Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: Preston Smith]
      #6148858 - 10/20/13 06:28 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

Lets hope in sunny so I wont have to squeeze into the booth

Quote:

There wouldn't be any room and I know some of our forum members have old ATM scopes a lot bigger than mine!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #6148871 - 10/20/13 06:34 PM

Quote:

It's a darn good thing that we are not adding classic ATM scopes to the display.

There wouldn't be any room and I know some of our forum members have old ATM scopes a lot bigger than mine!

That sounds like a different booth. We may be able to swing another seperate booth for that.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: The Ardent]
      #6149376 - 10/21/13 08:04 AM

Squeeze in! We'll just set it up horizontally and hang the other telescopes from it!

photiost
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/14/06

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6150095 - 10/21/13 03:42 PM

Quote:

I can print the banner for nada.

I have a 42" wide hp 800ps printer.

if you go to shutterstock.com you can pick any pics for the background I can down load it to work on.

I like classic scopes.

Cool video

Thanks for sharing!

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: turk123]
      #6157934 - 10/25/13 05:53 PM

I'm gonna try something here. For those of you who want to contribute to the slideshow, just drop your images at this link. It is a dropbox link and will allow large files to be transferred to me. use the largest image files you have for best quality. Let's put together a collection of telescopes and documents that will be displayed on my 27" Imac at the show!

Start dropping files in!

I hope this works.

UPDATE: It does not work! I need to see if I can make a public fodder.

Turk

Edited by turk123 (10/26/13 08:18 AM)

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #6160345 - 10/27/13 08:46 AM

Is a pristine example of a Jason 313 Discoverer w/all accessories welcome? It's missing the Curt Gowdy tag though.

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: t.r.]
      #6161373 - 10/27/13 07:47 PM

Hi Tim,

I currently have two other 60mm models lined up with a third in reserve so I think we are covered on that size scope. Thank you for the offer though.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: PiSigma]
      #6162296 - 10/28/13 11:27 AM

Cool...I'll stop by the booth and see whats on display!

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: PiSigma]
      #6162405 - 10/28/13 12:20 PM

Today when I was filling out the forms for the NEAF show, There is a section for a voluntary donation towards the raffle that is held during the show. I thought that maybe we could participate by coming up with a few "classic" beginner scopes (I'm sure we all have one laying around in a box doing nothing!) If we could get a few of you out there to offer them up, I would be happy to pay shipping to me before the show. We could also maybe take the nicest one and offer it up as a raffle in our own booth. It would be a free signup and require the winner to pick up (maybe we get cell phone numbers). We could even do a under 18 required for participation to get it in the hands of a young astronomer.

What are your thoughts?

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#6170099 - 11/01/13 11:59 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

Hmmmm . . all I hear are crickets! I guess I will start it out.

Here is an Orbit scope and box I will donate to the event:

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: t.r.]
      #6184381 - 11/09/13 10:26 AM

Quote:

Is a pristine example of a Jason 313 Discoverer w/all accessories welcome? It's missing the Curt Gowdy tag though.

Along with all the examples of the finest of their kind --the Caves, Unitrons, Questars, and the like-- there should be examples of good quality workhorses available to those with more modest budgets. The Jason 313 is perfect in that role. People need to see what the average person used back in the day, and what they, realistically, could afford now if they chose to pursue our branch of astronomy.

From my experience in marketing, I assess the first draft of our banner:

Quote:

Classic Telescopes
The "Cloudy Nights" forum
Collecting and Restoring the Classic Telescopes

The trouble is, newcomers viewing the sign will have no idea what constitutes a "classic telescope," or why they should care. Let it sound not like the objects we collect, but the people who collect them, a group folks could join. Tell where to reach us, and, briefly, what we do. This will need more thought and input from others, but for now:

Quote:

Classic Telescopes Forum
The International Community Celebrating Antique Optics
www.CloudyNights.com
Collect - Restore - Observe - Discuss - Enjoy

That last line would be in smaller type, without the dashes inserted here because our software does not allow long spaces between words.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #6230168 - 12/02/13 08:35 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Daniel Landis has created a banner fitting of this group and the show. I really like it!

fjs
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/25/13

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA
      #6230243 - 12/02/13 09:04 PM

Yes, that's really nice! I like it too!

Only, the Cat is too big, and the refractor should be in the foreground.

No, seriously, that gets my vote. It looks very good.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: fjs]
      #6230976 - 12/03/13 09:10 AM

Quote:

Yes, that's really nice! I like it too!

someone else can say it better than me...link

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Reged: 04/24/05

Loc: Eureka, Pa
Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6253220 - 12/14/13 07:05 PM

It's wonderful!

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #6253229 - 12/14/13 07:10 PM

The refractor should be at least a 4-5-incher rather than a soda straw in the background. Mike

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 new [Re: mikey cee]
      #6302829 - 01/09/14 07:18 PM

Just got an email from Ed Seiman, head of registration at NEAF. We have our two booths. We don't know where we will be yet, but Ed wanted us to be more "exposed" this time. We may be moving to the high rent district. He confirmed that our two booths are free, but we may have to pay $125 for the electrical setup (union electricians!).

Danial Landis (a member here and professional graphic artist) is doing a wonderful job on the banners we need. We will have a large banner on the back wall (4 x 14') full color vinyl, grommets and seams, and a smaller one for the front table. The wording is not complete yet and I've taken some of your suggestions and running them by a few. The banners can be used for future years to come.

Ed Seiman wants to run a few things by me about the show. They may want to use us in some of the promotion. That's a good thing. It's almost time for those who are going to go, to be reserving the hotel room. I as most of the venders at NEAF, will be staying at the Crown Plaza hotel. I believe the NEAF rate is $114 / night. I will be there thursday thru monday.

If you want to come and work the booth, you do not have to bring a telescope to qualify. You can work the whole show, one day, heck, one hour if you like. Just show up at your time if you sign up. As I said before, I don't expect anyone to come and work and have no time to see the show, or no time to go to a lecture. If we get enough people to come and cover the hours, it will be easier on every one.

Setup on friday night is a little different. We have 4 passes to the floor. I might be able to purchase 2 more, but the NEAF board does not want this abused. There are armed guards, and anyone without a pass will be removed. Jon and I will tap 4 people that will be helping with setup. We have not chosen anyone yet, but need people that are committed to work and to showing up. Friday can go late. The bar is open, AFTER the work is done. Same with teardown that happens late afternoon (4-5) on Sunday.

So think about if you want to participate at this years show. You can email or PM Jon or I if you are planning to come. We need to know what days, hours, and how willing you are to work. I will be providing 2 tee-shirts for workers on the floor that man the booth 2 days. I may sell additional Tee-shirts to those who want them just to help cover the cost. I am not soliciting you for orders now!!!

I would like to thank John Raymond for the donation of money toward the display. He paid for half. I hope you don't mind, John. That was very nice of you.

That's the update so far. Jon might chime in to see where we stand so far with telescopes. Please remember, if you commit to bringing a telescope, please do not let us down. We are reserving space for it. The space will still be there if your telescope does not show up. In fact, we will put your name on the empty space! These have to be solid commitments. I can't go back to Ohio to grab "filler" for the floor.

I am looking forward to some great times at the show! I am excited and can't wait to meet all of you. My hotel is booked (the crown fills up quick!) and I made sure I had a ground floor! I'm carrying some big armor for the show. Let's show the world what our hobby is all about. I know we will be turning heads. If you go, you will meet the cream of the crop of manufacturers, enthusiast, astronomers, usually an astronaut, journalists, bloggers. and the best amateur astronomers around. At the Crown Bar (the best place to met) I've talked with the vice president of Meade, owner of Atik, manufactures reps from everywhere, famous astrophotographers, and individuals from all over the world. Most of all though, we will also have time to talk over our hobby with good friends, good food and a little drink (if your at the hotel, a lot of drink!).

I want to see you there. Please plan on coming. We do need your help.

Best Wishes,

Turk

rcwolpert
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/13/12

Loc: San Jose, CA
      #6303178 - 01/09/14 10:33 PM

Turk, this really sounds great. Hope I can make it to NEAF this year!

- Bob

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 [Re: rcwolpert]
      #6326334 - 01/21/14 02:34 PM

I just finished renting a nice Caravan mini van with the six fold into the floor seats for my trip to NEAF. I made arrangements early as Enteprise gave me a deal when I rented the van for the trip to St. Louis to pick up the Unitron.

So I guess I'm ready!

akman1955
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014 [Re: turk123]
      #6326671 - 01/21/14 06:04 PM

You can bet your boots I'll be watching on there internet connection:):) john

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6507

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics