Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Topcat]
      #5640837 - 01/24/13 02:33 PM

Did anybody ever order the giant weather balloon. The one in the catalog photograph that was a tall as the house it was next to

Edited by terraclarke (01/24/13 05:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EJN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/01/05

Loc: 53 miles west of Venus
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5640968 - 01/24/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Did anybody ever order the giant weather balloon. The one in the catalog photograph that was a tall as the house it was nest to

I got the 8 foot balloon. I inflated with a shop vacuum in the basement of my
parents house. It hit something sharp & popped. They put a bunch of talcum powder
in them to keep it from sticking to itself when deflated. Everything in the basement
was covered with powder when it popped. My parents were not amused.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: EJN]
      #5641077 - 01/24/13 05:12 PM

I did a few things like that. Way more fun to think about now than it was to do it then! Nawwwwwww!

Topcat
sage

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: RI
      #5642055 - 01/25/13 07:58 AM

I was sort of fascinated by that weather balloon but never got one. I did mine that catalog for more than one grade school science project though. I think I still have a prism somewhere in my archives I got from them.

tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Topcat]
      #5642100 - 01/25/13 08:37 AM

Edmund has grown up just like we have. But you can still make your own astro gear from their stuff rather cheaply. I just ordered 3 BK7 ball lenses to make eyepieces. Gonna use cheap eyepiece housings we all have laying around. Now if only I can see the small parts to assemble, look they have magnifier head gear also!

Ducky62
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: The ATL
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: tomharri]
      #5643509 - 01/25/13 10:42 PM

I got a ceramic "super magnet" from Edmund when I was a kid. It was part of my treasure hunting arsenal.I used to go "fishing" with it off of bridges. I think I had visions of ditched crime weapons but as an adult you can imagine the rusty junk I actually reeled in. It was a lot of fun. I was working not too far from the old New Jersey store in the early 1990s. I made the pilgrimage and spent hours in there, bought a sack full of cheap science toys for a few bucks and fulfilled my childhood dream of looking through the Jap periscope.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Ducky62]
      #5643517 - 01/25/13 10:52 PM

My brother had a magnet like that. I dont remember where he got it. it had a tremendous field strength; was about 8 inches or so long, a couple of inches wide, about an inch thick. It was like a giant bar magnet but the back side was nerdy smooth with curve beveled edges. It must have weighed about 2 pounds. Anyway, I remember that he stuck it on my Mom's new refrigerator. Boy, talk about drama! I have no memory how they ever got it off the refrigerator door!

Terra

proteus5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Southern New Jersey
      #5643885 - 01/26/13 07:30 AM

I go by Edmunds several times a week. What was the retail store is now Anchor Optics. They added onto the main building several years ago. I used to love going into the store in the late 70s and 80s. They had a surplus back room, and I built a couple of nice telescopes from parts that I got very cheap. I'd get a part for a mount, and go back several times a week looking for the next part. It would take months, a small part at a time but if you haunted the place and were patient you'd end up with a complete scope from surplus parts for a fraction of the cost.

I even worked there for a very short time in the late 80s running their small computer system they had for the mail order/retail side of things. 30% employee discount was great. I really miss that store

The Japanese periscope is long gone, when they closed the retail store they put everything up for sale, and if I remember it went for a thousand or so, would have been cool to have, I looked through it every time as I would leave the store.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: proteus5]
      #5646085 - 01/27/13 01:32 PM

also, check this place out: American Science and Surplus http://www.sciplus.com/ They have some hokey stuff, probably still the aluminum jumping discs and those birds that dunk endlessly into a glass of water, but also a lot of actual scientific and some optical goodies. They still print a newsprint catalog that's great fun to look through, and I've ordered from them several times and been satisfied.

Russ

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5646399 - 01/27/13 04:38 PM

There was also Ward scientific in Rochester NY. They had more serious science stuff, but some surplus optics. They had a vast collection of rocks, minerals and meteorites. Still have some stuff I got on a field trip. They gave us cost on the rocks and minerals, things were pretty cheap. I still have a 3" yes 3" diameter single pyrite crystal I picked up for a few bucks.

Edited by bremms (01/27/13 05:06 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2160

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics