Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
Re: ALERT! Old abandone scope found new [Re: Masvingo]
      #5580442 - 12/20/12 11:07 AM

This thread is fascinating.... If *anyone* from the forum has the chance to get involved - you HAVE to take copious amounts of pics documenting every step.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Andy Taylor
Twisted, but in a Good Way

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Epsom - UK
Re: ALERT! Old abandone scope found new [Re: Escher]
      #5581039 - 12/20/12 04:46 PM

Too far away for me.

WOW! - can you imagine it restored??

Built like a locomotive.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland
      #5581288 - 12/20/12 07:16 PM

Have now had the following from the local historical society:

Quote:

It's the remains of an old Newtonian telescope built by Dr Hunter in his home in Braidwood, and the area is called Telescope Field. Now only the framework, missing the lenses and mirrors.

James

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5581372 - 12/20/12 08:11 PM

That's a start!

Hey, if there's someone there who can inquire about its availability, and nobody there wants it, I have in-laws in Cardiff (yes, still a hell of a long haul) who know how to ship heavy items to the US.

Still, it makes the most sense if someone local wants to restore it. But seriously, if nobody does, I do.

-Tim.

oldscope

Reged: 08/06/07

Loc: State of perpetual confusion
      #5581629 - 12/20/12 11:02 PM

Quote:

Have now had the following from the local historical society:

Quote:

It's the remains of an old Newtonian telescope built by Dr Hunter in his home in Braidwood, and the area is called Telescope Field. Now only the framework, missing the lenses and mirrors.

James

Nice work, James.

Now we are somewhere concrete. I suspect that Dr. Hunter is John R. S. Hunter-Selkirk, LLD (b. March 13, 1835, d. March 23, 1898) of Braidwood, a noted Scottish paleontologist and geologist. A good brief biography about him appears in History of the Geological Society of Glasgow, 1858-1908 by Geological Society of Glasgow, pp. 228-234 and it includes a fine portrait of him. There is no chance that he made this probable Calver telescope himself, methinks. He owned an estate called Daleville. I suspect that the manor house at Daleville may be the large house just South-East of the telescope location (per the photo GPS coordinates). The manor was about 300 yards from an historic ancient stone Tower called the Tower of Hallbar, where “Blind Harry” claimed that William Wallace stayed for three nights. It also shows up in Google Earth.

A very quick search turned up nothing about his astronomical endeavors though. Perhaps he was a member of the R.A.S. or the Royal Society? Or maybe he was simply a casual dilettante observer. He more or less married into money and if he could afford a small estate, he could afford a telescope, too.

Anyway, find the owner of that house and you've probably found the owner of the telescope. Then negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. I'd offer to take the eyesore off their land at a nominal fee.

Bart

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: ALERT! Old abandone scope found new [Re: oldscope]
      #5581647 - 12/20/12 11:11 PM

Given that the scope sits in "Telescope Field," it has become part of local lore. It may need to be fixed in place, or nearby. Is there a nearby school, club, or historical society in need of a restored telescope?

oldscope

Re: ALERT! Old abandone scope found new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5581654 - 12/20/12 11:17 PM

Quote:

Given that the scope sits in "Telescope Field," it has become part of local lore. It may need to be fixed in place, or nearby. Is there a nearby school, club, or historical society in need of a restored telescope?

Poppycock. Trade it for an old tractor and call it "Old Rusty Tractor field".

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
      #5581664 - 12/20/12 11:22 PM

The locals may be unwilling to part with it, yet may accept or encourage its restoration if it stays in the area. Otherwise, ship it to Tim53!

TahoeNoob
sage

Reged: 10/31/12

Loc: Sierra Nevada
Re: ALERT! Old abandone scope found new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5581699 - 12/20/12 11:46 PM

At what point are you guys going to figure out that at some point there won't be enough old scoopes to go around, and Tim already has his share. I'm thinking that (maybe) it's about time he takes up geetar, or something.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: ALERT! Old abandone scope found new [Re: TahoeNoob]
      #5581706 - 12/20/12 11:52 PM

Nah, my son's the guitar player (and builder)!

...but I must admit that I do have plenty of telescopes.

I can't imagine there isn't someone local to that scope who'll want to save it. If there isn't, though, it's "period" for our house:

El Mio

-Tim.

JustinO

Reged: 10/08/12

#5581715 - 12/21/12 12:01 AM

Bart, you're falling down, you missed this about Dr. Hunter's mentor:

"Dr. Slimon was not only an enthusiast in geology, but
a devoted astronomer and an admirable amateur artist,
and at one time gave two lectures in the City Hall,
entitled " Astronomical Geology." "

http://www.carlukehistory.co.uk/stories/story.php?page=61&title=Dr_Hunter...

That explains why the telescope is pointing down.

JustinO

Re: ALERT! Old abandone scope found new [Re: JustinO]
      #5581746 - 12/21/12 12:28 AM

I have found an image of Dr. Hunter (it really is of him!):

[image removed by order of moderators.]

JustinO

#5581762 - 12/21/12 12:47 AM

OBITUARIES

John Egbert Streatham Hunter-Selkirk, who died on March 23,
in the sixty-third year of his age, at his residence, Daleville House,
Braidwood, near Carluke, Lanarkshire, was a well-known antiquary
and geologist. From his rich collections he had made large donations
to the Museums of Kilmarnock and Airdrie, and he also bequeathed
some to different Institutions. For many years he had been a member
of the Koyal Physical Society of Edinburgh, and of the Geological
Societies of Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5581788 - 12/21/12 01:34 AM

Dr Hunter seems to have been a man of many interests: from the FutureMuseum site:

Quote:

John Hunter-Selkirk
The 'Braidwood Collection' amassed by John Hunter-Selkirk was often described as "one of the most important ever brought together in this country by a private individual". The collection is wide-ranging and includes fossils, antiquities and early printed books. Hunter-Selkirk was one of the best known scientists of his day and had many famous friends in the fields of science and art.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5581844 - 12/21/12 03:27 AM

Some further information found on a cached web page about the Airdrie Public Observatory - Airdrie is a town about 10 miles NNW of Braidwood:

Quote:

1894 - DR HUNTER SELKIRK

When the library was opened in 1894, it was Dr Hunter-Selkirk from Carluke who was the main contributor to the new museum of which it is written, “many cases were filled” – the cases presumably being display cases for the newly acquired collection. Dr Hunter Selkirk is arguably the final catalyst that brought about the creation of the observatory and with it an astronomical society, which continues in Airdrie to the present day.
A plaque was presented to Dr Hunter-Selkirk from the town council Library Committee of the Burgh of Airdrie. The plaque states “In commemoration of the valuable gift of part of the Braidwood Collection to the museum Dr Hunter Selkirk of Daleville, Carluke”
The link between the observatory and Dr Hunter Selkirk was Mr Robert Dunlop. It was Robert Dunlop who brought to the attention of Dr Hunter-Selkirk the new Airdrie Museum being created.

James

grendel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/12/09

Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK
      #5581869 - 12/21/12 04:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Poppycock. Trade it for an old tractor and call it "Old Rusty Tractor field".

there are those that would be just as interested in an old rusty tractor to take away and restore as we are in an old scope...
Grendel

oldscope

#5582070 - 12/21/12 08:50 AM

Quote:

OBITUARIES

John Egbert Streatham Hunter-Selkirk, who died on March 23,
in the sixty-third year of his age, at his residence, Daleville House,
Braidwood, near Carluke, Lanarkshire, was a well-known antiquary
and geologist. From his rich collections he had made large donations
to the Museums of Kilmarnock and Airdrie, and he also bequeathed
some to different Institutions. For many years he had been a member
of the Koyal Physical Society of Edinburgh, and of the Geological
Societies of Edinburgh and Glasgow.

His name is more correctly John Robert Strathern Hunter-Selkirk. His membership in the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh would also place him in the company of astronomers as well as geologists and other naturalists. Obviously he had varied scientific interests ... a classic gentleman-naturalist who didn't seem to have to work for a living. Nice gig if you can get (marry) it.

Bart

oldscope

#5582079 - 12/21/12 08:56 AM

Quote:

Some further information found on a cached web page about the Airdrie Public Observatory - Airdrie is a town about 10 miles NNW of Braidwood:

Quote:

1894 - DR HUNTER SELKIRK

When the library was opened in 1894, it was Dr Hunter-Selkirk from Carluke who was the main contributor to the new museum of which it is written, “many cases were filled” – the cases presumably being display cases for the newly acquired collection. Dr Hunter Selkirk is arguably the final catalyst that brought about the creation of the observatory and with it an astronomical society, which continues in Airdrie to the present day.
A plaque was presented to Dr Hunter-Selkirk from the town council Library Committee of the Burgh of Airdrie. The plaque states “In commemoration of the valuable gift of part of the Braidwood Collection to the museum Dr Hunter Selkirk of Daleville, Carluke”
The link between the observatory and Dr Hunter Selkirk was Mr Robert Dunlop. It was Robert Dunlop who brought to the attention of Dr Hunter-Selkirk the new Airdrie Museum being created.

James

Once again, nice work James! I haven't been able to find anything published by Hunter related to astronomy so it appears that his interest was mainly as an amateur.

Bart

tim53
Postmaster

#5582096 - 12/21/12 09:06 AM

Interesting coinky dink. I'm a geologist as well. ...but I've always had to work for a living!

Since JRSH-S seems to be so well-known and locally-regarded, it seems all the more sensible that someone local should save the scope. I wonder if the original optics have survived somewhere and can be found?

-Tim.

oldscope

Re: ALERT! Old abandone scope found [Re: Masvingo]
      #5582114 - 12/21/12 09:15 AM

Quote:

Have had the following reply from the Airdrie Astronomical Society:

Quote:

Thanks for your email. It's very interesting.

I have asked around and one of our former curators is doing a wee bit of research into the story. As soon as I hear back I will let you know what we find out.

Thanks for letting us know about it.

James

James,

Considering Airdrie Astronomical Association/Airdrie Public Observatory' proximity and the very strong historical connection to Dr. Hunter, it would seem a natural fit that they would want to rescue the telescope from its eventual demise. They certainly have a real sense of stewardship for old telescopes - they have a beautiful Cooke telescope that is well cared for! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8291201.stm

"Initially, the local group of astronomers met in the first of Airdrie's public observatories (now the Airdrie Arts Centre on Anderson Street)."

Perhaps they might display it at this Arts center ... sorry, centre?

Bart

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7961

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics