Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Another RV-6 Find!
      #5434584 - 09/22/12 02:44 PM Attachment (134 downloads)

Tucson had been quite dry of any kind of Classics on Craigslist for a long time, but yesterday morning, this RV-6 came up for only $50! Since I was getting ready for work and it was early, I didn't call the telephone number and sent an email instead with my number. Later in the morning, they called me back and it turned out it was located in Corona de Tucson, about an hour from my house, but only 10 minutes from work. So, I got the address, hit the ATM machine and zoomed on down and picked it up. A retired couple had it and didn't know anything about telescopes or this scope except the owner had it outside a lot, I think it belonged to their neighbor who passed away. Overall, it's in pretty good shape and not as bad as it looks! The main reason (besides the price) I went after this one was that I don't have any 6" scopes of any kind in the herd.

With Preston, Jon and others' threads on the RV-6, this one should be a breeze to restore, right?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Datapanic]
      #5434585 - 09/22/12 02:44 PM Attachment (63 downloads)

This one has a label on the eyepiece end of the tube as well as the pier cap. Serial #2398.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5434589 - 09/22/12 02:45 PM Attachment (57 downloads)

The focuser's extension tube is stuck inside. The finder was the "new lens" the seller told me about, not the original, but maybe one will show up for sale sometime. One of the adjustment knobs was replaced but I think I have some extras laying around or can get one from Stellar Visions in Tucson.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5434591 - 09/22/12 02:46 PM Attachment (57 downloads)

The secondary vanes are a little bent up! Tube is in good shape except for a crack where the vane mounts to it at the 3 o'clock position.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5434594 - 09/22/12 02:46 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

The Mirror seems to be in good shape, no chips or scratches and just a good layer of dust on it. It was loose in the cell and the cell was loose in the tube. Maybe the seller wanted to clean it but the fasteners were too rusted to get loose and he gave up and left it like it is.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5434595 - 09/22/12 02:47 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

The back of the mirror has no stickers and is scribed with 50". There is some delamination on the end of the tube at about the 7 o'clock position.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5434598 - 09/22/12 02:47 PM Attachment (54 downloads)

The mount is complete, I guess, and at some point in time, somebody took a can of black spray paint to it 'touching up' the pier cap, shaft housings and the declination shaft. The label on the pier cap is not readable. The scope moves smoothly on both axises. I didn't test the clock drive, will save that task for when the mount is taken apart and overhauled.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5434601 - 09/22/12 02:48 PM Attachment (70 downloads)

The Dec Shaft is rusty on the lower end - I've seen worse! Toe Saver is there as well as the Criterion 100 counterweight.

madeline
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/30/10

Loc: Bloomington, MN
      #5434670 - 09/22/12 03:47 PM

Great find and for $50.00, you can't go wrong.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: madeline]
      #5434685 - 09/22/12 03:57 PM

I hope everything on that works good. It's an early one.

As in most things, even the VW Bug, there are small changes through time that help date the RV-6. The tag on the OTA stopped in the later years, along with labeling a serial number. The tag on the pier top is riveted instead of just a sticky label. If you remove the pier cap from the pipe, you will likely find a retaining groove that the set screws go into. Later models only had a smooth collar that slipped into the pier pipe.

The Lattitude clamp is probably from another scope, I could be wrong. I've never seen anything other that a cap bolt.
My earliest one here now is serial number 3298 while yours is 2398. Sweet. I believe a friend of mine has an even earlier one but he is out of town and I won't be asking his wife. I'll get it in about a month.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: madeline]
      #5434688 - 09/22/12 03:58 PM

Nice scope, gotta love those old Dynascopes.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5434755 - 09/22/12 04:53 PM

Beautiful find, Dan!

Btw, I believe those old Dynascope tubes are phenolic-impregnated kraft paper... I've had good results repairing this type of material by using fairly runny 24-hour-cure epoxy (to assure penetration into the base of the delamination), with masking tape to hold the repair until cured. Any repair to the cracks near the one spider vane should probably be reinforced - you might want to reinforce the areas near all the vanes, as well as the mirror cell, focuser and finder ring attachment points; this type of tube becomes quite brittle with age, especially in the climate of the desert Southwest.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
      #5436763 - 09/23/12 07:01 PM

Nice acquisition Dan. You do need a 6"!

These are awesome little scopes. Mine is a joy to use and produces quite spectacular views for a 6". When I don't want to roll a Cave out this is usually my next choice.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: PiSigma]
      #5436789 - 09/23/12 07:14 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Thanks guys - this is the only 6" I've ever had

I started to disassemble the scope this afternoon, mainly to see what the Clock Drive looks like, and found a bit of rust where it looks like water got inside the housing...

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5436795 - 09/23/12 07:17 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

I removed the motor cover to find that the flywheel would not turn, as it's a little bit rusty. It might still clean up and work though.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5437164 - 09/23/12 11:11 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

After taking the motor off the mount and cleaning up the flywheel and stators with a dremel wire brush, fine sand paper and canned air to blow out the debris, I persuaded the motor to start spinning! It will start spinning all on its own. The gear box seems to be just fine and the output shaft turns very slowly.

john gabriel
sage

Reged: 12/13/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5437173 - 09/23/12 11:16 PM

That is a great classic find, Dan, especially for $50. I'm finding that a good long focus 6" mirror can be a lot of fun! Congratulations!
John

strdst
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/23/08

Loc: Oregon Territory
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: john gabriel]
      #5437238 - 09/24/12 12:12 AM

That's a great catch Dan. Is there a date penciled inside the motor cover?

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: strdst]
      #5437337 - 09/24/12 01:37 AM

Quote:

That's a great catch Dan. Is there a date penciled inside the motor cover?

I did an initial cleanup of the motor cover and there was no date inside of it, but it does have a clear plastic window to see if the rotor is spinning. This motor is all brass or something instead of aluminum or silver color.

But, while wiping off the goop on the motor housing, I found the specs: "A10 110V 60CY 3W 6 RPH () 34285R 10-70"

The "()" is a symbol that looks like a "C" with "SB" inside it. Pretty sure the 10-70 would be the date for October, 1970.

Edit: there is also a "6 RPH" after the "3W"

Edited by Datapanic (09/24/12 02:29 AM)

Grava T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
      #5437529 - 09/24/12 06:40 AM

Nice find Dan. It's been pretty dry up in my neck of the woods latley as well. Hoping to find something classic soon.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5437880 - 09/24/12 11:12 AM

Quote:

Edit: there is also a "6 RPH" after the "3W"

Yup, 1/10 rpm motor driving a 144-tooth gear. Glad to hear you got it working; while it's rare for the motor itself to fail, the gearbox is another story. I would strongly suggest lubricating the gears and shafts before running it for any length of time.

A little light machine oil should do the trick; if the gearbox is sealed, you might find this CN thread useful:

Classic Drive Motors Aren't So Scary

trainsktg
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5451171 - 10/02/12 12:02 AM

A good price, and its very good restorable condition. The little motors are champs. A motor for a basket case RV-6 I got for free was all seized up too, and with a little judicious cleaning it also fired right up. You're going to love it.

Keith

astro140

Reged: 01/28/08

Loc: Mayhill, New Mexico
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: apfever]
      #5452935 - 10/03/12 12:21 AM Attachment (40 downloads)

Quote:

The Lattitude clamp is probably from another scope, I could be wrong. I've never seen anything other that a cap bolt.

Is this the lattitude clamp you are refering to? This is original to my RV6 purchased circa 1960. Both the manufacturers ID plate on the mount and OTA have no serial number....just stamped M RV6.
Steve
NM

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Indiana
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: astro140]
      #5453075 - 10/03/12 05:26 AM

The oldest models did have that clamp bolt. You can see it in some of the old ads. Wish they had kept that one. I think they went out about the same time that they quit using the metal tags.

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: astro140]
      #5453079 - 10/03/12 05:36 AM

You can see it here in this RV-8 ad from the 70's. This is at the Yahoo group site so I'm not sure if you can view it if your not a member. If your not already, it's time to join. RV-8 ad

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #5454540 - 10/04/12 03:14 AM

I think I'll leave the gearbox alone - it purrs just fine as it is and I don't think it has any tell-tail signs of problems in it (of course I could be wrong!).

I have started to disassemble the scope, but wont be able to finish that up until this weekend. One thing I can't figure out is how to take the 2-piece RA circle apart so I can lube it up. It seems to be pressed together or something. Also, the RA and Dec shafts are in tight to their housings. I can probably clean up the shafts without removing them, but it would still be nice to take it completely apart.

Overall, my first impression of an RV-6 is that these were crafted quite well. This is my first opportunity to see one close up!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5456815 - 10/05/12 04:25 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Anyone know how this thing comes apart? It needs some lube on the inside and an overall cleanup...

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

#5467563 - 10/12/12 11:49 PM

I don't think they come apart. I have looked and looked at mine trying to figure out how they are made. Anyone have a clue as to how this was assembled?

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5467605 - 10/13/12 12:41 AM

It's not machined out of a single piece of bar stock?

-Tim.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: tim53]
      #5467619 - 10/13/12 12:57 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

I can't remember but isn't it 2 parts with a seam right at the tip of my red arrow?
And I thought a thumb screw locked the circle to the circle hub.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: actionhac]
      #5467812 - 10/13/12 07:15 AM

I thought the gear box would have been rusted solid at first sight
You will be surprised when done and you put it up against a C8.. Mine shows more detail, just not as bright.
Looks like the origonal owner didn't know how to collimate the optics, just twist on the seondary.

Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/09

Loc: Clayton, NC
      #5467821 - 10/13/12 07:35 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Quote:

I can't remember but isn't it 2 parts with a seam right at the tip of my red arrow?
And I thought a thumb screw locked the circle to the circle hub.

Yes and yes.

I suppose the two pieces are just frozen together. Is there a hole for a set screw? If so, have you tried some WD-40, Kroil or PB Blaster in through the hole? If it is frozen really bad, you may have to heat it as well or try channel locks and apply some light twisting force to the two pieces. Of course, I would wrap it with cloth or electrical tape to protect from scratching it. Either way that scope is in great hands.

Mine has a set screw and came apart easily. I wonder if the design changed? Mine is later than yours, sn# 3995.

Edited by Compressorguy (10/13/12 07:53 AM)

Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Compressorguy]
      #5467836 - 10/13/12 08:03 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

Also here's an idea for some very inexpensive tube end rings. I made these from some thin aluminum strap I bought at Lowes. Just bent and polished it up with some steel wool. Plus it's completely reversible with no damage to the scope. The underside is lined with felt to protect the finish.

Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

#5467839 - 10/13/12 08:06 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

And completed

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

#5467878 - 10/13/12 08:47 AM

Those are a great idea and I copied Scott's design, but with stainless. I will be completing my restoration of my RV-8 today and that is the last thing to add.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5468686 - 10/13/12 05:43 PM

The RA Circle does turn and it does have a set screw. I just would like to get some lube in there so it has the smooth feeling when rotating it. Right now it's metal on metal.

Haven't had much time to work on it but it is mostly apart and I have paint remover, evapo-rust and black wrinkle paint for it!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5574944 - 12/16/12 11:00 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

So I've been kinda slacking but really, just haven't had much time to tinker with the RV-6. There is some progress though. I have the whole thing disassembled and made an inventory of all the fasteners with their dimensions. I was kind of surprised at how many parts there are to this thing as well as the design itself - the RV-6 was really well made!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5574948 - 12/16/12 11:04 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

It took some serious grade paint remover to take off the old wrinkle-black paint from all the parts, and even then, not all of it came of, so the remaining paint was sanded off. Then, I applied some black primer and used Eastwood's Wrinkle Black rattle can paint. This is really good stuff, but a little tricky to use - the directions say to apply 2 thick coats about 3 minutes apart. Of course, temperature and humidity play a lot in that, but mainly, it's applying the right thickness. In the end, it came out with a fine wrinkle with a tough finish. Here's the pier cap with the RA Shaft Housing, Clock Drive Back Plate and polished latitude adjustment knob.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5574952 - 12/16/12 11:06 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Their Pier Column was painted with Rustoleum Hammered paint, although I didn't get much of a hammered effect with it. The legs were painted with the Eastwood's Wrinkled Black.

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

#5575067 - 12/17/12 01:02 AM

The last 2 cans of Hammered paint were the same way. Not sure if they have changed the formula or what. I had to really put it on heavy to get it to "separate" and get some hammer effect. Looking good!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5575079 - 12/17/12 01:14 AM

Quote:

The last 2 cans of Hammered paint were the same way. Not sure if they have changed the formula or what. I had to really put it on heavy to get it to "separate" and get some hammer effect. Looking good!

I've never had good luck with Hammered paint - but the job on this pier column did come out uniform and I'm going to keep it at that. It would be nice if the manufactures would put the ideal conditions to use with their directions - temperature and humidity have a huge influence on the outcome and they only give a wide range of temperature to spray at... If they had a chart that had the temperature, humidity and coat thickness required for uniform results, wouldn't that be nice?

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5586190 - 12/23/12 07:55 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Today, I finished up putting the clock drive back together and adjusting it. Originally, I was planning on blinging it up a little with new stainless steel fasteners, but it turns out the fasteners are hard to find. Most of them are not standard nor fine thread - they are somewhere in between, like #10 with 28 threads/inch. Normally, #10's are 24 or 32. I haven't been able to find a source for these odd sizes anywhere! So, I used the Dremel and cleaned them all up. I do have some fasteners that I could find replacements for on order - should be here next week or so.

The motor has been running for over 24 hours now with no issues! The original bolts holding it to the worm block will be replaced.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5586194 - 12/23/12 07:58 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

The Dec Shaft was a real challenge. After removing the spray paint that was covering up the rust and removing the rust with Evapo-Rust, I refinished the the shaft by wet-sanding with progressive grades starting at 220 and ending at 1500, then polish.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5586196 - 12/23/12 08:00 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

But as you can see, years out in the elements have done its damage to the shaft and there are very deep and large pits that are not going to go away without taking off a significant amount of steel.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
      #5586654 - 12/24/12 04:58 AM

Hi Dan,

What is the purpose of the small pins that go through the clutch plate on the RV6 motor? I sheared one of mine off and need either to fix or ignore.

JimC

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
      #5586930 - 12/24/12 10:15 AM

That's looking great Dan. And wow, those are some very deep pits in that shaft. I suppose to save cost Criterion used some fairly low grade steel for those shafts.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5587110 - 12/24/12 12:03 PM

Quote:

Hi Dan,

What is the purpose of the small pins that go through the clutch plate on the RV6 motor? I sheared one of mine off and need either to fix or ignore.

JimC

I'm not sure what those pins are for. There's only 2 of them instead of 3 placed symmetrically around the clutch. I can't imagine that they are any form of a guide pin. They could serve as a way to minimize play between the clutch plates.

So far, I've been impressed by the quality machining of the mount. Having never seen an RV-6 up close before, my assumption was that they were cheap for a reason, but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: PiSigma]
      #5587120 - 12/24/12 12:11 PM

Quote:

That's looking great Dan. And wow, those are some very deep pits in that shaft. I suppose to save cost Criterion used some fairly low grade steel for those shafts.

I guess. I was thinking about replacing the shaft, but so far, I haven't been able to separate the cradle from the shaft. There is a set screw on the top end, but even with that removed, the shaft isn't budging and I don't want to break or crack the cradle trying to force the shaft to move. I even tried soaking the set screw hole and the area where the shaft goes in to the cradle with liquid wrench to no avail.

It's probably better to just leave the original shaft like it is. It does function, after all!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5587631 - 12/24/12 07:02 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

I think I'm going to go for the Aged But Shiny effect. The circle pointers were also pitted from rust, but they match the Dec Shaft!

The RA Circle, cleaned up well. I lightly sanded with 400 grit paper on up to 1500 to first remove the paint and then have a surface smooth enough to polish. I was not able to take the thing apart, so I made a homemade grease-gun with a tube of Silicon Lube and a small nozzle to squirt the lube in the hole where the set screw is now. The lube helps with the metal on metal noise and gives it a slight resistance when turning it.

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

#5587659 - 12/24/12 07:18 PM

I'm pretty sure what you are seeing are pits in chrome plating. Mine had that to some degree. The more you sand on it, the worse it will rust. I wax mine regularly with a silicone wax.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5684381 - 02/16/13 10:50 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

After a lot of discussion on Green Felt, I followed Dave Groski's advice to use thin felt, because the rings are already a tight fit and thicker felt would make too tight of a fit for the tube.

After cutting the strips, I tried using Scotch Permanent Double Sided tape. It stuck to the felt well, but was not very good sticking to the ring sides. So, trash that idea!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5684383 - 02/16/13 10:52 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Method 2 worked out much better - Elmer's Rubber Cement was brushed on the backside of the felt strips with a light coat and then applied to the inside of the rings.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5684388 - 02/16/13 10:57 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Closeup of the clamp side of the rings, showing the wrinkle black paint, a new stud with pin and wing nut.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5684420 - 02/16/13 11:19 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Here's the completed mount. The resizing of the image makes the wrinkle black paint looked specked and the Dec Shaft is not that bad looking!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#5684431 - 02/16/13 11:25 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

The tube is going to need a lot of work. It has deep gouges, cracks and delamination going on from top to bottom. I think some fiberglass (without the cloth), Bondo and Spotting Putty are all going to be used to get it smooth before painting.

At the eyepiece end, you can see double holes for the focuser as well as the non-stock finder. If you look closely, you can see indentations of the original finder bracket, which is rectangular, but the holes are not there! I did find a Criterion Finder and Bracket from Don Rothman of Astro Parts Outlet.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6309154 - 01/12/14 09:42 PM

Dan, have you finished this up yet?

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6309208 - 01/12/14 10:09 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

Nope - I've been slackin'! But, I did find the proper drive screws for the name plates that go on the OTA and Mount. Unfortunately, I ordered the wrong size - I ordered size 2's and I think I should have gone with size 4's. The place I ordered them from is Rivets Online and the minimum is a box of 100. I don't know why they sent me a bag of 60 and a bag of 40 when I ordered them - all I needed was 4!

I'll order the #4's, but that place does not have #4-1/4" length which I think is the length of the originals.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6309215 - 01/12/14 10:12 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Here's the mount, all done. The OTA is still all apart and just about ready for paint, but the temps are too low for that right now.

The Mirror and Secondary were recoated and are tucked away safe in a box.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

#6309258 - 01/12/14 10:29 PM

Looks like your doing a fine job Finish that puppy up! Or I'm gonna come up and finish it for you

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

#6309538 - 01/13/14 03:57 AM

Yeah it's too cold for paint. I had to wait a full week just for a rattle can first coat and later touch up. It took a few days between the first and touch up, then a few days before I would handle it. Paint can cure for over a week easy in mild weather, not to mention a bit chilly.

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #6309568 - 01/13/14 05:11 AM

Quote:

I was thinking about replacing the shaft, but so far, I haven't been able to separate the cradle from the shaft. There is a set screw on the top end, but even with that removed, the shaft isn't budging and I don't want to break or crack the cradle trying to force the shaft to move. I even tried soaking the set screw hole and the area where the shaft goes in to the cradle with liquid wrench to no avail.

It's probably better to just leave the original shaft like it is. It does function, after all!

I've got the same problem withy my Meade 826 mount, I've been soaking it for 6 months with various penetrating oils.
No luck. Also no luck with the dec circle part either and I don't want to use heat, so the pitted shaft stays.
BTW nice job.
Sam

FlashGordan

Reged: 12/29/13

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: planet earth]
      #6309603 - 01/13/14 06:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking about replacing the shaft, but so far, I haven't been able to separate the cradle from the shaft. There is a set screw on the top end, but even with that removed, the shaft isn't budging and I don't want to break or crack the cradle trying to force the shaft to move. I even tried soaking the set screw hole and the area where the shaft goes in to the cradle with liquid wrench to no avail.

I've got the same problem withy my Meade 826 mount, I've been soaking it for 6 months with various penetrating oils.
No luck. Also no luck with the dec circle part either and I don't want to use heat, so the pitted shaft stays.
BTW nice job.
Sam

Try PB Blaster. It's the ONLY penetrating oil I'll ever use. I've had bolts so rusted that no other oil would budge. Just let it soak for awhile.

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: FlashGordan]
      #6309622 - 01/13/14 07:01 AM

Or you could try Aero Kroil or another in this family of penetrating oils. My car buddies tell me this is absolutely the best penetrating oil. It's not cheap though.

http://www.kanolabs.com/penLub.html

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Geo31]
      #6309788 - 01/13/14 09:03 AM

I'll try the Aero Kroll, I've tried PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench.
Thanks
Sam

Rand Barthel

Reged: 12/16/12

Loc: Central Massachusetts
      #6321133 - 01/18/14 07:25 PM

Quote:

The oldest models did have that clamp bolt. You can see it in some of the old ads. Wish they had kept that one. I think they went out about the same time that they quit using the metal tags.

Mine is a 1971, I just found out, and it has a socket bolt and came with a big Allen wrench to tighten it with.

Rand Barthel

Reged: 12/16/12

Loc: Central Massachusetts
      #6321143 - 01/18/14 07:31 PM

Quote:

And completed

Gorgeous! What's the bracket on the side of the tube 90* from the focuser? Mine doesn't have one of those.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Rand Barthel]
      #6321269 - 01/18/14 09:19 PM

I believe the saddles are a heat shrink fit. The saddle material will expand quite a bit more than the shaft. If the saddle was heated, then placed on the shaft and allowed to shrink on, you could have one hefty tight press fit. I know a lot of saddles on vintage scopes are simply a press fit without any other bolt, pin, or set screw.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Rand Barthel]
      #6322259 - 01/19/14 01:57 PM

Quote:

Gorgeous! What's the bracket on the side of the tube 90* from the focuser? Mine doesn't have one of those.

It holds a rod to which you could mount a solar projection screen or a camera holder.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: rdandrea]
      #6347820 - 01/31/14 06:37 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

I've been working on finishing this one up the past couple of weeks. The tube, which has been painted with Ace Appliance Epoxy is a problem. The eyepiece end is out of round and squished in at 90 and 270 degrees rotation from the focuser. It is still stiff enough that I can probably collimate it, but I think in the long run, a replacement would work better.

The spider vanes were straightened out by using a C-clamp to press them flat.

Once the optics are tested out, I'll blacken out the fasteners and finish it off with either aluminum end rings or rubber door trim on the tube ends.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6347830 - 01/31/14 06:41 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

The focuser turned out good after painting the base wrinkle black and polishing up the brass a little. I also polished up the focuser knobs and shaft. I'm not sure if the pressure plate was ever painted or not, so that got the treatment as well as brass machine screws for adjusting it.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6347844 - 01/31/14 06:45 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

The original finder on this scope was replaced with a 6x30 Meade, but I managed to find a correct Criterion finder for it that was in pretty good shape. Here is the tube painted and ready for the lettering to be blackened in. I'm thinking that a fine point sharpie would work well for this, but would like other ideas too.

It was also missing one of the adjuster screws which was replaced with a plastic one. After looking closely, I also noticed one of the original adjusters was cut short and 2 other ones were not quite the same. So, I am think on ordering some 6-32 Brass Knurled Knobs for it from Scope Stuff.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6347847 - 01/31/14 06:47 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

Not too much more to do! The Mirror Cell has been painted and put back together and the Secondary Holder is all set to go too, except for making a new stalk for it out of brass threaded rod.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6347852 - 01/31/14 06:49 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

I deviated from the original design of the Mirror Cell by using knurled knobs for the adjusters instead of the nut and arcorn nuts it originally had. This should make it easier to adjust out in the field.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6347856 - 01/31/14 06:53 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

One issue I am having is the size of the Secondary Adjustment Bolts. In the photo are 3 bolts - a #4-40, the original and a #6-32.

I think the original is a #5-42, using my thread gauge, it is definitely not a #5-40 or #5-44 - Either way, #5 machine screws are hard to find. Maybe it's metric? I find that hard to believe given that the scope was made in the US in the 60's. Throughout, it does have some unusual fastener sizes. The original Secondary Adjustment Bolts are pretty beat up but I could reuse them.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6347857 - 01/31/14 06:55 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

The Primary and Secondary mirrors have been recoated and have been safely stored away in a sealed box until the time comes - which I think will be very soon!

actionhac
Post Laureate

#6347970 - 01/31/14 08:13 PM

Looking great Dan.
You are very close to trying yours out!
Those could be #5 screws for the diagonal holder, I sure have an odd mix of fasteners on my scope.

It sure is fun all these RV-6's on the forum right now it reminds me of pinewood derby cars when I was a kid, all basically the same but each a bit different than the other.

Someone said the RV-6 is "the Ford Model T of telescopes".

Robert

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6348068 - 01/31/14 09:11 PM

Quote:

Looking great Dan.
You are very close to trying yours out!
Those could be #5 screws for the diagonal holder, I sure have an odd mix of fasteners on my scope.

It sure is fun all these RV-6's on the forum right now it reminds me of pinewood derby cars when I was a kid, all basically the same but each a bit different than the other.

Someone said the RV-6 is "the Ford Model T of telescopes".

Robert

If I can find a source for #5's, I'll post it.

It looks like there's at least 3 RV-6 restores going on right now just in this forum!

The RV-6 is actually built well. I'm impressed by the quality I've seen in them. Can't wait for first light with this one, but it looks like clouds this weekend and even rain on Monday! I want to try out webcam imaging with it on Jupiter and the Moon. I suspect it'll give excellent results.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6348072 - 01/31/14 09:12 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

I decided to mount the mirror in the cell, since that's the next step to do...

But first, a picture of it fresh out of the box. It's amazing how fast dust gathers on things!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6348075 - 01/31/14 09:14 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

And here it is, in the Cell. I also marked center and installed a donut hole for collimation purposes.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

#6348133 - 01/31/14 09:50 PM

Quote:

I deviated from the original design of the Mirror Cell by using knurled knobs for the adjusters instead of the nut and arcorn nuts it originally had. This should make it easier to adjust out in the field.

Looking really good Dan! A few suggestions if you haven't already done these. The main 3 screws on the mirror cell on mine were secured by the rubber about them that also serve as the pads for the mirror to sit on. That's the only thing holding them in. When I took a trip to Prescott back in August I had it all set up for a great night under the stars and when I tried to collimate the thing would not collimate at all. Turn one too far and it would "slip" and jet off a different direction. This is the screws rotating because nothing is holding them there but rather the rubber holding it down. The rubber probably worked fine for many years but it has started to come up in several places resulting in this movement of the screws. My grandpa and I installed locking nuts on the screws so they stay in place and also don't put pressure on the mirror. While we were at it we installed wingnuts for ease of collimation and now it literally takes less than to collimate. Just a suggestion, made a huge difference.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6348165 - 01/31/14 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looking really good Dan! A few suggestions if you haven't already done these. The main 3 screws on the mirror cell on mine were secured by the rubber about them that also serve as the pads for the mirror to sit on. That's the only thing holding them in. When I took a trip to Prescott back in August I had it all set up for a great night under the stars and when I tried to collimate the thing would not collimate at all. Turn one too far and it would "slip" and jet off a different direction. This is the screws rotating because nothing is holding them there but rather the rubber holding it down. The rubber probably worked fine for many years but it has started to come up in several places resulting in this movement of the screws. My grandpa and I installed locking nuts on the screws so they stay in place and also don't put pressure on the mirror. While we were at it we installed wingnuts for ease of collimation and now it literally takes less than to collimate. Just a suggestion, made a huge difference.

I saw that on mine as well and it is a problem area in its design. If it was original, mine had felt pads with sticky adhesive on one side and the bolts were not rotating at all. So, when I assembled the cell, I slathered contact cement all over the tab area and over the bolt heads and the cork pads are on top - I think it'll hold those things in place for a while.

I also used brass washers on either end of the springs as well as on the backs where the adjustment knobs are.

It would have been better if the bolts were threaded into the inner cell to keep them in place which is the way the Cave cell, and probably others, were designed.

I'll install the mirror and cell tomorrow and finish up the secondary holder and need to paint the dew shield of the finder and it'll be ready! Can't wait!

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #6348222 - 01/31/14 10:53 PM

You have done an amazing job restoring this classic--one of the finest telescopes ever made.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: GeneT]
      #6350256 - 02/01/14 11:23 PM

Thanks Gene! This was a tough one in that finding replacement fasteners was difficult. If I couldn't find them, I cleaned up the originals and used them.

Today, I finished rebuilding the secondary holder and mounted the Mirror and Cell in the Tube. Did an initial collimation using a sight tube and then put a laser on it. Collimation was not too difficult, took about 45 minutes to rough it in and then 5 more to do the fine adjustments with the laser.

It is almost ready for first light, all that's left to finish is the finder and then wait for the skies to clear up! When that happens, I'll probably concentrate on imaging Jupiter with it - I haven't seen too many posts of images taken through an RV-6!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6350277 - 02/01/14 11:33 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Here it is - almost done!

rcwolpert
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/13/12

Loc: San Jose, CA
      #6350286 - 02/01/14 11:42 PM

Beautiful RV-6, Dan! Great job!!

- Bob

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

#6350301 - 02/01/14 11:50 PM

Outstanding. I think today that the RV-6 has been somewhat under-appreciated, especially considering the popularity of the Edmunds newts.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

#6350314 - 02/01/14 11:59 PM

Looking like new there! Were the pier legs originally black for your particular model?

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6350333 - 02/02/14 12:07 AM

George - I agree. The quality in the RV-6 is very good and I think that maybe their low price for a 6" back then may have brought forth a biased opinion that a $200 scope could not possibly measure up to the other 6" brands on the market. If I were to wave a magic wand and add features to it, it would be rotating rings, tube end rings and bearings for the RA and Dec shafts, but overall, those features would have added cost to it that would have prevented many from buying it as an entry level but serious scope.

Justin - I think they were wrinkle black - don't know for sure because someone spray painted it before I got it. They sprayed the legs, pier column, pier cap and other places with black paint and didn't do a very good job - it even had overspray on the dec shaft!

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

#6350366 - 02/02/14 12:30 AM

Quote:

George - I agree. The quality in the RV-6 is very good and I think that maybe their low price for a 6" back then may have brought forth a biased opinion that a $200 scope could not possibly measure up to the other 6" brands on the market.

The funny thing is 40 years ago, Consumer Reports did an article on scopes and rated the RV-6 as by far the best deal in a 6" scope (and much better optics). By contrast, the 6" Edmunds was rated as poor. Yet today, the Edmunds 6" scope seems to be much more collectable than the RV-6.

Bomber Bob
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/13

Loc: The Deep South, USA
      #6350745 - 02/02/14 08:45 AM

"Here it is - almost done!"

She's a beauty!

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Bomber Bob]
      #6350861 - 02/02/14 10:25 AM

That brass on the focuser is great. And there is just something about the profile of a white long tube on an eq mount.

gelkin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/10

Loc: Western, MD.
      #6350893 - 02/02/14 10:39 AM

Quote:

George - I agree. The quality in the RV-6 is very good and I think that maybe their low price for a 6" back then may have brought forth a biased opinion that a $200 scope could not possibly measure up to the other 6" brands on the market. If I were to wave a magic wand and add features to it, it would be rotating rings, tube end rings and bearings for the RA and Dec shafts, but overall, those features would have added cost to it that would have prevented many from buying it as an entry level but serious scope.

What I like about those types of rings is there added ability to re-balance at any time. If you put on a DSLR loosen up the clamp and slide to balance. Add a heavy eyepiece or bino viewer, just re-balance. Or loosen the clamp and rotate to fit viewing. Pretty handy.
As always Dan, looks great.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6351222 - 02/02/14 01:17 PM

Quote:

That brass on the focuser is great. And there is just something about the profile of a white long tube on an eq mount.

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
      #6351685 - 02/02/14 05:05 PM

Quote:

Looking like new there! Were the pier legs originally black for your particular model?

I quite sure the legs on all RV6's were the same color or something very close to the color of the pier. (Gray).
Bill

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Bonco]
      #6351690 - 02/02/14 05:07 PM

I think they were all raw cast aluminum, no paint.

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/21/04

Loc: Bradenton, FL
      #6353607 - 02/03/14 04:14 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Here's mine so far...
Needs paint, mirrors coated, rewire, etc.

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Vic Menard]
      #6353610 - 02/03/14 04:15 PM

Nice seeing some light bouncers besides Caves here.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6353615 - 02/03/14 04:20 PM

Quote:

Nice seeing some light bouncers besides Caves here.

I plan on starting my Mizar H-100 100mm f/10 next. Or maybe a 4" f/10 Edmund I picked up last year.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6356165 - 02/04/14 07:07 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

So yesterday morning, when I was getting set to paint the focus end piece of the viewfinder, I messed up and accidentally broke the cross-hairs! Not telling how

So, I needed to repair the cross-hair reticule. It uses very fine wire. I used single strands from a pair of old ear buds... The copper colored strands are single strands from the ground wire, while the greenish wires are from one of the Left/Right wires. I decided to go with the greenish wires since they were much thinner.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6356174 - 02/04/14 07:10 PM Attachment (2 downloads)

After removing the reticule and cleaning up the old glue, I laid it on a piece of paper and then taped one of the cross-hair wires over the reticule with just a small, small amount of tension and then slide the reticule to one side to get it at just the right amount of tension. Previous etch marks helped line up the wire just right.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6356180 - 02/04/14 07:13 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

Next I dabbed a small amount of glue over the wire and blotted up the excess. Once the glue dried, I cut the wire near the tape and repeated the process for the other cross-hair.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6356187 - 02/04/14 07:16 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

Finally, I trimmed off the excess wire and reinstalled it into the focuser end of the viewfinder using an optical spanner wrench.

Then, I put the whole thing together and focused it on infinity (in this case, the Moon). Then, I took the focuser end back off and turned the reticle until the cross-hairs were in focus at the eyepiece.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6356189 - 02/04/14 07:17 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

...and finally installed on the OTA!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6356191 - 02/04/14 07:18 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Ta Da!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6356196 - 02/04/14 07:20 PM

Initial daytime view of the Moon showed a nice crisp image with my 24mm Vernonscope Brandon - if the clouds go away I'll test it out again and maybe get some webcam images of the Moon and Jupiter.

fjs
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/25/13

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA
      #6356212 - 02/04/14 07:33 PM

Nice save Dan! Hey, did you use this? If not, what was it?

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: fjs]
      #6356238 - 02/04/14 07:45 PM

Great job Dan!
If you go back to the first page your first post the scope is in about the same position from the camera only a big time super major difference in condition!

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6356334 - 02/04/14 08:40 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Quote:

Nice save Dan! Hey, did you use this? If not, what was it?

That's a much nicer one than I have. Mine's an eBay special. The one in your link is about the same price, but it allows the tips to be angled which helps a lot because mine are fixed and can only go inside so far before the tip holders interfere with the housing.

fjs
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/25/13

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA
      #6356351 - 02/04/14 08:46 PM

Thanks!

Geo31
Carpal Tunnel

#6356591 - 02/04/14 10:24 PM

Bravo! Well done.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

#6357376 - 02/05/14 10:35 AM

Dan, you did an awesome job!!

Perseus_m45
sage

Reged: 07/16/11

Loc: pittsburgh area
      #6357437 - 02/05/14 11:05 AM

nice job dan!
mike h

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Perseus_m45]
      #6357534 - 02/05/14 11:54 AM

The RV-6 is looking really nice! One thing I noticed is that your knobs that hold the rings to the saddle plate appear to be different from all the others I have seen. Perhaps an indication of an early vintage?

Also, you mentioned that the scope was collimated. I had a difficult time getting my secondary tilt adjustment to work smoothly. Finally a short spring was added between the secondary holder and the round plate holding the adjustment screws. This made an immediate improvement in adjustability.

When I first used my RV-6 in the late 60's I knew nothing about collimation. Maybe there was a picture of the view through the focuser tube in the instructions. As I became more experienced I would unscrew the top of my 4 mm ortho and use the exposed field stop in the eyepiece barrel to help with collimation adjustment.

JimC

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 Find! new [Re: Mirzam]
      #6357688 - 02/05/14 01:08 PM

Quote:

The RV-6 is looking really nice! One thing I noticed is that your knobs that hold the rings to the saddle plate appear to be different from all the others I have seen. Perhaps an indication of an early vintage?

Also, you mentioned that the scope was collimated. I had a difficult time getting my secondary tilt adjustment to work smoothly. Finally a short spring was added between the secondary holder and the round plate holding the adjustment screws. This made an immediate improvement in adjustability.

When I first used my RV-6 in the late 60's I knew nothing about collimation. Maybe there was a picture of the view through the focuser tube in the instructions. As I became more experienced I would unscrew the top of my 4 mm ortho and use the exposed field stop in the eyepiece barrel to help with collimation adjustment.

JimC

I don't think the knobs that hold the rings to the saddle are original. They are old and sunbeaten, but made of hard bakelite material.

For collimation, I use a sight tube at first to get the secondary centered on the focuser and then a laser to adjust the primary and secondary. The design is a little tricky to make adjustments with and on my Caves, I have those springs on the adjustment screws and that really helps getting very smooth and minor adjustments.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#6358033 - 02/05/14 04:31 PM

Are you guys Barlowing the laser?
I use a Cheshire eyepiece and then I finish up with a Barlowed laser like here:
http://www.cameraconcepts.com/barlowed%20laser%20collimation.pdf
and then finally with a defocused star, and lastly a focused star at high power.
The RV-6 at f8 is very forgiving but still I like collimation as good as I can possibly get it. I learned this from SCT telescopes that collimation and mechanical alignment of all the optics, tube and focuser can make the difference between excellent and WOW!

Robert

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3970

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics