Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Restoring a C8 After Purchase -- Update new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5531974 - 11/21/12 11:00 AM

At this stage, after long and nervous delay, I am finally confident of the safety of Margarita's corrector plate as she voyages to the high priest. If I could travel back in time, I would have no trouble handing either ark or arkette to Joe Namath to use as the football in the closing minutes of The Heidi Game.

The high priest may post images of his own to this thread. If not, I hope to report back in about a month. Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

Edited by Joe Cepleur (11/21/12 11:09 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed Holland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
      #5532008 - 11/21/12 11:18 AM

I wish Margaritta well on her magical voyage, and trust that she will return to you with powers anew to gaze into the past.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Restoring a C8 After Purchase -- Update new [Re: Ed Holland]
      #5537195 - 11/24/12 12:49 PM

I got the screws in but not the scope yet, I will be posting pix as I remove the components. This is going to be my biggest challenge to date, The frozen motors a particular challenge but I will try to keep her as origonal as possible.
She will be getting a new set of optics, at least for now!
the origonals will be getting recoated,(I Believe)..
.....More to come....

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland
Re: Restoring a C8 After Purchase -- Update new [Re: orion61]
      #5537218 - 11/24/12 01:07 PM

Looking forward to following the restoration, hope all goes well.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Restoring a C8 After Purchase -- Update new [Re: Masvingo]
      #5546332 - 11/29/12 09:55 PM

Larry received the envelope nearly a week ago, a few days after I mailed it, and the box with eyepieces yesterday. No sign yet of the scope itself, nor can I track it. So much for paying for a tracking number. The post office says I'll only be sent a receipt via SnailMail after Larry receives it.

The eyepieces that look like junk likely are, but we may save one or two. The steel barrels are corroded onto the white metal castings, and many of the coatings are shot. This was as I suspected, but, hey -- send 'em to the master for an appraisal!

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5553048 - 12/03/12 10:55 PM

Larry received the scope today. The outer box was trashed and the inner trunk had a new, nasty gouge, but the scope inside was unharmed! His partner in crime had taken his drill to work --can you imagine the nerve!-- so he was unable to start dissecting the frozen corrector.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5553245 - 12/04/12 02:00 AM

Thanks for the update, Joe. Glad to hear Margarita arrived safely, even if her carriage was a bit roughed up! Looking forward to seeing lots of pics of her rebirth.

James

Ed Holland
Carpal Tunnel

#5554025 - 12/04/12 01:44 PM

Wow. The first leg of an epic journey. I await further installments of this tale of adventure

orion61

#5554047 - 12/04/12 01:53 PM

Got the scope in yesterday, there was a chunk out of the box about the size of a brick! Thankfully it was packed well,
First thing is to drill out the corrector retaining screws, 2 months of soaking in PB Blaster didn't help any.
more to come....

orion61

#5564142 - 12/10/12 01:04 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

I got the corrector off and it wasn't as bad as I thought there was some Oxidation on it, I used some very fine polish and it took most of everything Windex wouldn't. I have 1 Corrector ring screw thet I need to get out but I had to order a new Tap..

orion61

#5564147 - 12/10/12 01:05 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

All windex would take off

orion61

#5564156 - 12/10/12 01:09 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

corrector off

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5567254 - 12/12/12 10:02 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

Larry will post occasionally himself, but he wants to focus on repairing, so I'll be the Webmaster. He'll email me progress reports, and I'll edit and post 'em. Sorry for the delay in Webmastering -- my eMail took a vacation over the weekend, with some of the messages just now reappearing. So, that puts this update out of order with Larry's prior post, but interesting, I hope, nevertheless.

Here's Larry's report on his epic battle with the screws holding the retaining ring. Because this was a salt-encrusted C8, corrosion between the steel screws and aluminum ring had frozen the threads hard:

"I got the retaining ring screws drilled out today, it was a tough slow process, the bit size I had to use are easy to break. The Celestron screws are surprisingly hard. On the other hand, the ring is soft. I dinged the holes in the ring a bit, no way around it. The 2 spots should mostly cover up, but if you want it to look perfect I can try to find another ring. Up to you. The other ring I have is plastic. I am going to try and soak them a bit more then try to use a small pair of vise grips I have."

We'll be keeping the scarred metal ring as a badge of honor, as well as a better alternative to some plastic replacement. Amazing those screws are so hard. Must be a way to keep such tiny shafts from snapping. Here's a photograph of the ring, showing the scars. Personally, I'm impressed, given my first-hand knowledge of how tightly they were corroded in place. Remember, it was my inability even to remove the retaining ring that made me seek professional help in the first place. No way did I want my first attempt at drilling out screws to be so near to thin glass!

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5567273 - 12/12/12 10:20 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

Everyone loves action photos, so here's one of the retaining ring caught in the act of being pulled. Dig that salt under the retaining ring! Must have been hard as epoxy:

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5567700 - 12/12/12 02:21 PM

Quote:

No way did I want my first attempt at drilling out screws to be so near to thin glass!

Yes, not something I would fancy doing. Well done Larry

Glad to hear you're keeping the metal ring and not going for plastic. The battle scars give personality.

James

Ed Holland
Carpal Tunnel

#5568211 - 12/12/12 08:10 PM

Great pictures. The "salt" you see may also be aluminium oxide corrosion. I've seen similar encrustation on alloy bicycle frames, after riding on salt treated roads in the UK. The good news is that in this situation, it will be removed quite easily and shouldn't upset anything anyway.

As for the retaining ring, some suitably sized washers, in black oxide finish, might be a good choice if you wish to hide the marks.

And lastly, well done to Larry for his skill and perseverence in removing the screws - a ticklish job indeed

Ed

orion61

#5568287 - 12/12/12 09:10 PM

Thanks Ed there should be more pix tomorrow, one of the motors were totally packed with rust, Unbelievable after 2 hrs work it runs better than the clean one??!!?

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#5568331 - 12/12/12 09:38 PM

Quote:

The "salt" you see may also be aluminium oxide corrosion. I've seen similar encrustation on alloy bicycle frames, after riding on salt treated roads in the UK. The good news is that in this situation, it will be removed quite easily and shouldn't upset anything anyway.

Sodium Chloride begets Aluminum Oxide via a bimetallic chemical reaction? That would explain the mess of frozen threads! Interesting to hear it's a known reaction. Glad to hear it will prove ultimately harmless.

Quote:

As for the retaining ring, some suitably sized washers, in black oxide finish, might be a good choice if you wish to hide the marks.

Excellent idea, thanks! Let's do it, Larry. I'm all for battle scars, but never against making things look neat.

Philips heads to secure the corrector... Hhmmm. Might it be better to buy Allen heads? With Phillips, the screwdriver can slip easily, possibly damaging the corrector. I'm not worried about your assembly, Larry, but my own work someday, when I remove the corrector to remove whatever might have fallen inside the tube.

Quote:

And lastly, well done to Larry for his skill and perseverance in removing the screws - a ticklish job indeed

I sent the scope to Larry after a few fellow members suggested he might fix it. It was not a terribly studied decision, but more the feeling that if some others had been happy with his work and I was never going to fix the scope myself, no harm done. Having seen the pictures and read the stories that he sent me today, I have the feeling I've stumbled across a real master. This pleases me to no end, since I really do care about the scope, and want to see it restored beautifully.

Sorry to be too tired to post more now. Bedtime for Bonzo, but I promise this thread will be well worth following. You'll be as amazed at Larry's pictures and stories as I am.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5569085 - 12/13/12 11:37 AM

Larry's a good guy, and very knowledgeable about these puppies. I think you made a good decision, and it's always heart-warming to see one of these saved. I know they're plentiful, but every year they're getting less so!

-Tim.

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
Re: Restoring a C8 After Purchase -- Update new [Re: tim53]
      #5569276 - 12/13/12 01:23 PM

With the corrector off, this is good time to Foucualt test the primary. It should be spherical or close to it. What is critical is that the figure is smooth. If not your wasting your money getting it recoated without refiguring it.

- Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9785

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics