Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Wes James
Postmaster

Reged: 04/12/06

A very sad loss...
      #4085432 - 10/01/10 10:33 AM

Folks-
Just received word this morning that Mel Dawson- known on here as dawsonian2000, and keeper of the Vega Sky Center website- lost his wife and soul-mate of 30 years this past week due to complications (pulmonary embolism) following knee replacement surgery. This hits close to home for me as first of all, Mel is a wonderful gentleman and a gracious frequent contributor here, and 2nd, I just went through this same surgery this past December. Furthermore, he just went through recovery from a stroke this past year. This is just too much.
Please keep Mel in your thoughts and prayers at this most difficult time for him.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: Wes James]
      #4085442 - 10/01/10 10:42 AM

It is much to bear, and Mel is one of the good guys, so please pray for him, or keep a good thought for him in his time of loss and grief.
My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

Doug

chupacabra

Reged: 03/26/07

Loc: Land O'Lakes, FL
      #4085613 - 10/01/10 12:01 PM

I called Mel yesterday with no knowledge of what had happened. That short phone call immediately snapped my "struggles" into proper perspective. He is understandably devastated right now.

I don't know Mel as well as I would like to, but I have a lot of respect for him and always appreciate our conversations. It's tough knowing there's nothing you can do to ease the pain, but I'll certainly be praying for him and his family.

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Reged: 04/24/05

Loc: Eureka, Pa
      #4085674 - 10/01/10 12:30 PM

Very sad news indeed...

Paula and I will also be praying for him and his family during this difficult time.

w orchid
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/23/07

Loc: Tampa, Fl
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: Preston Smith]
      #4085755 - 10/01/10 01:11 PM

Mel, I am praying for you and your family. God bless.

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #4085928 - 10/01/10 02:47 PM

You are in our thoughts Mel, The loves of our lives are always right beside us through all things.
Your Friends
Clint & Debbie Whitman

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: w orchid]
      #4085951 - 10/01/10 02:59 PM

I've known Mel since since we were teens and I consider him as my brother .This is a great loss to me and my wife as well because we have always loved them both . We have spent many of our vacations visiting with them at their place in Riverview ,FL . Mel and Gelinda did things the right way ;raised their sons, bought a home and shared a love that was indeed special;30 years strong .They were always togather whether going though good times and bad times, to the store or going on vacations.His life centered around her and family .
I was shocked and saddened when Mel called me with the news; Gelinda was transferred to a rehab center from the hospital and was expected to undergo therapy to heal from the surgery.
It is with a heavy heart that I will make the trip down to support my brother in his hour of bereavement ,and as I told him on yesterday I will always be there for him as he would be for me if I was in a similar situation.
Mel , as we spoke on yesterday , I am praying for you and may God protect and keep you strong.Love you man ,and I 'll be seeing you shortly .Contact me when you see this post .Your friend and brother,Gary (G)

albert1
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #4086036 - 10/01/10 03:38 PM

Very sad indeed. Mel just went through a difficult experience with the stroke and now to loose his wife is just too painful to imagine. It's clear Mel knows and loves God. May God give him the peace and strength during this difficult time.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: Doug76]
      #4086163 - 10/01/10 04:40 PM

Quote:

It is much to bear, and Mel is one of the good guys, so please pray for him, or keep a good thought for him in his time of loss and grief. My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

I just said a prayer for Mel.

obiwan1203

Reged: 04/27/10

Loc: Tampa, Florida
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: GeneT]
      #4086295 - 10/01/10 05:43 PM

A very sad loss indeed. Mel is a friend and played a very big role in getting me into astronomy. My thoughts are with him.

Kevin D.

akman1955
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: obiwan1203]
      #4086482 - 10/01/10 07:13 PM

Mel, my thoughts and prayers are with you. john

Vesper818
Astronomess

Reged: 11/21/05

Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: akman1955]
      #4086522 - 10/01/10 07:31 PM

God be with you, Mel, and know that we are praying for your comfort and company in the rough time ahead. Lean on Him Who is closer than a brother
blessings
Carol

Richard Scott
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/25/06

Loc: Tampa FL
      #4090192 - 10/03/10 05:11 PM

Mel…
My deepest condolences on your family’s loss.
I have enjoyed sharing the night sky with you under the eternal stars
It offers me some comfort to think your wife is now among those stars now
You and your family are in my prayers
Richard

Happy-Idiot
Stuck with it

Reged: 04/06/06

Loc: 3rd Rock
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: Richard Scott]
      #4096995 - 10/06/10 03:54 PM

Mel has brought me so much happiness through his posts, he oozes with compliments, he is a true Gentleman. I am so very very sorry to hear of his loss, and i will be sure to pray for him.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/26/06

Loc: Riverview, FL, USA
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: Happy-Idiot]
      #4122496 - 10/17/10 05:20 PM

Dear Friends,

As I go through the healing process after the difficult challenges I have had to face in the past year, I must Thank You all for the awesome support that each of you have given me to push through this touch period in my life. Without you support, prayers and well wishes, I do not know where I would be. Thanks so much...

Soon I will be returning to the CN group by assisting my good friend Gary Barabino by constructing a cradle ring assembly from oak. Until then, may God Bless You All for being there all of the time for me. I'll will be back soon...

My Sincerest Thanks and Appreciation,

Mel

akman1955
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #4122559 - 10/17/10 05:42 PM

Mel..hang in there..i will hope and pray you overcome this tragedy. my condolence my friend.remember the good times as they are forever.. john

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: akman1955]
      #4124268 - 10/18/10 12:36 PM

Mel ; Im so sorry to hear this, I know what your going through having just lost my wife in June this year. I will keep you in my prayers.

CAVEMASTER
sage

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Southern Indiana
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: droid]
      #4124304 - 10/18/10 12:54 PM

There are no words that I know that can take away your pain or hurt. She is with The Lord now, Amen.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

#5727069 - 03/11/13 10:56 PM

To Wes and everyone,

It has been nearly three years ago that my life turned to shambles after having a stroke and loosing my dear wife Gelinda. I just wanted to report to everyone that I have been truly blessed because of your heartfelt prayers and well wishes. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Though the road continues to be tough after loosing someone so special in my life as Gelinda, I have been hanging on to the vast amount of great memories I have. Without them, and most of all my faith, along with your support, I do not know where I would be today.

I guess some of you may be wondering what I have been doing since that difficult time. Well, my health is good; especially after going "cold turkey" off of the cigs right after having the stroke. Smoke-free for nearly three years and counting! I am truly blessed.

On the ATM front of late, I am in the process of completing the 6" f/10 Jaegers GJD refractor, which (as many of you already know) I am building in my wife's honor (check out the home page on my website for details). I only hope that it will perform as good as it is going to look when I am done. Once the 6" GJD refractor is done, I will be constructing a pillow block equatorial mount that will utilize a Byers 9" Star Master clock drive. The 6" f/10 along with other scopes in my collection will ride this mount.

Once again, Thanks be to you all for being there for me during that tumultuous period in my life. Please know that your prayers and blessings have helped me tremendously, and I am eternally grateful. May you all be blessed immensely in return. ...and if there is anything within my power I can do to help any one of you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely Yours, and God Bless...

Mel Dawson

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5727179 - 03/11/13 11:59 PM

You're a good man, Mel.

-Tim

Happy-Idiot
Stuck with it

Reged: 04/06/06

Loc: 3rd Rock
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: tim53]
      #5727505 - 03/12/13 06:14 AM

I am glad to hear you are keeping in good health because you are one of my favorite members here. Not only because of your incredible threads on ATM but your polite responses to others is an priceless example for us all. Keep posting Mel!

albert1
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: Happy-Idiot]
      #5727525 - 03/12/13 06:27 AM

Same here Mel.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: albert1]
      #5727546 - 03/12/13 07:02 AM

Mel; good to hear from you, June of this year will be three years since my wife passed away, so know sorta how your doing.
As for classic scopes or ATMing, Im sorta at a stand still, lol.
My home made observing chair of nearly 15 years, failed on me Sunday night and lets just say, Im walking very slowly now, lol.It was thrown together from scrap boards, and was alwasy sorta iffy.
Recently got a 11te , but the poor mount isnt nearly enough for this scope.So Im considering oprions for this scope.
Im also looking for a 1.25 focuser for it, but do not want to drill holes, as Id like to retain the ability to put it back into classic scope form if needed.

Ok any ways, take care and be well.

rguasto
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Long Island, NY
      #5727560 - 03/12/13 07:23 AM

Our deepest sympathies.
-The Guasto family

dgreyson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: rguasto]
      #5727672 - 03/12/13 09:01 AM

sorry to hear of your troubles, glad your doing better.

Napersky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/10

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: dgreyson]
      #5727989 - 03/12/13 12:00 PM

Sorry to hear about this Mel, what a shock.
One wonders how such things happen.

Mark

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: Napersky]
      #5728344 - 03/12/13 03:02 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss, Mel; you'll figure prominently in my thoughts and prayers.

Fred

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
      #5728438 - 03/12/13 03:50 PM

My thoughts and prayers go out to Mel and family!! God Bless!!

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: RobertED]
      #5728511 - 03/12/13 04:23 PM

What Tim said.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: herrointment]
      #5728811 - 03/12/13 07:00 PM

Mel I guess I've never responded because I just wouldn't know what to say. But I've been following along. All I can say is you're a hell of a stronger man than I would or could ever be!! Mike

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5729079 - 03/12/13 09:38 PM

Best of luck Mel, thinking about you...

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: sgorton99]
      #5729250 - 03/12/13 10:47 PM

I will continue to pray for you,as I've done before my brother. May God continue to strengthen your resolve, May He lift all your burdens, so that you continue to grow stronger in His will. Take Care, your brother Gary Barabino Sr.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #5735151 - 03/15/13 10:29 PM

Thanks everyone for the heartfelt well wishes and condolences. Believe me when I say that it is support like this that keeps me strong.

Sincerely, Mel

Unknownastron
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Sout...
      #5735321 - 03/15/13 11:50 PM

I wish there were some things I could say which would ease the pain but I know there honestly aren't. Just know you have many people here you have inspired and taught with you ATM skill. Your whole family live on in at least some small part in the many works you have completed and shared. Kudos to you on honoring your wife with your telescope. Take care.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: droid]
      #5735353 - 03/16/13 12:11 AM

Hey Andy,

My heart goes out to you, my friend. You definitely know where I am, and I you. Let's use the strength given to us by our friends to stay strong.

Mel

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: Unknownastron]
      #5735427 - 03/16/13 01:30 AM

Quote:

I wish there were some things I could say which would ease the pain but I know there honestly aren't. Just know you have many people here you have inspired and taught with you ATM skill. Your whole family live on in at least some small part in the many works you have completed and shared. Kudos to you on honoring your wife with your telescope. Take care.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for those kind and moving words. To know that I have helped and inspired others in this great hobby and pastime truly gives me great satisfaction. Additionally, paying homage, respect and honor in perpetuating the legacy and memory of my love ones through the building of my scopes is extremely fulfilling and comforting.

Thanks again,

Mel

clintwhitman
Caveman

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #5735618 - 03/16/13 07:47 AM

Mel,
To know of your loss, makes us all more introspective toward the joys of life, you know counting the joys, past & current. Some joys are forever and the ones we have with our other half are at the top of this list.
I took my wife Debbie to her Prom in 1984. I was her first boy friend. She is the other half of me... One day there will be a separation, As with all things in this life. But I know beyond any doubt that we knew each other and were together before, and we will be again...
The 6" Refractor is really coming along and I can tell it is going to be a testament to the quality Lady it is named for.
Your Friend
Clint Whitman

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Re: A very sad loss... new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #5741569 - 03/18/13 07:51 PM

Hi Clint,

I truly appreciate yours and everyone's kind words support and strength. Rest assured I doing well and moving on with my day-to-day endeavors. Building the telescope in honor of Gelinda has truly been the catalyst for getting me back in the swing of things. It won't be long before it is done.

I met Gelinda back in 1976 right after graduating from high school. Ironically, we both attended the same high school and knew about each other, but never had met. Debbie and you have a very special relationship. A match made in Heaven; as it goes. The same applied to Gelinda and I. My prayers go out to you and Debbie in hopes that you will both love and cherish each other for many, many years to come.

Thanks, Mel

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3132

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics