Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: C8 question new [Re: terraclarke]
      #6042597 - 08/23/13 10:14 PM

Gotta have one C8 in the stable. I'm partial to the sandcast after the fuzzy suede paint. Congrats Terra!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
5RNS

Reged: 08/19/13

Loc: Arizona
Re: C8 question new [Re: bremms]
      #6042716 - 08/23/13 11:46 PM

Update.....
I'm set to order the power cord I need. Then it's off to put some of the stuff I have learned recently to use. Big thanks to orion61 for tutoring me along via PM's.
I've actually owned this scope for nearly 15 yrs. Little did I know what a wonderful scope it is, I have a new found enthusiasm for it and can't wait to give you guys an update once I get going.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
Re: C8 question new [Re: 5RNS]
      #6042718 - 08/23/13 11:47 PM

Thanks Marc. I thought the same thing. It's supposed to arrive next Thursday. Pictures will be forthcoming.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6042806 - 08/24/13 01:07 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

Quote:

I've been scouring the forums looking for info to help me make a decision on whether or not to trade in my current scope. I have a C8 with the special coatings I believe. From another thread here it looks to date near 1980. Serial number 803100 .
It has the standard tripod and a wedge. I don't have any motor control equipment but the scope is fitted with motors. Obviously this puts me in manual mode for viewing.
So my delima is now that I'm interested in AP and having a scope that tracks so my kids can enjoy the sky without loosing an object every few seconds, is it time to let this one go?
My budget won't afford me any more aperture, but is a newer scope of the same size a better performer? Is this scope worth investing more money into with a new mount?
Looking forward to your opinions.

I would hold on to it as it does make an excellent AP scope, even without a lot of gizmos to bring it up to current standards. After all, people were taking great film photos with C8's 30 years ago way before digital cameras and autoguiders came into play.

The picture below of M13 was taken with a Canon T3i at prime focus with just a clock drive running for about 20 seconds through a Cave 8" Newtonian - no other guiding. This should give you an idea of what the C8 is capable of doing.

Resale values of 80's C8's are kinda low, so once again, I say hold on to it and see how far you can take it, then get something BIGGER!

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #6042971 - 08/24/13 04:51 AM

Hi Terra:
I always knew you would slip to the Dark side,
Glad to see you venture in the CAT Family.
I cant wait until we see your first impressions.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: C8 question new [Re: orion61]
      #6043169 - 08/24/13 08:46 AM

Thank you Larry. It will be my third reflector, first SCT. I love my little Russian Mak, and recently got my 6 inch Newt back that I made while in high school. This will be my largest scope. I always wanted something of 8 inch aperture and this will be reasonable for me in terms of weight and setup. I am going to de-fork it (saving the fork mount of course) and put it on my recently acquired Meade 826 eq. Mount which I will also use for my 6 inch reflector.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #6043517 - 08/24/13 12:28 PM

Quote:

Thank you Larry. It will be my third reflector, first SCT. I love my little Russian Mak, and recently got my 6 inch Newt back that I made while in high school. This will be my largest scope. I always wanted something of 8 inch aperture and this will be reasonable for me in terms of weight and setup. I am going to de-fork it (saving the fork mount of course) and put it on my recently acquired Meade 826 eq. Mount which I will also use for my 6 inch reflector.

I think you'll like it. Does it come with the tripod? If so, don't be so quick to de-fork it--try it as is for a bit. They track very well and with the fork there's no weird observing angles.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: C8 question new [Re: rdandrea]
      #6043532 - 08/24/13 12:35 PM

No, doesn't come with the tripod (that was broken). A wedge is available, and I was thinking of making an adaptor to use the fork mount with or without the wedge on a heavy duty steel surveyors tripod. From what I understand, its rather easy to de-fork and re-fork them. I was told that the mount/drive works quite well. Should I get the wedge?

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6043568 - 08/24/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Should I get the wedge?

I think so. Gives you more options.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Re: C8 question new [Re: rdandrea]
      #6043704 - 08/24/13 02:11 PM

Thanks. I'll look into that then. I was thinking the same thing.

Terra

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#6043720 - 08/24/13 02:22 PM

How badly broken is the tripod? Can it be welded? The C8 tripods are really quite light and make for easy setup.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #6043726 - 08/24/13 02:25 PM

Remember, too, that an old c8 with synchronous spur gear drive can't track in altaz mode, so you'll need the wedge (unless you can find one of Tuthill's "wedgepods").

The setting circles are big enough to put objects in a low power field pretty easily.

All around, the original c8 was a nice portable package. I. My view, the sct design doesn't scale up very well, such that 10" and larger scts aren't any easier to use in the field tha. Comparable newts - they're just more compact (and even then, not by a lot).

Tim

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #6043730 - 08/24/13 02:26 PM

Wedge for sure. You can even set it on a sturdy table do a rough alignment and plug in the drive. They are really god all around scopes. Biggest thing is, portable aperture. Mine has very good optics and even does well on planets. I hope yours is good. Most of the pre 82-3's scopes were at least good. Collimation collimation collimation.. Very important to get it spot on for good images. The fork mount is very nice.
I still prefer my 6" F10 Jaegers and big reflectors, but it's not bad.

orion61

#6044169 - 08/24/13 08:15 PM

I still believe the C8 (and Meade 8) if figured properly, are the best one size fits all scope ever made, You can disagree
but never change MY mind

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
      #6044326 - 08/24/13 10:16 PM

+1

Larry's advice is the best. I can vouch for that, because he is one of the folks who taught me a hunk of what I know.

One last comment on the Locked Field Tripod:

Quote:

learn to "crawl" before you try to "run"

In astronomy, one also learns to "carry." Whether you carry your scope from the shed into the backyard, or from the parking lot hundreds of feet into the field, you carry your gear. The Locked Field Tripod is designed for carrying. Comparing the tripod to a Meade 2080 of similar vintage, the Celestron Locked Field Tripod weighs almost nothing. The Meade, for a scope of similar weight, weighs a ton, and is no steadier and no better at dampening vibrations. Maybe it's not even as good. Carry your scope a few times, and you'll appreciate what you have, the ultimate lightweight, steady tripod. As part of a total package, it excels.

Come to think of it, is your tripod steady? Does it require some effort to pull it together under tension? I have seen one that was used for years without ever having been adjusted correctly. If yours is unsteady, if it flops around at the slightest touch, surely you would hate it, but we can help you fix that, too. When assembled and adjusted correctly (there are set screws for each leg in the hub), it is ultra-lightweight and shockingly strong and steady.

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
      #6044336 - 08/24/13 10:23 PM

Quote:

I know someone else who is getting herself a new/old vintage orange tube C8. Should be arriving in a week or so.

Terra, you rock! Welcome to the club. You've always stayed at 3" refractors, saying larger ones were awkward to lift. The base of a C8 is heavy, but bear hug it, and you'll be fine.

The C8 is perfect for you. You're it's ideal buyer, the person who wants a seven-foot long, 8" refractor, but knowing that's impossible to move, buys the ultimate mini super-scope instead. You'll love it!

5RNS

Re: C8 question new [Re: Datapanic]
      #6044429 - 08/24/13 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've been scouring the forums looking for info to help me make a decision on whether or not to trade in my current scope. I have a C8 with the special coatings I believe. From another thread here it looks to date near 1980. Serial number 803100 .
It has the standard tripod and a wedge. I don't have any motor control equipment but the scope is fitted with motors. Obviously this puts me in manual mode for viewing.
So my delima is now that I'm interested in AP and having a scope that tracks so my kids can enjoy the sky without loosing an object every few seconds, is it time to let this one go?
My budget won't afford me any more aperture, but is a newer scope of the same size a better performer? Is this scope worth investing more money into with a new mount?
Looking forward to your opinions.

I would hold on to it as it does make an excellent AP scope, even without a lot of gizmos to bring it up to current standards. After all, people were taking great film photos with C8's 30 years ago way before digital cameras and autoguiders came into play.

The picture below of M13 was taken with a Canon T3i at prime focus with just a clock drive running for about 20 seconds through a Cave 8" Newtonian - no other guiding. This should give you an idea of what the C8 is capable of doing.

Resale values of 80's C8's are kinda low, so once again, I say hold on to it and see how far you can take it, then get something BIGGER!

That's a great shot! Thanks for sharing.

5RNS

Re: C8 question new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #6044446 - 08/25/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

+1

Larry's advice is the best. I can vouch for that, because he is one of the folks who taught me a hunk of what I know.

One last comment on the Locked Field Tripod:

Quote:

learn to "crawl" before you try to "run"

In astronomy, one also learns to "carry." Whether you carry your scope from the shed into the backyard, or from the parking lot hundreds of feet into the field, you carry your gear. The Locked Field Tripod is designed for carrying. Comparing the tripod to a Meade 2080 of similar vintage, the Celestron Locked Field Tripod weighs almost nothing. The Meade, for a scope of similar weight, weighs a ton, and is no steadier and no better at dampening vibrations. Maybe it's not even as good. Carry your scope a few times, and you'll appreciate what you have, the ultimate lightweight, steady tripod. As part of a total package, it excels.

Come to think of it, is your tripod steady? Does it require some effort to pull it together under tension? I have seen one that was used for years without ever having been adjusted correctly. If yours is unsteady, if it flops around at the slightest touch, surely you would hate it, but we can help you fix that, too. When assembled and adjusted correctly (there are set screws for each leg in the hub), it is ultra-lightweight and shockingly strong and steady.

Packing gear isn't an issue,my other hobby is powerlifting ... I haven't noticed any problems with the tripod or it's adjustment. It's more like a lack of realizing it's capability.

orion61

#6044496 - 08/25/13 01:02 AM

Actually the Meade adjustable Field tripod is quite a bit
more sturdy. I have had one set up right next to my C8s
locked silver tripod and dampening time was about 30% less with it.
In my opinion the Meade is about the best one out there.
It is also a nearly direct copy of the Criterion Dynamax "Golden Tripods" from the 70's
But for the weight of it the Celestron tripods are VG.
especially if you are packing gear away from your car!
Also thank you very much for your kind words, remember I am only a phone call away for you. I left my number in one of our PM's.
Larry

5RNS

#6044558 - 08/25/13 01:45 AM

I saw your number there and I'm sure I may need it eventually.Thank you. I just ordered my cord about an hour ago. Now the waiting game begins.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1597

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics