Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: dgreyson]
      #6330027 - 01/23/14 08:05 AM

^^ That's an excellent idea. It would make the ideal jig, as long as it was protected from heat damage.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
snork
sage

Reged: 01/27/12

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6330100 - 01/23/14 08:39 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the easiest way to line up the saddle wouldnt be to strap the empty tube back on to get things straight for a few spot welds and then take it back off and finish the welding?

That is a good idea...I was confused at first because you said "spot welds" then realized you must mean "tack welds".

FlashGordan

Reged: 12/29/13

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: snork]
      #6330422 - 01/23/14 11:45 AM

Last time I was in welding class, spot welds = tack welds.

snork
sage

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: FlashGordan]
      #6330549 - 01/23/14 12:22 PM

Spot welding or RSW is a form of welding that joins (2) pieces of metal together using the heat generated by the resistance of an electric current passing through them. Tack welds are produced by arc welding.

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: snork]
      #6331424 - 01/23/14 08:32 PM

Quote:

Spot welding or RSW is a form of welding that joins (2) pieces of metal together using the heat generated by the resistance of an electric current passing through them. Tack welds are produced by arc welding.

Youre right, a spot welder is usually for sheet metal. I meant Tack welds indeed. just enough to hold it in place till you get the tube back off.

snork
sage

#6331470 - 01/23/14 09:03 PM

I know what you were saying . I just thought for a minute, "what' does he want to spot".

greedyshark
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/31/05

Loc: 3rd Rock
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6332548 - 01/24/14 12:48 PM

I'll 2nd that... Restored a RV-8 years ago using a fiberglass patch kit from a local auto supply shop.

Charles

FlashGordan

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: greedyshark]
      #6333104 - 01/24/14 04:19 PM

Hopefully I can get some heat in my garage this weekend. I'll finally get to start some sanding on the individual pieces.

FlashGordan

#6334971 - 01/25/14 02:07 PM

Can someone tell me, what is the easiest way to get secondary mirror mount out without damaging it?

Gil V
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

#6335198 - 01/25/14 04:22 PM

You'll have to twist the secondary holder to remove it. Take the secondary mirror out first. once you loosen the set screw in the central hub, you can just unthread the secondary mirror in it's holder.

Loosen and remove the external nuts on the spider. Grab the center hub. and a mild twist should bring it right out.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Gil V]
      #6336612 - 01/26/14 12:42 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

The previous owner of my RV-6 (he bought it new) decided to fix the tube edge chips by wrapping several layers of masking tape around the ends and drizzling epoxy or super glue in all the chip voids at the edge, the tape acting as a form like when a concrete foundation is poured. A pretty good idea. He forgot to remove the tape before he painted it though.
I was using my RV-6 last night and what a fine scope.
I was concentrating on Jupiter and the GRS. I was increasing magnification waiting to see when more power was useless I ran out of eyepieces at 3.8mm, 335X! and still maintaining a super detailed view that kept me out all night at 32degF.

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: actionhac]
      #6336679 - 01/26/14 01:16 PM

I have similar experiences with my RV-6. On excellent nights I always am running out of power on Jupiter (357x). The image always holds steady and they sure are fine telescopes.

Bomber Bob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/09/13

Loc: The Deep South, USA
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6336792 - 01/26/14 02:21 PM

"I was increasing magnification waiting to see when more power was useless I ran out of eyepieces at 3.8mm, 335X!"

Wow! Excellent performer! What a great way to start! As I mentioned before, I couldn't tell the difference between a Cave 6" and an RV-6 in side-by-side viewing.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Bomber Bob]
      #6337334 - 01/26/14 06:32 PM

Astromart has in their files a interview with John Krewalk Jr. son of John Krewalk Sr. founder of Criterion Mfg.

Krewalk Jr. said Criterion always made mirrors that were better than a 1/10th wave, even though it promised mirrors accurate to better than 1/8 wave.
"We always believed in giving people more than they paid for," he said. "And we kept our standards up at a 1/10th wave. They would be coming off really perfect because of the technique that was used, the technique that was developed by my dad. All the way back to some of those great telescope makers at the Hayden Planetarium. They helped him develop some production techniques for making parabolas and spheres. We had really good machines, too. We had Elgin machines and a couple of really good German machines."

Robert

snork
sage

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: actionhac]
      #6337365 - 01/26/14 06:44 PM

The mirror in my Criterion is very good...but I did notice that they did not put a lot of time in the finish work on the aluminum cast parts. There was a fair amount of slag on the parts.

FlashGordan

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Bomber Bob]
      #6337831 - 01/26/14 11:16 PM

I swear I am chomping at the bit just waiting for it to get slightly warmer in my garage. I really want to do get started on this restoration. But it's still extremely cold that my kerosene heater just can't keep up. In the meantime, I'll keep asking questions as to which way to go.

I do have a couple questions. Does anyone know what the original paint was? Gloss white is close, but did Criterion have one specific paint supplier that had a certain paint code?

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
      #6337836 - 01/26/14 11:20 PM

I think it is a bone white color. When I did my RV-6, I painted the tube with Rustoleum Vintage White, it gave a more cream color, very similar to the color of the Cave Telescopes.

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Franklin, Indiana
      #6339366 - 01/27/14 06:26 PM

I used Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy Biscuit color. I really like it. The paint dries rock hard. I painted mine a rotating rig I made and didn't touch it for at least 2 weeks or more. If you belong to the Yahoo Dynascope Group, I have quite a few picture there of both my RV-6 and RV-8 restorations. Link to the RV-8 file that shows my paint set-up. Mr Magoo's RV-8 Dynascope album

Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Franklin, Indiana
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #6339571 - 01/27/14 08:25 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

One shot of my OTA in the paint booth on the rotating rig. Not sure if you can tell anything about the color. It almost matches the original aged color on my RV-6 tube. Rotating it while painting and drying makes the paint come out like glass.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #6340054 - 01/28/14 01:07 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

I took a bath with big red this evening. This is the scope in the Christmas tree stand I posted at Christmas. Its legs vanished when the previous owner moved which is why I was using a tree stand.
I'm cleaning it up to use but its too cold to wash outside, the tub seemed like a good idea.
The red is going to stay for a while I like it. I will strip the red from all the parts except the tube. The red is on everything. When I was in high school there was a shop that would paint your car any color and guaranteed not to fade for $99. They would mask the glass and the tires and shoot the whole car including you if you were standing too close!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2350

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics