Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/09

Loc: Clayton, NC
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #6312904 - 01/14/14 06:06 PM

Great find there "Flash". These are really great scopes with typicaly very good optics. This should prove to be a very rewarding project. The best collimation tool you have is absolutely free and that's your eyes and a star. Wife can't complain too much about that. Not sure of your level of proficiency collimating scopes but here are several good references to view.

http://www.andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html

http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/165

Here's a link to my RV-6 and it's resto.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4488240/page...

Hope you enjoy your new project. It should provide you with some fantastic views!! Can't wait to see more photos!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FlashGordan

Reged: 12/29/13

Loc: Southern New Jersey
      #6313734 - 01/15/14 06:16 AM

Quote:

Majestic Optical Coatings
152 Willow Way | Clark, NJ 07066
Ph: (888) 278-8308

Jeff Decker- Sales@majestic-coatings.com

I won't use anyone else. Very quick turn around and my coatings have been flawless. You may even be able to hand deliver it which would be a big savings over shipping it.

Clark, NJ is about two hours north of me. I might have to stop there on my next trip into NYC.

FlashGordan

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Compressorguy]
      #6313737 - 01/15/14 06:29 AM

Quote:

Great find there "Flash". These are really great scopes with typicaly very good optics. This should prove to be a very rewarding project. The best collimation tool you have is absolutely free and that's your eyes and a star. Wife can't complain too much about that. Not sure of your level of proficiency collimating scopes but here are several good references to view.

http://www.andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html

http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/165

Here's a link to my RV-6 and it's resto.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4488240/page...

Hope you enjoy your new project. It should provide you with some fantastic views!! Can't wait to see more photos!!

Thank you for the links. I don't know if I'll be able to do the collimation with my eyes on the RV-6 without a little help. It was a lot easier with 4504 because it is definitely a lot shorter. And I also got a chance to read through your RV-6 thread. Very nice scope!! Just seems that your scope didn't look nearly as bad as mine is now. I've done restorations and repairs on classic cars. This won't be much different in my opinion.

snork
sage

Reged: 01/27/12

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: FlashGordan]
      #6313810 - 01/15/14 07:52 AM

Yes your scope is a little rough but it definetly is not beyond repair. You will have a very nice vintage telescope when you are done. I was following this on eBay also
Here's an image of my Dynascope 10, which is my profile picture, before it was restored. It was pretty rough. Good luck and have fun!

FlashGordan

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: snork]
      #6314349 - 01/15/14 12:58 PM

Thanks Dan. Your Dynascope 10 looked like it needed some serious cleaning in the before picture. How much restoration did you actually have to go through to get it looking like it is now?

snork
sage

#6315256 - 01/15/14 07:50 PM

Rob, the tube had 2 layers of paint and was cracking badly, so I stripped the tube completely to the Bakelite and repainted. The previous owner also hacked a hole for a 2" focuser and moved the spider towards the primary...had to fill those holes. Stripped and repainted all the painted aluminum and steel parts. I was able to knock off the surface rust and loose paint on the pier and repainted it. Polished and buffed all the non painted aluminum parts. Luckily, even though the mirror was filthy, it was in remarkably good condition. It took a couple of months in my spare time.

It was a very rewarding experience and hope you experience the same bringing a neglected beauty back to life. Also, this forum is a great resource with a lot of knowledgeable people and most are more than willing to help.

apfever
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/13/08

Loc: Colorado
      #6318607 - 01/17/14 01:01 PM

DAN,

Did you remove the RA and DEC shafts from the housings? This has been my stopping point on mine. It seems that Criterion did not recess a spot on the shaft where the lock knobs contact it. This resulted in building up a ridge on the shaft that keeps it from coming out of the housing.
I can press the shafts out but any ridge will likely damage the housing seat and I'd have to have the housing line bored for a bushing, then have the bushing reamed to size for the shaft.

I'm all ears on this one.

Rand Barthel

Reged: 12/16/12

Loc: Central Massachusetts
      #6321075 - 01/18/14 06:43 PM

Quote:

152 Willow Way | Clark, NJ 07066
Ph: (888) 278-8308

Jeff Decker- Sales@majestic-coatings.com

I won't use anyone else. Very quick turn around and my coatings have been flawless. You may even be able to hand deliver it which would be a big savings over shipping it.

I second the motion. I had my RV6's mirrors resurfaced by Majestic and they did a nice job.

FlashGordan

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Rand Barthel]
      #6322663 - 01/19/14 05:13 PM

When the boxes show up tomorrow, I'll see how bad the mirror assemblies are. I might get lucky and not need them recoated. At least not in the near future.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: apfever]
      #6322705 - 01/19/14 05:34 PM

Quote:

DAN,

Did you remove the RA and DEC shafts from the housings? This has been my stopping point on mine. It seems that Criterion did not recess a spot on the shaft where the lock knobs contact it. This resulted in building up a ridge on the shaft that keeps it from coming out of the housing.
I can press the shafts out but any ridge will likely damage the housing seat and I'd have to have the housing line bored for a bushing, then have the bushing reamed to size for the shaft.

I could not separate the Dec Shaft from the Saddle nor the RA Shaft from the Dec Shaft Housing - they are in there tight, and even though there is a set screw on the Saddle to the Dec Shaft, removing it and applying Liquid Wrench didn't loosen it up at all. So, I decided not to try and force them apart or applying heat and ended up just taping and painting them as an assembly instead.

snork
sage

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: apfever]
      #6322916 - 01/19/14 07:56 PM

Quote:

DAN,

The only thing I was not able to disassemble was the dec shaft from the saddle. I don't know if you remember Neil, but I called you for advice on removing the ra shaft(almost 2 yrs ago) . You told me about the lock collar in the motor housing.

The threaded hole for the dec lock had a ball bearing inserted in it and the ra had a brass slugs to keep the threads of the lock knobs from gouging the shaft. The only problem I had were burrs caused by the counterweight screw threads on the dec shaft and I had to sand them down.

Dan, I had to paint the saddle the same way you did. Seems like the saddle was press fit on the shaft.

Edited by snork (01/19/14 07:59 PM)

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6322973 - 01/19/14 08:33 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

We've had warmer weather here during the day with temps in the mid to upper 70's so I was able to paint the tube! The tube was kind of beat up, so I used bondo and rouge patching putty to fill in the gouges. Then, sanded it and coated it with 2 coats of primer. I used 4 coats of Ace Appliance White Epoxy paint to finish it off.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Datapanic]
      #6322992 - 01/19/14 08:47 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Here's another part that isn't coming apart easily. When I first got the scope, it had a Meade finder and ring mount, but I was able to find an original "Criterion" finder and ring mount to replace it. This one is really scratched up, but no dents. The objective end is not coming off the tube easily, so I am going to try soaking it in warm water for a while to soften up whatever is keeping it from turning.

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6323064 - 01/19/14 09:38 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Dan, looking good! Here's a suggestion for that finderscope. The thumbscrews on there will scratch your finish when you repaint it fairly soon, no matter how hard you try. Get some Nylon ones, they work great and fit better than those metal ones. Here is the finder on my RV-6:

Edited by youngamateur42 (01/19/14 09:39 PM)

Datapanic
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6323283 - 01/19/14 11:29 PM

I usually use electrical tape but that will take the paint off if it's been on for a while, but plastic thumbscrews work great as well. I do need to do something about the thumbscrews because one of the original ones are missing.

Datapanic
Post Laureate

#6323291 - 01/19/14 11:30 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

After a little soaking in warm water and borrowing my wife's jar opener thing, I got it the objective cell off the tube. Next, I used my optical spanner wrench to remove the retaining ring. That wrench should be in every classic scope restorer's toolbox, btw!

FlashGordan

#6323693 - 01/20/14 09:15 AM

I'm sitting here at work waiting for the FedEx guy to show up and you guys start posting stuff like this. I'm almost to the point of going to hunt the driver down and get my boxes from him. ARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

youngamateur42
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6323786 - 01/20/14 10:18 AM

We can't wait!

Gil V
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6323802 - 01/20/14 10:26 AM

The RV shafts are press-fit into their respective cast aluminum parts (saddle and tee). If you manage to remove them, it's not likely you'll get them reattached properly without drilling through the castings (easy) or the shafts (much harder).

snork
sage

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Gil V]
      #6323931 - 01/20/14 11:33 AM

Thank you for verifying that Gil.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2495

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics