Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: Datapanic]
      #3591800 - 01/29/10 03:15 PM

Hm...

If the scope were built in the mid 60's, I doubt it's a Schaefer. He would have been using patterns well before that time.

What makes me curious, though, is the way the primary is stored in a box separate from the rest of the scope when not in use, the use of the Cave pier and legs (and even the eyepiece holder on the pier), the way the mount attaches to the pier via a machined flange rather than screws through the pier into the pier cap, and the focuser (though it's bigger than the Schaefers, it's base is machined - does it rotate?).

I was going to suggest the finder may have been attached to the rotating rings, but I see you've already suspected such.

It'll be interesting to hear what you learn when you contact the original owner!

-Tim.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #3591803 - 01/29/10 03:17 PM

Why would someone who was a commercial telescope builder use a refractor/cassegrain rack and pinion focuser? Looks like a lot more work involved to mount it but then I'm just a refractor freak. Mike

reddog15
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/09/09

Loc: Wyoming
      #3591807 - 01/29/10 03:17 PM

well it definitely looks like one of Bills

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: reddog15]
      #3591851 - 01/29/10 03:39 PM Attachment (111 downloads)

Here's a pic of the focuser hole, a ring attaches it to the base and the focuser can be rotated if the ring is loosened up a little.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3591862 - 01/29/10 03:44 PM Attachment (99 downloads)

The spider and secondary holder. The secondary looks like it's a 2.1".

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3591872 - 01/29/10 03:48 PM Attachment (97 downloads)

Here is how the mirror cell attaches to the tube. The mirror and floats are not mounted in the cell.

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #3592078 - 01/29/10 05:22 PM

Hey Dan,,,, My Guess is what you found is a master piece ATM telescope WOW!!! This scope could be unbelievable wonderful,,,,, You just won the Caveman award!! This is a hybrid with a bunch of really well made parts WOW. I don’t recognize any elements but the legs on the pier, the rest are either from the more obscure makers like Scopetronics or home built by a guy like Bob Burns.... Really cool find. My second favorite this year so far!!!! Congratulations and Kudos to you I hope you have the resources to put her where she belongs..... The mirror has the color and look of a Cave mirror, Maybe Beck or Alika made it on the side for a guy named Clark Man look at the iluminated maginfiers on the setting circles Man thats cool,,,,, Darn aircraft mechanics!!!!

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #3592108 - 01/29/10 05:52 PM

Woot! I got a Caveman award!!!

I kinda feel like I've seen this scope before, maybe in an old Sky & Telescope Gleanings for ATM's article. The focuser looks familiar somehow. I hope somebody here can recognize it.

Not that I'm obsessed with knobs, but every single knob from the legs to mount to the tube and focuser match. I count 23 of them - there should be 25 but the levels are missing two.

I can rebuild it

The mirror has beveled edges on the top and bottom as well as the fine ground underside that sure does make it look like a Cave mirror, less any side markings.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3592114 - 01/29/10 05:54 PM Attachment (152 downloads)

Here is the Before Picture...

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #3592167 - 01/29/10 06:32 PM

I *LIKE* it!

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
      #3592176 - 01/29/10 06:41 PM

That's one fine scope. I agree with Clint, ATM from an Aircraft machine shop man. Too big for a "lunch box special" though.

Perfect example of someone just not satisfied with what money can buy.

Robert

reddog15
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/09/09

Loc: Wyoming
Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: actionhac]
      #3592234 - 01/29/10 07:16 PM

Dang Dan you got the Cave man swinging his club Real nice dude, real nice

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3592339 - 01/29/10 08:25 PM Attachment (77 downloads)

Quote:

That's one fine scope. I agree with Clint, ATM from an Aircraft machine shop man. Too big for a "lunch box special" though.

Perfect example of someone just not satisfied with what money can buy.

Robert

It may be, I found aircraft spec fasteners that hold the spacer bars on the rotating rings.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#3592418 - 01/29/10 09:23 PM

When I first saw your post I did a quick search and found Schaefer, I have a link in my post "Schaefer Telescopes" I had never seen such workmanship.

Yours does have a close resemblance but yours lacks castings, except for the focuser, possibly the cell, the saddle and the rotating rings.

I still wonder if it could be a 1970's Schaefer. By this time they were using CNC machines like today. This actually is more economical than the old casting process.

Overall I think it's just to good to be a commercial scope, unless a very low production custom.

Robert

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3592441 - 01/29/10 09:47 PM Attachment (103 downloads)

I looked at the Schaefer Telescopes link as well and although it could be one, I don't think it is unless it was a special build. The base of the Schaefer mounts where the RA shaft attaches to the head of the mount is welded and has a strength member on either side while the head on this one seems to be bolted on from underneath and there is no strength member. The mount is definitely sturdy!

Edit to add: I just wonder what the heck was on that label!

Edited by Datapanic (01/29/10 09:52 PM)

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#3592448 - 01/29/10 09:51 PM Attachment (84 downloads)

Even the ring that mounts the focuser to its base and the ring that goes over the mirror have the crosshatch cuts in them just like the knobs.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #3592475 - 01/29/10 10:20 PM

Here's a wild guess....Is the plate inside the mirror box behind the felt? Mike

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A Mystery Scope! new [Re: mikey cee]
      #3592518 - 01/29/10 10:55 PM

Mike, I looked all over and so far the only thing is "Clark" written on the back of the mirror. The mount and tube were in the back of an old Ford pickup for I don't know how long with a bunch of other stuff covered with a tarp and under a carport, so maybe it and the two missing leveling knobs are still there. I asked the seller to please take a look, maybe it's still there. Not knowing who made it or anything about it really drives me nuts and I will do my best to get all the history I can about it.

From the short time I talked with the seller, the picture I get is that the person who made/owned this telescope passed away, and the seller is a friend of the widow and helped to sell the telescope since it was not being used anymore. The seller also indicated that a friend of the person who made/owned this scope might be upset if it were sold. I reassured the seller that this telescope will be brought back to its original condition and that it will be chronicled here, of course

Edited by Datapanic (01/29/10 10:57 PM)

actionhac
Post Laureate

#3592650 - 01/30/10 12:37 AM

One thing you could try is see if Morvac Optical Coating is still in around and have them check the records for Clark.

Also remove the secondary mirror to see if anything on the back of it.

Robert

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A Mystery Scope! [Re: actionhac]
      #3593697 - 01/30/10 03:20 PM

It looks like Morvac Optical Coating is not in business anymore. I'll take a look at the secondary but if anything, it will say "Clark" on it The fasteners on the secondary housing are rusted and I want to be careful taking it apart.

I already finished taking the mount apart. Interesting notes with photo goodness later today! Does Arizona have Black Widows?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23821

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics