Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Restoring my 8" f/6 Springfield new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #5995162 - 07/28/13 05:15 PM

It's solid:

I still need to get some nice brass screws to attach the end rings more neatly to the wooden tube, and drill and tap holes to secure the Jaegers focuser. The focuser is a bit rough, too. Not sure if it's adjustable, though.

Since I ended up painting the fence today, I only have a few hours to work on the Springfield, so I might just leave the guidescope and finders at home and sight along the tube corners to find things next weekend. I'll see what I can accomplish this evening, though.

It'll definitely be a "before" experience, though!

-Tim.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim53
Postmaster

Re: Restoring my 8" f/6 Springfield new [Re: tim53]
      #6016803 - 08/09/13 11:20 PM

At the Julian starfest tonight. The weather is to DIE for!!

Tim

tim53
Postmaster

#6017733 - 08/10/13 02:41 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Here I am, set up.

tim53
Postmaster

#6017740 - 08/10/13 02:45 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Too. I borrowed the chair, since I managed to forget to put the one I used at pinos back in the van.

tim53
Postmaster

#6040659 - 08/22/13 07:04 PM

Okay, so help me remember...

In the early 80s at RTMC, there was a guy there who was trying to sell a small newtonian - like a 3", that had a fixed eyepiece. I took one of his flyers home with me, but I haven't seen it in years so don't know whether I might have lost it.

It was interesting in that the OTA doubled as the polar axis, with the primary at the bottom, with a couple flats near the eyepiece feeding light to it. The first was outside the OTA and could be rotated in Dec. The second was on-axis and had a hole in it for the light cone to go through, and the eyepiece was at the north end of the OTA. It was very nice and compact, and sat on a table top, IIRC.

Anybody remember this scope?

-Tim.

Jeff Phinney

Reged: 02/20/13

Loc: CA
      #6040751 - 08/22/13 08:35 PM

Closest thing I remember to what you describe is the Porter telescope that showed up at the '74 RTMC. Last I saw of that it's now in the Hartness House museum, but obviously that's not what this guy had.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
      #6041657 - 08/23/13 11:02 AM

Quote:

In the early 80s at RTMC, there was a guy there who was trying to sell a small newtonian - like a 3", that had a fixed eyepiece. I took one of his flyers home with me, but I haven't seen it in years so don't know whether I might have lost it.

It was interesting in that the OTA doubled as the polar axis, with the primary at the bottom, with a couple flats near the eyepiece feeding light to it. The first was outside the OTA and could be rotated in Dec. The second was on-axis and had a hole in it for the light cone to go through, and the eyepiece was at the north end of the OTA. It was very nice and compact, and sat on a table top, IIRC.

Anybody remember this scope?

-Tim.

Are you thinking of the Fundyscope? That OTA was horizontal though. You're describing kind of a funky Fundy-Gerrish hybrid.

tim53
Postmaster

#6041974 - 08/23/13 02:28 PM

Don't know if I've seen a Fundyscope. This is more like porters design with a big diagonal flat with a hole, but that wasn't fixed eyepiece. So the one I remember must have had two flats.

Tim

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

#6042024 - 08/23/13 03:00 PM

The Fundyscope was published in S&T in the early '90's, about ten years after your RTMC sighting. I'm thinking '91, '92 maybe, I was just looking at it a few weeks ago. But I recall it as having a horizontal OTA. A tilting flat on a polar axis reflected horizontally to a standard Newtonian primary, which reflected it back through a hole in the flat, to a stationary eyepiece. Didn't look too practical to me, a regular Newt of similar size on a GEM seems much easier to setup and deal with, and a stationary, perfectly horizontal eyepiece has to be at exactly the right height to not be a pain in the neck.

tim53
Postmaster

#6042062 - 08/23/13 03:26 PM

These days, of course, if one wants to image only, its easy to put a camera at the prime focus of a large parabola and not worry about focusers, viewing positions, or even eyepieces.

But there are times when I just like to have a look, and the Springfield mount still keeps that a comfy experience.

Tim

tim53
Postmaster

#6042075 - 08/23/13 03:34 PM

Quote:

The Fundyscope was published in S&T in the early '90's, about ten years after your RTMC sighting. I'm thinking '91, '92 maybe, I was just looking at it a few weeks ago. But I recall it as having a horizontal OTA. A tilting flat on a polar axis reflected horizontally to a standard Newtonian primary, which reflected it back through a hole in the flat, to a stationary eyepiece. Didn't look too practical to me, a regular Newt of similar size on a GEM seems much easier to setup and deal with, and a stationary, perfectly horizontal eyepiece has to be at exactly the right height to not be a pain in the neck.

You know? That might have been it. Or something similar. Biggest drawback is that the flat would have to have a minor axis as big as the primary. But the tilting single flat would only have to pivot less than 45 degrees either side of the celestial equator. Since the ota would double as the polar axis, the scope could be pretty light and compact. That's what I remember about the one I saw.

I'll have to dig up my digital copies of s&t and look up the Fundyscope.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Restoring my 8" f/6 Springfield new [Re: Jeff Phinney]
      #6042139 - 08/23/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Closest thing I remember to what you describe is the Porter telescope that showed up at the '74 RTMC. Last I saw of that it's now in the Hartness House museum, but obviously that's not what this guy had.

You mean the Simpson (and Porter, allegedly) 12" Springfield? I donated that scope to Stellafane's Hartness House museum in 2007.

-tim.

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
      #6042162 - 08/23/13 04:25 PM

Tim,
I think Jeff is referring to the Porter Polar Cassegrain which is on the left side of your picture sitting on the yellow stand. Here is a link to a better picture of it http://chesmontastro.org/node/7356
- Dave

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Restoring my 8" f/6 Springfield new [Re: DAVIDG]
      #6042175 - 08/23/13 04:33 PM

Hi Dave:

Oh, OK! I had forgotten about that one. When I was there in '07, I never did get a look through the polar cassegrain on the back wall of the clubhouse. Wanted to, though.

Very cool.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#6042177 - 08/23/13 04:34 PM

Also, been meaning to ask you. Is the guy who was making Springfield castings still offering to? I wouldn't mind building one to Porter's original specs someday, just to say I did!

-Tim.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

#6042374 - 08/23/13 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll have to dig up my digital copies of s&t and look up the Fundyscope.

August 1992, page 212.

Jeff Phinney

#6042390 - 08/23/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

Hi Dave:

Oh, OK! I had forgotten about that one. When I was there in '07, I never did get a look through the polar cassegrain on the back wall of the clubhouse. Wanted to, though.

Very cool.

-Tim.

Yup, that's it!
As a 17 yr old kid, I got such a thrill looking through that scope knowing that it was one of many telescopes built by Porter. Didn't take much to get me excited back then, but I felt honored having had the opportunity to do so.

Not to stray off the subject, but about 12 years after that I salvaged/saved a large number wooden patterns that were being stored in the Caltech machine shop, many of them from the 4" sight survey scope that Porter had designed. I was told at the time that if no rescued them, they were in serious danger of being used in a bonfire at someones beach party. I have no idea if Porter actually had a hand in the fabrication of any of those patterns, but I wound up taking home as many of the patterns I could fit in the trunk and back seat of my '73 Datsun 510. From there they proceeded to sit around in my office for at least another 15 years, and forgive me if I'm not recalling his name correctly, I passed them on to John Briggs who I assume donated them to the Hartness House where it appears they are today. I was extremely pleased when I saw those photos of what I assume to be those very patterns.
Hal Petrie, who was Palomar Observatory's chief engineer at the time, was kind enough to make copies of the original design drawings that went along with the survey scope. If anyone feels ambitious, I still have those.
Also have a few patterns for the 8" F/1 Schmidt Porter designed, but nothing I believe to be useful.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Restoring my 8" f/6 Springfield new [Re: Jeff Phinney]
      #6042412 - 08/23/13 08:14 PM

This reminds me of a late friend of mine who I met when I went back to work for Meade in fall 1981 after I'd been laid off the MX Missile program. His name was Dale Chesnut. He was a retired optician, mostly made eyeglasses in his later years before coming to Meade to work as a machinist. They didn't really treat him well, IIRC. He was starting to have vision problems and wasn't fast enough. But the kindest man you'd ever meet.

He did the machine work on my Springfield when I rebuilt the mount in the mid 80s, using an old Logan 11" flat belt change gear lathe he had.

Anyway, he told me about working in the optical shop at Caltech in the 40s. He knew Porter's wife, who worked at the local post office. And he met Porter a couple times, but didn't get a chance to talk to him. One meeting he described was kind of funny. He was in the optical shop, and Porter came through to see the facilities. All the opticians looked on in horror as he walked into their clean room with a lit cigar.

I think I would have liked Porter. I sure like his innovative designs.

Does anybody know the fate of the Springfield from ATM II designed by Porter and built by Ferson in 1935? I can't believe there aren't any pics online of it.

-Tim.

Jeff Phinney

#6042496 - 08/23/13 09:16 PM

Dale Chestnut?!?!?!?! That name seems so very familiar to me, but I can't recall why.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

#6042538 - 08/23/13 09:39 PM

Quote:

The focuser is a bit rough, too. Not sure if it's adjustable, though.

I have one of those focusers. I parted-out a vintage 50mm Astro-Physics guidescope that used it. It's definitely a Jaegers; the objective cell was clearly also a Jaegers. The only adjustment I've found possible is pressing the focuser knobs tightly together before tightening the setscrews. Either Roland or the original owner also installed a pair of nylon setscrews for the drawtube.

The nice thing about it is that the knobs can easily be replaced with custom knobs made from something like brass or wood. Hint...hint...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4595

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics