Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: Datapanic]
      #3807210 - 05/15/10 01:41 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Here's the final wiring job - I guess it's from working avionics that I can't stand sloppy wiring jobs! Coming out the bottom right is the umbilical cord that runs between the Dec box and the RA box under the RA housing, through a small hanger and around the other side. Even when the mount is swung in RA from one side to the other, it barely moves this way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3807233 - 05/15/10 01:56 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Then over and up to the other side, and in to the RA box. The RA motor control as well as the 3 lines for 120v AC in are all routed to the underside of the RA box. One line is for the RA and setting circle lights and the other two are for the Dec motor control. The 120v AC lines are bundled together in heat-shrink and plug in to my old home-built variable frequency dual axis drive controller. The controller works on all my scopes for the way their wired. I'm still looking for a way to use an Adel clamp or two to route the bundle neatly along the underside of the RA shaft.

EDIT: The bottom of the RA box shows a gap because it is not completely put together yet - need to pick up some v-head 6-32 bolts at the hardware store.

As you can see, the shiny on the pier cap flange could use some more polishing, especially when it's compared to the pro job on the legs. I may have to go back over some of these parts one more time!

Edited by Datapanic (05/15/10 02:21 PM)

reddog15
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/09/09

Loc: Wyoming
      #3807328 - 05/15/10 03:00 PM

Dan, a work of art

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: reddog15]
      #3809709 - 05/16/10 11:22 PM

Hi Everyone!

First, thank you so much for your enthusiasm, interest, praise, and all that good warm feeling stuff! It's really appreciated To me, this is a very exciting project and every day is something new about it. To you, I hope I'm providing the best detail I can! But remember, I'm just the guy restoring this scope! As I work on it, I always ask myself how would Maynard Clark feel about it if I did this or that. After all he designed and built it! This is one heck of a project that is almost finished, but not quite.

With all that in mind, I've decided to break it back down and take the rest of the polished aluminum parts that I did to the pro's at Don Jose's. The quality they put forth on the Cave legs is ten times better than my polishing, and I want uniform polishing for the entire scope - that's the only way the entire scope will look "wicked!". When I first dropped off those legs, in the back of the mind I had concern that the outcome would require the rest of the parts to be polished by Don Jose's as well to have a uniform appearance. So, that's where it's at and that's what's going to happen!

The tube is ready for paint (pearl white) and while all this is going on, things may go quiet for a week or two in this thread. Just a note to let you know what is going on.

reddog15
Carpal Tunnel

#3810108 - 05/17/10 08:38 AM

Cool deal Dan thanks for the heads up,oh boy she gonna be gleaming now

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3811888 - 05/18/10 12:53 AM

Well, the mount and stand are reduced to their simplest pieces. Tomorrow is a busy day, the dentist (torturing pizdukes), then a special AZ election, and finally, drop the box of parts to be polished at Don Jose Polishing. I think in the meantime, while I wait, the Hino 100mm will get a restore job. I do have a backlog, you know! Pictures in the AM of the Clark mount all in pieces in a box

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3814290 - 05/19/10 02:38 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

I took the box to the Polishers today and we spent a good half hour going over each of the 18 parts, detailing what was needed and marking faces to be polished. I should get them back sometime next week

reddog15
Carpal Tunnel

#3814762 - 05/19/10 10:29 AM

Sweet Dan this is going to be one beautiful scope

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3834414 - 05/28/10 08:09 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

Just in time for the weekend!

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3834422 - 05/28/10 08:17 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

It's difficult to get good pics of shiny stuff, Don Jose Polishing did a great job - 18 pieces in this batch! They were able to get most of the deep pits out of the column and everything came out with a super shiny finish - lots better than what I was able to do.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3834433 - 05/28/10 08:23 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

They were very careful not to over polish the indexes on the setting circles. The RA ring gear back housing (partially shown on the left) had some serious scratches before which are now mostly gone.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3834438 - 05/28/10 08:26 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Here's the column reflecting the parts and the inside of the garage. I think the main difference between Don Jose Polishing and my original polishing is that the pros made everything a uniform finish.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3834454 - 05/28/10 08:38 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

A closeup of the Column, really!

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3834467 - 05/28/10 08:46 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

It's over 100 degrees in the garage right now - too hot to start putting things back together and it's not even really hot yet! For the rest of the summer, my restore projects need to be done at night when things cool off a little. I've already had one little bull snake slither in to say hi the other night, threw him out in the draw, no scorpions yet, and there's a lizard that's taken residence up somewhere behind my workbench!

That's all for today, going to bed early tonight for the drive out to Riverside tomorrow. Have a great weekend!

starrancher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/09

Loc: Northern Arizona
      #3834613 - 05/28/10 10:31 PM

Awesome !

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: starrancher]
      #3834966 - 05/29/10 07:59 AM

That's going to be one impressive mount.

Rich (RLTYS)

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #3834997 - 05/29/10 08:32 AM

Cant Wait Dan!!! you making me want to polish somthin!!

reddog15
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #3835046 - 05/29/10 09:14 AM

Dan that will make any Harley owner jealous,that really looks great,they did a fantastic job, cant wait to see her put back together

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
      #3835057 - 05/29/10 09:22 AM

I think reflected starlight will kill your night-adaptation with that many polished surfaces in one place....

Seriously though, it looks awesome.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #3835095 - 05/29/10 09:58 AM

Quote:

Dan that will make any Harley owner jealous,that really looks great,they did a fantastic job, cant wait to see her put back together

Nah, the Harley guys can just put more lights on their bikes! I once saw a Harley with 18 taillights on it! No kidding, I counted them! When he hit the brakes, the engine quit! (actually, I am kidding about that part)

-Tim.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23803

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics