Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/07/06

Loc: New York
Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: avdhoeven]
      #5618109 - 01/11/13 10:12 PM

Alph, Last year I had Dr. Frank Summers, Dr Summers is one of the team members form the Hubble image processing team.

Adam, for the last 6 years we have put together a program of 6 talks over the two days starting with this is an astro imaging camera on day one talk one and after 6 + hours of talks here is your completed simple processed image.

So whether your setup cost $1,500.00 OR $2,500,000,000.00 we have tried to help you with the processing with your images.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: Bob Moore]
      #5618122 - 01/11/13 10:23 PM

One of the things I try to make sure we impress on our speakers is that attendees are not interested to see what you can do with your images, they want to learn how an why you process an image the way you do.

It's a challenger every year to find the speakers that bring something new to the table and can impart that information to the attendees. That's why i come to you all, so you can tell me what you want to see and hear, so I can give you the best imaging conference.

Please keep it coming.

hytham
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/25/12

Loc: Canadian in the US
Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: Mike Wiles]
      #5618223 - 01/11/13 11:34 PM

Quote:

If you're trying to select speakers...I'd be more interested in the topics than in the presenter. What would get me interested? Some serious coverage of the PixInsight platform would get my attention. In terms of people: Juan Conejero, Manuel Jimenez, Vicent Peris, Carlos Milovic, Rogelio Bernal Andreo, Steve Leshin.

Juan Conejero is a walking encyclopedia of image processing knowledge and he communicates his knowledge extremely well - at least in a written format. His support posts over in the PixInsight forum are typically mini-lessons all by themself and do a good job of putting complex processing concepts into laymen's terms.

Show me a guy who's doing it on a blue collar budget with say....less than $10k of equipment.

In the same sort of vein....find me a speaker that can talk about setting up a remote site....without having to spend huge cash to do it. Show me how to put my $20k imaging rig somewhere dark and remote in a permanent arrangement that doesn't require me to break open the kids college funds to pay for it.

Mike nailed it for me as well. I'd fly out in a heartbeat if you can get any of the Spanish gentlemen to speak.

Rogelio is a definite inspiration of mine. His images are surreal.

vpcirc
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/09/09

Loc: Merced CA
Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: hytham]
      #5618562 - 01/12/13 07:59 AM

Sal gave a great presentation at AIC last year. He demonstrated how to take lower priced equipment and still do some amazing processing in light polluted skies. Now that he's becoming proficient in PixInsight, I'm sure he's learned how to apply that to his data. Sal probably represents close to 95% of the imagers out there. Most do not have $30k of equipment sitting at a dark site. They fight gradients, poor seeing, and mounts that don't track perfectly. I mention Sal because he's learned to work around all those roadblocks. Maybe break the sessions up based on skill level and equipment. If your a beginning or intermediate user, listening to Juan would be way over your head. On the other side if you've been imaging for 5 years you likely don't care about how to equalize backgrounds in photoshop. I know from personal experiance imaging from my back yard with a CGEM and now imaging at New Mexico Skies with a paramount, the quality of the data and the ease of processing is far different. My problem is do I throw out all the images where seeing was worse than 1.75?
One thing I don't see presented very often is automation. Software has changed so dramatically and has enabled most of the difficult tasks simple. You don't need a remote site to enjoy the benefits. Many beginners do not understand plate solving and the benefits associated with it. It's a lot easier to capture a lot of data and sleep at night for a small cost of $99

Mr_T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/06/08

Loc: NJ
Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: vpcirc]
      #5618681 - 01/12/13 09:37 AM

I think the speakers that i have heard and have stood out have been
Ken Crawford RJ Gabany Tom Davis.Would like to hear Adam Block
Have to agree good imagers don't always make good speakers Some have been very hard to understand with English not been there native language
How about some speakers on obs automation

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: Mr_T]
      #5618832 - 01/12/13 11:14 AM

Mr. T, We had Bob Denny do a talk on ACP lase year and this year I planing on a talk on CCD Auto Pilot 5. and just for the record, I talked to Adam Block back in Nov. he told me at that time he was going to be in the Far East in April.

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

#5618846 - 01/12/13 11:21 AM

Mike Miller, Sal? do you have a last name or contact info?

vpcirc
Post Laureate

#5618903 - 01/12/13 11:45 AM

See earlier post SGT500 is user name. Warren knows him very well. Lives in FL.

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

#5618957 - 01/12/13 12:17 PM

Thanks Mike i sent him an e-mail

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

#5618965 - 01/12/13 12:19 PM

Sedat, Thanks for e-mailing Jerry H. I just got off the phone with him. but i'm still not listening to you

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
      #5618988 - 01/12/13 12:32 PM

I know you are listening. Even our hearts are beating at the same pace

frasax
sage

Reged: 12/27/07

Loc: Cologne,Germany
Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5621442 - 01/13/13 06:56 PM

Hello

as a speaker for AIC i would like to suggest Mischa Schirmer. He is the Author of Theli, a professionel data reduction software for visible and infrared data. The software is widely in the german speaking scene.

Mischa works as an support astronomer for the Gemini South in Chile. He was asked to do a presentation at this years CEDIC in Linz, Austria but he couldnt make it. But maybe you guys could get him, even though a flight from Chile is sureley less expensive as a trip to Europe.

CS Frank

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: frasax]
      #5621671 - 01/13/13 09:00 PM

Thanks Frasax, the only issue is that Theli runs on Linux not many of us use Linux

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

#5621907 - 01/13/13 11:20 PM

So here is the list as it stands tonight:

Robert Gendler: Tricks and tips for Processing Hubble Data

Olivier Thizy: Small Scope Spectroscopy

Peter Lipschutz: Building 3D images from your 2D data

Jon Talbot: PixInsight, (take two)

Jerry Hubbell: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use
Professional Imaging Data

John Davis: Image processing: The Right Tool(s) for the Job

Josh Lake: Enhancing and Finishing Images with PixInsight

Jim Lafferty: Imaging Our Sun in Hydrogen Alpha

Ron DiIulio: Capturing the Cosmos the Hows and Whats of Astroimaging.

Joao S. O. Bueno: Gimp! The PhotoShop alternative ( still working on this one )

Salvatore Grasso: ( just started working on this one )

Yuri Beletski: (still working on this one)

Gianna Paglioli: ( looking in to this guy)

Mischa Schirmer: ( Looking at this guy ) He is the Author of Theli, a professionel data reduction software for visible and infrared data. Mischa works as an support astronomer for the Gemini South observatory in Chile.

And last Damian Peach ( still working on him ... should have an answer next week..

astrovienna
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/04/06

Loc: The NoVa White Zone
      #5622249 - 01/14/13 08:30 AM

Quote:

One thing I don't see presented very often is automation. Software has changed so dramatically and has enabled most of the difficult tasks simple. You don't need a remote site to enjoy the benefits. Many beginners do not understand plate solving and the benefits associated with it. It's a lot easier to capture a lot of data and sleep at night for a small cost of $99

I agree with this completely. Get someone to talk about automation programs for the rest of us - the guys who just want to set up in their backyards and get some sleep while capturing images. Programs like Sequence Generator have completely changed the game. $99 makes automation available to all of us.

Kevin

Nicola
Vendor: Skymonsters.net.

Reged: 05/23/06

Loc: Milan, Italy
Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: astrovienna]
      #5622277 - 01/14/13 08:47 AM

It is definitely easy to find good astrophotographer, but less to find good astrophotographers who are able to speak in front of public and even less to be able to speak good English in front of public.
Therefore you need to be very careful on who you choose. The message perceived in a conference is more important then astrophotographer's works.

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pole: Who are the best 5 deep sky imagers in the w new [Re: astrovienna]
      #5625896 - 01/16/13 10:05 AM

Kevin, can you give me more info, on the software your talking about i did a search on Sequence Generator and come up with a lot of random stuff.

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
      #5626013 - 01/16/13 11:11 AM

Hi Bob,

Here is the website.

I am also using this software and I can recommend it heartily.

Clear skies

Sedat.

vpcirc
Post Laureate

#5626458 - 01/16/13 04:00 PM

Quote:

Kevin, can you give me more info, on the software your talking about i did a search on Sequence Generator and come up with a lot of random stuff.

The 3 main programs available are CCD Commander written by Matt Thomas of SBig as a separate product, CCD AutoPilot by CCDware, and the easiest to use but highest cost, ACP by Bob Denny co creator of ASCOM. I gave a presentation of remote imaging at PATS last year wit Tim Puckett and the group was amazed at what was possible and how easy it all was. I sometimes wonder why guys will spend a huge amount on equipment, but balk at software cost. Next to a quality mount, automation software is the best investment I've ever made.

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
      #5626489 - 01/16/13 04:10 PM

I'm using CCD Commander. I have no experience with the others, but I did see an interesting real-time demo of ACP at AIC last Oct. For me the ability to shoot automated dusk/dawn sky flats is alone worth the $99 registration for CCDC.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, Scott in NC, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3776

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics