Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
70s 60 SCOPE

Reged: 12/17/12

Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific?
      #5638670 - 01/23/13 11:01 AM

When I was a kid in the 70s, I used to get these great B&W catalogs stuffed with stuff-- from astronomy to chemistry to magic to toys. Then I recall the catalog went glossy and downsized. No more new-old stock rubber stoppers, test tubes, or nuts and bolts. When did they finally go kaput?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: 70s 60 SCOPE]
      #5638696 - 01/23/13 11:11 AM

They're still around.

http://www.scientificsonline.com/?gclid=CILW0Ybv_rQCFQLZQgodgUgA6Q

-Tim.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: tim53]
      #5638838 - 01/23/13 12:30 PM

The link Tim provided above and this one:
http://www.edmundoptics.com/
and this one:
http://www.anchoroptics.com/
are all originating from the olde favorite of ours from the 60's - 70's.

At one time knew the history of the company but I can't remember anything. I would like a refresher so hopefully someone will log in and fill us in on the above 3 links.

Robert

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: actionhac]
      #5638876 - 01/23/13 12:53 PM

Quote:

At one time knew the history of the company but I can't remember anything. Robert

I get more and more like that every day.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: David E]
      #5638991 - 01/23/13 02:13 PM

Robert Edmund is probably still on board laughin' all the way to the bank with those prices. Mike

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5639101 - 01/23/13 03:25 PM

You can say that again. Their prices are outrageous, at least the Edmund Optics division. And the "Edmund Scientifics" catalog that I still get every Christmas is a far cry from the old catalog from the 60s. It mostly contains pre-made "science toys" probably from China and other overpriced "junk" and that is in and of itself a much smaller selection than back in the old days. I would hate to be a kid today depending on Edmund to get parts, etc. for science projects. They were my main source for that back in the 60s in jr. high and H.S. They would be a pitiful source today. The only thing even remotely akin to Edmund and Jaegers today is Surplus Shed (IMHO).

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5639187 - 01/23/13 04:20 PM

So, which do you guys want: cheap or Made in USA? (There were complaints that most of the stuff was "probably" from China.) You can't have both. I know for a fact that many/most/all of Edmund's mirrors are US-made, because I know a guy who makes some of them. It's precisely the attitudes expressed in the foregoing posts that encouraged him to mostly abandon the amateur market. People want the quality of a Zambuto for the price of a GSO. Really!? Now, I also remember the Edmund catalogues of old, from the 1950s and 60s. They were loaded with war surplus parts. I'm sorry, but that war was 68 years ago, and most of the leftovers were sold long ago.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Calypte]
      #5639287 - 01/23/13 05:30 PM

And that is precisely why we or at least I love this forum. Love those 68 year old left overs! They're not the least bit stale after all these years

Terra

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Calypte]
      #5639292 - 01/23/13 05:32 PM

Them and Heathkit; I miss them both.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Meadeball]
      #5639318 - 01/23/13 05:54 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Here's Robert Edmund in 1959. By 1977 he looked like a moustached Bobby Goldsboro. Mike

Cepheus Elf

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Rainy, Cloudy Lancashire UK
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5639334 - 01/23/13 06:06 PM

Yeah I miss the comic adverts for Sea Monkeys and X-ray Specs...

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Cepheus Elf]
      #5639973 - 01/24/13 02:51 AM

The catalogs sure were great. I didn't order much of anything but Edmund just kept sending those catalogs.
Us kids would build things based on what opportunity was given to us.
If I came into some big money from mowing a lawn I would buy a surplus lens or two from Edmund.
A new house in the neighborhood meant it was "tree fort time".
A real goldmine was when someone threw out their television. We would work on one of those for weeks and strip it of everything down to the bare chassis, and build radios and Tesla coils and all kinds of electronic coolness.
We liked refrigerators for the motors and the compressor if it still worked, and we would build all kinds of things. I sort of remember a book or mag called "Science Experimenter", oh boy I can't believe I remembered that, I might even still have that book, yes it was a book if I remember correctly.

Robert

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#5640108 - 01/24/13 07:11 AM

Who here has been around long enough to remember seeing ads with the company's initial name of "Edmunds Savage Corp." in Scientific American? They were almost exclusively war surplus optics and associated parts back then, together with offering small refracting telescope "kits" that consisted of only a series of unmounted lenses (~2"-2.5" objective and a couple for the eyepiece). I think a bit later they offered some more-or-less suitable cardboard tubes that you could modify to mount the lenses in to actually make the telescope. Critical alignment was an absolute after thought!

I still recall purchasing my first Erfle eyepiece from them in the 50's. I believe that it came from a tank, or some such, and was decidedly oversized for use in THE standard 1.25" eyepiece holders of the time (only Unitron had a 2" and that only on their biggest scope). Edmunds fabricated and sold an adapter that brought the 2" or so lens' diameter down to fit your eyepience holder, but who knows just how much field illumination was lost in the process!

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (01/24/13 02:43 PM)

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5640181 - 01/24/13 08:28 AM

I do remember getting catalogs in the late 60's early 70's I did get one of those early Edmund 1.25 1"1/8 FL eyepieces. It was pretty good. Gave that one away with my 4.25" F4(coulter kit), I have fond memories of that combination in the freezing weather.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: 70s 60 SCOPE]
      #5640217 - 01/24/13 09:02 AM

Quote:

When I was a kid in the 70s, I used to get these great B&W catalogs stuffed with stuff-- from astronomy to chemistry to magic to toys. Then I recall the catalog went glossy and downsized. No more new-old stock rubber stoppers, test tubes, or nuts and bolts. When did they finally go kaput?

They didn't go kaput. They sold off the consumer part of the company, who continues to sell amateur astronomy products under the name "Scientifics."

The truth is, however, that the heyday you remember ended with the 70s as far as astronomy. When Norman E. retired, his son, who took over the business, decided to deemphasize astronomy. Probably a wise decision, since the market was changing radically. This was the time that Edmund's competitors--Criterion and a whole bunch more--went into the soup.

Edmund Scientific is still around, selling mostly to schools and universities...I got one of their (still big) catalogs in my box a while back. Not much astro related in it, though. The RKE eyepieces, which they still sell, are advertised as MICROSCOPE EYEPIECES.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5640221 - 01/24/13 09:04 AM

Quote:

You can say that again. Their prices are outrageous,

But they are not any different, and are actually lower than many of the similar outfits in the business--which is selling to universities, mostly. I get all the catalogs since I teach in a physics department, and, believe me, some of 'em make the Edmund stuff seem like an absolute bargain.

Bill Griffith
sage

Reged: 08/12/09

Loc: Ca.
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5640444 - 01/24/13 11:09 AM

In areospace photonics Edmund Scientific/Optics is a trusted standard.

Off topic slightly, Edmund Scientific/Optics optics are being used in metrology testing of JWST structures under a simulated flight environment.

Not many companies bridge that kind of gap from possibly the first telescope you looked through to assisting in the performance of telescopes that haven't launched yet.

Besides; the best darn pier legs for classic ATMer's ever mass produced!

Ok, off the soap box now.

Love this forum as well!

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Bill Griffith]
      #5640543 - 01/24/13 12:12 PM

We still use B-52's in our air force for a reason, its a dang good airplane!
I still use my Edmund mount for a reason, its a dang good mount!

Robert

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
      #5640677 - 01/24/13 01:19 PM

Ahh, good memories of Edmund. I remember when they brought the Astroscan 2001 to market, but it had no name. The announced a contest, and the winning name submission would win the cope, and the name would stick. My submission was "Star Jar"......needless to say, it didnt win.

They had the coolest little aluminum disks that you clicked the center in, and laid it on a counter.....the aluminum contracted and PING..the little disk popped 3 feet into the air!

Good time!

Andy

Topcat
sage

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: RI
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: budman1961]
      #5640764 - 01/24/13 02:00 PM

They had the coolest little aluminum disks that you clicked the center in, and laid it on a counter.....the aluminum contracted and PING..the little disk popped 3 feet into the air!

Good time!

Andy

Wow........am I really this old? I remember those metallic jumping discs also..... If I remember correctly, you could get them with your company logo on them. I loved those things when I was a kid.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Topcat]
      #5640837 - 01/24/13 02:33 PM

Did anybody ever order the giant weather balloon. The one in the catalog photograph that was a tall as the house it was next to

Edited by terraclarke (01/24/13 05:10 PM)

EJN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/01/05

Loc: 53 miles west of Venus
      #5640968 - 01/24/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

Did anybody ever order the giant weather balloon. The one in the catalog photograph that was a tall as the house it was nest to

I got the 8 foot balloon. I inflated with a shop vacuum in the basement of my
parents house. It hit something sharp & popped. They put a bunch of talcum powder
in them to keep it from sticking to itself when deflated. Everything in the basement
was covered with powder when it popped. My parents were not amused.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: EJN]
      #5641077 - 01/24/13 05:12 PM

I did a few things like that. Way more fun to think about now than it was to do it then! Nawwwwwww!

Topcat
sage

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: RI
      #5642055 - 01/25/13 07:58 AM

I was sort of fascinated by that weather balloon but never got one. I did mine that catalog for more than one grade school science project though. I think I still have a prism somewhere in my archives I got from them.

tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Topcat]
      #5642100 - 01/25/13 08:37 AM

Edmund has grown up just like we have. But you can still make your own astro gear from their stuff rather cheaply. I just ordered 3 BK7 ball lenses to make eyepieces. Gonna use cheap eyepiece housings we all have laying around. Now if only I can see the small parts to assemble, look they have magnifier head gear also!

Ducky62
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: The ATL
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: tomharri]
      #5643509 - 01/25/13 10:42 PM

I got a ceramic "super magnet" from Edmund when I was a kid. It was part of my treasure hunting arsenal.I used to go "fishing" with it off of bridges. I think I had visions of ditched crime weapons but as an adult you can imagine the rusty junk I actually reeled in. It was a lot of fun. I was working not too far from the old New Jersey store in the early 1990s. I made the pilgrimage and spent hours in there, bought a sack full of cheap science toys for a few bucks and fulfilled my childhood dream of looking through the Jap periscope.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: Ducky62]
      #5643517 - 01/25/13 10:52 PM

My brother had a magnet like that. I dont remember where he got it. it had a tremendous field strength; was about 8 inches or so long, a couple of inches wide, about an inch thick. It was like a giant bar magnet but the back side was nerdy smooth with curve beveled edges. It must have weighed about 2 pounds. Anyway, I remember that he stuck it on my Mom's new refrigerator. Boy, talk about drama! I have no memory how they ever got it off the refrigerator door!

Terra

proteus5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Southern New Jersey
      #5643885 - 01/26/13 07:30 AM

I go by Edmunds several times a week. What was the retail store is now Anchor Optics. They added onto the main building several years ago. I used to love going into the store in the late 70s and 80s. They had a surplus back room, and I built a couple of nice telescopes from parts that I got very cheap. I'd get a part for a mount, and go back several times a week looking for the next part. It would take months, a small part at a time but if you haunted the place and were patient you'd end up with a complete scope from surplus parts for a fraction of the cost.

I even worked there for a very short time in the late 80s running their small computer system they had for the mail order/retail side of things. 30% employee discount was great. I really miss that store

The Japanese periscope is long gone, when they closed the retail store they put everything up for sale, and if I remember it went for a thousand or so, would have been cool to have, I looked through it every time as I would leave the store.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: proteus5]
      #5646085 - 01/27/13 01:32 PM

also, check this place out: American Science and Surplus http://www.sciplus.com/ They have some hokey stuff, probably still the aluminum jumping discs and those birds that dunk endlessly into a glass of water, but also a lot of actual scientific and some optical goodies. They still print a newsprint catalog that's great fun to look through, and I've ordered from them several times and been satisfied.

Russ

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Whatever happened to Edmund Scientific? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5646399 - 01/27/13 04:38 PM

There was also Ward scientific in Rochester NY. They had more serious science stuff, but some surplus optics. They had a vast collection of rocks, minerals and meteorites. Still have some stuff I got on a field trip. They gave us cost on the rocks and minerals, things were pretty cheap. I still have a 3" yes 3" diameter single pyrite crystal I picked up for a few bucks.

Edited by bremms (01/27/13 05:06 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2168

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics