Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)
HBNorm

Reged: 08/24/12

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: HBNorm]
      #6334572 - 01/25/14 11:18 AM

Thanks guys on tips for dismantling the mount. I plan to get into that over the weekend. On a side note, does anyone know where I can get ahold of the 2" adapter for the focuser? The focuser itself operates smoothly and is nice and tight in tolerances. It would be great to have a 2" interface so I can attach some of my bigger EPs and imaging equipment.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
turk123
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: dgreyson]
      #6334643 - 01/25/14 11:50 AM

Quote:

There is an argument as to whether to tighten down the bolt first to ensure a tight friction fit before engaging the set screws.
Or
to tighten the set screws first before tightening the bolt down to use the bolts higher torque to force the set screws into the cracdle piece slightly, locking it into place. Not sure which is best really, either way seems to hold just as well to me. And either way mars the upper piece anyway. Which way does everyone else do? maybe there is a consensus among the engineers about which is better. Or is this like the Toilet paper roll direction debate?

We had this discussion when I was doing the restore on the 10" cass. It did not seem to tighten much with the large bolt and doing the reverse did not give enough surface area (because of the set screws small size). Being afraid of snapping the cast piece, I made circular shims out of very thin aluminum to go on the inside of each lobe. The large bolt then tightened sufficiently to grip, and the setscrew assure it will not move. One shim may be enough for this.

So I'm for tightening the large bolt first!

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #6334784 - 01/25/14 12:57 PM

I think I have one in "THE BOX" I would have to have the focuser to match the threads

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #6334805 - 01/25/14 01:08 PM

Quote:

I think I have one in "THE BOX" I would have to have the focuser to match the threads

This is what's great about this group! I've given stuff and traded stuff away that I have multiples of, and I've gotten parts in return that have helped me keep my classics whole.

-Tim.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#6334909 - 01/25/14 01:40 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

On a side note, has anyone slapped on a long Losmandy dovetail to the rotating rings and put their Cave on a modern mount? I wouldn't mind trying it on my CGE with some of my astrophotography gear once it's back together!!!

Here is the solution to mount it on a modern mount. I am using a losmandy mount and rail. The one in this picture is too short but just to give you an idea. The four bolts are used to mount the dovetail. Made from hardwood.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: turk123]
      #6334910 - 01/25/14 01:41 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Here is the reverse side:

TCW
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/05/13

#6334975 - 01/25/14 02:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There is an argument as to whether to tighten down the bolt first to ensure a tight friction fit before engaging the set screws.
Or
to tighten the set screws first before tightening the bolt down to use the bolts higher torque to force the set screws into the cracdle piece slightly, locking it into place. Not sure which is best really, either way seems to hold just as well to me. And either way mars the upper piece anyway. Which way does everyone else do? maybe there is a consensus among the engineers about which is better. Or is this like the Toilet paper roll direction debate?

We had this discussion when I was doing the restore on the 10" cass. It did not seem to tighten much with the large bolt and doing the reverse did not give enough surface area (because of the set screws small size). Being afraid of snapping the cast piece, I made circular shims out of very thin aluminum to go on the inside of each lobe. The large bolt then tightened sufficiently to grip, and the setscrew assure it will not move. One shim may be enough for this.

Any opinions on adding set screws directly opposite the stock ones (on the other side).

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: TCW]
      #6334992 - 01/25/14 02:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or

Any opinions on adding set screws directly opposite the stock ones (on the other side).

Hmmm . . . . Mine has set screws on both sides already.

sgorton99
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Wisconsin, Madison
      #6335015 - 01/25/14 02:37 PM

My '59 has 1 set screw on each side.

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: sgorton99]
      #6335028 - 01/25/14 02:45 PM

so does mine. both sides. easy enough to add if you need them. no probs if you dont.

gelkin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/10

Loc: Western, MD.
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: dgreyson]
      #6335267 - 01/25/14 04:59 PM

My 10" also has two set screws on each side. I like to snug up the set screws first then tighten down the large bolt. Haven't had any problems yet.

HBNorm

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: gelkin]
      #6335279 - 01/25/14 05:07 PM

Turk,

That Losmandy interface looks great. I'll model something up similar. Really appreciated the pictures!

Norm

HBNorm

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: clintwhitman]
      #6335291 - 01/25/14 05:14 PM

Quote:

Clint,

I just took my calipers to the focus tube thread. It's OD is 2 5/32" give or take a smidge. The ID on the 1.25" adapter I have is 2". If I take a 2" nose, it fits perfectly inside the focus tube. Thread is SAE 24. Let me know if the part you have is the 2" adapter I need and also what you want for it and I'll paypal you.

Thanks!

Norm

Edited by HBNorm (01/25/14 05:17 PM)

PiSigma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: North Carolina
      #6335388 - 01/25/14 06:01 PM

Hi Norm and Welcome to the Classics Forum.

I have added your mirror to the Cave Mirror Registry and will post an update in that thread when I get a few more new mirrors.

Lots of good advice already but I'll add my $0.02. You can check out some of my Cave restoration threads below. My 1974 8" f/8 Model B Deluxe has the same paint scheme as yours, which was used by Cave from 1972 until the end. For the Pewter color I spent a lot of time buying different colors and spraying them on parts that hadn't been stripped yet to find a match. The closest I found was a Dupli-Color paint, number BNS0597, at Advance Auto Parts that was very close. I used the Dupli-Color scratch filler primer. Cave may have not been consistent on this color over the years though. A lot of times it was probably whatever was available that was close.

On the pier cap set screws - my 10" f/6 Custom Super Deluxe only had one 1/4"-20 set screw on one side! This was already on the dangerous side and as I added a guide scope, tube weights and more counter weight it was quickly obvious I had to make some modifications. I don't like drilling on a classic scope but on this I enlarged the existing set screw to 3/8"-16 and added another on the opposite side. Problem solved. My 8" f/8 came from the factory with four set screws. On tightening the main bolt - these have a large tolerance between the tines and were not designed to clamp and hold the elevation, that's why the set screws are there. I tighten mine firmly but don't really hog down on it, then tighten the set screws. Just for reference, the Lightweight mounts with the 1" shafts do not have set screws (mine doesn't anyway) and the bolt and tines do just clamp the RA shaft housing.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice new [Re: PiSigma]
      #6335477 - 01/25/14 07:03 PM

You're right! My lightweight deluxe doesn't have setscrews either. Or does my optical craftsmen connoisseur 1 1/2" mount, though I wish it did.

Tim

TCW
professor emeritus

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice [Re: clintwhitman]
      #6335632 - 01/25/14 09:01 PM

Just a suggestion but if he sent you the 1 1/4" adapter that would tell you what threads, especially if you had a focuser to try it on.

HBNorm

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice [Re: TCW]
      #6335874 - 01/26/14 12:58 AM

Jon,

One set screw sounds scary for the weight of these things! Fortunately my base has 2 on each side.

Once I got a descent polar alignment, the clock drive was pretty darn accurate, holding objects in the finder for a few hours. Pretty impressed considering this thing is almost 40 years old and probably hadn't been used in half of that time.

I re-installed the primary and did a full collimation with the help of my son. The prior owner must have not had the proper tools as the secondary was about 1/2" too high in the spider. After getting both the primary and secondary aligned I only had to do a few small tweaks during a star test. I was blown away with the views. Using a Televue 9mm and 13mm, the views of Jupiter were fantastic. Clearly resolved bands and red spot. I may not have to get my mirrors resurfaced after all... Orion was nice and puffy with the triangulum nice and sharp. I'm sure this would perform nicely in a dark sight!

Thanks for all of your guidance guys!

Norm

Edited by HBNorm (01/26/14 12:59 AM)

TCW
professor emeritus

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice [Re: HBNorm]
      #6335885 - 01/26/14 01:10 AM

I love the optics on my Cave. There is nothing like M42 on a good night. Red, green and incredible detail - breath taking! The colors were what surprised me the most. In smaller scopes the green was apparent but the red was amazing as well as the vividness of the green. Congratulations on getting yours back in use so fast. Looking forward to getting mine back in service.

HBNorm

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice [Re: TCW]
      #6335906 - 01/26/14 01:29 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

Quote:

I love the optics on my Cave. There is nothing like M42 on a good night. Red, green and incredible detail - breath taking! The colors were what surprised me the most. In smaller scopes the green was apparent but the red was amazing as well as the vividness of the green. Congratulations on getting yours back in use so fast. Looking forward to getting mine back in service.

I'm at sea level so not much color visible from my vantage point. Looking forward to a dark site experience though. I still plan to restore the mount so I don't freak out the neighbors when I wheel this thing out of the garage... ;-)

Norm

Edited by HBNorm (01/26/14 01:40 AM)

TCW
professor emeritus

Re: Just Picked Up a Cave Astrola 10" - Need Advice [Re: HBNorm]
      #6335921 - 01/26/14 01:45 AM

Just suggestion but I upgraded the wheels on mine after breaking several on concrete joints. I installed heavy duty 250# polyurethane over metal total lock wheels by threading the existing holes and screwing them in. It is small thing with a big benefit.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4565

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics