Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: desertrefugee]
      #5423033 - 09/15/12 10:21 PM

It's weird, but I really dig this scope. It's absolutely quiet, which is probably why I didn't think the slo mos were working. And since the drive corrector is bolted to the mount, setup is really fast and simple!

I prefer to make my own scopes, but the truth is that this one is easier to set up than my 12.5" cass, and the images are superb. Yep, a keeper!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: tim53]
      #5423052 - 09/15/12 10:39 PM

Timbo as much as I'm a dyed in the wool refractor nut I still think you did well! If I had the room and for the sake of collecting I'd probably done the same thing myself. Mike

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: PiSigma]
      #5423165 - 09/16/12 12:40 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

Had a couple pix on my phone from last night that I thought I'd post.

This first one is while the clock cover was off and I was trying to understand the clutch. That's it - the half-inch plate with the slot cut in it and the single allen bolt to tighten it - between the backplate and the RA gear.

I only gave the bolt about an eighth of a turn and that brought the RA tightness comparable to the dec. Moving the scope in either direction manually while at the eyepiece is surprisingly easy - something I was surprised to find with my 8" lightweight deluxe as well. Almost like you don't need a drive corrector to observe comfortably and periodically center objects (I wasn't very polar aligned).

It'll be interesting to measure the PE on this thing some day. It doesn't seem to be very big, and the backlash is minimal - it switches directions pretty quickly when you hit the RA slow motion buttons.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#5423173 - 09/16/12 12:46 AM Attachment (45 downloads)

And here it is all rigged up for visual. I switched to the camera shortly after this. Clock cover is still off in the picture, but I put it back on.

Oh, and the RA circle wasn't on backwards. The numbers would have read backwards if it were reversed. So the pointer needs to extend across the circle to line up with the marks - OR they should have made a version of the RA circle with the index on the opposite edge.

-Tim.

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5423405 - 09/16/12 09:09 AM

Tim, congratulations you have a fantastic scope.

Rich (RLTYS)

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #5423436 - 09/16/12 09:33 AM

Tim I have been messing with to many Byers gears as of late! The gear in that scope looks like a drive gear off a tractor!
As to the Cave "LEVELING SCREWS" They are nothing short of silly. By the time they hit the ground they are extended so far out the entire scope giggles around on them. For setting up the scope for short term use I never use them. What they are really great for is screwing up and getting in the way of the wheels when your trying to move the scope around!!
Clint

gelkin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/10

Loc: Western, MD.
Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #5423453 - 09/16/12 09:54 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

I like using the leveling screws. However i always remove the casters when i set up to keep the legs close to the ground. Thats easy for me to say with an 8" light wieght.

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: gelkin]
      #5423474 - 09/16/12 10:06 AM

Gerald,
You better get busy and paint that nasty looking Unitron leg. O and get another coat of wax on the Cave casting, I cant quite make out the camera in the reflection
(aveman..

tim53
Postmaster

#5423992 - 09/16/12 03:57 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

That drive gear has so few teeth that the periodic error must be forever long! I was hitting the fast button most of last night, and the slow most of the night before!

Best Jupiter last night.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
      #5423994 - 09/16/12 03:58 PM

Wow that is nice.

drollere
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/02/10

Loc: sebastopol, california
Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: actionhac]
      #5424032 - 09/16/12 04:20 PM

this thread needs to be on youtube!

tim53
Postmaster

#5424134 - 09/16/12 05:42 PM

Quote:

Tim I have been messing with to many Byers gears as of late! The gear in that scope looks like a drive gear off a tractor!

Or a Model TT!

Quote:

As to the Cave "LEVELING SCREWS" They are nothing short of silly. By the time they hit the ground they are extended so far out the entire scope giggles around on them. For setting up the scope for short term use I never use them. What they are really great for is screwing up and getting in the way of the wheels when your trying to move the scope around!!
Clint

That's what I expected. And though it might be nice if these casters had brakes, I get by by putting the wheels in the groove between concrete slabs in my driveway. I'm lucky in that most transportable piers are pretty close to polar aligned when I put the north and east wheel in the groove.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#5424272 - 09/16/12 07:34 PM

Quote:

Tim,

Far be it from me to criticize the excellent images that "new" Cave is throwing up, but is collimation spot-on there? I ask because I'm seeing a softness on the left Jovian limb. Could be an artifact of the processing, but definitely softer on that side.

Guess what? I checked, and it ain't! I thought I'd gotten it when i cleaned and put the mirrors back, but it's definitely not quite there.

Not sure I'll have time tonight to try again. Curiosity time is rolling around to the early morning, so I'd have to get up really early and do this before going to work. So far, I've just been staying up all night, but that's starting to wear out. In the days to come, it'll be easier to get up before going to work, though, for about a week or so.

-Tim.

desertrefugee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/07

Loc: Arizona
      #5424538 - 09/16/12 10:32 PM

Great.

Your images are only going to get better.

That last one is truly excellent. About as good as it gets with that aperture...or maybe not!

Good show, old boy. Truly.

I'm more than a little jealous, truth be told.

Da Bear
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/06

Loc: Kali-Forn-Ya
      #5424789 - 09/17/12 02:30 AM

Tim,

WOW oh, WOW..just wondeful images....Congrats again, you have a real gem of a mirror and mount. When you get this rig dialed in, you can give a lot of high end refractors a run for their money.
There is nothing like the feeling of bringing a old scope back to life. Those photons were just waiting for you to point that mirror in the right direction.

Da Bear

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: Da Bear]
      #5424903 - 09/17/12 06:43 AM

Thanks!

Well, as the rest of you so-Callers know, I'm not likely to get another chance to image Jupiter for a while. The good news is that our heat spell may be broken, though. But the bad news is that the Maroon Layer socked in not long after dark last night.

-Tim.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5426804 - 09/18/12 07:11 AM

Tim; wow......sweeet.
I used a similiar scope at Scott Horstmans one night on Jupiter, man all I can say is Jupiter was so awesome, that image will alwasy be burned into my brain cells.

Here in Ohio, you will never find scopes like this.For sale cheap.
To much light pollution, weather nasty most of the time.

Your Jupiter images are sweeeeet.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: droid]
      #5434272 - 09/22/12 11:40 AM

I'm heading off to PATS this morning (I only live about 5 miles away, and can take the train).

Ain't taking the Cave though! But we so-Calers should think about doing a Classics booth there one of these years! I'd be willing to bring the 12.5" Cave and maybe the 8" Optical Craftsmen Connoisseur or Orange C-8 #135 (Tinky).

Anybody else?

-Tim.

Bill Griffith
sage

Reged: 08/12/09

Loc: Ca.
      #5434646 - 09/22/12 03:27 PM

Heck, You could fill a booth with just your collection! Or Clint's or Dan's or Robert's or Steve's or Lew's or DaBears!
That's not even half way through the list in your area on this forum.

L.A. area must be one of the most dense areas for classic scopes on the planet!

Off Topic: At PATS today Vixen will have their focus adapters p/n VX-3720 for purchase. These adapters are 36.4 mm to 1.250 adapters. These work on SYW, Monolux,Optical science company. I think Mayflower and many others.

Vixen sells out quickly and are on back order all the time. Consequently hard to keep in other retail stores that sell their product line.

I think it would be pretty cool to have a classic gathering at PATS Tim. Great idea!

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Only had 2 Caves, so bought 2 more! new [Re: Bill Griffith]
      #5434892 - 09/22/12 06:41 PM

Vixen via opt? I don't think I've seen a vixen booth. Will go check!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6634

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics