Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
joerbiker

Reged: 01/08/11

Loc: Illinois
Parks Technical Service
      #5666204 - 02/06/13 10:59 PM

Hi all. I'm curious as to whether anyone else has successfully contacted Parks Technical Support staff?

Two emails have gone unanswered.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: joerbiker]
      #5666314 - 02/07/13 12:26 AM

Last time I did was a year ago and I spoke with Joe Beck using:
jbeck@parksoptical.com

Robert

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: actionhac]
      #5666340 - 02/07/13 01:00 AM

I think Parks is out of business.

joerbiker

#5666555 - 02/07/13 07:10 AM

Thanks Robert and Dan. I'll try to do a little more digging, and use the direct email address.

Maybe, (Hopefully!) they're still around but just very busy.

Cheers,

starman876
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: VA
      #5666590 - 02/07/13 07:47 AM

I thought they had a phone number. That is how I used to deal with them

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: starman876]
      #5666602 - 02/07/13 08:02 AM

Good luck. I've also heard from multiple sources that Parks is out of business.

Maybe someone here could help you with a technical question?

JimC

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5666718 - 02/07/13 09:43 AM

Parks and Lumicon were subsidiaries of Scope city.

Lumicon was purchased and spun off as an independant company and is in business, Scope City and Parks have gone bankrupt, but the lady I recently spoke with at Parks has unrealistic hopes that someone with money will bring them back. I dont see that Parks has any future if Scope City couldnt make it. There is a Zombie website that is still up but no one is fulfilling orders or otherwise responding from it.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: dgreyson]
      #5666781 - 02/07/13 10:22 AM

Someone would have to find a way to make the Parks telescopes more affordable in order for the business to have much of a chance in this day and age.

Sad, too. If you took the concept of a Cave Astrola and modernized it a bit with goto servo drives on both axes, and hollow RA and Dec shafts - maybe even more like a Schaffer mount - you'd could have a line of very capable instruments.

-Tim.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: tim53]
      #5666942 - 02/07/13 11:47 AM

Parks out of business, what a shame.
I ordered a few small things from Parks and I have a lot of Parks stuff around here in or on or part of my scopes.
They were one of the oldies, sad.
I'll be out of business soon and then Parks will be open 24/7. I won't need any telescope parts though. I'm going to hitch a ride on a comet and just sit in my lazyboy destination unknown.

Robert

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5667063 - 02/07/13 01:07 PM

Parks demise has a lot to do with the very reason I can no longer go to the hardware store and buy a porcelain lightning arrestor for the long wire aerial on my 1920 Atwater Kent radio, nor can I find the 90v B or Eveready #761 4Ĺ volt "C" batteries I need for it anymore.

The demand is too low to support mass manufacturing, and because of that, you canít really make a living making Cave style telescopes anymore. There is still a relatively good supply of Cave, Optical Craftsmen, Starliner and yes even the lowly Meade Starfinder scopes on the market.

Because of that, there is little demand for new manufacture I guess.

Small kitchen table vendors just havenít completely stepped in to fill the shortfall for replacement parts even.

Parks Newtonian telescopes were too expensive for what you got, which resulted in low sales.
You can buy a Cave for a fraction of what Parks wanted for an identical scope.
Parks Newtonian telescopes represented an obsolete design that was too heavy and too bulky for the unwashed masses, which resulted in low sales.

Sometimes new technology such as the compact disc displaces older technology such as the LP even though the LP is absolutely and measurably superior simply due to the fact that CDís are more convenient and you donít have to mess with them all the time to keep them working like you have to do with vinyl.

Fortunately we have plenty of Luddites amoung us who keep these scopes from ending up abandonded in a field somewhere. I'm glad of that.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5667140 - 02/07/13 01:55 PM

Quote:

Good luck. I've also heard from multiple sources that Parks is out of business.

Maybe someone here could help you with a technical question?

JimC

Their parent company, Scope City is gone for sure. Parks? I am astounded they lasted as long as they did selling GEM Newts at prices that would give anyone pause, especially given that their quality, while often good was rarely great.

My Parks history? I bought an humble 6-inch f/8 primary from 'em in 1989. I could certainly have got it cheaper elsewhere. But Parks optics had a reputation for high quality back then. The reality? OK, nothing to write home about. I would have been better off with a fracking Coulter. Same goes for their other primaries, big and small, I've seen over the years.

Edited by rmollise (02/07/13 02:01 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

#5667147 - 02/07/13 01:59 PM

Quote:

Parks Newtonian telescopes were too expensive for what you got, which resulted in low sales.
You can buy a Cave for a fraction of what Parks wanted for an identical scope.
Parks Newtonian telescopes represented an obsolete design that was too heavy and too bulky for the unwashed masses, which resulted in low sales.

I ain't that unwashed, but the idea of paying what they asked for something I could get in better and cheaper form as a used Criterion or Cave or Edmund didn't light my fire. And anyone would think twice about manhandling one of their scopes into a freaking SmartCar for a trip to the dark site.

Littlegreenman
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/09/05

Loc: Southern California
      #5667149 - 02/07/13 02:00 PM

Quote:

....Parks Newtonian telescopes represented an obsolete design that was too heavy and too bulky for the unwashed masses, which resulted in low sales...

You make some spot-on points. I would like to ad that in the past 50 or so years there has been a shift in amateur astronomy necessitated by light pollution. That shift has moved away from a heavy permanently mounted or wheeled out scope toward equipment you can more easily transport to a dark site.

Some companies have met the need for mounts with a high load capacity that breaks down into lighter weight sections and that can be assembled with less effort in the field. I forget the prices of the Parks mounts, and if there was any competition in their price range. (I was thinking Astro-physics mounts, up to a point.)

LGM

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Littlegreenman]
      #5667330 - 02/07/13 03:45 PM

They made good tubes

But, while looking for a Tube when I was restoring the Horsetrail Cave, I contacted them to see what they could do. As you know, Caves with rotating rings must have tubes within a certain outside diameter in order to fit. So I talked to the Sales Gal who got me in contact with their Engineer who couldn't help because they did not have the capability to make tubes outside of the sizes they currently offered. Their line of tubes for 6/8/10/12.5 inch OTA's all had a larger outside diameters than the earlier ones used with Cave OTA's and probably other classic brands as well. I told them that they used to, but apparently, nobody's been there long enough to know what happened to the madrils they used back then.

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Datapanic]
      #5667371 - 02/07/13 04:01 PM

Quote:

They made good tubes

... So I talked to the Sales Gal who got me in contact with their Engineer who couldn't help because they did not have the capability to make tubes outside of the sizes they currently offered. Their line of tubes for 6/8/10/12.5 inch OTA's all had a larger outside diameters than the earlier ones used with Cave OTA's and probably other classic brands as well. I told them that they used to, but apparently, nobody's been there long enough to know what happened to the madrils they used back then.

This reminds me of the story of the Emperor of china and the clock. In 1582, Jesuit missionary Matteo Ricci presented the imperial court with a chiming mechanical clock. The entire court was astounded when it rang out the hour without anyone touching it. There wasnt anything like it in all of china.
The irony here, was that china had invented the chiming mechanical clock centuries ago, which fell into disuse because everyone was into cheap water clocks coz they rocked man, and the technology of striking clocks was lost and totally forgotten.

tim53
Postmaster

#5667403 - 02/07/13 04:17 PM

Quote:

Parks out of business, what a shame.
I ordered a few small things from Parks and I have a lot of Parks stuff around here in or on or part of my scopes.
They were one of the oldies, sad.
I'll be out of business soon and then Parks will be open 24/7. I won't need any telescope parts though. I'm going to hitch a ride on a comet and just sit in my lazyboy destination unknown.

Robert

Me? I expect I'll just drift back into the continuum from whence I came!

tim53
Postmaster

#5667432 - 02/07/13 04:28 PM

All seriousness aside, it would be really interesting to know what remains of things like patterns for mount parts and rotating rings, mandrels for fiberglass tubes, mirror grinding machines and the like.

How much would it cost to purchase the operation, and would that interest someone out there who isn't me? (because I'm old and set in my ways, and don't want to be a "boss").

-Tim.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5667482 - 02/07/13 05:00 PM

Who would you sell such things to? I am still puzzled about how in the hell Parks held on as long as they did without having a bookie joint in the back...

Bob Myler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: St Louis, MO
      #5667490 - 02/07/13 05:04 PM

This reminds me of the story of the Emperor of china and the clock. In 1582, Jesuit missionary Matteo Ricci presented the imperial court with a chiming mechanical clock. The entire court was astounded when it rang out the hour without anyone touching it. There wasnt anything like it in all of china.
The irony here, was that china had invented the chiming mechanical clock centuries ago, which fell into disuse because everyone was into cheap water clocks coz they rocked man, and the technology of striking clocks was lost and totally forgotten.

And 43 years after Apollo - we're still stuck in low earth orbit - and can no longer replicate tuning fork watches...

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Bob Myler]
      #5667539 - 02/07/13 05:31 PM

I was amazed that Scope City and Parks held on as long as they did. For years the Scope City store was 4 blocks from my house but it only took a couple of visits getting answers like "we don't believe in Laser collimators" and "we don't like Dobs" to cross them off the list, OPT is 25 miles up the road. 4 blocks or 25 miles, a trip the telescope store was 25 miles.

They had a lot of old style Newtonians on the floor but I don't think they sold very many, I have never seen one for sale used.

Jon

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: rmollise]
      #5667679 - 02/07/13 07:07 PM

Quote:

Who would you sell such things to?

I wouldn't need to sell many of anything if the tools to make things didn't cost much, didn't take up an inordinate amount of space, and I didn't have to pay rent for that space.

Rotating rings and tubes would be a nice thing to see remain available.

I'd still rather see a modern Newtonian than yet another SCT on the market...

...did I say that out loud?

-Tim.

Edited by BRisley (02/07/13 11:31 PM)

The Planetman
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/27/06

Loc: Western KY
      #5667716 - 02/07/13 07:30 PM

Quote:

-Tim.

Edited by BRisley (02/07/13 11:33 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5667735 - 02/07/13 07:44 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't need to sell many of anything if the tools to make things didn't cost much, didn't take up an inordinate amount of space, and I didn't have to pay rent for that space.

With a little juxtaposition, you have just explained why those big old Gem mounted scopes were left by the wayside. My "modern" 12.5 inch Newtonian is F/4, sits on Dobsonian mount and requires about 20" x 20" patch of seat space or floor space and can be setup in less than 10 minutes.. My "classic" 12.5 inch Equatorially mounted Newtonian takes two people to lift the OTA.

Jon

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5667741 - 02/07/13 07:49 PM

Yep.

While I've often said that I "don't like Dobsonians", the simple truth is that if I ever want a truly large Newtonian, I'm either going to have to have a permanent installation or I'm going to have to build a bloody Dob.

You can bet it'll track and rotate its focuser, though!
-Tim.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#5667979 - 02/07/13 10:27 PM

I'd like to see Parks come back with some retro scopes.
Like the RV-6 with push-to in 6"f8 and 8"f7. This would be very user friendly and very forgiving for collimation. And it will have tracking for astrophoto/imaging.
And the Coulter Odyssey's, only in carbon fiber and honeycomb space age materials. A nice minimalist solid tube.
And that convertible Newt-Cass f4/f15 they made.
And a aerospace division to make custom small order things with huge profits.

Robert

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

#5668220 - 02/08/13 01:11 AM

Parks would probably be around now if they used a little business sense and realized that their prospective customers do like dobs and started offering them in their lineup of scopes, at reasonable prices. But that was the problem - their prices weren't reasonable, their bottom of the line "Astrolight AZ6 System" went for $799! For $1050, the EQ6 didn't even have a Clock Drive. I think they were too stuck up on their brand name and not paying attention to how much more the competition offered for the same prices. Throw in a bad economy where everybody wants value for their money and there you have it - another one bites the dust.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5668362 - 02/08/13 05:59 AM

Quote:

Yep.

While I've often said that I "don't like Dobsonians", the simple truth is that if I ever want a truly large Newtonian, I'm either going to have to have a permanent installation or I'm going to have to build a bloody Dob.

-Tim.

Tracking is nice but Dobsonians really don't need a rotating focuser..

Jon

CHASLX200
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/29/07

Loc: Tampa area Florida
      #5668402 - 02/08/13 07:14 AM

I dealed with Parks many times over the years in the 80's and 90's. I had them build me a OTA around a Telescopics 12.5" F/8 mirror i had waited on for about 2 years. Telescopics closed the doors soon after i got my mirror. It took many calls and had to get SKY-Tele on Telescopics butt to get my mirror. Parks did a great job on the OTA and rotating rings, but that OTA was a back breaker at around 140 lbs.

I always loved the Parks tubes.

Chas

rmollise
Postmaster

#5668523 - 02/08/13 09:07 AM

Quote:

-Tim.

Have at it then...but I wouldn't borrow out of my 401K to do it. Your market will be the size of Parks'

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5668558 - 02/08/13 09:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

-Tim.

Have at it then...but I wouldn't borrow out of my 401K to do it. Your market will be the size of Parks'

Rather than assembling telescopes, making all the classic style components such as tube end rings, rotating rings, saddles and Long F# tubes etc. etc. would be a better marketing strategy. Parks component prices were a lot better than the Scope prices.

ATM's and Classics owners will always be interested in new build and replacement parts. I'd very much like a set of setting circles and pointers for a one inch shaft GEM.
I had been counting on Parks to buy those because they were the last vendor that sold them.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
      #5668681 - 02/08/13 10:41 AM

Bob,
I love your sentiment, I have never heard such better expressed.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5668691 - 02/08/13 10:50 AM

My only experience with them were their eps. Not the new ones but the pre-1980 ones. They made some nice eyepieces. I just gave a friend back a nice 32 mm Erfle so he would again have a complete collection. It was a beautiful eyepiece. He gave me a Unitron porro prism in mint condition in exchange and I needed it to complete my collection of Unitron accessories, but the biggest motivation was how much I knew he missed that eyepiece and that made me happy to do that. It reminded me of that military surplus ep that I gave up and have missed ever since (in that other thread a started a few days ago).

Terra

tim53
Postmaster

#5668720 - 02/08/13 11:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep.

-Tim.

Tracking is nice but Dobsonians really don't need a rotating focuser..

Jon

They do if you want to take long exposures of faint fuzzies!

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#5668724 - 02/08/13 11:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

-Tim.

Oh, I wouldn't! But having Parks' market size would be just right, IMHO.

-Tim.

joerbiker

#5669927 - 02/08/13 10:53 PM

Thank you Mirzam! If anyone has an answer I'm sure it would be someone from this group. So much accumulated knowledge!

I was really looking for some replacement parts and thought that the technical folks might be able to lead me there.

The search goes on....

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5670016 - 02/09/13 12:50 AM

Quote:

Thank you Mirzam! If anyone has an answer I'm sure it would be someone from this group. So much accumulated knowledge!

I was really looking for some replacement parts and thought that the technical folks might be able to lead me there.

The search goes on....

So what precisely are you looking for?

joerbiker

#5670283 - 02/09/13 08:24 AM

A couple of simple items, the dust caps, an owners manual, and lastly the "pan" handles for the Parks heavy duty tripod.

If I had the manual I could be more specific on the pan handles. They don't appear to attach as regular slow motion controls would.

I appreciate any help/direction you can provide!

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5670759 - 02/09/13 01:29 PM

Someone makes bigger plastic dustcaps, I disremember the vendor but thats commercially available. the manual and pan handles dunno, do you have a photo of what a pan handle is?

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
      #5670949 - 02/09/13 03:56 PM

These dust covers are very nice:

Astrozap dust covers

JimC

joerbiker

#5671515 - 02/09/13 10:26 PM

The only photo of the handles are Parks HD Tripod

I'm sure I could make something if I had a better idea of what they looked like.

That's why I'm hoping to find some owners manuals or other documentation.

Thanks!

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
      #5673702 - 02/11/13 09:44 AM

My club is blessed with a large collection of old-school Newts on GEMs, and an optician who is an absolute master at figuring the mirrors and aligning all the parts. I love those scopes for their superb views. The only problem is I can't lift many of them to carry them outside, which presses our super-strong optician to move them himself. (Apparently, that's easier than coordinating two working together.) So, add embarrassment to the practical problem of moving big Newts!

I would love to have a big Newt permanently mounted in an observatory. I'm okay with Dobs for low powers, but hate nudging them at high powers, although I could build an equatorial platform to fudge that. Still, all told, I can see how Parks met its demise. It's just so much easier to carry a little SCT anywhere! You know the rule: The scope that shows the most is the best one can buy. If it's stuck inside, it shows nothing.

The problem was not just the cost and weight of their big iron. One could buy a used Jason 313 Towa for under $100, or a new old stock of the same model, Parks branded, for $1,200. Not a recipe for success.

That said, I'm sorry to see Parks gone.

Littlegreenman
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/09/05

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5675003 - 02/11/13 11:41 PM

Prediction: in a few years some, not all, some of the Parks gear will become highly sought after collectibles!

No longer made! Buy!buy!buy!

LGM

Unknownastron
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Sout...
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #5675012 - 02/11/13 11:53 PM

It is always sad to see a long-established company go away, one with a name we remember pining over in a magazine 30, 40, dare I say even 50 years ago! I never had a Parks scope but the ones I have looked through have been good performers, if not outstanding. I still have my 32mm Erfle 2" that terraclarke mentioned and it holds it's own with the more modern hi-tech eyepieces in that range.
What most of us seldom think about is that over the whole world, telescopes are a small business. Since we want as many as we can afford we think everybody wants one. Not so. Other than Celestron, Meade, Zeiss, maybe Unitron at one time, no astronomy business has been what most businessmen would consider anything other than small. A large dairy farm, a medium furniture factory or similar manufacturing company probably has more employees, moves more product and has a larger cash flow and payroll than any astronomy company other than the ones I named. Maybe not even those. Even something as ubiquitous as a Telrad was made by three or so people.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Unknownastron]
      #5675057 - 02/12/13 12:25 AM

Quote:

It is always sad to see a long-established company go away, one with a name we remember pining over in a magazine 30, 40, dare I say even 50 years ago! I never had a Parks scope but the ones I have looked through have been good performers, if not outstanding. I still have my 32mm Erfle 2" that terraclarke mentioned and it holds it's own with the more modern hi-tech eyepieces in that range.
What most of us seldom think about is that over the whole world, telescopes are a small business. Since we want as many as we can afford we think everybody wants one. Not so. Other than Celestron, Meade, Zeiss, maybe Unitron at one time, no astronomy business has been what most businessmen would consider anything other than small. A large dairy farm, a medium furniture factory or similar manufacturing company probably has more employees, moves more product and has a larger cash flow and payroll than any astronomy company other than the ones I named. Maybe not even those. Even something as ubiquitous as a Telrad was made by three or so people.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

Parks made fiberglass tubes. They didn't start making scopes until Scope City (Maurice Sweiss) acquired the company and they acquired the residue of Cave. The early Parks scopes were essentially clones of Cave's. I bought Parks parts for my Cave mounts.

Edited to add: As of this moment, both Scope City and Parks Optical are listed as "active" corporations on the Calif. Secretary of State's website. If they are truly defunct, then I suppose it takes awhile for this to change as assets are liquidated and the inevitable lawsuits are filed for unpaid liabilities.

Edited by Calypte (02/12/13 12:35 AM)

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Calypte]
      #5675445 - 02/12/13 09:30 AM

Actually the 32 mm Parks Erfle was a 1.25 inch and it was a beautiful eyepiece. It was in the 1.25 inch socket of my Unihex, but now I have the highly sought after Unitron 40 mm monochromatic eyepiece to take that place

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Littlegreenman]
      #5675563 - 02/12/13 10:39 AM

Quote:

Prediction: in a few years some, not all, some of the Parks gear will become highly sought after collectibles!

No longer made! Buy!buy!buy!
LGM

That just shows how clueless Scope city and Parks marketing efforts were. Had they any sense, when they got in a bind, they should have been posting on Cloudynights, Astromart and all the other Astronomy boards out there that they were having a fire sale and moved out a lot of classic and current parts inventory.

My gut feeling is that as they hadnt been paying their suppliers, pretty much all they had was out on the showroom floor and the back room wasnt chock full of Deluxe Observatory mounts and components. It had been picked clean over the years and all they had was bits and pieces of broken stuff.

I may be wrong, if we are lucky, maybe there will be a big auction one day and a hella bunch of scope parts and classic Parks scopes will come into circulation.

When AC Gilbert's American Flyer closed, the AF factory was several storys full of bins of pristine model trains and train parts. One dealer went in and loaded up his garage and spare room full of train parts. The vast bulk of it went to scrap dealers who melted it all down. What a waste.

Fortunately, Lionel Trains bought the production gear and moulds, and occasionally do limited releases of high end AF train engines for those who can afford it.

Scope City is likely hoping someone with big pockets will come in and buy the business intact or invest serious support in re-opening, I much doubt thats gonna ever happen.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5675728 - 02/12/13 12:19 PM

I believe you are correct. I don't think Parks produced that many complete scopes over the years--or sold many. I've been to countless star parties from coast to coast and have never seen a Parks Newt on an observing field, not one, not ever.

There are just not enough out there to make an impact now or in the future and no reason to want one in preference to a Cave or a Criterion or an Edmund or whatever classic Newt floats somebody's boat.

Edited by rmollise (02/12/13 12:21 PM)

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5675858 - 02/12/13 01:24 PM

Quote:

I believe you are correct. I don't think Parks produced that many complete scopes over the years--or sold many. I've been to countless star parties from coast to coast and have never seen a Parks Newt on an observing field, not one, not ever.

There are just not enough out there to make an impact now or in the future and no reason to want one in preference to a Cave or a Criterion or an Edmund or whatever classic Newt floats somebody's boat.

This explains why I can't find your "Choosing and using a new GEM mounted Newtonian: heavy metal always rocks (in the wind)" Book on Amazon then.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5675872 - 02/12/13 01:33 PM

There ARE no new GEM Newts....but I've got my RV-6 and Pal Junior, so I am good to go...

tim53
Postmaster

#5678058 - 02/13/13 05:37 PM

Quote:

There ARE no new GEM Newts....but I've got my RV-6 and Pal Junior, so I am good to go...

This isn't strictly true. People who recognize the merits of the simple, all-reflective Newtonian for truly hyperapochromatic (no need for color correction because it wasn't messed up to begin with) and astrographic performance (short F ratios can use paracorrs, long ratios don't need them) have never stopped building GEM-mounted Newtonians.

This one I made the whole OTA, including the optics. others, I've made the GEM as well (Springfield mounting) My home-builts will be the last to go, if I'm ever in a financial bind, after the classics. The few modern store-boughts I own will be sacrificed first:

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

#5678116 - 02/13/13 06:16 PM

I've seen listings for at least a half dozen Parks Newts or HITs on ebay, CL or astromart over the past few years, so they are out there. They look like slightly modernized Caves, which isn't surprising since they got all the Cave mount patterns when Cave folded. The drives look like they were upgraded at least to DC drives, possibly with HCs, but I don't know if they were ever goto. New, they were astronomically priced (puns are always intentional), but used they seem to be comparable to similar vintage Caves and other Newt makers' scopes on the used market.

I'm betting that classic Newts (and used Parks scopes) will remain inexpensive like classic refractors were until a few years ago when everybody seemed to get wind how wonderful they turned out to be. Then, it might turn around, and even new Newts on gems might be economical to make, provided they're modernized with all the electrogizmology offered by the SCT makers.

Then, all you'd need would be for the potential buyers to get rid of those pathetic little hatchbacks they're driving and get a real vehicle to transport them in!

"Milady can have her Sport Coupe.
Let the fancies fondle their Phaetons.
And the snobbish are welcome to their Town Cars.
But, Give a MAN a TRUCK!"

rmollise
Postmaster

#5678141 - 02/13/13 06:32 PM

Quote:

This isn't strictly true.

Weeeelllll....what can I say? I wasn't being exactly serious, hence the smiley.

Of course there are GEM Newts and plenty of them from several sources beginning with Synta.

There just aren't any more of the PARKS sort of Newtonians. Which ain't a wholly bad thing.

Ducky62
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: The ATL
      #5678379 - 02/13/13 09:21 PM

Someone has been selling a lot of "new" Parks and Lumicon and,so far, two Zeiss Asiola spotting scopes on Ebay lately. Maybe it is a former employee or a creditor.

Deepskymart

I just bought a Parks hybrid diagonal from them. $16 + $7 shipping.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5678444 - 02/13/13 09:58 PM

Nice work, Tim.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5678891 - 02/14/13 07:31 AM

I love PARKS but they were entrenched in 60s technology and just withered on the vine. China was the death of these folks.

Pete

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5678913 - 02/14/13 07:52 AM

Quote:

Of course there are GEM Newts and plenty of them from several sources beginning with Synta.

There just aren't any more of the PARKS sort of Newtonians. Which ain't a wholly bad thing.

I doubt that the big old Newts will ever become popular the way the small old refractors did. They are just too impractical... they were observatory scopes and today, there are more compact scopes that do not require such a large observatory... They are dinosaurs.

But.. I do think there was wisdom in their design. Big tubes, rotating rings, composite rather than metal tubes. When you buy a Synta Newtonian on a GEM, the GEM is not designed with a Newtonian in mind, in particular, the tripod.

Tripods are great for refractors and SCTs, scopes that have the eyepiece on the wrong end of the scope. The mount needs to be high off the ground because the closer to the zenith one gets, the closer to the ground the eyepiece is. But Newtonians do not have this problem and mounting them on tripods means the mounting point is higher than it needs to be. Not bad with a shorter scope but not good with a big scope. Another disadvantage the Tripod mounted Newtonian is that the observer can end up straddling the tripod, the legs end up being in the wrong place.

Jon

rmollise
Postmaster

#5679002 - 02/14/13 09:23 AM

Well, yes and no. There were some things to like about the old rigs, but the killer was that they were just far shakier than their looks and weight would indicate. For a portable telecope, a pedestal is just nowhere. Even a 6-inch like the RV-6 is a royal pain to put in a vehicle.

tim53
Postmaster

#5679075 - 02/14/13 10:02 AM

Not in my vehicle!

-Tim.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5679151 - 02/14/13 10:46 AM

Too bad. It's a cool truck. I like it.

Terra

actionhac
Post Laureate

#5679209 - 02/14/13 11:12 AM Attachment (2 downloads)

I have some newts that require a GEM like my hillbilly super planetary.
This marvelous instrument is "hands off" at the extremely high observing magnifications.
Precise polar alignment and high precision drive keep the object centered in the FOV and you control breathing during the the tiny focus corrections.

tim53
Postmaster

#5679257 - 02/14/13 11:34 AM

A 6" or 8" newt on a 1.5" shaft mount is a steady scope and not much less portable than an 8" sct, and more portable than a 10" or larger sct. A 10" newt on a 1.5" shaft mount is starting to get a bit undermounted, but is comparable to a 10" sct for setup - easier in fact if the mount is on wheels and being rolled in and out of the house.

My 8" oc connoisseur is rock steady. It's also easy to transport, as the legs are aluminum and mount to the pier with thumbscrews from the outside.

My nexstar 9.25 is a pain to set up on the wedge in the field. Definitely less portable than my 10" f/6 newt on the Tak em-500 mount, and even more so on the njp. The em-500 is far steadier, though, so I prefer it for my bigger scopes. Of course, I also prefer vehicles I can sleep in, so most also have room for the larger scopes.

Tim

starman876
Post Laureate

#5679340 - 02/14/13 12:18 PM

Nice scope. I have an 8" mirror I keep planning to put into a tube. However, I think it is an F12. I am thinking of just using a 8 foot 2x4 and get creative or build a folded refractor. Hmm does this require a new post

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5679377 - 02/14/13 12:39 PM

Quote:

A 6" or 8" newt on a 1.5" shaft mount is a steady scope and not much less portable than an 8" sct, and more portable than a 10" or larger sct. A 10" newt on a 1.5" shaft mount is starting to get a bit undermounted, but is comparable to a 10" sct for setup - easier in fact if the mount is on wheels and being rolled in and out of the house.

My 8" oc connoisseur is rock steady. It's also easy to transport, as the legs are aluminum and mount to the pier with thumbscrews from the outside.

My nexstar 9.25 is a pain to set up on the wedge in the field. Definitely less portable than my 10" f/6 newt on the Tak em-500 mount, and even more so on the njp. The em-500 is far steadier, though, so I prefer it for my bigger scopes. Of course, I also prefer vehicles I can sleep in, so most also have room for the larger scopes.

Tim

For visual observing, chuck the wedge in the comparisons...

And really, the comparison is between a Dob mounted Newtonian and a GEM...

I can setup my 25 inch F/5 Obsession without outside help. In fact, I prefer to do it by myself but with someone standing watch just in case. I cannot setup my 12.5 inch Meade RG without someone to help...

Comparing my 12.5 inch Dob to the 12.5 inch on a GEM, it's a no brainer, the Dob is a truss with a 19" x 20" foot print that it 28" tall with the upper cage is nested.

The world has changed in the last 30 years.

Jon

starman876
Post Laureate

#5679426 - 02/14/13 01:07 PM

I like the way my Porta Ball sets up

tim53
Postmaster

#5679444 - 02/14/13 01:14 PM

Yep. Someday I'm going to have to build a dob.

Tim

rmollise
Postmaster

#5679501 - 02/14/13 01:36 PM

Quote:

Not in my vehicle!

Oh, I get get a scope like that into my 4Runner...the problem is getting it TO the 4Runner...

tim53
Postmaster

#5679654 - 02/14/13 02:43 PM

Well, there's that, and then there's the fact that my vehicle can't go over about 60mph on the freeway, and 35 up the grades! That didn't use to be a big deal, but now with everybody in their Lincoln Navigator SPUTES driving to Vegas at 90mph, I'd be squashed like a bug before I (or they) even knew it!

-Tim.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #5679753 - 02/14/13 03:31 PM

You have a VW van thing with a flatbed right? Driven a few old VW vans.. Slow does not describe the experience.. Glacial... Yea, it's not suitable for today's traffic ( really wasn't back then either) Still love to have one though.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5679802 - 02/14/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

Well, there's that, and then there's the fact that my vehicle can't go over about 60mph on the freeway, and 35 up the grades! That didn't use to be a big deal, but now with everybody in their Lincoln Navigator SPUTES driving to Vegas at 90mph, I'd be squashed like a bug before I (or they) even knew it!

-Tim.

If you think that is slow...

Back in the 70's when I was hauling hay, I had a loaded setup of doubles out of California City. Pulling out of Kramer Junction towards Adelanto on the 395, some guy with with a VW-Microbus towing an 8 or 10 foot box trailer passed me.

Of course I was not concerned about being crushed by an errant SUV driver.

Jon

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: bremms]
      #5679912 - 02/14/13 05:19 PM

Quote:

You have a VW van thing with a flatbed right? Driven a few old VW vans.. Slow does not describe the experience.. Glacial... Yea, it's not suitable for today's traffic ( really wasn't back then either) Still love to have one though.

VW still makes them, but VWoA doesn't import them

This one's even a 4x4:

I still have my 2001 Eurovan weekender. With the 201 hp V6, it's nothing like the old transporters on the grades:

-Tim.

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
      #5680012 - 02/14/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

-Tim.

In 1969 I was finishing up my army time in the DC area. To get around I bought a '58 VW bug. Top speed was 62 mph. Under no conditions would it go faster. Fortunately traffic on the Beltway didn't move very fast. I often wondered if VW chose that speed because it equals 100 kmh.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#5680017 - 02/14/13 06:24 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

All I have left to do is fix the overdrive and the air conditioning and this will be my telescope transporter.
Its a superb automobile. Huge cargo area and a soft coil spring suspension. Very good on fuel 4cyl. My wife calls it "the banana".

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
      #5680052 - 02/14/13 06:53 PM

I bet she does....

tim53
Postmaster

#5680053 - 02/14/13 06:53 PM

Is that a ...? Never mind!

We had a Volvo sedan about that vintage for my daughter when she first got her license. Had over 200K miles on it when we got it. Great car. Probably saved her life when someone's tire blew on the freeway and they spun out in front of her.

My pickup is great for hauling that 12.5" Observatory Cave. I don't have to lift anything really. I used the cherry picker to lift the eq head, but I've been thinking about mounting one in the back of the truck so I have it with me all the time. Then, I'll just have to make it a bit more gutsy by either building a performance VW engine for it, or swapping in a Subaru or something.

I once saw a 67 VW crew cab with an Olds Toronado 454 cu in V8 and transaxle mounted under the bed. I bet it was hard keeping that one on the ground!

-Tim.

CHASLX200
Post Laureate

#5680179 - 02/14/13 08:38 PM

My days of wrestling big ,long and heavy Newts are over. My 12.5" F/8 was around 140lbs for just the OTA. Parks did a great job building the OTA around the Telescopics mirror, but it sure was heavy. This pic was taken in 1990. I waited for 2 years for Telescopics to build me a 12.5" F/8 OTA. After many calls to Telescopics and getting SKY&Tele on their butts i at least got the mirror and sent it off to Parks to build me the OTA. Telescopics closed the door soon after i got the mirror.
Chas

Edited by CHASLX200 (02/14/13 08:39 PM)

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: CHASLX200]
      #5680264 - 02/14/13 09:45 PM

I had a 240 5speed a couple years ago, really liked that car. My next door neighbors son and daughter in law have it now. IpD springs, Bilstein shocks and VX cam. Still not fast, but a Ferrari compared to an old VW bus. My home built Lotus has 240 drivetrain. Motor , trans, rear diff, about 40 more HP than stock. Car weighs 1375 lbs curb.
My favorite slow car was my Fiat 850 sedan. 817 cc of sheer speed. It would do 80mph though. I did put my 6" F8 in there a couple of times.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: bremms]
      #5680288 - 02/14/13 09:57 PM

I hauled my Cave 8" f/7 Lightweight Deluxe around in my '74 Pinto hatchback - no problems!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5680768 - 02/15/13 07:21 AM

Quote:

I hauled my Cave 8" f/7 Lightweight Deluxe around in my '74 Pinto hatchback - no problems!

I hauled my 12.5 inch F/6 Meade RG in our 1992 Ford Escort Hatchback... one time.

Jon

tim53
Postmaster

#5681128 - 02/15/13 10:46 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

I took a couple telescopes and camping gear up to RTMC in the back of my 31 Panel Delivery one year. With the overdrive (gear splitter, really), I could get up to 28mph on the mountain.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5681139 - 02/15/13 10:49 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

Gets me and the scopes around with speed and torque to spare.

The Planetman
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/27/06

Loc: Western KY
      #5681230 - 02/15/13 11:34 AM

We should start an official "What do you use, or have used, to haul your scopes?" thread.
I use to haul my RV-6 around in the trunk of my 1970 Monte Carlo back in the mid-80's. And yes, the OTA was wrapped in an old comforter to protect it. As a matter of fact, that's where I stored it for a while. Never knew when I was going to be out somewhere and found some dark skies!

starman876
Post Laureate

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: The Planetman]
      #5681331 - 02/15/13 12:22 PM

Terra

You got any guns in the back window of that truck

starman876
Post Laureate

#5681338 - 02/15/13 12:25 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

here is my scope buggy

tim53
Postmaster

#5681347 - 02/15/13 12:28 PM

Quote:

Terra

You got any guns in the back window of that truck

Lol. Funny thing is that my vw singlecab had a gun rack in the back window when I bought it. I still have it somewhere.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5681427 - 02/15/13 01:00 PM

Hey, I live in Kentucky

Terra

starman876
Post Laureate

#5681577 - 02/15/13 01:57 PM

that is why I asked. I bet you are not favoring more gun control. You would have hang something else in the back window of that truck

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5681706 - 02/15/13 02:48 PM

The Stars and Bars are not hanging in my truck's rear window thank you very much.

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5681748 - 02/15/13 03:10 PM

Quote:

The Stars and Bars are not hanging in my truck's rear window thank you very much.

I take it then the guy who was pan handling for Parks parts is out of luck? oh well! Maybe Crawmach could make him a couple.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5681764 - 02/15/13 03:20 PM

huh?

starman876
Post Laureate

#5681786 - 02/15/13 03:32 PM

I have these moments also

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5681800 - 02/15/13 03:36 PM

Mirzam was looking for parks parts, a "pan handle" I thought, It was for a photography tripod so no luck im thinking. Maybe that was a different thread, my bad.
I am easily confused I think.

I have a toyota Tundra and it carries my 12" cave and 10" dob just fine. please continue.

P.S. No, I looked back, It was this thread. JoeBiker was looking,

Edited by dgreyson (02/15/13 03:41 PM)

tim53
Postmaster

#5681895 - 02/15/13 04:24 PM

Seriously, if I could acquire some of the Parks tooling and patterns cheap, and put them someplace, I'd be happy to make parts to order on a really limited basis.

But I have a day job that I'm hoping will last many Mars years to come (Curiosity and Opportunity science team). I do want to play with telescopes and observing a lot more when I have to retire, though.

-Tim.

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5681965 - 02/15/13 04:58 PM

I can do the aluminum casting if you need a minion, I was going to cast another Cave finder bracket as I only had one, But Rolando had a nicer set he let me have. Terra can do the machinining. Now all you need is a credulous rich guy, um i mean a sponsor. Put me down for the first setting circle pointer you make, I want one for the Dec axis on my cave.

CHASLX200
Post Laureate

#5682333 - 02/15/13 08:58 PM

Quote:

Gets me and the scopes around with speed and torque to spare.

I will race it.

Chas

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: CHASLX200]
      #5682384 - 02/15/13 09:22 PM

Varoom, varoom

joerbiker

#5682553 - 02/15/13 11:10 PM

Yep, still here! Just enjoy watching where the conversation goes!

FWIW, it's a 60mm Pioneer. Nice little scope could be (my) first light tonight.

I'd just like to make it complete.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#5685173 - 02/17/13 12:58 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

If it ever stops raining around here I have a Parks mirror to test:

johnlynch

Reged: 02/08/09

Loc: virginia
      #5776750 - 04/03/13 11:21 PM

Tim,

I dealt with Parks Optical for several years to slowly acquire various components for a 12.5" f/5 reflector that I intend to build when I retire. I'd seen too many companies go out of business and decided I'd get what I needed and just put them in inventory. Luckily I purchased a large fiberglass tube, Superior Mount, and rotating rings a few years before their demise. I got to be good friends with the fellow who provided technical advice and he assisted me a great deal. Here were the events that led up to their closing:
1) fellow who had for a long time built their clockdrives retired in about 2007
2) custom manufacture of fiberglass tubes ceased in 2008-this was a father-and-son operation near Phoenix, Arizona and to my knowledge the equipment still exists
3) Production Manager quit the company shortly thereafter
4) it took them 6 months to ship my large fiberglass tube
5) Eddie Sweiss was running the company for awhile and shut down the machine shop
6) they were having business disagreements related to up front payments with the company that did their powder coatings in 2010
Talk about clues! When I heard that they discontinued custom manufacture of their fiberglass tubes, my reaction was that any company that abandons their "signature" product is failing. A big shame.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: johnlynch]
      #5776878 - 04/04/13 12:47 AM

John:

Very interesting. Man, Parks supplied so many of our favorite manufacturer's tubes for so long. But people do age and move on. Sounds like much of the tooling to make components is probably gone now. Truly that is a shame.

-Tim.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
      #5776914 - 04/04/13 01:37 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

Tim, not gone. It's a time warp.

Hey All,

I am not sure how I missed this thread. Since the closing I have been over to the Parks/Scope City store, met with Maurice Sweiss (owner), and met/bought several items from Marc who is selling off the inventory. I could probably write a book just on my day with Maurice, but I will keep it simple.

1) Maurice seems like a really nice guy. It's sad what happened to Scope City/Parks. Obviously a lot of what is stated above is true with regard to the business plan.
2) Most anything you want from Parks is available for sale, probably only in bulk.
3) The original optical equipment, machining equipment, tools, dies, etc. are all still there. It's an amazing vault of history.
4) Marc is selling off some of the smaller inventory as deepskymart on ebay. Great prices on some really good stuff. Did you know all the Parks GS-7 eyepieces can convert to 2x the FL with the simple removal of the last optical assembly which just unscrews from the bottom? I just met Marc again tonight and picked up some amazing 10x42 binoculars. These are Zeiss like
5) Larger items at Scope City/Parks are for sale by pick up only
6) Maurice has an amazing collection of antique optical items. If those go up for sale, the bidding should be fun.
7) If you ever wanted to start your own classic telescope store, the opportunity may be there.

Steve

starman876
Post Laureate

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #5778373 - 04/04/13 06:58 PM

I have been buying things from Marc through Ebay. IT is a shame that more interesting things do not come up for sale. IT was funny when I asked Marc where he got the stuff he told me at an auction

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
      #5778615 - 04/04/13 09:29 PM

I think it was at auction. Just a very private one

I suspect we will see more more interesting items coming up. It's just a matter of being prepared to sell AND ship them

Lumicon
Vendor

Reged: 10/07/12

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #5780453 - 04/05/13 08:30 PM

If anyone needs assistance with Parks items or is trying to locate specific parts, please contact me at mneveux at lumicon dot com and I will try to help you out. We have the same tech guy from Parks now working for us at Lumicon as well as we recruited one of the top astronomy experts from the Bay area to manage Lumicon. We also have access to many, many Parks parts.

Marc

Lumicon
Vendor

Reged: 10/07/12

#5780459 - 04/05/13 08:33 PM

Quote:

John:

Very interesting. Man, Parks supplied so many of our favorite manufacturer's tubes for so long. But people do age and move on. Sounds like much of the tooling to make components is probably gone now. Truly that is a shame.

-Tim.

All the tooling and molds are still in existence as well as completed tubes.

Marc

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Lumicon]
      #5780954 - 04/06/13 12:20 AM

Marc I may have already told the story somewhere of the Toy store owner who bought up his garage and basement and spare bedroom full of American flyer Trains, track and accessories when AC Gilbert co went out of business. They couldnt give it away at the time and were selling it all for scrap plastic and metal heaped into bins. He paid pennies on the dollars for it by the ton. Eventually all those thousands of trains started wearing out and he has a very nice living now selling replacement toy train parts. Give all the thousands of classic Newtonians sold a little time to age out and start getting worn and Parks components will be a lot more in demand than just now. Gilberts rival Lionel bought the moulds and production and now sells a different limited edition Flyer Engine each year for a thousand an engine. Thats not bad for a toy train. I'm glad you are keeping that stuff out of the scrap yard, Parks was the last game in town for a lot of stuff. I just did business with you today for some dark matter and would and will buy from you again. Let's hope Lumicon and the universe will both keep expanding for a long long time to come.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
      #5780966 - 04/06/13 12:32 AM

I just bought from mark also and will again in the future. Good luck my friend. Keep it alive.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5780967 - 04/06/13 12:32 AM

I just bought from mark also and will again in the future. Good luck my friend. Keep it alive.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: turk123]
      #5780971 - 04/06/13 12:37 AM

Why does CN keep choking all the time? Caused a double post. Time to upgrade or something!

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: turk123]
      #5780981 - 04/06/13 12:48 AM

Quote:

Why does CN keep choking all the time? Caused a double post. Time to upgrade or something!

CN has had an influx of connections over the last few months. If you click on forums and scroll all the way down, you will see the Max Users Online running count has been steadily increasing and usually reflects the 'just now' current record being broken.

tim53
Postmaster

#5781000 - 04/06/13 01:10 AM

Well, I'm certainly glad that some stock still exists. Please keep supplying components! I may be interested in a set of rotating rings or two in the not too distant future.

So Lumicon survives? That's good news at least. I've got a couple of the helical focusers and they're my favorite!

-Tim.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Parks Technical Service new [Re: Lumicon]
      #5781261 - 04/06/13 08:24 AM

Hurrah for Lumicon! Good to see them back in the game, and that the Parks stock and tooling is in safe hands. Dgreyson's anology with AF trains is spot on, as spare parts will always be needed down the road. I suspect that there may well be a second Golden Age of large reflectors in the offing, and any firm in a position to fill demand when it occurs might do very well, indeed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4220

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics