dickinson just south of Houston, are waaaay too high or low for any optics. Heck, I'm hesitant to store mount parts out there b/c of the temps changes during the year (and the ever-present rust - I've had stainless pipe rust out there just standing in the corner). We're just too close to salt water here.

Edited by DocFinance (02/20/14 06:46 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: AustinAstronomer]
      #6387875 - 02/20/14 11:26 PM

That's awfully hard to do if you travel to dark sky sites in summer with your scope.

- Jim

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: DocFinance]
      #6388337 - 02/21/14 09:10 AM

Quote:

The ambient temps in my garage, just north of Dickinson just south of Houston, are waaaay too high or low for any optics. Heck, I'm hesitant to store mount parts out there b/c of the temps changes during the year (and the ever-present rust - I've had stainless pipe rust out there just standing in the corner). We're just too close to salt water here.

Oh yeah...the rust. Forgot about that, even though I know all of my drill bits out in the garage have a nice layer of rust on them. :/

It's a frustrating conundrum. If I don't have my stuff out in the garage ready to roll (literally, my iEQ45M is on rollers), my at-home observing dwindles dramatically and my weeknight observing evaporates entirely.

(BTW, I'm at Main Campus. Often wish I had your drive time!)

jhayes_tucson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/26/12

Loc: Bend, OR
Re: How bad is this corrector haze? new [Re: DocFinance]
      #6388824 - 02/21/14 01:54 PM

Quote:

… Heck, I'm hesitant to store mount parts out there b/c of the temps changes during the year (and the ever-present rust - I've had stainless pipe rust out there just standing in the corner). We're just too close to salt water here.

The first time I shipped some equipment to Taiwan and arrived a week later to find all of the black-oxide screws completely furry with rust, I switched to 100% stainless hardware. You might consider doing that on your telescope. Ace Hardware, Lowes, and others have a good selection of stainless screws. I don’t know what kind of “stainless” your pipe was made of but 8-18 (300 series) stainless fasteners won’t “rust.” This stuff is also commonly used for many aircraft applications where corrosion resistance is important. The one thing to keep in mind is that many types of non-hardened, stainless fasteners are softer than steel so you want to be a bit careful about loading. For most telescopes, that isn’t a problem; with one important exception. I don’t know what the current models are like, but my old Celestron C14 uses 4 x 8-24 screws (two of them threaded into a soft steel, 1/8” thick backing plate.) to mount the main dovetail. Mickey Mouse must have designed this thing! Number 8 screws are shockingly light duty screws for holding the weight of this telescope (about 50 lbs.) So, I’ve swapped out the front ones for 10-32 and installed structural AN-bolts all around. You don’t want to use small diameter stainless screws for this kind of load.

John

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2971

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics