Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: tim53]
      #5421978 - 09/15/12 08:21 AM

The one from two posts up is definitely my best tonight.

Seeing is getting worse and it's starting to breeze a bit.

I'll prolly pack it in shortly.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHASLX200
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/29/07

Loc: Tampa area Florida
      #5422097 - 09/15/12 10:11 AM

I woudl kill to have that mount. Wished i never sold mine.
My 2.5" had a threaded shaft, not sure why Cave used both kinds of shafts.

Chas

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #5422297 - 09/15/12 12:36 PM

Great Job Tim! Love seeing JUP!!

Bill Griffith
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/12/09

Loc: Ca.
      #5422360 - 09/15/12 01:27 PM

I'm certain I can confidently say from ALL...

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: Bill Griffith]
      #5422369 - 09/15/12 01:36 PM

Nice Images! For the Tangent Arm, take the motor off and check for binding. I had problems with it intermittently not moving in one direction and it was the cap on the other end of the tangent bolt thing not being centered. Not sure if it's the same design as yours but that's where to look.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
      #5422442 - 09/15/12 02:28 PM

Wow, nice Jupiter shots. Imagine how good it will be with better seeing and recoated mirrors.

Tim, are the mirror engravings on these block letters or cursive?

And I'm confused on the 12.5" - I don't think I've ever seen an observatory mount on a transportable pier and legs nor do I see this in any catalog. What should I call it in the Registry? A Model D Transportable Observatory?

You can never have too many Caves!

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: PiSigma]
      #5422509 - 09/15/12 03:28 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Hi Jon:

Both mirrors are engraved with cursive lettering.

I keep wondering the same thing about the 12.5". I asked the seller if it had a permanent pier originally, but he said that it didn't, or that there wasn't one in the back of the garage or anything. Also, those are Parks legs, and while I've seen them on a number of Caves over the years, all those were later models when Cave was getting parts from other suppliers (or so I imagine). But this scope is from 1972, when they were still going strong. Also, the hammertone gray on the pier matches that on the rest of the mount. So maybe the original owner (the seller's father in law, who moved to Idaho or some such place and took the eyepieces with him) ordered it that way. If so, I could kiss the dude! What a perfect combination! Only gripe is that the industrial casters and the legs raise the scope close to a foot higher than it would need to be on a permanent pier for the tube to clear. I was able to get by with a 2-step stepstool last night, though. A slightly taller one would get me to the eyepiece even at the zenith, I think. I only needed about another 10" or a foot or so. Of course, when I was imaging, I only needed to be able to reach the focuser!

Tonight I might try shooting RGB with a monochrome Scorpion camera. Frame rate is limited to 20fps, but the fidelity of the color that way is somewhat improved. Still, I like shooting with color cameras. A lot simpler to process.

Speaking of processing, I fiddled with that 2nd to last image sequence again this morning, and settled on this result:

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
      #5422545 - 09/15/12 03:51 PM

If you get that mirror re-aluminized you can probably increase the frame rate.

Pretty great images for a coating in need of replacement!

JimC

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland
      #5422550 - 09/15/12 03:56 PM

Beeyoootiful!

What a fantastic find.

I can remember drooling over the Cave ads (amongst others) in S&T as a kid in Zimbabwe (or Rhodesia as then was - with the sanctions imposed as a result of UDI drooling was all I could do - little chance of ever getting hold of one even if I could have afforded it).

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: Masvingo]
      #5422553 - 09/15/12 03:57 PM

Yeah, in the 1974 catalog this puppy on the permanent pier is listed at $2200! I think my sister bought a new VW super beetle for not much more than that about that time.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#5422568 - 09/15/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

What with the Bardou last week and the 2 Caves this, I'm averaging 1.5 telescope purchases a week! "hopefully" the trend will not be maintained, though!

Wife and daughter just called me from the Golden West swap meet in Huntington Beach. They found a 60x900 Kenko in a wooden box with styrafoam inserts for $45. So my average is currently 2 scopes/wk!

-Tim.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland
      #5422575 - 09/15/12 04:14 PM

When you're on a roll, you're on a roll!

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
      #5422580 - 09/15/12 04:17 PM

Tim,

These are great acquisitions. Those images are amazing! I hope to get something similar as I am now working on imaging with the classics and my Mallincam Xtreme. You should see the crazy images I am getting of M13 at 7 sec. exposure with my 60mm f20 from my backyard.

Tim, you are very lucky to have that detached garage for all your scopes. 2/week is crazy!! Did you see the Vixen/Celestron 4.5 on a Polaris mount this morning? Go get it!

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

#5422682 - 09/15/12 05:41 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Thanks for the mirror info Tim. It's time for me to post an update to the Registry.

And guess what? I went back through my library of S&T Cave ads. The Model D Transportable wasn't advertised much. A few times in mid 1960 and a few more times in mid 1976. The Observatory pier mount model was featured several times over the years.

But.....one time, in May of 1972 no less, they featured this (I hope the mods allow this for discussion purposes). Obviously a shorter focal length than yours. Ad mentions them down to f/5.5.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

#5422691 - 09/15/12 05:48 PM

BTW, the version of the Cave "pink" cover catalog that I have, which can't be any newer than 1965 due to the Cave address and phone number format, shows the Model D with Parks legs (but not the observatory mount of course).

desertrefugee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/07

Loc: Arizona
      #5422770 - 09/15/12 06:58 PM

Quote:

...I fiddled with that 2nd to last image sequence this morning, and settled on this result...

Tim,

Far be it from me to criticize the excellent images that "new" Cave is throwing up, but is collimation spot-on there? I ask because I'm seeing a softness on the left Jovian limb. Could be an artifact of the processing, but definitely softer on that side.

Having said that (dang I hate that phrase), I have only been able to match your results once or twice - out of more trial and tribulation than I care to admit.

To get that first night out just ain't fair...

tim53
Postmaster

#5422899 - 09/15/12 08:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the mirror info Tim. It's time for me to post an update to the Registry.

And guess what? I went back through my library of S&T Cave ads. The Model D Transportable wasn't advertised much. A few times in mid 1960 and a few more times in mid 1976. The Observatory pier mount model was featured several times over the years.

But.....one time, in May of 1972 no less, they featured this (I hope the mods allow this for discussion purposes). Obviously a shorter focal length than yours. Ad mentions them down to f/5.5.

Extra cool!! One thing I've never figured out, though. How do the leveling screws work on these? don't they run into the casters? Or are they brakes? Mine has bolts in the inner set of holes (one is missing).

Another thing this reminds me of: Why is the pier so tall, especially for the f/5.5? Meade made the 12.5" Research Grade with a tall pier as well. Diebel said it looked right, and wouldn't listen when we pointed out that with a short pier you might not need a ladder at all for the f/6!

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: desertrefugee]
      #5422900 - 09/15/12 08:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...I fiddled with that 2nd to last image sequence this morning, and settled on this result...

Tim,

Far be it from me to criticize the excellent images that "new" Cave is throwing up, but is collimation spot-on there? I ask because I'm seeing a softness on the left Jovian limb. Could be an artifact of the processing, but definitely softer on that side.

Having said that (dang I hate that phrase), I have only been able to match your results once or twice - out of more trial and tribulation than I care to admit.

I'd have to check, but I think it's greater limb darkening on that side because it's so far before opposition.

-Tim.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

#5422926 - 09/15/12 08:51 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

Extra cool!! One thing I've never figured out, though. How do the leveling screws work on these? don't they run into the casters? Or are they brakes? Mine has bolts in the inner set of holes (one is missing).

They run into the casters when the casters swivel. On the Cave legs the leveling screws are outboard of the casters. On those Parks legs they look to be to the inside but close enough so that they still run into the casters when they swivel to that side.

My driveway is very sloped so it is tough for me to roll my Caves from the right direction so that the casters end up away from the leveling screws. And I have to put a block under the lowest leg then wind the screws down and level the pier tube with a bubble level. Biggest pain is you have to wind them all the way up so the bottom point is at least even with the bottom of the leg so the casters can swivel again.

desertrefugee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/07

Loc: Arizona
      #5422975 - 09/15/12 09:24 PM

I pondered that notion and you're probably right, but I've never seen it so pronounced.

Danged Caves. Looks like they live up to the legend.

For sure you didn't waste any time in getting use, enjoyment and satisfaction out of that one.

Good to see.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tim,

I'd have to check, but I think it's greater limb darkening on that side because it's so far before opposition.

-Tim.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6755

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics