Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Da Bear
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/06

Loc: Kali-Forn-Ya
Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #5852434 - 05/10/13 06:08 PM

That photo --cradling the scope--- is absolutely priceless. You should write an article for CN about this adventure.

Wonderful Terra.

Da Bear

Edited by Da Bear (05/10/13 06:09 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: Da Bear]
      #5852443 - 05/10/13 06:14 PM

Thank you Mr. Bear

This was the original inspiration for my telescope. It's on p.6 of the Cave catalog and billed as the Astrola 6" Richest Field Telescope. Interestingly, the model in the picture is also "cradling" a scope in her arms as well. The Cave scope was F4, mine was F4.5 but the final figure was still Cave.

http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/classics/cave/cave.pdf

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: Da Bear]
      #5852444 - 05/10/13 06:14 PM

That is a great idea!! Not like we're trying to toss you under a bus or anything Terra.
I had a couple of those PVC caps for my RV6 ordered them from who knows where. They were floppy when it was hot.

starman876
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: VA
Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: terraclarke]
      #5852516 - 05/10/13 06:48 PM

You might be in for a new carreer Terra. Modeling telscopes like the girl in that cave catalog.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: starman876]
      #5852729 - 05/10/13 08:59 PM

LOL Johann.

Andy Taylor
Twisted, but in a Good Way

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Epsom - UK
      #5853924 - 05/11/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

Thank you Mr. Bear

This was the original inspiration for my telescope. It's on p.6 of the Cave catalog and billed as the Astrola 6" Richest Field Telescope. Interestingly, the model in the picture is also "cradling" a scope in her arms as well. The Cave scope was F4, mine was F4.5 but the final figure was still Cave.

http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/classics/cave/cave.pdf

love those drawings of Mars showing canals...

SteveNH
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Millbrae, CA
Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: Andy Taylor]
      #5854095 - 05/11/13 04:39 PM

Hi Terra, I just had to chime in and add my comments to your incredible reunion. What joy! The moment I saw that picture of you cradling your RFT, it made me think of that model you describe in my old Cave catalog. I’ll have to admit, that picture has so much more impact and class when the person holding the telescope is an accomplished ATM-er (as well as collector and observer) such as you, rather than just a model (or relative)...

Anyway, your story has hit a special cord in me because I too, in the mid-60's, had started a 6” f/4.5 (aimed for 4, but became 4.5) from my leftover Edmund mirror grinding kit supplies. I got it fully polished, but never had a chance to figure it by the time high school and college took over. So looking at your finished product gleaming in your arms is touching, and an incredible source of inspiration for me. Your pearl white tube is beautiful; by the way, I was able to get a 7” OD aluminum seamless tube from Optica b/c in Oakland for my 6” f/10 (c.1965) – but it may have been their last piece, as it was squashed a little at one end – I had my huge friend stomp on it back to round!

Also, thank you for including the link to the catalogue. I stupidly threw mine out after I bought Cave’s mount in the early ‘70’s, and haven’t seen one for a long time – it’s so nostalgic. I remember mine having a more pink and white background with a younger model on the cover (maybe a later issue?) but the contents intantly brought back all the memories.

Happy Mother’s Day!
Great post!
Steve

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: SteveNH]
      #5855052 - 05/12/13 09:08 AM

Wow Steve. I am overwhelmed by your post. Thank you very much. I am so glad that you enjoyed this thread of my story and that it brought back happy memories to you.

Terra

Blake Andrews
sage

Reged: 07/31/08

Loc: Iowa
      #5855984 - 05/12/13 05:43 PM

Quote:

Note the finder still has the 'Passed Sticker" from the Japanese Telescope Institute! How cool is that. Purchased in 1966? Right out of a time capsule!

Congratulations on your family reunion. That is indeed a special scope. I've enjoyed sharing the journey with you.

Also, thank you for helping me resolve a mystery regarding the Oval gold foil JTII stickers! I have several Celestron eyepieces with that very same sticker. I was pretty sure that they were from the mid-1960's and your finderscope story confirms it for me.

In the post following the one that I've replied to there is a symbol next to the focuser. What does it signify? Is it a logo?

Thanks, again!
- Blake

snell1

Reged: 09/26/04

#5856082 - 05/12/13 06:42 PM

Terra, what an astonishing story, I think the best here, ever. And what a wonderful mother's day gift. That slick reddish-cover catalog brings back memories, I believe it is identical to the one I had, maybe the same issue. I remember the picture with the 6" RFT, and especially the one on the back cover with the 8" model B deluxe, that was my ideal. Then I looked in the product list -- 6" mirror refigure for $35. I had mine refigured and remember the price, must be the same catalog. I had one of the 6" f/8 Edmund mirrors from the "bad" period and had to have it redone. Came back one of the best optics I've ever seen. Interestingly, the coating on it is still good after about five decades (in a not-good environment, chemical plant only a mile away for many years). I wonder why there is so much trouble with coating durability these days, they seemed to know how to do it then.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: snell1]
      #5856237 - 05/12/13 08:04 PM

"In the post following the one that I've replied to there is a symbol next to the focuser. What does it signify? Is it a logo?"

Hi Blake, that isn't a logo by the focuser, its a foil sticker of a crescent moon and star that my daughter gave me when she was 6 or 7 years old (she's now 29) from a page of stickers she got. We put it on the telescope way back then and its still there.

Terra

Blake Andrews
sage

Reged: 07/31/08

Loc: Iowa
      #5856245 - 05/12/13 08:10 PM

Quote:

"In the post following the one that I've replied to there is a symbol next to the focuser. What does it signify? Is it a logo?"

Hi Blake, that isn't a logo by the focuser, its a foil sticker of a crescent moon and star that my daughter gave me when she was 6 or 7 years old (she's now 29) from a page of stickers she got. We put it on the telescope way back then and its still there.

Terra

That scope is just full of wonderful memories. Never let it go again!

B.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: Blake Andrews]
      #5856894 - 05/13/13 06:59 AM

What mount are you going to put it on? Picture please of it all together.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: OMG! Guess what turned up today!!! new [Re: turk123]
      #5857085 - 05/13/13 09:48 AM

Quote:

What mount are you going to put it on? Picture please of it all together.

Hi Tom,

The mount I originally had for that telescope has not yet turned up. However, it was in the same storage lot and is probably in another moving box in my friend's basement. It will take another trip down to her place and going through a bunch of boxes to turn it up if its still there. We will look for it at some point.

Actually, the first mount was an alt-az pipe mount on a 4x4 pier designed after one in Sam Brown's Edmund Book about "How to Build a Telescope." That mount rode on the pipe threads and is long gone. It was replaced not to long after the telescope was built with an Edmund Mount (the one presently hiding in storage). That Edmund Mount was the same one as they supplied for their 4 1/4 F10 reflector, except it was on a short wood tripod (Edmund), and had a longer stainless steel counter-weight bar that a friend machined for me and two of the counterweights rather than the one that came with the mount. The extra Edmund counterweight and longer bar easily accommodated the heavy 12 pound OTA.

As that mount is currently missing, I will have to improvise. The rings of this telescope have a wide base and each require two bolts rather than the customary one. I had a wide steel base plate machined for them (about 2 1/2 inches wide or so). I will bolt a short Vixen dovetail rail to the bottom of the plate and then I will be able to use the scope with my Universal Astronomics Unistar Deluxe mount and heavy duty steel tripod. The telescope, being primarily an RFT does wonderfully on an alt-az mount and that mount will very ably handle its weight. it's the same mount that I use for my 5 and 6 inch F5 refractors.

I will post pictures when I get it mounted and of course, when I lay my hands on the old Edmund mount.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5878183 - 05/22/13 02:27 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Well, I got the scope mounted today and looked through her for the first time in many years. Just looked at tree tops, telephone insulators, etc., checked the collimation, aligned the finder etc. Still presents crystal clear, sharp images using a wide field 19mm eyepiece to yield ~35X.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5878196 - 05/22/13 02:32 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

I still haven't been able to locate the original Edmund Eq. mount, but the scope's mounting plate had a row of five 1/4-20 tapped holes down the center, designed to allow for balancing. And I just happened to have the perfect mount and tripod for the scope. And guess what, the mount head is 1/4-20.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5878201 - 05/22/13 02:34 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

The mount/tripod is very stable, has smooth alt-az motions, adjustable tension, horizontal and vertical locks, is adjustable height, and best of all, it is perfectly consistent with the age of the telescope (1960s).

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5878209 - 05/22/13 02:37 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

These mounts were available to ATMers back when I built this telescope, though I purchased mine many years later. It is an American-made (NY) Professional Jr. 16mm motion picture camera tripod like those used to make the old time news-reels. This one was military surplus and dates to WWII.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5878215 - 05/22/13 02:39 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

I always thought that an alt-az mount would have been perfect for this scope. Now it has one. This will be its dedicated "ride." I'm pretty happy with it now, just as it is.

starman876
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: VA
      #5878244 - 05/22/13 02:47 PM

Awesome combo Terra. I saw an old Emunds mount on either Cloudynights or Astromart today for $125.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3385

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics