Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: elbee]
      #6034923 - 08/19/13 04:49 PM

Quote:

jose -- nice setup with the STF-8300 and SX filter wheel/OAG. do you use a rotator or do manual rotation at the beginning of your session to get the guide camera on a guide star? (what about after meridian flip)

thanks

Hi,

I manually rotate the camera, but I do it to proper frame my objects. I have 2 guide cameras a lodestar and a QHY5II-L, they are very sensitive, I have never be in the situation were there is no suitable guide star in the field of view with 1s exposures. After the flip, PHD will automatically pick a new star.

The QHY5II-1 is interchangeable with the lodestar, same backfocus, same threads, same barrel size, the lodestar has a slightly bigger CCD, but it looks without any hard proof that both cameras have the same sensitivity.

Cheers,

Jose

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gregk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,
Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: Phil Hosey]
      #6035324 - 08/19/13 08:26 PM

Try this Movie

alistairsam
journeyman

Reged: 10/03/10

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: tjugo]
      #6089180 - 09/18/13 11:40 PM

Quote:

Hi,

I have a STF8300, nice camera, the only weak link is the cooling, it 'only' cools down to -36C from ambient. I highly recommend the SX Filterwheel, I have the 7 filters 36mm and it is a perfect match, I also have the SX OAG.

The nice thing about the SX flterwheel and OAG is that you can get 56mm of back focus with almost any camera, actually you have to add some short spacers to get 56mm, so you can use the camera with 'any' corrector/flattener. Once you start guiding with OAG there is no way to go back to guide scope.

You can glue a small powered USB hub to the camera and you'll be able to run the show with 'only' with 3 long cables, camera power, hub power and hub data.

There is a new SX FW-OAG combo, very low profile and is everything in one piece.

Cheers,

Jose

Hi,

I'm getting the exact same setup, STF8300M, SX USB Filterwheel, but using the TS9-OAG and a lodestar.
can you tell me if the SX filter wheel fits onto the SBIG STF directly without any spacers or adaptors?
does the body not hit the two thumb screws on the filter wheel as in that youtube video where he had to change sides?
I'll be using a baader mpcc, so my distance would be
stf8300m - 17.5mm
SX wheel - 29mm
TS9OAG - 9mmm

total 55.5mm which should work with the mpcc.
I'm using it on a 10inch F4.

how heavy is the camera/ filterwheel with filters?

Thanks
Alistair

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: STF-8300m owners.. new [Re: alistairsam]
      #6090129 - 09/19/13 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi,

I have a STF8300, nice camera, the only weak link is the cooling, it 'only' cools down to -36C from ambient. I highly recommend the SX Filterwheel, I have the 7 filters 36mm and it is a perfect match, I also have the SX OAG.

The nice thing about the SX flterwheel and OAG is that you can get 56mm of back focus with almost any camera, actually you have to add some short spacers to get 56mm, so you can use the camera with 'any' corrector/flattener. Once you start guiding with OAG there is no way to go back to guide scope.

You can glue a small powered USB hub to the camera and you'll be able to run the show with 'only' with 3 long cables, camera power, hub power and hub data.

There is a new SX FW-OAG combo, very low profile and is everything in one piece.

Cheers,

Jose

Hi,

I'm getting the exact same setup, STF8300M, SX USB Filterwheel, but using the TS9-OAG and a lodestar.
can you tell me if the SX filter wheel fits onto the SBIG STF directly without any spacers or adaptors?
does the body not hit the two thumb screws on the filter wheel as in that youtube video where he had to change sides?
I'll be using a baader mpcc, so my distance would be
stf8300m - 17.5mm
SX wheel - 29mm
TS9OAG - 9mmm

total 55.5mm which should work with the mpcc.
I'm using it on a 10inch F4.

how heavy is the camera/ filterwheel with filters?

Thanks
Alistair

No spacers are needed to attach the camera, it works out of the box. I added some spacers in from the OAG to achieve the 58mm of backfocus needed for my setup. I have tested this setup with a lodestar and it works OK.

I don't know how heavy is the Camera+FW+Filters+OAG. 1kg?

Cheers,

Jose

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, droid, Scott in NC, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1024

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics