Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)
turk123
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: dgreyson]
      #5942346 - 06/26/13 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Taped and cuting out the lettering. Lettering will be polished as the ends.

I was lazy and just painted everything and then went over the letters with silver paint. It looked good, never considered polishing the letters. Will be interesting to see the result.

I actually polished the letters before taping. I will be spraying the final grey coats tomorrow and I will cut out the letters again to pull off the tape.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain new [Re: turk123]
      #5943485 - 06/27/13 05:27 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

I painted the main column with the grey paint today. I also painted the two large mount pieces. Here is a picture of e one I taped off. The green painters tape came off perfectly. The paint is not completely dry and the perfect time to strip the tape. It pulled off easily and with sharp lines. "Astrola!"

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain new [Re: turk123]
      #5943531 - 06/27/13 05:55 PM

Nice

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain new [Re: dgreyson]
      #5943583 - 06/27/13 06:24 PM

Perfect!

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: turk123]
      #5944249 - 06/28/13 06:06 AM

WOW!!!

Rich (RLTYS)

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5944333 - 06/28/13 07:35 AM

I like that. Makes me think about painting just the letters on my Deluxe polished mount.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5944334 - 06/28/13 07:48 AM

I have to paint the guide scope and finder tubes. The main tube on this Cass is an off white (and I'm sure somewhat aged) finish. I have not found anything in a rattle can to match.

Today I will be taking the tube to CarQuest auto parts. The local store has a full line of automobile paint and can mix custom colors. They also have a special camera that they can use to pull the color off the tube and give them a formula for the paint. I am going to give this a try. While there on a previous day for supplies, I watched as they were color matching with the camera on a motorcycle tank. The customer said it works perfectly. I just need a pint for the tubes so it looks like the best way to go for a good match.

I also found out from them while picking up an Imron satin black (almost flat) polyurethane paint for the spray gun, that some of these paints are a bit dangerous. They ask me if I had a respirator and when I said I did he told me to be sure to use it with this paint. Fair warning. I have been using the respirator all along, but will make sure it is a little tighter on my face on this paint.

Another tidbit I learned is that sanding crinkle paint is something you have to be careful about. The two cans I have both say to watch while doing this as the dust (and the paint) contain lead, one of the components that make it crinkle. I think we all need to be careful while restoring these gems as the older paints as well as the newer ones all may have issues to contend with. I'm not having anymore children, but I do want to have a "heathly" next 20 years ahead of me. Be careful out there.

PS: I did pick up a few head socks from the paint store. My wife didn't appreciate the grey on grey look of my hair when I came home last night.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
      #5944340 - 06/28/13 07:56 AM

Before you look for a paint match for the main tube, hit a spot on it with some automotive rubbing compound. This will remove any surface yellowing and allow you to see what the color was fresh from the factory.

Very good advice on the lead paint. I'm glad that you are practicing safe industrial hygiene and mentioning it in your posts. It's one area a lot of people tend to ignore, and they'll pay the price sooner or later.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #5944351 - 06/28/13 08:04 AM

Quote:

Before you look for a paint match for the main tube, hit a spot on it with some automotive rubbing compound. This will remove any surface yellowing and allow you to see what the color was fresh from the factory.

Chuck, I already used a light rubbing compound on the entire tube. It is as white as it will ever be without painting. I like the color.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5944355 - 06/28/13 08:06 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Can anyone identify what material this is? It is 1mm think. It came out of the Captain Nemo focuser and was used as a friction slide. It may have been a thin rubber years ago. It is stiff and not very flexible now. Seems a little porous unlike rubber.

Any guesses?

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #5944528 - 06/28/13 10:23 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

Quote:

Very good advice on the lead paint. I'm glad that you are practicing safe industrial hygiene and mentioning it in your posts. It's one area a lot of people tend to ignore, and they'll pay the price sooner or later.

THAT'S why I have to buy wrinkle black from an antique Ford restoration shop back east and say I'm restoring an early Ford V8 truck, to get it shipped to So Cal. It's well worth it, though. Beautiful stuff!

I live in a Victorian house on the national register. We have lead based paint everywhere in this place, though most of it is "encapsulated" with latex if it hasn't been removed all together. I learned early on that the best ways to strip these paints is with a heat gun on the low setting (so you don't burn the paint - or the house!) or chemical strippers. So long as you don't get the lead airborne and clean up after yourself, you shouldn't be breathing or ingesting lead. If you're going to sand the stuff, do it outdoors and/or with good ventilation and a mask.

Boy, it'd be great if someone found a way to wrinkle paint without using lead!

-Tim.
P.S. Here's the corpse to my Sky Micro Giant focuser for the 12.5" Transportable Observatory Cave after I painted it last weekend. I've been busier than a one-armed paper-hanger on Mars the past couple weeks, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on scopes, so I haven't yet taken the masking tape off (it was still pretty hot from baking in the oven when I took the shot)

Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
      #5944551 - 06/28/13 10:35 AM

Quote:

Can anyone identify what material this is? It is 1mm think. It came out of the Captain Nemo focuser and was used as a friction slide. It may have been a thin rubber years ago. It is stiff and not very flexible now. Seems a little porous unlike rubber.

Any guesses?

I work in the rubber industry - so I'll give it a shot.

First - is the color due to rust? Or is the material that color all the way through?

Assuming its just rust - If it is porus, it is likely cellular rubber (i.e. sponge rubber), which is the same as standard dense extruded EPDM rubber but with a blowing agent in it to make it porus. All EPDM rubbers continually cure over time due to heat effects, losing their pliability and eventually becoming brittle. i.e. the glass seals on old cars tend to crumble..

If you need some rubber pieces I may be able to help out depending on size... We are always throwing away tons (literally) of trial parts in the dumpster... and it would be easy to cut the sponge bulb off a seal and send it to you...

If the material is colored - then it is could be either a PVC composite of some sort, or a colored rubber.. Colored rubber is not done much in my industry anymore and was a fad before my time (in the 80's).. Nowadays, there are a lot of plastic (TPV - Vulcanized thermoplastics) used in sealing and those can be colored, but my company has the patented process for that, and its not old enough to have been used on your scope..

Let me know if I can help...

Edited by Escher (06/28/13 10:41 AM)

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: Escher]
      #5944579 - 06/28/13 10:54 AM

Escher

The material is colored but is hidden inside the focuser so it would make little difference. The thickness is 1mm. It does feel like a type of rubber as opposed to a cork material. The inner tube slides on this material. The residue you see on the pictured pieces is the glue thy used to glue the three pieces inside the focuser.

Let's see if others chime in about the material before I have you send it.

Thanks very much for the offer!

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5944583 - 06/28/13 10:56 AM

I just remember I've seen this material on an old clarinet to fit the two tubes together. Cork is also used.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5944822 - 06/28/13 01:42 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

At the paint store they used a special camera (to the right of this gentleman's right hand) to get the color formula off the main tube. Back at my office I painted part of a paper plate and dried it in the sun. In comparing it to the original main tube, it is a perfect match!

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5946891 - 06/29/13 04:58 PM

Quote:

Any guesses?

I just saw the exact same thing for sale at Home Depot in the plumbing section today when I was geting shower faucet parts. It's called gasket rubber and it looks identical to what you have. They were selling 2 sheets of it to a package.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5946900 - 06/29/13 05:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Any guesses?

I just saw the exact same thing for sale at Home Depot in the plumbing section today when I was geting shower faucet parts. It's called gasket rubber and it looks identical to what you have. They were selling 2 sheets of it to a package.

I will check it out. I hope it is that simple!

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5947264 - 06/29/13 10:19 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Quote:

Well Greg it looks exactly like the stuff in the focuser. It measures 1.19mm very close to the 1mm of the original. I cant say for sure, but I think the larger size will fit just fine as the focuser was loose with the old material, probably from shrinkage. Nice find Greg!

dgreyson
professor emeritus

#5947360 - 06/29/13 11:57 PM

Quote:

Well Greg it looks exactly like the stuff in the focuser. It measures 1.19mm very close to the 1mm of the original. I cant say for sure, but I think the larger size will fit just fine as the focuser was loose with the old material, probably from shrinkage. Nice find Greg!

Now if I can only find my missing sock full of Plumbago dust I can cast those rings. May have to order some.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5948083 - 06/30/13 01:46 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

After a few days of curing, the focuser parts are finished. Here are two (actually three) of the parts. Instead of going with a glossy rubber finish, I when with the satin black finish. It best describes the look of the parts before they where stripped of paint. They are gorgeous in person even with a few imperfections in the casting.

I do like the crinkle paint for some parts, but I am considering this paint instead. It just has a nice look to it. I have the two sets of rings, the motor box cover and the pier cap for wrinkle paint. What do you think I should do?

Wrinkle or satin? Vote now.

edit: I adjusted the color a little to make it truer.

Edited by turk123 (06/30/13 04:33 PM)

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17081

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics