Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
turk123
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: Introduction and my project new [Re: Datapanic]
      #5622224 - 01/14/13 07:52 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

One more picture:

The optics were re coated in 2008.

Edited by turk123 (01/14/13 08:00 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
turk123
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Introduction and my project new [Re: turk123]
      #5622255 - 01/14/13 08:34 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

One more of the mirror. The business end.

RogerRZ
Whatta you lookin' at?

Reged: 01/09/06

Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada
      #5623086 - 01/14/13 05:11 PM

Hi, I just wanted to pop in, and present myself as the owner before Paul. I regret to say I passed it on to Paul in the same condition and with the same parts I received it in. No spare parts...

Someone might be able to verify that these mounts are all like that, but this particular example looked a lot sturdier than it actually was. I have to say that the rotating rings and the slip clutches made it quite fun to use just the same...

Good luck to you!

turk123
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Introduction and my project new [Re: RogerRZ]
      #5623166 - 01/14/13 06:05 PM

Hi Roger

I found Roger through Paul and ask him to chime in here not knowing he would be dissing my mount! I'm at a disadvantage as the mount is not with me yet, but this "looseness" in the mount has me puzzled. What could cause that or are the mounts a bit loose to start with?

Thanks for coming Roger!

Turk

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5623427 - 01/14/13 09:05 PM

Adding a latitude adjuster to the Cave mount will help make it much sturdier. Otherwise, the entire weight of the OTA and Equatorial head pass through a single point - that bolt on the pier cap that connects to the RA Shaft Housing. Through my own testing with the 8" Lightweight Deluxe I have which also has a latitude adjuster, when that bolt is tight, it takes quite a few seconds (>5) for vibration to dampen out when the tube is touched. But, when that bolt is loose and the weight of the OTA and head are divided between the bolt and a latitude adjuster, dampening takes less that a second! The tighter that bolt is, the worse the dampening time gets.

The other cause of wobbliness are the caster wheels - but that can be alleviated by removing them or using leveling bolts, if equipped.

Not sure if that's the looseness you're talking about, but thought I would mention this anyway for the Shop Talk on Caves

turk123
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Introduction and my project new [Re: Datapanic]
      #5623451 - 01/14/13 09:24 PM

Thanks Datapanic

Both past owners have mentioned the looseness in the mount. Again, I have no way to look at or test your ideas, but I am filing all this away to address later. I need to go get this thing . . .

The trouble with going to NYC with my wife will be that SHE gets to shop and spend as much as I did on the scope. The cost of this hobby never is fully measured unless you include that extra cost.

Edited by turk123 (01/14/13 09:25 PM)

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5623472 - 01/14/13 09:36 PM

I hear ya - my gets a Victorian era dress with accessories for every scope I get, so I choose carefully!

turk123
Carpal Tunnel

#5625094 - 01/15/13 08:03 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Well, I have a source for the motor (abet new), I also have the 2 gear flexable coupler, and I just talked to a friend of mine who has a lathe, We can make the two parts I needed. Those are the two parts mounted to the motor in the picture below..

When the time comes, is there anyone out their with a micrometer that could measure the two parts? Possible trace and scan them also? That would make it so much easier than trial & error (and mostly error)! It just has to be close as we can make them line up to fit the worm drive when it gets mounted to the worm plate.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
      #5625358 - 01/15/13 10:37 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Tom,

I can do that, just need to remember to bring my mic home from work. I'll try and take mine apart and do some drawings this weekend. Here's another shot from when I restored mine. As you've probably noticed the round cover and end cap aren't needed to make it work. They just cover up the mechanism.

turk123
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Introduction and my project new [Re: PiSigma]
      #5625407 - 01/15/13 11:02 PM

Thanks Jon

I see that those are not necessary, but then, it wouldn't be a cave.

I appreciate your help.

Could you also measure the flexible gear coupler? I need to know what size to buy. Gear size and assembly length.

Thanks so much! I was hoping you would chime in. After all, you are an engineer!

turk123
Carpal Tunnel

#5629032 - 01/17/13 10:38 PM

Well, after reading the restoration project on the 12.5 found in a field, I am in the presence of greatness! I appreciate all the help you can give me Dan. I am amazed at the different techniques you use to do a restoration. I definitely will use some of that knowledge to get my project going. Thank you for the incredible knowledge you've given this community.

That said, do you have a dec motor? Pleeeese?

Turk

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

#5633622 - 01/20/13 05:33 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Tom,

Attached are my sketches of the two parts you need to make for your dec drive. Im no CAD jockey so hopefully these hand drawings have all the detail you need. I didnt dimension the outside of the triangular adapter. This was pretty much cut free hand by Cave to more or less match the base of the motor. The holes on this are symmetrical about the centerline. On the round hub the two lower mounting holes, which are asymmetrical about the center line, need to match those on the side of your existing mounting plate. Check to make sure the hole spacing on these matches yours.

The screws holding the motor to the triangular plate are 6-32 x button heads. The screws mounting the triangular plate to the round hub are 6-32 x 7/8 cheese head screws although socket heads would work fine. The screws to mount the hub to the plate are 10-32 x socket heads.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

#5633625 - 01/20/13 05:34 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

The hub.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

#5633638 - 01/20/13 05:38 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

The two drive parts are 0.677" major outside diameter and 0.510" overall length. They are marked Guardian, Mich. City, Ind. on the back and have 8 teeth. The one on the worm drive shaft has a 0.250" center hole while the one on the drive motor is 0.186". The rubber coupler is 0.566" long.

turk123
Carpal Tunnel

#5633785 - 01/20/13 07:02 PM

That's fantastic Jon. I really appreciate you taking the time on this. I talked to my friend Dave (he has the lathe) about this and he said no problem at all to manufacture the parts. He even has the aluminum stock on hand.

I have to wait untill the scope gets home before I start making these. I want to make sure Mr. Cave stuck to his design, something we all know he didn't do!

I can order the two gear flexible drive. If you notice on the pictures I posted of the gears, they are also Guardian. An exact match and still made today.

Jon, thanks again so much for the support. I hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9864

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics