Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)
HBNorm

Reged: 08/24/12

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: TCW]
      #6333935 - 01/25/14 12:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is this a stock finder? It's made in Japan...

Looks exactly like mine on my 1975 12.5 inch including the electrical tape!

Well at least I know the electrical tape is stock! I can at least put new electrical tape back on once it's cleaned up. The tape that's on there is a little sticky after 38 years...

Edited by HBNorm (01/25/14 12:24 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HBNorm

#6333938 - 01/25/14 12:22 AM

Quote:

I am getting ready to repaint the inside of my Cave 12.5 inch. I plan on using Stone texture paint and then going with a ultra flat black over that.

That's interesting. So the stone texture to provide the rough texture and the flat black to finish it off. Are you doing any prep other than cleaning prior to painting? Looks like there's a thick coat of something inside my OTA. It has small cracks all over the surface. Some of them, you can see in the picture I posted. Please let me know when you're done. I'd love to see photos of the end result!

TCW
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/05/13

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: HBNorm]
      #6333939 - 01/25/14 12:23 AM

I am going to install a Moonlight on mine and keep the old stuff to return it to original should I want to later. If you find an adapter maybe you can post a source. I was thinking to have one made.

HBNorm

#6333948 - 01/25/14 12:31 AM

Quote:

I am going to install a Moonlight on mine and keep the old stuff to return it to original should I want to later. If you find an adapter maybe you can post a source. I was thinking to have one made.

That'll be nice! All of my equipment is post 2000 so this is my first foray into vintage stuff. I really want to attach my DSLR or Monochrome CCD rig up to it to see what kind of images I can get. I just need to figure out how to get a Losmandy dovetail attached so I can put it on my CGE mount. I have a 50mm guidescope that should fit in the existing finder scope rings. It would be interesting to test it out as a 1,289mm f/5 astrograph!!!

HBNorm

#6333990 - 01/25/14 01:06 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Here's a classic piece of history that came with my scope! Obviously I did some Photoshop work to compress the size and increase the contrast. The follow up posts will have the other three pages.

HBNorm

#6333991 - 01/25/14 01:07 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Page 2

HBNorm

#6333992 - 01/25/14 01:07 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Page 3

HBNorm

#6333993 - 01/25/14 01:08 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Page 4 and the most faded of the bunch!

TCW
professor emeritus

#6334001 - 01/25/14 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is this a stock finder? It's made in Japan...

Looks exactly like mine on my 1975 12.5 inch including the electrical tape!

Well at least I know the electrical tape is stock! I can at least put new electrical tape back on once it's cleaned up. The tape that's on there is a little sticky after 38 years...

I used white electrical tape. Looks better to me.

davidmcgo
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/04

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #6334006 - 01/25/14 01:17 AM

For coating the mirror, I have used L&L Optical in Santa Ana (www.llopt.com) several times on a 15", a few 10" scopes, and a 4", all with extremely good results. Not the cheapest but I can drive my stuff and save on shipping and worry that goes with that!

Dave

TCW
professor emeritus

#6334012 - 01/25/14 01:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am getting ready to repaint the inside of my Cave 12.5 inch. I plan on using Stone texture paint and then going with a ultra flat black over that.

That's interesting. So the stone texture to provide the rough texture and the flat black to finish it off. Are you doing any prep other than cleaning prior to painting? Looks like there's a thick coat of something inside my OTA. It has small cracks all over the surface. Some of them, you can see in the picture I posted. Please let me know when you're done. I'd love to see photos of the end result!

The paint on mine has cracked and shrunk leaving white gaps. The paint idea is not mine - I found it on a C.N.Forum. Hope to report soon!

HBNorm

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: Datapanic]
      #6334013 - 01/25/14 01:25 AM

Quote:

Hi Norm, the OTA looks like it's in good shape, the mount just needs a little bit of work. I've restored 2 of the mounts like the one you have, one of them is documented here in the CN Archives: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3518871/page...

If the mirror has never been recoated, then it's a good time to get it done while you are restoring the mount. Most recoating places will put the mirror on the bench for testing either for free or for a small extra charge, which may be a good idea if you are concerned about the quality of the optics.

There are quite a few folks on CN Classics to help you through the restore and it doesn't take too much effort or time to tear apart the mount and redo it. It looks like a nice scope and congratulations on finding it!

Dan,

Thanks for your guidance and also thanks for the great thread you created when doing your restorations. That'll be my guide for the mount. have the counterweight shaft bathed in liquid wrench. Will see if it breaks through the rust between the shaft and counterweights tomorrow morning!

Norm

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: davidmcgo]
      #6334017 - 01/25/14 01:27 AM

Quote:

For coating the mirror, I have used L&L Optical in Santa Ana (www.llopt.com) several times on a 15", a few 10" scopes, and a 4", all with extremely good results. Not the cheapest but I can drive my stuff and save on shipping and worry that goes with that!

Dave

I'll second the vote for L&L. They did my 8" f/9 mirror and the coating is the best I have.

-Tim.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: tim53]
      #6334025 - 01/25/14 01:35 AM

Make sure, when you repaint the metal parts, that you use a good etching primer for the aluminum. None of these makers in the 60s and 70s seemed to believe in primer, and so the paint comes off in big flakes after 30 or 40 years!

Your mount looks to be painted a silver gray metallic color. You should be able to find rattle cans about the same color. Wrinkle black is still available, but not in So Cal (lots of lead!). I ordered mine through an antique Ford parts supplier back east and had to tell them that I was painting the dash on an early 30's pickup with it.

I put my 8" f/7 lightweight deluxe OTA on my Tak EM-500 mount or my NJP from time to time for accurate tracking. It was a pretty simple matter of making wooden radius blocks to allow me to bolt a Losmandy dovetail plate to the rotating rings, and used nuts with the same threads as the Cave knobs to hold it together. Since the Cave rings are farther apart than the length of a Cassidy saddle plate, I simply then mounted the assembly to the saddle and was good to go.

-Tim.

HBNorm

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: tim53]
      #6334047 - 01/25/14 01:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

I'll second the vote for L&L. They did my 8" f/9 mirror and the coating is the best I have.

-Tim.

Dave & Tim, thanks for your input. I'll give them a call on Monday. What does a recoat run roughly? Also, do they test the mirror when complete? Just need to prepare the wife for expenditures!

Tim, can you send me a close up of how you mounted the dovetail to your rings? Thanks in advance!

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: davidmcgo]
      #6334178 - 01/25/14 05:48 AM

I Second L&L have used him several times.
Tell Richard (aveman sent you... LOL
1200 E. Normandy Place, Santa Ana, California 92705 . Phone: 714-558-8151 WARNING DO NOT HAVE ENHANCED COATINGS INSTALLED! Hard to get off and the heating required is not good for the mirror. Better to get Semi or standard.
I would suggest star testing the mirror to see how it performs prior to coating. This Fast mirror may need re figuring as Cave, and no one else for that matter was known for the great Fast mirrors in the 1970s. I have seen a couple really good ones and a few really bad ones.
Here is a link to my good old Cave Restoration page you may find helpful. (avePage Please PM me your Email and I will get you on the Star party list! Also if you are around Santa Clarita you can bring the ota by and we can set her up and star test if you need a hand.
(aveman

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice [Re: HBNorm]
      #6334236 - 01/25/14 07:12 AM

Quote:

I'll post a few pictures more of the mount, OTA, and finder.

You certainly may have figured this out already, but I didn't until somebody showed me. There are set screws to hold the mount at the correct ascension that use an allen wrench. The big nut/bolt usually does not hold by itself.

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice [Re: sgorton99]
      #6334293 - 01/25/14 08:09 AM

There is an argument as to whether to tighten down the bolt first to ensure a tight friction fit before engaging the set screws.
Or
to tighten the set screws first before tightening the bolt down to use the bolts higher torque to force the set screws into the cradle piece slightly, locking it into place. Not sure which is best really, either way seems to hold just as well to me. And either way mars the upper piece anyway. Which way does everyone else do? maybe there is a consensus among the engineers about which is better. Or is this like the Toilet paper roll direction debate?

Geo31
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice [Re: dgreyson]
      #6334396 - 01/25/14 09:34 AM

Outstanding find!

With some patience you could end up with a beautiful restoration. But have patience. As with most restos, it's easier to screw it up than TP get it right.

For breaking the rust loose, if Liquid Wrench does not do it, get some PB Blaster (available at auto parts stores). If THAT doesn't work, get some Aero Kroil (or related). You'll have to order it, but my car buddies claim it is THE best for freeing rusted parts.

Yes, sometimes tightening a bolt oe screw will facilitate loosening it.

Can't wait to follow this. Dream find!

HBNorm

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice [Re: clintwhitman]
      #6334559 - 01/25/14 11:13 AM

Quote:

I Second L&L have used him several times.
Tell Richard (aveman sent you... LOL
1200 E. Normandy Place, Santa Ana, California 92705 . Phone: 714-558-8151 WARNING DO NOT HAVE ENHANCED COATINGS INSTALLED! Hard to get off and the heating required is not good for the mirror. Better to get Semi or standard.
I would suggest star testing the mirror to see how it performs prior to coating. This Fast mirror may need re figuring as Cave, and no one else for that matter was known for the great Fast mirrors in the 1970s. I have seen a couple really good ones and a few really bad ones.
Here is a link to my good old Cave Restoration page you may find helpful. (avePage Please PM me your Email and I will get you on the Star party list! Also if you are around Santa Clarita you can bring the ota by and we can set her up and star test if you need a hand.
(aveman

Now that the primary is clean, I may reassemble it and do a test. Although their are some fine scratches in the primary from the prior owner, I can at least get a feel for the image. Also, thanks for the guidance and hospitality!

I plan to start dismantling the mount after I test out the OTA this weekend. The mount itself operates smoothly. I also have a classic Sidereel drive corrector with the deal so I could also use that for even more accurate tracking!

Norm

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4586

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics