Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: actionhac]
      #5549389 - 12/01/12 08:56 PM

I have Nye Lubricant's sample kit. It consists of half a dozen damp(en)ing greases of different weights, each packed in a little plastic pillow pack, like the mustard and ketchup at fast-food restaurants. After reading the copious instructions, I selected the heaviest grease for my worm gears, and found it made... no difference! The mount had worked fine in warm weather until I cleaned the old gunk from the worm. Now, no adjustment has prevented backlash, to the point where it's hard to keep it on a target, so it appeared the new grease was the problem. I'll play again with the tension adjustment on the worm. Maybe I'm a lousy mechanic, or maybe my mount is a lemon!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TahoeNoob
sage

Reged: 10/31/12

Loc: Sierra Nevada
Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5549501 - 12/01/12 10:42 PM

Tomorrow I'll put it back together:

TahoeNoob
sage

Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: TahoeNoob]
      #5550922 - 12/02/12 07:49 PM

I still have some minor work to do on the tripod, I'm looking for some 5" mounting rings, and I haven't even started working on the actual scope yet... but I sure am having fun! (The best thing is, I used to dread just looking at the scope... now I see that it's got promise! I look forward to actually using it!)

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
      #5559068 - 12/07/12 11:06 AM

Quote:

I've been meaning to order from here:
http://www.nyelubricants.com/products/damping.shtml

At the bottom of the page "Damping grease sample kit" would be a good thing to start with to get the right one.

I have a tube of outboard motor gear lube that I think belonged to Christopher Columbus its dried out to the perfect viscosity and works well but its not the same as damping grease.

Robert

I received the sample kit. I'll see how it works.

Robert

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? *DELETED* *DELETED* new [Re: actionhac]
      #5559073 - 12/07/12 11:07 AM

Post deleted by actionhac

actionhac
Post Laureate

#5559088 - 12/07/12 11:15 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Nye asked a few application questions and sent this kit.
Fluorocarbon Gel 868. Very Light (VL) thru Very Heavy (VH).
Heavy is specified for microscopes, surveying equip. Very Heavy for focusing mechanisms.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
      #5559305 - 12/07/12 01:27 PM

Bob, I've seen these sample kits before and have heard that they are quite nice. I believe there are some strings on CN, Classic Forums, about these samples. I'd be very interested in your report. I have several scopes to do (as usual) and I'l likely make an actual volume order. I could just order a sample, but in all honesty, I'll have enough input with your report.

TahoeNoob
sage

Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: apfever]
      #5736348 - 03/16/13 01:48 PM

I'm still here. I've just been busy working on a bunch of other projects! Anyway, I had the tube black powder coated, and my brother made me a bracket to hold the mounting rings/clamps. (I wanted to have the clamps black powder coated too, but the guy wouldn't do it for beer... so that's not gonna happen!)

Does anybody know of a product that would allow me to powder coat the clamps in my oven?

A couple pictures:

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
      #5737174 - 03/16/13 08:28 PM

Very nice, looks great! Personally, I wouldn't powdercoat the mounting rings, I think it would be a bit too much black. Their natural color goes with the other shiny metal hardware on the mount.

desertrefugee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/07

Loc: Arizona
Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5737409 - 03/16/13 09:39 PM

Agreed. Very nice. Looks like you're done to me. Time to get it outside!

TahoeNoob
sage

Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: desertrefugee]
      #5737441 - 03/16/13 09:55 PM

I still need to clean the mirror, and put it together for the final time.

The mirror is in good shape, but it's very dust. (This scope has been sitting out in the garage for 40 years!) I'm a little bit afraid. I think I'm going to have to take the cell out of its mount and I've read that when you put it back in... you have to be careful not to make it too tight. There's also the whole "I don't want to damage the mirror" thing.

I found this in the Beginner's Forum. Is it reasonable?

cleaning a mirror has to be done carefully. The most important thing to understand is that telescope mirrors are first surface mirrors and the coating are quite soft. This is how I clean a mirror:

- Remove the cell from the telescope, remove the mirror from the mirror cell. Blow the dust off the mirror either with a bulb or with canned air. Do not use a brush.

- Prepare a clean sink or for a smaller mirror a large clean bowl. Rinse the mirror by running water across the surface. The soak the mirror in the bowl, clean cool water with a tad bit of dish soap. After some time, 10 to 20 minutes or less, rinse the mirror under the tap, rinse the mirror with distilled water and let dry.

If the mirror is still not clean, then I soak it and very carefully swab the surface with a bundle of about 6 surgical cotton balls. This is done under the water and the balls are just floated across the surface every so lightly.

Rinse, Rinse with distilled water. Tilt up in a safe place and let dry. A few remaining droplets may require dabbing dry.

Replace mirror in cell, making sure the clips are not pinching the mirror, reinstall the mirror cell in the scope, collimate and you are ready to go.

TOM KIEHL
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: apfever]
      #5737679 - 03/16/13 11:35 PM

I too have a Anchor scope like yours Niel, The research I found on the Anchor optical newt., said Edmoumds bought Anchor and then,,, Started production of the Pal JR pier mount and keep the tripod style also, after the sale of Anchor to Edmounds. Mine dates about 1954 and has a coated prism for a secondary mirror glued to a single stalk,that has a flat plate that is 90* to the stalk ,,Edmounds wanted that Anchor design for ther own.. so they bought Anchor,,and besides Anchor was right down the street from Edmounds.. I quess Edmounds wanted to be the BIG DOG on the block so to speak,,, SERVIVAL OF THE FITTEST

catboat
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/09

Loc: Maine
      #5738083 - 03/17/13 06:55 AM

Tube and mount look great! Nice work!

Your mirror cleaning instructions look fine to me. Just take your time and don't strive for perfection. You can always do it again.

I sometimes use my finger tips instead of cotton balls because fingers sense grit and you know to stop. Have cotton balls on hand in any case, plenty of them (and throw them away after each *very* light swish or dab).

During the initial rinse, clean the sides and back of the mirror so you don't contaminate your "soaking" water with grit.

Have no fear about removing your primary from its cell and remounting it correctly. Your retaining clips may need some fresh cork or felt between clip and mirror surface. Stick-on furniture pads work well. They may also need some cork/felt on the uprights to take up slack between the uprights and the side of the mirror. The usual rule of thumb on "how tight" is to place a file card between clips and mirror and the snug the clip down lightly.

Great to see that you've got this up and running again. Enjoy it.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: catboat]
      #5738151 - 03/17/13 08:20 AM

I use the same method to clean my mirrors. The only added wrinkle is that I get my wife's hair dryer to help chase off any remaining droplets after the distilled water rinse. With a small mirror this is probably overkill.

JimC

TahoeNoob
sage

Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5743359 - 03/19/13 04:18 PM

I'm getting ready to clean my mirror, but I've run into a minor problem...

When trying to remove the mirror from the cell, after removing the three hold-down clamps, I find that the mirror is glued to the cell. Is this normal? Should I try to pry the mirror out of the cell? I don't think I want to soak the whole cell... do I?

I suppose I could wedge a sharp knife into the crack and try to pop the mirror off the mount, but I don't know if that'll work. I don't want to hurt anything. Does anybody have any advice?

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5743388 - 03/19/13 04:29 PM

I've cleaned mirrors in the cell before. I know it's not recommended and certainly not optimum, but I think I'd rather do that than risk damaging the mirror by heating it or prying it off. Just dismantle the cell far enough to remove anything that can rust like nuts, bolts, or springs.

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5743410 - 03/19/13 04:36 PM

Definitely don't try to pop the mirror off. You will likely cause a clamshell fracture.

Assuming the glue is silicon, and you have a space between the cell and the glass, you can poke a sharp knife into each blob of glue and slice through it by angling the knife back and forth. Don't lever the knife against the glass or you will risk damage.

JimC

(If you get the mirror off, scrape the remaining glue with a straight edge razor blade. Don't ever glue it back on again! Use the mirror clips to gently hold the mirror in its cell.)

catboat
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/09

Loc: Maine
      #5743432 - 03/19/13 04:51 PM

Yikes! That's a tough one. Looking at the photo, it's a very thin layer of cement all around the circumference. It doesn't look like there's room to get even a knife blade in there. If the glue covers a large area away from the edge, this could be problematic.

You may have to clean the mirror in the cell -- easiest thing to do. But since it probably came from Edmund this way, others have surely encountered the same situation, and maybe someone can tell you the kind of glue, how to soften it, etc. Good luck on this.

TahoeNoob
sage

Re: 4 Inch Reflector... a fixer upper. Is it worth it? new [Re: catboat]
      #5743453 - 03/19/13 05:01 PM

Oh good, quick advice... but I'm going to sit around for a while to see what others have to say.

Thanks!

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland
      #5743513 - 03/19/13 05:29 PM

Well, Uncle Rod on a recent blog entry on cleaning mirrors says:

"What if, like more than a few imported telescopes, your mirror is glued into its cell by silicone stuff? You have two choices: clean the mirror in the cell or break the silicone loose (using a wire to cut it is usually the best way to get the mirror out). I prefer to clean the mirror in the cell if possible."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3908

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics