Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland
Celestron C8 Registry
      #5607904 - 01/06/13 08:42 AM Attachment (253 downloads)

Out of interest, I’ve been collecting serial numbers and, where reported sale/purchase date and any production date shown on the RA drive motors. The attached table has been built up from postings on CN, a few Astromart ads and a table on the Stargazers Lounge forum. Following suggestions made during discussions on another thread I have started this thread to serve as a registry for the C8s.

There are three formats of SN:
  • early tricolours had a simple sequential serial number stamped on a plate attached to the mount base (some OTAs which were sold separately had their own separate SN sequence with the SN stamped on a plate attached to the OTA)
  • some time around the 3rd quarter 1972 the SN changed to a QxxxxY format where Q gives the quarter in which the 'scope was produced, xxxx is the sequential number since (probably) start of C8 production and Y is the last digit of the year of production
  • around the time of the change from Celestron Pacific to Celestron International (late 1977/early 1978) the SN changed to a new style which, for C8s was 8xxxxx, the 8 signifying a C8 and the rest a sequential number with no production date indication.

There are some anomalies in the list (marked with an exclamation mark in the left hand column):
  • The Stargazers Lounge list reported a SN of 4936 (sale date 1973) – this however seems too high to fit into the early SN sequence of just a sequential number and also doesn’t tie in with the first date type SN of 37842 which suggests that the 784th C8 was made in the 3rd qtr of 1972. It may be that the last digit (which gives the year and in some case was spaced apart from the rest of the number) was omitted and the full number should be 49362
  • orion61’s sandcast C8 with a SN of 223139 – this doesn’t fit in at all with the SN formats but as that scope may have been built as a ‘special’ for the use of Leo Henzl (Celestron VP Marketing) it may have been given a different style of SN
  • SN 1 2563 4 has a sequential number which is out of step with the general sequence – it is hard to be certain from the picture of the SN plate in the thread which gave this number but it is possible that the number is actually 4 2563 4 which may fit better although there is still a bit of a jump to the only reported SN for the following quarter: 1 29845 5?

With regard to the later 8xxxxx series that came in about the time of the change from Celestron Pacific to Celestron International as there is no indication of a production date it is hard to be certain whether the sequential number is a continuous sequence or whether there are breaks in it. The highest number I have seen is 956651 which, if the sequence is continuous, suggests that 156,651 C8s since the change had been made by the time that ‘scope was produced.

With the later 8xxxxx style SNs it helps to have the date code stamped on the RA drive motor(s) – in the few cases where I have found a motor date as well it seems as if some ‘scopes might have sat in stock for a while before being sold – of course it could also be that the motors sat in stock, either at the manufacturer or at Celestron for some time before being used.

Any corrections, clarifications, additions gratefully received!

7 Jan 2013 Edited: revised table with additional information highlighted in blue and column to record corrector SNs where known

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Masvingo]
      #5608337 - 01/06/13 01:07 PM

Nice work James! I find this kind of information fascinating, which is why I did it for Cave mirrors.

I have always been curious as to when the change from sand cast to die cast forks occurred.

Again, great job!

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: PiSigma]
      #5608355 - 01/06/13 01:15 PM

Thanks for your kind words Jon. I did get inspiration from your Cave Registry which is a valuable reference for Cave 'scopes.

Yes, I find it fascinating too. When I get time I want to try and revisit the comments, particularly for the orange tube era, to better record any change in the mount / tube characteistics.

James

Edited by Masvingo (01/06/13 01:17 PM)

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5608384 - 01/06/13 01:32 PM

Im glad you listened to my suggestion in the other thread!
I TRUE professional grade telescope, and having found the Henzl is a Dream come true!
This thread will be at the top of my favorites!
Way to go, taking the time and doing the work to make a comment (wish) come true!

Brian RisleyModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/04/06

Loc: SW Florida
      #5608387 - 01/06/13 01:32 PM

What is interesting is I came upon my canceled check for getting the scope repaired in 1979, and I noted 253 on the check as the serial #. 458 is the optics number. I lost the serial number plate when I stripped it down back in 1980. I am now not not sure which the unit really was.
if 253, it is 70/71, if 458, it is 71/72. I would be curious if anyone in the lower hundreds has compared serial # with optics # (check edge of corrector or back of primary.) This may give me a clue as to what is correct.
Brian

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Brian Risley]
      #5608393 - 01/06/13 01:38 PM

My optics on Tinky have 135 engraved in them - same as the serial number.

-Tim.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: orion61]
      #5608728 - 01/06/13 04:10 PM

Thanks Larry. It's a good exercise for the mind trying to untangle what Celestron did with serial numbers!

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Brian Risley]
      #5608742 - 01/06/13 04:16 PM

Thanks for the update Brian. Similar to the position with SN #1, having different numbers for the optics compared to the mounts adds a further level of complexity.

Hopefully we can get a few more data points which might make the picture clearer (or muddier)!

James

Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/09

Loc: Clayton, NC
      #5608772 - 01/06/13 04:33 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

Thanks Masvingo (and Jon) for compiling this data. I find it all very interesting as well.

How about OTA vs. optics s/n's here's a black tube C8, presumably early 80's, I picked up as an OTA. I believe it was sold/used as a telephoto lens.

OTA s/n 828161

Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Compressorguy]
      #5608777 - 01/06/13 04:37 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

Primary s/n 5478, note the 81 or 18 number on the masking tape next to the focuser linkage. What is that for??

Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

#5608789 - 01/06/13 04:40 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

and matching corrector #5478. The OTA appears to have never been apart before.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5610558 - 01/07/13 04:44 PM

Thanks for the additional SN Scott. I have revised the table attached to my original post to reflect this and the amended SN for Brian's scope and have also added an extra column to record the optics SN where known. I'll try and revisit the original source postings when I have time to see if I can pick up any further optics SNs.

James

magnus
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/17/04

Loc: Visby, Sweden
      #5611377 - 01/08/13 05:32 AM

James!
Thanks for your great and intressting work!
/Magnus 57N.

IcecreamLtDan

Reged: 06/21/12

Loc: Jacksonville, N.C.
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: magnus]
      #5612018 - 01/08/13 02:09 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

Here's mine if you'd like to add it to your registry.

johntrob
sage

Reged: 03/14/11

Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: IcecreamLtDan]
      #5613177 - 01/09/13 06:13 AM

I appreciate the work you are putting into this, maybe it will be put up as a sticky so it is easily accesible and can be kept updated.

starman876
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: VA
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: johntrob]
      #5613391 - 01/09/13 09:31 AM

I have a orange C8 from the early 80's that I was using last night. With the scope collimated and defocused on a bright star I see very nice rings. However, it almost looks like a very thin waterfall slooping down towards the center on one side. Is this an indication the secondary screws are to tight? I have never seen this before in any orange C8 I have had and I have had a few.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: IcecreamLtDan]
      #5614881 - 01/10/13 03:26 AM

Thanks IcecreamLtDan, I'll add it in, the more the merrier! Can you see any dates on the drive base motors?

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5614884 - 01/10/13 03:33 AM

Tak Magnus.

Thanks John.

My intention is to try and keep the list updated as and when I get additional info so any and all contribution gratefully received and the more info the better, eg motor date, optics SN, purchase date, etc.

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: starman876]
      #5614891 - 01/10/13 03:48 AM

Hi Johann

I'm not sure what would cause the waterfall you're seeing so will leave that for the experts. Does the location reverse when you defocus on the other side of the focus point?

What is the SN of your C8, I'm not sure I've got it on the list? Also, have you got any dates on the motors and do you know the corrector SN?

Thanks

James

Bill Griffith
sage

Reged: 08/12/09

Loc: Ca.
      #5615097 - 01/10/13 09:13 AM

James

Thanks for the work you have done and will do on the C8 registry.
S/N 31 currently has the original optics. These will need to be replaced.

Happy Anniversary to you joining the group, we are fortunate. It's an easy one for me to remember.

Thanks

Bill

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Bill Griffith]
      #5615120 - 01/10/13 09:38 AM

Thanks Bill. I see what you mean, many happy returns.

I'm sorry to hear about #31's optics, I wish her a speedy recovery.

James

starman876
Post Laureate

#5615286 - 01/10/13 11:15 AM

Yes, on other side the watefall flips. I might relax the secondary screws and readjust and see what happens.

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
      #5615334 - 01/10/13 11:40 AM

Quote:

I have a orange C8 from the early 80's that I was using last night. With the scope collimated and defocused on a bright star I see very nice rings. However, it almost looks like a very thin waterfall slooping down towards the center on one side. Is this an indication the secondary screws are to tight? I have never seen this before in any orange C8 I have had and I have had a few.

What your seeing is warm air coming out the top of the baffle tube.

- Dave

starman876
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: DAVIDG]
      #5615490 - 01/10/13 01:01 PM

Thanks Dave. did not even think of that. I did let it cool down to see if it was related , but when I got back out the corrector had dewed over. i will try it again inside with my artificial star and see if I get the same results.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
      #5615532 - 01/10/13 01:23 PM

Hi James.

I was looking over my file and found a few things that may or may not be useful:

Motor date 6-75
Sandcast fork/mount, sandcast wedge and sandcast tripod.
I no longer own this scope, sold it a few years ago. I wish I hadn't but I did. I have no record of the buyer.

Motor date 10-77
Diecast fork/mount, diecast wedge and diecast tripod only, NO OTA.
I still own.

Robert

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: actionhac]
      #5621269 - 01/13/13 05:20 PM

Hi Robert

Thanks for additional info (apologies for the delay in responding, we have our sons visiting for a few days and I've also just picked up a 1981 orange tube C5 so have been a bit distracted).

Your mount serial no. of 22908 is interesting - is it Celestron Pacific or International? It doesn't seem to fit with either the date format of the 8xxxxx format - do you know if it was bought new as a mount only?

James

actionhac
Post Laureate

#5621385 - 01/13/13 06:22 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Hi James.
The seller kept the optical tube and mounted it on a GEM. The serial is correct #22908. I thought I'd better recheck just in case. And the motors are 10-77. It is fitted with Roger Tuthill accessories.
If Mr. Tuthill bought the telescopes from Celestron, added his custom parts and sold them, would this explain what you are finding with this serial number?

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5622881 - 01/14/13 03:27 PM

Hi Robert

I'm not sure what to make of that number, it has the appearance of being in the date format, especially with the last number being slightly apart from the others but would suggest a date of the 2nd quarter of 1978? I had assumed that by then they had changed to the 8xxxxx style numbers and also that it would have been a Celestron International label - I'm not sure when the change from Pacific to International occurred but the C5/C8 manual on Robert Provin's site has a date of Jan 1978 and is a Celestron International publication.

Having said that, I know of two C5 date style serial numbers which are from the first quarter of 1978, one (#135858) is apparently Celestron Pacific according to the Astromart ad whilst the other (#136588), with 11/77 motors from a CN posting has a Celestron International dust cap for the corrector although the SN label looks to be Celestron Pacific - I can't quite make it out.

So it looks as though the date formats ran on into 1978' possibly for two quarters. As they were already up to #391207 by the third quarter 1977 did they start round again at 1 when they got to 9999 (hence the 208 in your number although I would have expected that they might have produced more by the 2nd quarter)? Or did they use a separate sequence for 'scopes produced for certain retailers like Tuthill? There are instances of unusual SNs appearing on 'special' C8s, eg Larry's sandcast C8 reputed to be built for Leo Henzl, Celestron Marketing VP and another C8 that was handpicked for a dealer in 1979 but had SN 909961.

Any one got any other thoughts? Any other 1978 models with the older date format SNs out there?

James

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
      #5623030 - 01/14/13 04:36 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

James I'll add my just purchased C8 plus here. #819750. Thanks Bob

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: bob midiri]
      #5623037 - 01/14/13 04:38 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

And a picture of OTA and drive base

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5623041 - 01/14/13 04:42 PM

Thanks Bob.

James

desertrefugee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/07

Loc: Arizona
      #5623216 - 01/14/13 06:46 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Guess I might as well register my recently-acquired Orange Tube. Although produced later in the run, it still has the round base/dual spur drive.

(By the way, it's a pretty danged good performer. I've had it out several times. Precisely collimated, it renders ole Jove in fine detail. It also tracks quite well).

S/N 807397
Motors appear dated February 1980:

kansas skies
sage

Reged: 12/02/12

Loc: Kansas, USA
      #5623905 - 01/15/13 07:25 AM

James,

My orange C8 has the same Celestron Pacific label and serial number arrangement as shown in actionhac's picture. The serial number of mine is "31xx 8". I might add that the drive base does contain a full serial number, but I tend to be a little paranoid about publishing details that are too specific. Still, this should be enough information with which to build a database. Notice the space between the four digit serial number and the "8". The motors on mine are also dated 10-77.

I have what I assume is the original "Celestron International" warranty card and a "Celestron International" catalog that are both dated 10/77. From this, I would assume that the switch to Celestron International probably occurred in October of 1977 and that the printed material was released at the same time.

It's possible that this odd arrangement of serial numbers was transitional and employed in the process of using up existing inventory. I read somewhere that the lone 8 to the right of the serial number indicated 1978, which I thought was a fair assumption.

I ran across a picture of a Celestron C22 somewhere on the internet showing a similar label with a four digit serial number followed by a space and then the number 72, which probably refers to a date of 1972. This would indicate that Celestron used this serial number format at an earlier time.

Bill

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: kansas skies]
      #5625606 - 01/16/13 03:17 AM

Bill

Thanks for that, another piece in the jigsaw, just not sure where to put it! I guess a 31xx 8 SN destroys my idea that the date style numbers ran on into the 2nd quarter of 1978! (Although it still looks like C5 Date style SNs ran on into the 1st quarter of 1978) Looks like both your number and Robert's 22xx 8 SN signify something different by the first digit but what?

Ah well, back to the drawing board!

James

Edited by Masvingo (01/16/13 03:21 AM)

kansas skies
sage

#5625727 - 01/16/13 07:40 AM

James,

I was reading over what I wrote here and thought I might need to clarify a couple of things. The warranty card that I mentioned is more of a stock warranty certificate and 10-77 was the printing date. There is nothing hand-written on the card to indicate when the certificate was issued. As for the catalog, the 10-77 date is both the printing date and apparently the effective date. The significance here is just to indicate that the Celestron company was referring to itself as "Celestron International" by October of 1977. I might add that I purchased my C8 a couple of years ago and this printed material was included in the purchase, so I would have to assume that if this printed material is original to my C8 (which I believe it was), that my C8 was sold during or after October of 1977. Still, it has the Celestron Pacific label, so one would be lead to believe that they either didn't have Celestron International labels made up yet, or they were using up existing inventory.

As for the odd serial number, I had assumed that the lone "8" signified the year of manufacture, but it could just as easily signify that the serial number was assigned to a C8. Investigation into how Celestron was assigning serial numbers to other models during this period might clarify this. And, if the "8" signifies the model, then my C8 might have been manufactured prior to October of 1977 and sold later.

Bill

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5626701 - 01/16/13 06:03 PM

Bill

The two C5 SN's in a date style format that show a production date in the 1st quarter of 1978 both appear to have Celestron Pacific SN plates on the base so it does look as though they were using up old inventory after the name change. One of the C5s is stated to have a Celestron International cover for the corrector although this could have been added later.

The gap before the 8 in your number is suggestive of a year indicator and if produced early in 1978 having 10/77 dated motors is not inconsistent as 'just in time' inventory control was probably not common then.

Going by the C5 numbers it would seem that it may just be coincidence that the change in number format occurred around the time of the change in name but it would be nice to have a definite date for the change. It would also be nice to have some more SNs from late 1977 and early 1978 to see if some of the mists might part.

James

Edited by Masvingo (01/16/13 06:04 PM)

kansas skies
sage

#5626876 - 01/16/13 07:51 PM

James

I guess the 10-77 date on the motors would have to make that the earliest manufacture date of my C8. I find this all very interesting and wish you luck in your investigation. I look forward to seeing how it all unfolds.

Bill

starman876
Post Laureate

#5627033 - 01/16/13 09:15 PM

My C8 is serial #816349
both motors are dated 6-10-80

Rick Huber
sage

Reged: 01/03/04

Loc: South of Cincy Ohio
      #5627594 - 01/17/13 08:26 AM

Keep in mind everyone that motor dates are not necessarily OTA dates - They purchased motors in lot sizes so motor manufacturing dates could easily predate actual scope build dates..

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Rick Huber]
      #5627923 - 01/17/13 11:45 AM

Something I thought is interesting is a Classic 8 I own.
Celestron made this model starting in 1989 or 1990.
The serial number is 851144, the motor date is 1-83, 1983!
By 1990 Celestron had gone away from 110VAC drives and obviously were using old stock for the basic Classic 8 model. I'm assuming this is what took place. And the Classic 8 uses only 1 motor, with spur gear drive.
I know its the original motor because the previous owner had never plugged it in!

Robert

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5628533 - 01/17/13 05:36 PM

Thanks Johann and Robert.

It's great to get some more 8xxxxx style SNs with motor dates. Even though the dates aren't definitive given that they could have sat around in inventory for an unknown time (7 years or so in the case of Robert's!) they do serve as a guide to the earliest date that a 'scope could have been made and other than a known original sale date there is precious little else to go on with these later numbers.

James

John Higbee

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Virginia
      #5628998 - 01/17/13 10:18 PM

James - with respect to the "Celestron Pacific versus Celestron International " discussion, I think I can push the transition date earlier than the 77-78 time frame. The Celestron catalog that came with my C-8 in June 1976 is labeled "Celestron International" on the back page and "GC 76-1 - Effective January 1976" at the bottom of the front page. Also have an operating manual showing Celestron International and the Jan 76 date in the same documentation package.

Different note - my fork on the mount is a solid casting (no holes, just the cast-in circles with two vertical lines through them). My June 76 date may thus be very close to the transition point from "pierced forks" to "solid forks".

John

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: John Higbee]
      #5629312 - 01/18/13 03:27 AM

John

Thanks for that, most interesting. It looks like the name change happened earlier than I originally thought. It's also good to get a closer fix on when the change in the mounts occurred. i'm hoping, if I have time, to update the SN list at weekend so this is good to know.

James

Roger64

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Syracuse, NY
      #5629543 - 01/18/13 09:25 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

John,
Here are the numbers from a scope I just acquired. The original owner said he bought it in the fall of 1976.

3 6308 6

Roger

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Roger64]
      #5629924 - 01/18/13 01:06 PM

Roger, thanks for the number, a fall 1976 purchase date ties in with the SN which suggests that your 'scope was produced in the 3rd quarter of 1976 and, barring the odd 'special' was the 6,308th C8 made.

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Masvingo]
      #5632996 - 01/20/13 11:13 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

I've updated the register for all the latest additions including some more results from Googling. Because of the CN file size limits I've only I've only shown the top part of the list (down to the start of the 8xxxxx series numbers) in the attached image and there is a link to the full register below:

Celestron C8 Registry

It now looks like there was a short lived SN sequence used for 1978 which bridged the ending of the QxxxxY date type format, which was already up to #9,107 (#3 9120 7) by the 3rd quarter of 1977 and the start of the 8xxxxx format which, based on production numbers, I don't think can have started before 1979, eg #801697 which was reported as being purchased from Edwin Hirsch Co in 1979. Therefore it looks like the 5 digit numbers like those reported by Robert (actionhac) (#22908) and kansas skies (31xx8) - which both have, incidentally, Oct 1977 motor dates - come from 1978 using an abbreviated version of the date sequence (xxxxY) omitting the quarter indicator.

Also it looks like the change from sand cast forks to die cast occurred sometime during the 1st and 2nd quarters of 1976, Jon's (PiSigma) C8 with sand cast forks made in the 1st qtr and John Higbee's C8 with die cast forks made in the 2nd quarter.

Also, as John has noted, the Celestron International name was at least being used from the start of 1976.

James

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
      #5633410 - 01/20/13 03:08 PM

Millionaire's Orange C8, string in Classics forum some where. Serial #467936. Smooth velvet tone (not pebble finished), die cast arms (not sand cast), both Synchron motors have the exact same band writing as follows with underlines representing spaces and dashes are actual dashes:

610_110V_60CY_3W_1_RPH_(SA symbol)_353731-2WA-4-6_9-76

Any other questions about this one or the Ultima8, just ask.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: apfever]
      #5634949 - 01/21/13 01:14 PM

Thanks Neil, I remember that thread and will add the SN into the next revision of the list.

Your Ultima is a 1989 model isn't it?

James

Ham Radio
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/18/09

Loc: Baxter, Mn
      #5659822 - 02/03/13 11:48 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Well I finally got out to the garage to get the serial number off of my 1977 (at least that is what I was told) C-8. It is 471896.

Here is a picture of the scope.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Ham Radio]
      #5660049 - 02/03/13 02:02 PM

GD OM

Thanks Rod, that's a nice looking scope, I really like the look of the orange tube Celestrons. I had picked up your serial number as 471886 from an earlier post so it's good to have the correction. The number indicates a production date in the 4th quarter of 1976 which fits in with a 1977 sale date.

73 de James

Dennis53121

Reged: 08/28/12

#5660161 - 02/03/13 03:03 PM

I have a black tube C8 ser #873982 and I am not sure but I believe it was manufactured 1989 or 1990.

Dennis

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Dennis53121]
      #5660302 - 02/03/13 04:28 PM

Thanks Dennis, it's good to have another data point later on in the 8xxxxx series, I'll put it in the next revision of the register.

James

Thomas Parr
journeyman

Reged: 02/04/13

#5666091 - 02/06/13 09:52 PM

824523 On my pebbled orange tube.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Thomas Parr]
      #5666440 - 02/07/13 03:35 AM

Thanks Thomas, I will add your 'scope to the next revision of the register. If you get a chance it would be nice to know the date on the two drive motors in the base - usually shown as a numeric month and two year digits somewhere on the motor.

James

SteveNH
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Millbrae, CA
      #5667673 - 02/07/13 07:04 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Hi James,

Here is my orange C8 for your list, serial no. 807390, from the early 80's(?). Very good optics. The motors seem to be dated 11/79.

Steve

Michael2

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: Australia
Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: SteveNH]
      #5667986 - 02/07/13 10:31 PM

G'day James

My Orange Tube C8 is Serial Number 800773 and the one Motor date that I can see is 9-78 (September 1978).
I purchased it second hand in about 1980.
It now has a new lease of life on an Ioptron Mini Tower MK2.
Really nice optics!
Keep up the good work on the Registry

Michael

Australia.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Michael2]
      #5668303 - 02/08/13 03:17 AM

G'day Michael

Thanks for your serial number and the motor date - it's good to have a motor date for one of the early 8xxxxx series C8s although there's always the caveat about not knowing how long the motors sat around in stock. However, going by the numbers to hand it looks like the 8xxxxx series came in in 1979 which would make yours an early 1979 model I guess.

Thanks also for your kind words about the registry.

Enjoy the Southern skies, I grew up in Africa and still miss Crux and Omega Centauri and Scorpio!

James

SteveNH
professor emeritus

#5669424 - 02/08/13 05:01 PM

Hello again, James - I hope you didn't miss my entry (with the photos), just above Michael's from Australia - just checkin'!

Steve

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5669452 - 02/08/13 05:19 PM

Steve, my apologies, I don't know how I missed that when I checked the thread this morning! Doesn't say much for my observational skills. Thanks for the prompt, it's great to have another early 8xxxxx one with motor dates. I've seen reports which suggest production got up to around 5,000 per year and your motor dates would be consistent with this (given the unknown of how long they sat on a shelf before being used) and the start of the 8xxxxx series in 1979 as your serial number would then point to a production date roughly around mid 1980.

Thanks again and my apologies for the oversight.

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5669464 - 02/08/13 05:25 PM

Hi again Steve

I was just adding your details to the list and I see that desertrefugee's C8 is very close, with a serial of 807397 but with motors dated 2/80.

James

SteveNH
professor emeritus

#5669679 - 02/08/13 07:57 PM

Hey James, I'm just grateful that someone is willing to go through this laborious task just so we can all enjoy the outcome - like the close serial numbers we come across, and other interesting patterns we discover, which are all just awesome. Thanks again!

Steve

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
      #5671724 - 02/10/13 01:41 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

May as well add my Orage tube C8 to the list.

There are a bunch of pictures of it in this thread here (starting about half way down), including a shot of the first page of the manual where the serial number is noted as "173857" next to a "1977".

My particular C8 is pre secondary-holder-label and yet does not have a serial number label on the base. I do not know if this was a transition between the locations of the S/N or if the label on the base was simply lost by a previous owner. In any case I have no reason to doubt the number writen in the manual.

There is also this partially eligible etching on the back of the OTA but I have a feeling that was added sometime *after* celestron sold it... :shurg:

Edit: Realized the etched number may be the original owner's driver's license so in the interests of privacy I have removed the image and replaced it with the front page of the manual instead.

Edited by Falcon- (02/10/13 07:18 PM)

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5671777 - 02/10/13 03:36 AM

Thanks Falcon.

My guess is that the previous owner lost or removed the serial number tag that should be on the base. The serial number in the manual is consistent with the 1977 date as it gives a production period of the 1st quarter of 1977.

I'ld agree with your thoughts on the etching on the cell, maybe the previous owner's initials, can't make out what is before the number on the bottom row though.

From the pictures on the other thread it looks like you got an excellent find with all the accessories, I wish something like that would follow me home!

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5671940 - 02/10/13 08:05 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Hi all

I've added all the recent submissions (7 in total from this thread) plus a couple of SN's from the CN classifieds and 4 from Ebay ads to the register.

As before, because of the file size limits I've only shown the top part of the list in the attached image but there is a link to the full register below:

Celestron C8 Registry

My very grateful thanks to all the contributors

James

SteveNH
professor emeritus

#5672452 - 02/10/13 02:24 PM

Thank you James, for this meticulously detailed chart - I can finally get a good idea of the manufacture date of my model. I wanted to point out a typo for my orange tube 807390 listing, where I think you meant to type 11/79, not 11/90, as the motor date.

Steve

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5672495 - 02/10/13 02:43 PM

Apologies again, Steve, yes, finger trouble on my part, I've now corrected the register. Thanks for spotting that.

I'm pleased to have got so many numbers for the register, the more numbers the easier it is to spot the patterns and to try and tie down dates when changes happened.

James

Michael2

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: Australia
Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5672640 - 02/10/13 04:24 PM

Sean, I wonder if that engraving is BCDL, standing for British Columbia Drivers licence and then the licence number. May be the previous owner's method of ID in case of theft.

Michael
Australia.

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Michael2]
      #5672906 - 02/10/13 07:21 PM

Michael: You are likely right! Thanks for pointing out the blindingly obvious. With that in mind it does appear to be the correct length for a drivers license.

Hmp. I actually did google BCDL and saw BC Drivers License in the results but did not clue in. Though I think the original owner is no longer around I have edited my earlier post to swap the image out.

Blake Andrews
sage

Reged: 07/31/08

Loc: Iowa
      #5715260 - 03/05/13 08:09 PM

Hi All,

Ok, I'll contribute my two C8's...

Super C8 Plus (Very Early Model)
- Original Owner
- Serial Number = 824733
- Purchased in the Summer of 1983 from the Science and Education Center, Wichita, KS
- Starbright Coatings on both the primary and secondary
- All Black with Byers Drive – Black Faceplate with Clear Window
- Ribbed Real Cell
- Side Numbered Setting Circles (as found on earlier scopes)

Celestar 8 Deluxe
- Serial Number = 916277
- Original Purchase Date/Location Unknown (2nd Owner)
- Starbright Coatings
- Fastar Secondary

Hope this info helps. As I understand it, my Super C8 Plus was one of the first Super C8 Plus scopes.

Cheers!
Blake

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
      #5716043 - 03/06/13 09:36 AM

Quote:

...the previous owner lost or removed the serial number tag that should be on the base.

I had hoped my thread about preserving serial number plates from trashed bases would go viral, but it has received hardly any response.

Is begging allowed on the forums? Please look at it? Please? PLEASE? PLEASE?

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Blake Andrews]
      #5716448 - 03/06/13 01:49 PM

Hi Blake,

Thanks for the details on your two scopes, always good to get a bit more data.

James

J. Barnes

Reged: 04/11/09

Loc: Kalispell, Montana
      #5718529 - 03/07/13 02:13 PM

I'd like to submit my Super C8 Plus: 835893
Drive motor stamp: 8505
Owners manual (inside cover): First Edition July 1985

Thanks,
John

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: J. Barnes]
      #5718547 - 03/07/13 02:22 PM

Thanks for your details John, it's great to get an 8xxxxx with motor dates, and supported by the handbook.
That gives a good date point in that 835xxx numbers can't be earlier than July 1985.

James

DouglasR

Reged: 11/17/11

#5718647 - 03/07/13 03:13 PM

Hello everyone, this my first post , so I hope I'm doing this right. I wanted to add my orange tube C8. The number on the secondary cover is 816370, and the ac motors are stamped 10-80. I'm not sure of the purchase date, but I'm guessing maybe fall of 82 by the chart you are putting together. By the way it has the un-adjustable tripod if that helps. I have been reading the great forums for awhile and wanted to jump in.
Thanks, Doug

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: DouglasR]
      #5719251 - 03/07/13 08:11 PM

Welcome, DouglasR! A fine first post. Your "non-adjustable" tripod will also help date the scope. Only the early C8s have them. The legs are not permanently bent into their shapes, but are made of spring steel and held under tremendous tension. When the bottoms of the legs are then tensioned together, this ultra-light, pretensioned tripod becomes incredibly stiff and resistant to vibrations. The unfortunate, but understandable, bias toward adjustable height pushed them from the market.

Anyway, eventually if not already, it should be possible to determine at what serial number the transition to the heavier style of modern tripod occurred.

DouglasR

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5719759 - 03/08/13 01:11 AM

Thank you Joe. Very interesting about the tripod, good info. I have been observing for about 40 years, but mostly with small refractors and small newts. I picked up an older C8 here on CN classified about 2 months ago, and I don't know why I didn't get an SCT before this. I love it. I know it doesn't have the bells and whistles most of the scopes have today, but it gives great views and is remarkably easy to use. I had a Tasco 9TE and a couple of Edmund Scientific scopes years ago, I wish I still had them. Thanks again,
Doug

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: DouglasR]
      #5719864 - 03/08/13 05:01 AM

Thanks Doug, always good to get another number, especially when it comes woth motor dates as well.

I like the locked triangle tripod, amazingly light and yet very rigid. This post by Neil (apfever) has some interesting info on dismantling the tripod legs - well worth a look.

And welcome to the Classics forum!

James

DouglasR

#5720881 - 03/08/13 05:29 PM

Thank you James. The tripod does seem very sturdy, yet remarkably light. I was really wondering about the sales date of my new (or old) C8, especially since the more I read about them, the more interesting it gets. I like the way your chart is laid out. I'm sure it's a lot of work to put together, but it's easy to read.
Thanks again, Doug

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5783435 - 04/07/13 09:55 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

Hi all

Time for another update, I've added the recent submissions from Blake (2 C8s), John and Douglas as well as a few numbers picked up whilst surfing, mainly from classified ads but also a posting by pico in the Cats & Casses forum.

As before, because of the file size limits I've only shown a low resolution image of the top part of the list in the attached image but there is a link to the full register below:

Celestron C8 Registry

My very grateful thanks to all the contributors

James

(Edit > helps if I actually attach the image!! )

Edited by Masvingo (04/07/13 02:42 PM)

Blake Andrews
sage

#5783513 - 04/07/13 10:43 AM

Hi James,

You're quite welcome. Thanks for coordinating this project.

If I have an opportunity to pull drive covers, I'll send along any date codes that I might find, as well.

Based upon the data that you've been able to accumulate, have you been able to develop a sense for Celestron's production of the C8 from year to year? Having this parametric would allow me to develop different models to attempt to estimate corresponding eyepiece production of early Celestron eyepieces.

Cheers!
Blake

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5784162 - 04/07/13 03:59 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Hi Blake
Yes, if you do ever pull the drive covers I’d be very interested in the motor dates.

Regarding annual production numbers, unfortunately it is difficult to come up with numbers that are reasonably accurate as I don’t really have a sufficient quantity of numbers yet to identify the end of year serial numbers, and for the later ‘8xxxxx’ style serial numbers there is even more of a problem due to a lack of reliable production dates. Whilst motor dates fix the earliest date that a unit could have been manufactured, there is evidence from some of the dates on the registry that the motors either sat in the manufacturer’s stock or Celestron’s stock for a while before being used. As to reported sales dates, these are not always known either, and even for those that are known there are some discrepancies as noted below:

• S/Ns 814103 and 814836 have reported sales dates of Jun 82 and Jul 82 respectively, however S/N 815888 also has a reported sales date of Jun 82 yet is 1,785 units later than the other Jun 82 unit.
  • S/N 816685 is reported as May 83, S/N 818679 is reported as Jul 85 but S/N 824733 is reported as summer 83 whilst 831082 is reported as late 85. It may be that whilst S/N 818679 has a reported invoice date of Jul 85 it was produced much earlier (probably sometime in 83) and was held in stock for a while.

I have, however, come up with the following table which gives a rough indication.

In preparing the table, I have assumed that, for the 1970s, the serial number at the end of the year lies halfway between the last known number for that year and the first known number for the following year. This produces an initial average rate of 345/yr for the first 3 years of production (as the date style serial numbers only came in in mid 1972 and production started in 1970 it has not been possible to get rates for each particular year); 547 in 1973; 1276 in 1974; 2115 in 1975; and 2313 in 1976.

The lastest 1977 serial number (394637) is only for the third quarter at which time a total of 9463 units had been produced from the start of production (ignoring any special numbers such as Leo Hanzl’s C8) and would equate to 2,176 units in 1977 alone up to that point. Assuming another 400 odd for the remainder of the year or an increase of 200 over the previous year gives a figure of around 2,500 to 2,600 total for 1977.

A different date type serial (xxxx8) was used solely for 1978. Assuming that they started from 00018 and went sequentially and that the reported serial of 31xx8 is the latest serial number for that year suggests that at least 3200 were produced in 1978.

The new 8xxxxx series appears to have started in 1979 and unfortunately does not have a date code. Going by some of the reported sales dates and omitting the ones that seem out of step, this gives a rate of 4,014/yr for the period up to May 80; 4,168/yr for the period May 80 to Nov 81; 4,347/yr for the period Nov 81 to July 82: 4,874/yr for the period July 82 to Nov 85 and 8,244/yr for the period Nov 85 to July 86 - which was the height of the Halley craze when they were churning out ‘scopes as fast as possible.

Because of the discrepancies noted above, it is difficult to break down production rates for the period July 82 to Nov 85 with any certainty, but looking more closely at the numbers does suggest that production numbers dropped off quite a bit in 82/83 (anyone know why?) but then picked up to rates similar to the 8,244/yr for the later period (Nov 85 to July 86) but this effect is hidden when the rate is averaged over the full period.

Any insight into the above would be most welcome.

James

Blake Andrews
sage

#5812176 - 04/21/13 12:50 AM

Quote:

As to reported sales dates, these are not always known either, and even for those that are known there are some discrepancies as noted below:

• S/Ns 814103 and 814836 have reported sales dates of Jun 82 and Jul 82 respectively, however S/N 815888 also has a reported sales date of Jun 82 yet is 1,785 units later than the other Jun 82 unit.
  • S/N 816685 is reported as May 83, S/N 818679 is reported as Jul 85 but S/N 824733 is reported as summer 83 whilst 831082 is reported as late 85. It may be that whilst S/N 818679 has a reported invoice date of Jul 85 it was produced much earlier (probably sometime in 83) and was held in stock for a while.

Thanks, James.

Your analysis is very insightful and helpful. Based upon your data it appears that by 1986, Celestron had produced roughly 40,000 C8 telescopes of one sort or another. This will be helpful as I try to estimate the number of eyepieces Celestron made for sale to the aftermarket.

I do have one error to report. My scope, #824733, the all-black Super C8 Plus with Starbright Coatings, was actually purchased in the summer of 1984. I found one of my original receipts going back though some old paper work. Hopefully this will set straight some of the confusion.

Thanks, again!
Blake

Edited by Blake Andrews (04/21/13 12:52 AM)

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5813009 - 04/21/13 12:52 PM

Hi Blake, thanks for the note re the purchase date, I have amended the high res image of the registry accordingly.

I would say that Celeston probably produced around 50,000 units by the end of 1986 - there were at least 9,800 using either the original sequential serial numbers or the date style numbers, at least another 2,200 using the 1978 only style serials (or maybe at least 3,200 if they started from number 0001 8 rather than 1000 8) and then another 36,600 or so, using the 8xxxxx serials by July 1986 a giving a total of at least 48,600.

James

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

#5813190 - 04/21/13 02:32 PM

Thanks for your time and research with this registry! I notice you do not have number 001. IIRC it has been discussed in this forum and is now on display at Celestrons headquarters.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry Update new [Re: greju]
      #5813417 - 04/21/13 03:39 PM

Thanks greju, it's an interesting challenge trying to make sense of it all.

One of the challenges has been number 1 which, from what I've been told by the former owner, CN 'greedyshark', is actually production number 577! The discrepancy appears to have been caused by Celestron's original policy of putting the serial number on the mount as the first C8s produced were complete OTA and mount assemblies. However, after a while they also started selling OTAs only and the C8 on display at Celestron is, I understand, the first C8 OTA sold by Celestron and the tube was given serial number 1 as a consequence. The mirrors and corrector plates of all tube assemblies were numbered separately and this is where the production number of 577 comes from. When I was told this it cleared up the mystery of why this C8 did not have the axial focuser which the first 125 C8s had.

At some later time the tube was then mounted on a fork mount.

James

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#5813499 - 04/21/13 04:41 PM

Thanks for correcting my often failing memory. I could remember that faceplate with the 001 number and thought it was on the mount.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4279131/page...

joerbiker

Reged: 01/08/11

Loc: Illinois
      #5985812 - 07/23/13 10:53 AM

James,
Congratulations on a job well done. Here is my addition to the date: JoerBiker C8 on Flickr

I'll take a look at the motors tomorrow and let you know the dates on those.

Thanks again,

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: joerbiker]
      #5986958 - 07/23/13 10:16 PM

Serial # for my sand cast is 4 2854 4. Good original condition. Don't think I'm going to ever sell this one. Best optics of any C8 I've had by a good margin.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: bremms]
      #5989997 - 07/25/13 05:41 PM

Great! Thanks for the new numbers, Joe and Marc. Now that work has calmed down a bit I'm hoping to get an outdated list out in the next few days.

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#5994848 - 07/28/13 02:34 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Here’s the latest version of the registry with grateful thanks to rdandrea, TOM KIEHL, joerbiker and bremms for contributing details of their C8s.

As before, because of the file size limits I've only shown a low resolution image of the top part of the list in the attached image but there is a link to the full register below:

Celestron C8 Registry

Once again my very grateful thanks to all the contributors

James

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5994962 - 07/28/13 03:29 PM

Wonderful service. Thanks for keeping these records.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5994984 - 07/28/13 03:43 PM

Thanks for your kind words. It's an interesting challenge trying to make sense of Celestron's serial numbers!

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #5995395 - 07/28/13 08:01 PM

Thanks!

TOM KIEHL
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: bremms]
      #5995665 - 07/28/13 10:29 PM

Thanks James , Keep up the good work, PS. Just for the record , and not to sound "nit picky" my last name is spelled ...KIEHL ,not KIELH.... Thanks Tom

joerbiker

Reged: 01/08/11

Loc: Illinois
      #5995752 - 07/28/13 11:17 PM

James,
Here is an older numbered scope (34568) that recently popped up on eBay .

The numbers look close for it to be a 1978.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: TOM KIEHL]
      #5995941 - 07/29/13 03:00 AM

Oops, sorry Tom, my apologies! Finger trouble, the table should be corrected now.

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: joerbiker]
      #5995952 - 07/29/13 03:29 AM

Thanks for the tip off, Joe.

That's the highest 1978 number I've seen so far. So probably at least 3,456 C8s made in 1978, although I'm wondering whether the 1978 sequence might have started in late 1977 as the latest 1977 number I have is for the 3rd quarter, 3 9463 7, and if they were at number 9,463 in the 3rd quarter I would guess they would have reached number 9,999 before the end of 1977.

James

ivancast09

Reged: 02/23/13

#5997416 - 07/29/13 10:32 PM

Hello everyone. Yesterday I came up on a well worn c8. I picked it up because I thought it will make a good project. Plus really gratifying when its all done and see first light. The focuser is what really needs to be changed asap in order for it to function. Everything else is working as it should.
My question is,the only obvious ser# I see is on the fork Mount. It says ser# 181. The ota itself has no ser# all the pics I've seen has the ser# on the secondary mirror holder/ collimation screws by the corrector plate. Was this a common thing? The secondary mirror holder dose not say celestron. Its just black and smooth minus the scew holes and screws.
Every one I have seen has the ser# there by the corrector plate. And says celestron on it.
Also I know that the the fork mount is early 70's era because its two tone and the forks have circle cut outs when casted. Ser#181 on the fork mount would that date the ota as well? I'm guessing 181 must be a very very low serialized telescope.
Anyway, I hope somebody can clarify some question on dating my new to me c8 project.
Thanks
And clear skies from OC california.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: ivancast09]
      #5997718 - 07/30/13 02:26 AM

Hi ivancast09

Great, thanks for your number, another early one, around 1970/71. Can you post some pics please?

Other than when the ota was sold separately, Celestron did not start placing the serial number on the secondary holder until 1979 - up until then it was on a plate on the mount base.

Does yours have a visual back arrangement similar to Tinky, Tim's C8 #135, which appears to be a transitional arrangement between the very early axial focuser and the 'regular' C8 and has a circular black plate bolted to the rear cell?

If you take the corrector out, I'd be interested to see whether the number marked on the edge of the plate matches the base serial # 181.

James

Blake Andrews
sage

#6013372 - 08/08/13 10:51 AM

Hi All,

Another interesting C8 listing on e-Bay. This one appears to be a transition scope (post tri-color / sandcast), with a Celestron Pacific plate on the base of the motor. The serial number appears to be 10718.

The eyepieces are also interesting. Two of the three have yellow round JTII stickers. One is clearly marked Oval-M (aka Circle-M).

I assume that the serial number infers that this scope was the 71st C8 manufactured/sold in the first quarter of 1978? If so, this would help me pin down when Oval-M eyepieces sporting the round yellow JTII stickers were offered.

Here's the link...
LINK

Cheers!
Blake

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6013462 - 08/08/13 11:33 AM

James,

I have an orange C8 with SN 175317. I believe I'm the second owner but could no verify when the original owner purchased the scope other than the mid to late 1970's.

Let me know what if any documentation you need for the registry.

Mike

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Blake Andrews]
      #6013670 - 08/08/13 01:13 PM

Hi Blake

Thanks for the tip-off, I'll add it to the registry. The number looks like either 10718 or 19718. Yes, I would think either late 1977 or first half of 1978.

The 1978 serials appear to have changed so that the production quarter is no longer indicated, there are the following on the registry:
14548, 16228 (reported sale date 1978), 22908 (motors 10/77), 23128, 27598 (motors 11/77), 31xx8 (motors 10/77) and 34568. The motor dates are interesting, looks like Celestron were carrying quite high stock levels in 1977.

By the third quarter of 1977 Celeston were reaching the end of the quarter style serial nos (QxxxxY) - the latest number on the registry in that sequence is 394637 so there were only 536 numbers left. Around that time production seems to be running between 2,500 and 3,000 per year, say 600 to 800 a quarter.

So a new sequence (xxxxY) with just the year seems to have been used for 1978 before they switched to the non date 8xxxxx style in 1979 (when the serial numbers moved up to the secondary holder).

What I can't tell yet is what happened in the 4th quarter of 1977 - did the xxxx8 style come in during the 4th quarter of 1977 or even during the 3rd quarter? Also, did the '1978' style star at serial number 1 (00018) or serial number 1000 (10008)?

So, yes, early 1978 would be my guess.

Thanks again.

James

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6013715 - 08/08/13 01:26 PM

Hi Mike

Congratulations on your new 'scope!

Thanks for the serial number which I'll add to the registry. Based on the number your scope was produced in the 1st quarter of 1977. The other two 1st quarter 1977 numbers lie on either side being 1_7385_7 and 1_7633_7. The latter one, 102 units after yours, has a reported sale date of 4/28/1977 and motors dated 1/77.

If yours is like others the serial number plate will say Celestron Pacific? Does it have the original front cap - if so does this say Celestron International? Does it have special coatings (small label on the top of the ota just behind the corrector cell)?

If you can see the side of the motors, I'd be interested in what date is stamped on them (usually in the form MM/YY at the end of a string of numbers stamped around the circumference).

Finally, if you ever have cause to take the corrector out, please note what number is etched on it at the edge.

Thanks again

James

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6014069 - 08/08/13 04:08 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Hello James,

The serial number plate does say Celestron Pacific. I believe the front cap is original but just says "Celestron 8" and "2000 mm f/10".

One motor is dated "9-76", in that format. I can't see the date on the other with my inspection mirror.

I don't expect to have to pull the corrector but if I do, I'll check it out for you.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6014072 - 08/08/13 04:14 PM

Great! Thanks Mike.

James

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6014081 - 08/08/13 04:19 PM

Quote:

I don't expect to have to pull the corrector but if I do, I'll check it out for you.

You don't have to pull the whole corrector, just the ring that holds it in place. The number is etched on the outside at about the 3:00 position. There's a bit of a risk--after 36 years, the screws might be a little fussy to get out.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6014085 - 08/08/13 04:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You don't have to pull the whole corrector, just the ring that holds it in place. The number is etched on the outside at about the 3:00 position. There's a bit of a risk--after 36 years, the screws might be a little fussy to get out.

Thanks... I'll give it a shot today.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6014088 - 08/08/13 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks... I'll give it a shot today.

Be careful. Mark the orientation before you take it off. There's a gasket behind it that might have deformed funny in 36 years. And if you do get it off, don't torque it down too hard when you put it back on. You don't want to deform the corrector. Go around and tighten nearly opposite screws as you would lug nuts--1,3,5,2,4,6 etc. until just snug.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6014116 - 08/08/13 04:39 PM

Quote:

Be careful. And if you do get it off, don't torque it down too hard when you put it back on. You don't want to deform the corrector.

I've heard just finger tight?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6014138 - 08/08/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Be careful. And if you do get it off, don't torque it down too hard when you put it back on. You don't want to deform the corrector.

James,

Finger tight. I just checked and "9576" is etched on the corrector. There are 8 allen screws that hold the retaining ring in place.

When I first purchased the scope I had a guy service it. This is one of the things he told me. "... Your scope is probably in the top 5% of commercial C8's. There was a note hand written on the back of the mirror, It said strip, and check. I believe this was a scope that got returned to Celestron by an unhappy owner because it was under corrected, (that is the main problem with the C8) The scope would have had the secondary replaced or re-figured to make up for the aberration. The optics are around the 9th wave area."

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6014146 - 08/08/13 04:58 PM

Thanks Mike.

Sounds like a real beaut! Happy observing, I'll be interested to here how you find the views.

Ed Holland
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/16/10

Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Blake Andrews]
      #6027671 - 08/15/13 05:17 PM

I've been meaning to add my C8's details to the list, so here goes. It was purchased used, in Nov 2011, just a bare optical tube with no mount/drive etc to assist with manufacturing dates.

It is black, has a "ribbed" rear cell and black knurled metal focus knob and an orange secondary trim disc. It was advertised as "Starbright XLT", and sports a sticker that reads "Special Coatings". The optics are original and seem very good. The corrector housing had to be replaced after damage in transit to me, and I took the opportunity to correct multiple alignment & collimation issues that were probably the reason it was on the ebay circuit in the first place. It is now a very nice and useable telescope.

Serial number on the secondary housing is: 826935

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by Ed Holland (08/15/13 05:18 PM)

orion61

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Ed Holland]
      #6027693 - 08/15/13 05:29 PM

I have a Celestar Deluxe, you want that too? or are we sticking with Orange tubes?
Larry

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Ed Holland]
      #6027746 - 08/15/13 05:55 PM

Hi Ed

Thanks for for your details on your OTA, I'll add it to the next update of the
registry.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6027751 - 08/15/13 06:00 PM

Hi Larry

Yes please, the more the merrier! Currently the latest number I've got is 956651 (no date though). Unfortunately, with the later numbers it is difficult to get accurate fixes for the dates, especially when scopes have been acquired second hand. Guess it all adds to the challenge!

orion61

#6033366 - 08/18/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can attest for the optical quality of that set of optics! I serviced it and it has some if not the best optics I have ever looked through.
I own Leo Henzls old C8 and his was neck and neck.
If Celestron had a return they must have taken great care it was a solid performer before returning it.
I remember looking at a couple Double Stars with it on a fantastic night of seeing, There was NO scattered light just a perfect airy disk and one defraction ring with a hint of a second, at 500X!
I hope you are well Mike great to hear from you!
That scope is a KEEPER, The guy that sold it to you didn't know what he had!!!
Larry

James,

Finger tight. I just checked and "9576" is etched on the corrector. There are 8 allen screws that hold the retaining ring in place.

When I first purchased the scope I had a guy service it. This is one of the things he told me. "... Your scope is probably in the top 5% of commercial C8's. There was a note hand written on the back of the mirror, It said strip, and check. I believe this was a scope that got returned to Celestron by an unhappy owner because it was under corrected, (that is the main problem with the C8) The scope would have had the secondary replaced or re-figured to make up for the aberration. The optics are around the 9th wave area."

orion61

#6033423 - 08/18/13 07:02 PM

My Celestar Deluxe s/n is 901939, It was bought in 1990.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6033931 - 08/19/13 03:16 AM

Quote:

My Celestar Deluxe s/n is 901939, It was bought in 1990.

Hi Larry,

thanks for the details. Was 1990 the original date of purchase?

James

orion61

#6034539 - 08/19/13 12:58 PM

90 or 91.
They shipped the original Celestar in 1987, and the Deluxe
in 87 or 88.
Anyone know how many years they made the Celestar?

bmwscopeguy
Vendor (Westport Scope)

Reged: 06/17/10

Loc: Westport, Ontario, Canada
      #6058161 - 09/01/13 06:50 PM

Hi James,

I have C8 scope s/n 826639 sold as a Super C8 on Super Polaris mount with wooden tripod. The Celestron Optical certificate that accompanies the scope shows optical set s/n 4080.

I took off the corrector plate retaining ring, and a s/n is not visible around the periphery on the front or back side. I did not remove the assembly to see if it was etched on the edge. It's probably on the rear of the primary, but I'm not that curious....

All I can say is it star tests very well. The sticker on the OTA top front that would normally have said 'StarBright' has gone missing over the years, so I cannot verify that this scope has them, although a flyer that came with some of the documentation seems to indicate that StarBright coatings were included in the Super C8 package.

I am not the first owner of this scope.

Regards - Malcolm Bird from Westport, Ontario, Canada

Geo31
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: bmwscopeguy]
      #6058970 - 09/02/13 10:25 AM

One more for the registry...

Super C8 with Starbright coatings on forks. [edit: forgot to mention black tube]

S/N 821337

I have no idea about prior ownership.

Edited by Geo31 (09/02/13 10:30 AM)

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Geo31]
      #6060462 - 09/03/13 03:52 AM

Malcolm and George

Thanks for your details, I'll enter them into the registry at the next update.

James

Phantastes
journeyman

Reged: 07/16/09

#6064953 - 09/05/13 06:07 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Here is a pic of a C8 I recently inherited. I am interested where you think it would fit in the registry because I don't have any other information about. Also, do you know where I might be able to find a manual?

Geo31
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Phantastes]
      #6065403 - 09/05/13 11:29 PM

I saw the pics on your other thread. That is definitely a Super C8. If you want particulars on the Super C8, Uncle Rod's SCT buyers guide has the best info.

midnitexplorer

Reged: 06/20/13

Loc: Vancouver Island BC Canada
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Geo31]
      #6066842 - 09/06/13 08:56 PM

James

Heres a few from my collection :

824075 - Super C8 Orange tube w/SB coatings
2nd owner
843159 - Super C8 plus Black tube w/SB coatings
3rd owner
Greg

Thanks for the effort to compile the list.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: midnitexplorer]
      #6069139 - 09/08/13 09:40 AM

Thanks for the details of your Super C8 and Super C8 plus, Greg. Is that your Super C8 in your Good Day thread?

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Phantastes]
      #6069277 - 09/08/13 10:55 AM

Thanks for the number, Phantastes.

It's hard to date the later C8s with the 8xxxxx serial numbers as there is no date information coded into the number (unlike the earlier numbers used from 1972 to 1977 which were of the form QxxxxY where Q was the quarter and Y the last digit of the year or 1978 where the number was xxxxY). It appears that the 8xxxxx numbers came in in 1979 (or possibly late 1978) and just ran sequentially so to get the date of production you would need to know how many were produced each year since 78/79.

The RA motors were stamped with the date that the motor was produced so this at least gives the earliest date that the scope was made, however, as the motors may have sat around in either the manufacturer's stock or Celestron's stock for an indeterminate time, it may not give an accurate date of production for the scope.

In the Registry we have Super C8s with serial numbers of 820591 and 821468 with a reported original sale date of 1984 and a Plus with a serial number of 824733 which was originally sold in summer 1984.

There are also C8s with S/Ns of 816685 (reported sale daye May 83) and S/N 818679 (reported as Jul 85) but it may be that whilst S/N 818679 has a reported invoice date of Jul 85 it was produced much earlier (probably sometime in 83) and was held in stock for a while.

There was also a Super C8 advertised on Ebay with a S/N of 820862 which was stated to be a 1982 model but I think that this was based on an incorrect assumption by the seller that the first two digits of the serial number give the year pf production, which is not the case (other than by pure coincidence for some 1980 and 1981 scopes).

rigelsys
Vendor (Rigel Systems)

Reged: 08/22/06

#6070110 - 09/08/13 07:18 PM

another for the list

Orange Tube C8
Celestron Pacific
1935 8 (note space between 1935 and 8) so I guess 1978?
Synchron dates are (if they're the last 4 digits) 11-77
Special Coatings

midnitexplorer

#6070300 - 09/08/13 09:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the details of your Super C8 and Super C8 plus, Greg. Is that your Super C8 in your Good Day thread?

Absolutely, and a real beauti too !

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#6070310 - 09/08/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

James

2nd owner
3rd owner
Greg

Greg I see you have the orange and black tube versions....what are the constitency of the quality of the optics? I have the orange tube version and the optics are superb, just trying to get a handle on the QC of this particular model. bob

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

#6070354 - 09/08/13 10:17 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

A very very nice one. Minimal signs of anything, a little rub in spots. Lock with key works on the trunk. nice trunk too.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: apfever]
      #6070360 - 09/08/13 10:19 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Original wedge and locked triangle tripod. Original 4 eyepieces, cap, cord, diagonal, visual back, etc.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

#6070366 - 09/08/13 10:23 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Here's the goodies. #3 2167 4

Noted the date on one motor appeared to be 4-74.

A friend of mine picked this up from the second owner, so he is the 3rd owner. The first owner had it a short time, then it sat stored for....a very long time.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

#6070373 - 09/08/13 10:29 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Here's the goodies again. This is a lot nicer than it looks since I didn't get the VIVA lint off as much as I thought. That's a flash for ya. The specs are just VIVA towel lint on the outside.

We did take off the corrector. There was the typical film on the inside that I believe comes from the lube gassing out over many years of being sealed up. The rest of the inside was beautifull.

Feel free to ask any questions for the registry.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

#6070438 - 09/08/13 11:23 PM

More:

Shawn also has a pebble orange tube C8 on the squared off type base with the Buyers gear and Buyers 'Vanity' window.
serial #821157. This scope came on the heavy black tubular tripod with the drop down center pipe that the led spreader rides on.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

#6070470 - 09/08/13 11:50 PM

More:

It seems the millionaire's C8 missed the registry.

serial number 467936

I'm second owner. Velvet tone.

midnitexplorer

#6070508 - 09/09/13 12:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

James

2nd owner
3rd owner
Greg

Greg I see you have the orange and black tube versions....what are the constitency of the quality of the optics? I have the orange tube version and the optics are superb, just trying to get a handle on the QC of this particular model. bob

Bob - I've had the Orange one a few days, had it out last night for awhile before heavy sudden dew shut me down. The optics were good but I didnt have enough time to compare a few eyepieces. The black one I've had for awhile now and it sits in its case waiting for a vixen mount and to clean the mould and cobwebs from the tube. I did a daytime viewing with it, and on the quick comparison the Orange tube wins, although they both more than likely need collimating.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#6070523 - 09/09/13 12:36 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

I would really be interested once you get them both up and collimated!! I have been extremely happy with mine so far!! Thanks for the reply. Bob

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: rigelsys]
      #6071393 - 09/09/13 02:06 PM

Thanks rigelsys, yes, based on what numbers are in the Registry so far, I would say 1978 - it appears that they went onto a modified systm for 1978 (and possibly late 1977) when the previous system which also gave the quarter reached capacity.

So far, all those 1978 scopes for which there are also motor dates, the motor dates are either Oct or Nov 1977.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6071439 - 09/09/13 02:29 PM

Hi Neil, thanks for the details on Shawn's two C8s, that 1974 one is a real beaut! Have you got a picture of the corrector cover? If the manual is present does it have a date? Is the power cord two or three prong?

I think the millionaire's C8 is in the registry, I have it with motor dates of 9/76 and made in the 4th quarter of 1976?

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: The Pumpkin Patch is growing new [Re: Masvingo]
      #6071477 - 09/09/13 02:47 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

This arrived here:

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: The Pumpkin Patch is growing new [Re: terraclarke]
      #6071478 - 09/09/13 02:48 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Blimy! A Treasure Chest!!

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6071484 - 09/09/13 02:50 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

What could it be?

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6071487 - 09/09/13 02:51 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Hmmmm...

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6071490 - 09/09/13 02:52 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#6071492 - 09/09/13 02:53 PM

Well its Bigger then a bread basket, and it looks like an orange slice, I think I see a nice smooth orange Classic C8

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6071496 - 09/09/13 02:55 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Says "Special Coatings"

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6071497 - 09/09/13 02:55 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

And the number is:

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6071501 - 09/09/13 02:58 PM

Also got the power cord, a 2 inch visual back (as well as the 1.25 inch v.b.), a vintage Celestron gray-brown 2 inch mirror diagonal, the original plate cover, and the manual. Still waiting on the wedgepod.

It looks to be in beautiful shape. It's still awaiting first light as I have been involved in several other projects.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6071509 - 09/09/13 02:59 PM

Congratulations Terra, welcome to the Orange side!

Any idea as to the original sale date?

Will be interested in your first light report and how you find it compared to the refractors.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: The Pumpkin Patch is growing new [Re: bob midiri]
      #6071517 - 09/09/13 03:02 PM

It is bigger than a bread basket, and heavier too My largest aperture scope.

Pretty cool though Bob. You inspired me to get one for myself.

It has the "orange peel" textured paint as you can see in picture #6. Is that called smooth? I figure it dates from around 1980?

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6071520 - 09/09/13 03:04 PM

Thanks James. I don't have the sale paperwork. I figured you could tell me based on the s/n, the kind of paint, the ribbed back, the special coatings label, solid fork arms, etc.

Terra

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#6071522 - 09/09/13 03:07 PM

Quote:

It is bigger than a bread basket, and heavier too

Pretty cool though Bob. You inspired me to get one for myself.

It has the "orange peel" textured paint as you can see in picture #6. Is that called smooth? I figure it dates from around 1980?

Now Terra ORANGE you glad you got one!!! Smooth ones were the earlier models. My Super C8 orange is the pebble like yours and the optics are grand!! Enjoy

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6071530 - 09/09/13 03:11 PM

Thanks Bob. I will. I can't wait for the wedgepod to get here so I can get it outside. In the meantime, I may set it up on my garden table for a look at the moon.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6071534 - 09/09/13 03:12 PM

The later ones with the 8xxxxx numbers are a bit of a guessing game unfortunately, but I would hazard a guess at early to mid 1982 - s/n 814103 has a reported sale date of June 1982, as does s/n 815888, while s/n 814836, which has motors with a date of 10/80, has a reported sales date of July 1982. It appears that the 8xxxxx numbers started in 1979, with production levels of around 4,000 to 4,500 per year over the period 1979 to 1982.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

#6071550 - 09/09/13 03:26 PM

Quote:

Hi Neil, thanks for the details on Shawn's two C8s, that 1974 one is a real beaut! Have you got a picture of the corrector cover? If the manual is present does it have a date? Is the power cord two or three prong?

I think the millionaire's C8 is in the registry, I have it with motor dates of 9/76 and made in the 4th quarter of 1976?

Shawn's power cord is two prong (both ends) with the two blade receptacle on the rim. The cover plate is smooth metal and is in the first couple of pictures, from the side.
no manual. There was an inscribed number on the corrector, under the retaining ring. I did not record that while we had the corrector off.

I thought you had the information from the millionaire scope. I wasn't sure.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6071557 - 09/09/13 03:34 PM

Thanks Neil, I missed the cover when I first looked at the pics but it's obvious now

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6071624 - 09/09/13 04:24 PM

Thank you James. It would appear that my #814110 would then be around July of 1982. That would put it squarely between my two daughters (1981 and 1983). Quite a respectable era.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6071765 - 09/09/13 05:35 PM

Thanks Terra. That date fits in well with your family!

rigelsys
Vendor (Rigel Systems)

Reged: 08/22/06

#6071879 - 09/09/13 06:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks rigelsys, yes, based on what numbers are in the Registry so far, I would say 1978 - it appears that they went onto a modified systm for 1978 (and possibly late 1977) when the previous system which also gave the quarter reached capacity.

Thanks, I do recommend that if there appears to be spaces between the numbers (as on mine) that the numbers be noted that way (for example, on apfever's C8 the number with spaces is 3 2167 4 ... so 3rd quarter, #2167, year 1974. Perhaps later years, they lost the spaces?

So far, all those 1978 scopes for which there are also motor dates, the motor dates are either Oct or Nov 1977.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: rigelsys]
      #6071935 - 09/09/13 07:21 PM

WOW Terra! your going to like that!

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6072091 - 09/09/13 08:47 PM

So what does most of this have to do with the registry?

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#6073497 - 09/10/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

WOW Terra! your going to like that!

Thanks Robert

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#6078798 - 09/13/13 01:53 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

James im picking this up tomorrow, but would you be able to give me an idea of what year this is. Ser# 811819 thanks Bob

Edited by bob midiri (09/13/13 01:54 PM)

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6078905 - 09/13/13 03:11 PM

Hi Bob

These 8xxxxx numbers are difficult to date without some reliable original sales dates to act as reference points. My best guess would be late 1981 based on the following:
(1) The Registry has #811149 with a reported original sales date of 1981 and #811938 with a reported original sales date of Nov 1981
(2) 814xxx numbers appear to be mid 1982 and production rates were around 4,000 to 5,000 per year.

Hope this helps and congratulations on another orange tube.

James

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

#6079023 - 09/13/13 04:15 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Would the double motors date it also?

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

#6079036 - 09/13/13 04:25 PM

The motors will give the earliest date that the scope could have made, but without knowing how long the motors sat on the shelf at either the manufacturers or Celestron they may not give an accurate date. For example, scopes with numbers in the range 814xxx to 816xxx (which have probably been manufactured in 1982/83) seem to have motors dated Oct 1980. 807xxx scopes appear to have motors dated early 1980. For some reason there seems to be a real glut of 1980 motors!

midnitexplorer

#6106708 - 09/28/13 10:54 PM

James - Was on the mainland the other day
October 31st is coming and Bob and I are round'n up all the orange

#802424 C8-3rd owner. Purported purchase 1978
Pics to come on my "good day" thread
Greg

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The Pumpkin Patch is growing new [Re: midnitexplorer]
      #6106758 - 09/28/13 11:26 PM

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: The Pumpkin Patch is growing new [Re: midnitexplorer]
      #6109528 - 09/30/13 04:02 PM

+1

Excellent Greg, well done, can't have too much orange !

Thanks for the details.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#6109542 - 09/30/13 04:11 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

"can't have too much orange"

Couldn'd agree more. Though I fear this trio may be heading different directions soon.

BigNick

Reged: 02/19/12

Re: The Pumpkin Patch is growing new [Re: greju]
      #6157576 - 10/25/13 02:38 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Hi James,

Thanks for all your hard work with the C8 Registry! I recently purchased an orange tube C8, serial number 801902. It was for sale here at CN in the classifieds back in June. It was in VERY rough shape, with a broken corrector and full of sand and muck. The previous owner purchased it from a Univeristy in New Mexico, where they had set it outside as surplus to go to auction. The extreme temperatures in New Mexico caused the corrector plate to crack allowing water and sand into scope. I thought it would be really neat to own and see if it could be restored, so I pulled the trigger. I sent it to Celestron in early July and just received it back (October 24th), cleaned, lubed and with an entirely new optical system (including Fastar, which I didn't expect!). While the tube itself is rough and has several scratches, there are no dents or damage that affect it's optical performance. Now with the new optical system, it's essentially a new scope. It has the "pebble" finish, which I understand is painted with lead-based paint, so I think I'll just leave all the scratches as not to sand or disturb the paint. Even though it ended up costing me pretty much the price of a new scope after all is said and done, I think it's kind of cool that it now has a second life. I'll have to get some pictures of the new optics and post them as well. Another orange beauty (although a bit rough around the edges)to add to the list!

Edited by BigNick (10/25/13 02:39 PM)

BigNick

Reged: 02/19/12

Re: The Pumpkin Patch is growing new [Re: BigNick]
      #6157579 - 10/25/13 02:40 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Side view of number 801902...

Lindhard

Reged: 08/24/08

Loc: N 55°.5 E 8°.5
      #6158764 - 10/26/13 08:54 AM

Hi

My C8 has the number 26902, so it must be from Q2 1972?

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Lindhard]
      #6158981 - 10/26/13 11:26 AM

Here's a pic of my 1975 C-8 Sandcaster. This one is mint, and has the best optics of any SCT I've owned, so it's a keeper. #447655

And here's "Tinky", serial #135. Since it's a tricolor, the paint had deteriorated to snot, so I researched the colors, got a chip chart from the manufacturer in Germany, and had an auto paint store match them for me. Then I applied a clear coat of Alsacorp "soft feel" 2-part paint to give it the original Velvetone feel and flat sheen. Cost more than the scope is worth, but it was a fun and interesting project. I'm still tweaking things, so I haven't really had a chance to put it through its paces and check the optics.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: tim53]
      #6158996 - 10/26/13 11:33 AM

I think I heard someone say that 3M (who originally made the Velvetone paint) alleged that Celestron didn't properly prepare the parts for painting, so the finish deteriorated in a few years. I think it's more likely that it was a 2-part paint that wasn't mixed properly with the catalyst, because they all seemed to turn to goo. Mine even had sticky areas where the paint was under a cell edge or something. And that reminds me of mixing epoxy or resin without enough hardener.

Mankiewicz, who currently makes the Nextel Suede paints with the original 3M Velvetone colors, says that the paint is commonly used in things like airplane dashboards and is very durable. I think my 91 Toyoto Previa had a Nextel painted dash, but I sold it a long time ago, so I can't check.

-Tim.

Lindhard

Reged: 08/24/08

Loc: N 55°.5 E 8°.5
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: tim53]
      #6159491 - 10/26/13 04:47 PM

@Tim

My C8 could use a makeover like the one you mention.

Could you give me the details for the paint?

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: The Pumpkin Patch is growing new [Re: BigNick]
      #6164957 - 10/29/13 04:54 PM

Hi BigNick

Excellent, congratulations on your 'new' orange tibe. I'm glad to hear that that C8 is living on, I remember seeing the original ad with he shattered corrector.

Thanks for the update.

Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Lindhard]
      #6164970 - 10/29/13 05:04 PM

Hej Lars

Thanks for your posting. Yes, based on our understanding of how the early Celestron numbers work, yours would indeed be the 2nd quarter of 1972. That is the earliest 'date' format I have seen, the only other 1972 'date' number in the registry is a 3rd quarter one, 37842.

The latest non-date format in the registry is 659, a tri-colour with a reported sales date of May 1972. So that and yours must be very near the point when the serial number format changed.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6172242 - 11/02/13 04:35 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Greetings all. I came across a very nice orange C8 and thought I'd post some pics to see if anyone can help me nail down a ballpark manufacturing year.

With the exception of a corroded base nut and a few marks on the finder tube this C8 is practically pristine. Finish is perfect and most importantly the optics are clean, clean, clean! Just a few dust specs on the corrector. The primary looks like it came out of a Class 100 clean room. It has Special Coatings and a 8x50 RA finder. Motors are shiny and run. The wedge has some scuffing and the chrome on the tripod legs has a little surface pitting here and there, but man this scope looks nice!

Anyway, here are a few pics. If anyone has any ideas about a date I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: dpippel]
      #6172243 - 11/02/13 04:36 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Mirror cell...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172244 - 11/02/13 04:36 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Fork arm...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172246 - 11/02/13 04:37 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Front cap...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172247 - 11/02/13 04:38 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Corrector plate with serial number...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172250 - 11/02/13 04:40 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Drive base with 110V socket...

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172268 - 11/02/13 04:52 PM

It came with the case, original manual (Revised June-81), original 1.25" Celestron prism diagonal and visual back, original 1.25" Celestron 25mm Ortho (Japan), 1.25" University Optics 12.5mm Plossl (Japan), 1.25" Meade #924 Erecting Prism (Japan), and a 1.25" Meade 4000 2X Air-spaced Triplet Barlow (Japan). All of the extras are pristine.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6172281 - 11/02/13 05:01 PM

OK so you know it's 81 or later. S/N is quite a bit higher than mine with 6/79 motors. What are the motor dates on yours? Use a dental mirror if you have to. That sets a "no older than" date.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172284 - 11/02/13 05:07 PM

I tried the dental mirror trick but it's difficult for me to see the dates. Where are they located on the housing?

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6172287 - 11/02/13 05:10 PM

As I recall, around the outside edge. Don't be afraid to pop one out if you need to, though. There's not much you can mess up.

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

#6172312 - 11/02/13 05:22 PM

Yep, much easier to just remove one. They're dated 4/81. That narrows things down a little. Thanks for the assist.

Basilicofresco

Reged: 11/03/13

#6173590 - 11/03/13 11:43 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Hi! This registry is very interesting, thank you for compiling it!

Here is my C8: serial 817151, pebble orange, special coatings, two standard motors (no Byers worm drive), 8x50 finder scope (optional?), heavy duty adjustable tripod (Super C8 style).
The wedge is the optional deluxe version with fine adjusters for both altitude and right ascension.
Motors date: 4-81.

It appears to be one of the last C8 before the Super C8.
The seller (pinyachta) told me it was "made in 1981, as the orange models were being phased out".
I don't know the original puchasing date and I suspect that the 1981 date he told me came from the motors date.

seeindoubles

Reged: 01/15/12

Loc: Pacific Northwest-Oregon
      #6173680 - 11/03/13 12:38 PM

Amazing condition. It looks like it has been in a time capsule somewhere!

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: seeindoubles]
      #6175009 - 11/04/13 08:40 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

I was able to get my C8 out to a dark site last night for first light. (hey, that rhymes!) Transparency was great and seeing was average. Turns out the optics on this one are fantastic. I popped in my 2" dielectric diagonal and hopped around to some of the familiar objects - M13, M57, M31, Albireo, Epsilon Lyrae, the Lagoon, the Pleiades, the Crab Nebula, and an assortment of doubles. It performed beautifully! I'd forgotten how much of an art star hopping can be and I got schooled last night. It was a very fun and satisfying 4 hours under the stars.

jimbo728

Reged: 11/05/13

Loc: Central NH
      #6241972 - 12/09/13 02:36 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Here is another for this great registry.
Bought used on AMart almost a year ago. Was called a `73 but now if that serial# range and ID QxxxxY system is correct it really is a 3rd quarter `75. Ser. # 340305.
Sandcast fork mount, spring tube tripod, smooth finish orange tube, round AC 2 prong power cord,no special coatings and no regrets! Terrific optics.
I cannot access motor dates or corrector etching due to hand paralysis but may be able to do so in the future, sorry.
I have an 88 SP C8 that I will send in info on when a helper can pop the cover. That one was purchased new by me.
Very interesting info being collected here, I`m enlightened.
Thanks for your hard work creating this data.
Jim

Edited by jimbo728 (12/09/13 03:14 AM)

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: jimbo728]
      #6242385 - 12/09/13 10:48 AM

What a beauty, Jimbo!

jimbo728

Reged: 11/05/13

Loc: Central NH
      #6243122 - 12/09/13 04:57 PM

Thank You!
I wanted this scope in the 70`s. Always loved those old scopes.
Jim

Live_Steam_Mad
sage

Reged: 07/24/07

Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: jimbo728]
      #6264616 - 12/20/13 11:03 PM

Hi, is there a Registry for the C11 's? My year 2000 model (so the seller told me) has no serial number but the corrector plate has serial number 5678 at the edge (no joke) ;-

https://plus.google.com/photos/101932667412801910198/albums/59206096643098780...

EDIT: now as I come to look at the images in Photoshop (I took pictures of the reverse side of the corrector because I placed it in the lid with the secondary mirror facing up when I removed the corrector) and come to reverse the image, instead of 5678, it looks more like 3678 or maybe 3578. I'll get the corrector out again soon and check it some more.

Regards,

Alistair G.

Edited by Live_Steam_Mad (12/21/13 02:29 AM)

moonrider

Reged: 11/16/13

#6266900 - 12/22/13 01:27 PM

[image]http://[IMG]http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/windancer29/th_20131222_110035.jpg[/IMG][/image] [image]http://[IMG]http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/windancer29/th_20131222_110009.jpg[/IMG][/image] [image]http://[IMG]http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q547/windancer29/th_PC100007.jpg[/IMG][/image] I am new to the CNTR and just recently purchased this Celestron Super C8 with serial# 836934 with a corrector and primary # of 2337. I won this scope at our local clubs annual fall social where we auction off scopes that have been donated to the club. It was a mess. All the optics were filthy and mold covered as a result of not have any covers or caps in place. But everything cleaned up nicely. I was the only one who bid on this scope as everyone was afraid of the condition. I have added a few things including a 2" diag, and a celestron quartz drive corrector. and some other incidentals. The drive is very accurate. Anyway please add my (survivor) scope to the registry.

Edited by moonrider (12/22/13 01:41 PM)

Live_Steam_Mad
sage

Reged: 07/24/07

Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: moonrider]
      #6272716 - 12/25/13 08:41 PM

Finally I just got to look at my C11 corrector and it is number 3678, I can see it clearly now with a very bright torch (flashlight) and an 8x magnifying Loupe ;-

https://picasaweb.google.com/101932667412801910198/CelestronOTABelivedToBeExC...

https://picasaweb.google.com/101932667412801910198/CelestronOTABelivedToBeExC...

My C11 has no serial number and is from year 2000 the seller told me, and is StarBright coated (not XLT).

Regards,

Alistair G.

latentfuss

Reged: 05/27/13

Loc: Northern RI
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: Live_Steam_Mad]
      #6375243 - 02/14/14 12:08 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

I might be a little late to the party, but I have a new acquisition to add to the registry. It's serial number 152226. It's got the spring steel tripod (wicked solid) and that strange, round two pole AC power cord.

latentfuss

Reged: 05/27/13

Loc: Northern RI
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: latentfuss]
      #6375247 - 02/14/14 12:11 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

Here's another full size view... note the depth of the snow!

Thanks for compiling all this data, James!

TerryWood
sage

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: USA
Re: Celestron C8 Registry new [Re: latentfuss]
      #6466728 - 04/14/14 11:55 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Here's mine. 1975, sand cast forks, smooth orange paint, and no coatings. Performs great! S/N 342865

V/R

Terry

Edited by TerryWood (04/14/14 11:56 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9159

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics