Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Inspecting a C8 Prior to Purchase new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5051205 - 02/02/12 08:32 AM Attachment (68 downloads)

Did I mention a C8?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5051207 - 02/02/12 08:34 AM Attachment (56 downloads)

Maybe not a bad purchase for a Romantic Classicist whose astronomic aspirations outclass his budget...

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5051210 - 02/02/12 08:35 AM Attachment (56 downloads)

and who prefers grab-and-go to schlep and heft...

Edited by Joe Cepleur (02/02/12 08:35 AM)

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5051211 - 02/02/12 08:36 AM Attachment (45 downloads)

Eyepiece case available separately.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5051212 - 02/02/12 08:37 AM Attachment (43 downloads)

Volcano tops! Kelners, okay; of historic interest...

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5051217 - 02/02/12 08:38 AM Attachment (43 downloads)

An Ortho and a Brandon! Hhmmm; tasty...

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5051219 - 02/02/12 08:40 AM Attachment (45 downloads)

Further evidence of home-building of the Newt: an ocular made from likely a Kelner (?) from an old binocular.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5051221 - 02/02/12 08:41 AM Attachment (41 downloads)

And another view:

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5051235 - 02/02/12 08:49 AM

Okay! Now that I've posted my first images to Cloudy Nights, I really owe it to you all to post images of the classics already in my collection (or, "crowding my house," as the case may be). I don't suppose anyone would care to see the Fecker Celestar 6 hiding at my club?!

So, anyway; whaddaya all think of the C8 and the 12.5" Newt? The C8 could be come my workhorse. Er... could the C8 become my workhorse? The vote seems to be "yes," so long as it proved to be in reasonably good condition beyond the pretty pictures.

Can't imagine what I would do with the big Newt until I had a place of my own to house it. All the worse given the hassle of testing it and storing it... or, are you die-hard scope rescuers saying a mirror that size could be refigured, and the mount looks promising, so...

Yeah, I know. If I learned to refigure the mirror myself, which I would love to do in another, more settled life, there is no end to what one might see in a big, equatorial Newt. Could even upgrade the focuser!

By the way, it's not as though I'm short on projects. My interest in the C8 is partly historic, and partly to corral a workhorse for everyday use now, as I have said. But, already on the table after the kind efforts of my club's optician and machinist is the 4" refractor mentioned in my signature, a legacy from our club's late founder. It's at a prototype stage where it needs to be used and studied to determine how to finish the objective. So, in deference to the favor already done to me, and with the desire to see that scope completed, I already need to learn to grind glass, let alone start another big project.

I hear ya thinkin'... when I have my own observatory someday... 12.5 inches...

Edited by Joe Cepleur (02/02/12 08:55 AM)

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5051799 - 02/02/12 02:11 PM

Do you have a garage where you can store the Newt on industrial casters? That way, you could roll it out onto the driveway fully assembled. I do this with my scopes, and it reduces setup time to a few minutes at most! And when I used to keep my 12.5" Cass in my garage, I had a spot on the driveway where I could set it up and be accurately polar aligned right from the start. We have tenants in the apartment over the garage now, though, and I don't like waking them up opening my noisy garage doors!

I seem to recognize the mount, but I can't place it. It might be a limited production commercial mount, or a well-executed homebuilt. Restored, that Newt could be worth a K or two. Helical focusers are nice, particularly for accurate visual focusing. That might be a commercial unit, though I don't recognize it.

If the primary's coatings are bad, OWL still has a 50% off deal on recoating services. I've got three 8" mirrors due back today from him. He coated my 10" f/6 a couple years ago and did a nice job. Unless the primary was a bad one, it shouldn't need refiguring. You could probably clean it and try it out on the stars and verify its quality before sending it off for a recoat (versus refiguring).

I hear you regarding not profiting off these old classics. I prefer selling things at prices comparable to what I paid for them. Or, if I've put a lot of work into them, a reasonable compensation for the work I've done, or the value of the completed scope, whichever is less. I feel best when I don't profit off my friends.

-Tim.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Inspecting a C8 Prior to Purchase new [Re: tim53]
      #5051932 - 02/02/12 03:23 PM

I like the idea of rolling a scope out of a garage or shed almost better than building an observatory. Rather than being contained within walls, one is truly outside under the stars. Where I am living now, I need an easily portable scope, or binoculars --maybe a vintage C8-- something for running around the yard dodging the trees, or to be taken easily to another site.

I had no idea that that hulk of a Newt might be worth a grand or two when restored. Might be worth storing for quite a while until it had a home. A scope like that could easily be the last scope a visual astronomer could ever need. Twelve-and-a-half inches of equatorially mounted Newt is serious by any measure. Kind of a joke for a guy who is pinching pennies just now (one reason for a *vintage* C8!), but looking forward, that Newt could be the centerpiece of a fabulous visual observatory someday. Are you saying that, at the price it is offered, the bones are there, and the optics could be fixed if necessary, so I need not worry whether it is a dog in its current condition?

tim53
Postmaster

#5052010 - 02/02/12 04:12 PM

Yep, that's what I'm saying!

wfj
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/10/08

Loc: California, Santa Cruz County
Re: Inspecting a C8 Prior to Purchase [Re: tim53]
      #5052051 - 02/02/12 04:35 PM

A very reasonable deal. If you can make it work, suggest you do, because you're likely not to get much better.

C8 is a nice scope all around. The 12.5 has double the area, and can make quite a difference in what you can enjoy.

You can also make a dob base, or acquire one from other sources, if you find the mount a bear. What I did to eval a legacy scope like this, was to incline the scope on the railings of a deck on Polaris, and did a star test.

I found my motivations for any scope sale changed considerably with a good star test. This was confirmed when my skeptical son went "Whoa!" at spotting a galaxy off M13 when I got it home and setup on another mount - it was a similar scope.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Inspecting a C8 Prior to Purchase [Re: wfj]
      #5055165 - 02/04/12 01:34 PM

This story is not yet finished, but is progressing nicely. Tomorrow, I expect to see the C8 in person and buy it.

Even better, like a good binary star, my angst over the absurdity of my buying the 12.5" Newt is resolving. In our club is a man who is studying to become a professional astronomer. Last fall, he was looking to buy a big mirror to build a scope for his observatory under dark skies. Looks like he'll buy the big Newt. I'm embarrassed to admit I did not think of him myself; I wish I'd suggested it to him. He has all the skills to fix it perfectly, better than new (and better than me!), and I'll be able to drop by his place to observe with it!

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Inspecting a C8 Prior to Purchase [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5055621 - 02/04/12 06:57 PM

Update: I just spoke with the seller, who got in touch with the man who sold her the scopes some years ago. Lady Cepleur and I shall be meeting her tomorrow.

The 12.5" Newtonian is an old Parks. My friend will buy it, and put the cell and mirror into a new truss tube atop the Atlas mount in his observatory.

The C8 will cost me $250 complete with the tube, mount, tripod, trunk, eyepieces, and original bill of sale from 1976. The motor does not work. Anyone know how I would fix it, or where I could send it for repair?

Edited by Joe Cepleur (02/04/12 08:52 PM)

tim53
Postmaster

#5055636 - 02/04/12 07:11 PM

I don't remember parks ever making a mount like that. It looks too nice to be parks

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
      #5055643 - 02/04/12 07:14 PM

It looks like an Astrola mount for the Newt. I would just defork the C8 and put it on a nice alt-az mount. Problems solved.

/Ira

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Inspecting a C8 Prior to Purchase [Re: Ira]
      #5055654 - 02/04/12 07:22 PM

Not an astrola either. Parks bought the cave patterns, so their mounts look a lot like the old caves. This mount is either a limited production mount for astrophotography, or a well executed design by an amateur machinist.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5055659 - 02/04/12 07:25 PM

Update: I just spoke with the seller, who got in touch with the man who sold her the scopes some years ago. Lady Cepleur and I shall be meeting her tomorrow.

The 12.5" Newtonian is an old Parks. My friend will buy it, and put the cell and mirror into a new truss tube atop the Atlas mount in his observatory.

The C8 will cost me $250 complete with the tube, mount, tripod, trunk, eyepieces, and the original bill of sale from 1976. The motor does not work. Anyone know how I would fix it, or where I could send it for repair?

tim53
Postmaster

#5055660 - 02/04/12 07:25 PM

There are no nice altaz mounts!

If you deform the c8, make sure to loose. The bolts holding one of the fork arms to the base, or you'll scratch the tube.

-Tim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9417

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics