Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: Datapanic]
      #4119053 - 10/15/10 10:48 PM

>click!<
First, there was a sighting of this telescope in the October '77 issue of S&T - Mr. Clark's telescope not only won a Merit Award at the Riverside Telescope Makers Convention in 1980 for Excellent Craftsmanship, he also won first place at the National Amateur Astronomers convention for Newtonian Telescopes. Here you can see it in what looks like nice new paint and there actually is some sort of viewfinder mounted on the upper rotating ring:

Although this photo does not point out Mr. Clark's telescope, it was in the background and I was able to enhance and zoom in on the original...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #4119080 - 10/15/10 10:57 PM

Very cool!

How's it coming?

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#4119087 - 10/15/10 11:00 PM Attachment (67 downloads)

Also this week, two things got delivered! Shown here is the focuser mount base, and the new focuser adapter plate made by Bob Burns that allows 2-24 threaded focusers and filters and such to be installed on it and a 2" Crawford Machine Shop focuser made by Dan Crawford. Once the base is installed on the tube, I can easily swap out this heavy duty assembly with the original motorized 1.25" focuser.

Thanks Bob and Dan!!!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#4119094 - 10/15/10 11:02 PM Attachment (62 downloads)

Here's a closeup of Bob's work - exactly to the specs of the drawing I made

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#4119102 - 10/15/10 11:08 PM Attachment (59 downloads)

And here it is all put together including a 1.5" long 2" extender!

There's still some more to do before the entire scope is complete. Bob is making the replacement reinforcement ring for the secondary holder (it was cracked) and he's also making a new set of 3 leveling knob assemblies - the knobs and specially machined 1/2 diameter bolts that attach to the 'landing pads' shown in the picture above.

Things like this take a lot of patience, but I'm sure it's worth it in the end!

There's also one more cool surprise coming up!

sashaskywatch

Reged: 10/13/10

Loc: Florida/ Los Angeles
      #4119345 - 10/16/10 01:14 AM

Work of art! Wow... truly inspired

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: tim53]
      #4123005 - 10/17/10 09:23 PM

Quote:

Very cool!

How's it coming?

I guess I was slackin' a little bit, but this weekend, I finished finishing the tube. I was able to wet sand it to 1500 grit, then polish it with rubbing compound. After that, I wiped it down with acetone and then applied two coats of car wax. It's nice and shiny! I also polished up the focuser base and retainer ring. The fiberglass tube does have some spider cracks, but they are barely noticeable from about 5 feet away.

Before putting the parts back on the tube, I need to do the weight and balance sheet for future reference.

I'm also contemplating on what to do about a finder. I have some vintage Cave finder rings for a 50mm finder, but this scope never had one mounted on the tube. From the '77 photo, it's apparent he had something mounted on the top of the forward rotating ring. I guess I should just wait and see how well balanced the tube is without a finder first and then take it from there. If a finder is not used, I think the mount has enough precision that the setting circles could be used instead. Maybe that was Mr. Clark's intention?

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #4123454 - 10/18/10 01:57 AM

Quote:

It's coming together very fast! As soon as Bob finishes the remaining parts it will be no time at all to complete it.

Dan hurry up and get the tube in the thing!!! Geesesss! I am waiting on the photos!!! This is really somthing to see this scope being restored and you still have the only Caveman award for doing it,,,,, Bob takes a while but his work is perfect... somewhere between a piano maker and a machinist....

EricP
sage

Reged: 11/09/07

Loc: Sachse, Texas
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #4125650 - 10/18/10 10:44 PM

Dan,

Glad to see this thread light up again. In the picture you copied from the S&T DVD, it shows a finderscope mounted on the upper tube ring, as you pointed out. Why not do something similar? Also, do you think that could be Mr. Clark himself, in the foreground? That's almost how I pictured him.

Gallentine

Reged: 10/14/10

Loc: FL.
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: EricP]
      #4125702 - 10/18/10 11:08 PM

This is too cool!!

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #4125841 - 10/19/10 12:11 AM

This is an extremely interesting post. I am looking forward to seeing the final refurbished product.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: EricP]
      #4402659 - 02/21/11 09:59 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

Quote:

Dan,

Glad to see this thread light up again. In the picture you copied from the S&T DVD, it shows a finderscope mounted on the upper tube ring, as you pointed out. Why not do something similar? Also, do you think that could be Mr. Clark himself, in the foreground? That's almost how I pictured him.

I thought I had replied to this, but apparently not!

The man in the forefront is Howard Thomas with his (at the time) 30 year old very portable Solar Telescope. He also won an award at this convention for Special Instruments. The OTA unfolds, as shown in the photo and mounts on the tripod to his left. The total setup time is about 2 minutes.

For the people standing around the Maynard Clark scope, I sure can't tell who is who, but I think I can get some more info soon. I need to follow up with the person I got this scope from who is the daughter of friends of Mr. & Mrs. Clark. Mrs. Clark moved back to California to her daughter's after Mr. Clark passed away and she and her mom have not been able to find her.

Regarding the finder, there were no mounting brackets for it so one would have to be designed and made. From the photo, that would not be too hard to do and it looks like it's a 50mm or 60mm.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #4402709 - 02/21/11 10:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's coming together very fast! As soon as Bob finishes the remaining parts it will be no time at all to complete it.

Dan hurry up and get the tube in the thing!!! Geesesss! I am waiting on the photos!!! This is really somthing to see this scope being restored and you still have the only Caveman award for doing it,,,,, Bob takes a while but his work is perfect... somewhere between a piano maker and a machinist....

I hear ya, Clint! I didn't expect this restore to take that long, but when I came across the broken spider retainer ring, it changed things... Bob did a super job on the 2" focuser base and I know that when he finishes up the rest of the parts (spider retainer ring, new leveler knobs and screws), this thing is going to go back together real quick.

The fiberglass tube has been smoothed and polished, I'll get some pictures of it on here real soon.

There's also a secret thing regarding the mirror box - the old beat up moldy box is being replaced with something really cool!

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
      #4521216 - 04/15/11 10:22 PM

Any news????

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #4521351 - 04/16/11 12:11 AM

Quote:

Any news????

I know this project is dragging out, but I think Maynard Clark probably spent more time making this scope than I have restoring it! Nothing new to report. I can't wait to try it out, the mechanics of the mount are awesome and I bet the mirror, which has yet to have first light since who knows when the last person looked through it was, will be something else!

Hamsterdam

Reged: 03/23/11

Loc: smack dab in the middle of the...
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: tim53]
      #4523200 - 04/16/11 10:43 PM

Tim, I have to agree 99.999999999%...theres always a entropic constant somewhere, but that looks EXACTLY like the early Schaefer. Comparing all photos, it looks all Schaefer, not a Cave stand even, the early pic on the Schaefer matches the stand, the mount, even the bands and bars on the tube exteriror. If this isn't a Schaefer, it is one heck of a great counterfeit or copy....The one thing that leads me to believe this is the real deal is the quality welds and construction, its built like a brick water closet, and that MIRROR! That mirror, considering its approximate age is beyond sublime, it is exquisite. As a rule age doesn't always make for worse glass. Just as Zeiss of today doesn't hold the same superior place amongst lens makers for me, the original and old school Zeiss Ikon lenses are beyond quality, imho.

I am sure more care was taken on the optics back then in many ways, when a true craftsman made these mirrors, grinding them by hand, polishing with jeweler's rouge. Of course in today's world they have been improved in many ways due to automation, there is consistency, and the coatings have improved as years have gone by.

This is truly exciting to me. just to follow this unfolding story. I really am anticipating more discovery on this, but Im almost sure that Tim has solved the mystery, and man, what a find! Good on ya, mate!

jmpolitte

Reged: 04/03/11

Loc: Conway, AR
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: Hamsterdam]
      #4523290 - 04/16/11 11:29 PM

Wow, I just finished reading this thread. Amazing find and exemplary work - your dedication is to be commended!

I'm looking forward to seeing this finished.

Jason

neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: jmpolitte]
      #5594085 - 12/29/12 10:25 AM

Just wondering if there are any new updates about this scope? Has it seen first light yet?

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: neotesla]
      #5594172 - 12/29/12 11:06 AM

Quote:

Just wondering if there are any new updates about this scope? Has it seen first light yet?

Still waiting on the replacement secondary holder reinforcement ring to be made, and one of the inner rotating rings is at that shop as a reference to get the diameter right so it fits on the tube just right. So, I can't put the tube on the mount. It shouldn't be too much longer.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6018484 - 08/11/13 02:13 AM

<--- Fumbles for light switch... Click!

So here's what's happening with the Maynard Clark scope!

First, Bob Burns has started machining the reinforcement ring for the secondary holder! It shouldn't be too much longer before this thing gets put back together again and sees first light. The ring is not an easy part to make - it is about 9" in diameter and not very wide or thick. It's purpose is to provide extra strength to the spider mounts that would otherwise not be as good with just mounting it to the fiberglass tube. Plus, it prevents stress on the tube that would cause those spider web cracks in the fiberglass.

Another person has made a new carry box for the mirror and I expect to see that pretty soon as well.

In the meantime, I have continued to do some research on the scope and here's some interesting things I've found.

Back in 1980, our own CN member Robert Provin and Brad Wallis did a review of the RTMC 1980 show and wrote up the most info I've seen about this scope so far in the "Star and Sky" periodical for September, 1980:

"This 8-inch f/8 Newtonian, built by Maynard Clark of Sedona, Ariz., won a Merit Award for excellent craftsmanship. The telescope features interchangeable focuser plates for various activities (photography and viewing, as well as electronic focusing for use with groups), a reinforced fiberglass tube, and illuminated setting circles. The entire assembly packs into the observing steps that accompany the unit into the field. (Photo by Provin & Wallis)"

"The conference always attracts telescopes of outstanding craftsmanship and innovative design. For example, the machine work on the 8-inch f/8 Newtonian by Maynard Clark of Sedona, Ariz., can only be described as superb. His German equatorial was built with strength at all the right places; however, our attention was drawn to the scope's focusing arrangement, which features a standard or electronically focused 1 1/4-inch eyepiece, accommodation for an off-axis guiding system, and a special wide-field eyepiece attachment. The focuser is designed so that the various attachments can be interchanged with a simple twist of a knurled ring at the base of the focusing head. Elegant!"

This was kind of an aha! moment for me on the focuser plates - Mr. Clark probably made more than one depending on what he wanted to use the scope for. At this point, I only have the original motorized focuser plate and the newer 2" Back plate that Bob made. I think I'll have one more made to facilitate a low height focuser for AP use.

The off-axis guiding system is another mystery, but maybe Robert's picture will shed some light.

But just as interesting, Mr. Clark apparently made some kind of box or boxes for the mount that converted to steps to use when observing - that is kinda cool.

Robert's article in Star and Sky has a picture of the scope with those boxes, I presume, so I'm trying to get that picture. Robert is looking in his old pics - but it's understandable that it might be hard to find since that was 33 years ago! On the other hand, the University of Michigan has that issue, and I've ordered a copy of it, however in order for them to copy it, they need permission from the copyright owner! I introduced them to Robert, who gave them permission to give me a copy. The UofM already charged my credit card for the service, but so far, nothing in the mail! The University of California Library System also has this issue, but I don't have a "CAL-1" card to access it.

If anyone actually has a copy of the September, 1980 issue of Star and Sky or can help me get it, that would be awesome!

Finally, I've made arrangements to take the mirror in for bench tests at Composite Mirrors using their Wavefront Technologies (or whatever it's called) system. From all the people I've talked with about this scope who have also looked through it, the consensus is that it gives exceptional views.

So anyway, I know this project has been going on forever and it drives me nuts waiting sometimes, but it's almost there!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24279

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics