guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: StargateDG]
      #4765518 - 08/24/11 01:22 AM

Quote:

Hi All,
I tried Backyard EOS...It worked great but it caused my guide camara to stop working. I was going to purchace it until I realized that It's what caused my Orion ShootingStar guide camera to stop working. Don't know why but when I deleted Backyard EOS, it started functioning normally again.

Thanks for trying BackyardEOS. I would be very interested in getting your log files from your trial run with BYE, I see no reason that your guide camera would stop working and I'm sure I would find the root cause.

Anyway, entirely up to you; send me a PM or email.

Thank you for your support and interest.

Guylain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
StargateDG

Reged: 06/07/11

Loc: Brunswick, OH
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: guyroch]
      #4769234 - 08/25/11 08:09 PM

Guylain,
I downloaded BackyardEOS again to give it another try. I received the key...I'll send you the log file after the next clear sky.

Dave

Edited by StargateDG (08/25/11 08:18 PM)

Yoddha
Vendor (APT)

Reged: 09/25/08

Loc: Sofia-Bulgaria
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: StargateDG]
      #4769992 - 08/26/11 08:31 AM

I'm happy to inform all readers of this thread that the newest version of APT is released. Its user interface is completely reworked and now there are no icon buttons

UniversalMaster
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: Yoddha]
      #4805549 - 09/13/11 01:09 PM

Hi!

Will APT or Backyard EOS do autofocus with an ascom compliant motorized focuser?

Best Regards,
Søren

Yoddha
Vendor (APT)

Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: UniversalMaster]
      #4805559 - 09/13/11 01:14 PM

Hi Søren,

APT doesn't support this feature yet.

UniversalMaster
professor emeritus

#4805579 - 09/13/11 01:25 PM

Thanks! I wasn't really sure if the "Automatic Lens focusing - use the Lens Panel" feature would do this or not. Any plans to add ascom focuser control?

Yoddha
Vendor (APT)

#4805590 - 09/13/11 01:31 PM

Automatic Lens focusing is designed to work only with lens. Currently I'm working on manual control for ASCOM focusers. Also there are plans for automatic focusing, but I still don't have the needed hardware to test it, so can't give exact estimate when this feature will be implemented.

UniversalMaster
professor emeritus

#4805745 - 09/13/11 03:04 PM

Quote:

Automatic Lens focusing is designed to work only with lens. Currently I'm working on manual control for ASCOM focusers. Also there are plans for automatic focusing, but I still don't have the needed hardware to test it, so can't give exact estimate when this feature will be implemented.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Shoestring FCUSB can control an Orion AccuFocus motor. I think that is about the cheapest ascom-motor-focus you can get, without DIYing

Yoddha
Vendor (APT)

#4805798 - 09/13/11 03:39 PM

Søren, many thanks for the help! I'll investigate if AccuFocus can be fitted to my WO ZS 110

fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
      #5354715 - 08/06/12 12:08 PM

Howdy All,

My first post here, name is Mitch, located on Cape Cod of the coast of South Eastern Massachusetts in USA...

Presently I'm fumbling around trying to decide what software to use for a computer controlled imaging system.

I'm presently testing both APT and BYEOS and have both demo versions up and running (individually of course)...

First comment I'd like to make is to thank Ivo for our recent communications, I have a vision problem that causes red on black computer screens to cause me a great deal of eye strain and are unusable, on loading the demo and seeing only red on black screens, I sent Ivo a message asking if a solution was available and I received a prompt reply with a solution, and I'm able to run APT now with the gray/white skin which works very well for me...

Ivo, Thank You for your prompt response and fix...

However, now that I can run either APT and BYEOS and make comparisons, I'm finding APT seems to have problem with saving images at the location/path that I set whereas BYEOS has no problem doing this... Its a minor problem I suspect and not going to interfere with my testing now that I've figured out where/how APT has created a variation of the path I set, but this is a subject for further investigation once I have concluded my testing...

Unfortunately where I live, weather is a major issue, I'm plagued with fog, clouds, and more rain than we've had mid summer in may years. Also having equipment issues with a failed mount control computer interface now waiting on parts to arrive which is another complicated matter by going through a distributor to the manufacturer who seems to be in no hurry responding...

I'm also in the process of deciding on which/how to do focus control and have yet to place a purchase order for the focus motor/control system as I want to be sure of software compatibility first before spending the money...

It looks at this point the focuser will be the JMI smart focus system and will be mounted on a ES127 ED/APO refractor scope... I would appreciate any advise and comments anyone has to offer on the subject of remote focus control...

Thanks to all for any comments and advice...

Clear Skies

Edited by fmhill (08/06/12 12:38 PM)

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: fmhill]
      #5354993 - 08/06/12 03:20 PM

I have both, and use BYEOS. It's interface is more intuitive (IMHO), and therefore easier to use.

Guylain (the BYE Dev), is an astronomer, and has much the same hours as us. I have posted a question in the Yahoo group, and had a response within a half hour. YMMV, of course.

I just dont care for limited demos, APT isnt a fully unlocked demo, all of its features arent available until you buy, BYE on the other hand is completely unrestricted.

Both are good, to me BYE is great!

Andy

Yoddha
Vendor (APT)

Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: budman1961]
      #5355890 - 08/07/12 02:50 AM

Thank you Mitch for your kind words! I don't have other reports for problems with file saving. If you need more info on this please send a mail and I'll answer on your questions.

Andy, thank you too for the positive mentioning of APT! BTW I'm into this hobby too Take a look on my gallery link in the signature...

One can tell that I'm defending my project too actively here. And maybe he will be right, but this is the destiny of a project coming from a small country, from the other side of the ocean, that doesn't have access to the marketing machine - astro shows, magazines and etc.

Don Trinko
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Ohio
      #5356048 - 08/07/12 08:17 AM

APT; I love free software. I appreciate fellow hobbyists sharing their efforts with us for free.
The only way you will get software that does everything you want in the way you want to do it is to do it yourself. This requires a large amount of talent and time. After you invest that talent and time it is admirable to offer a free version.
All IMO; Don t.

Yoddha
Vendor (APT)

Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: Don Trinko]
      #5356356 - 08/07/12 11:45 AM

Many thanks Don!

You are pointing the reason why the "demo" version is time unlimited BTW in the next edition there will be more functions moved from the full to the free version.

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
      #5357434 - 08/08/12 12:45 AM

Backyard EOS now has a greyscale screen to aid in daytime use, perhaps this will aid your vision issue!

fmhill
sage

#5357874 - 08/08/12 11:34 AM

Quote:

Thank you Mitch for your kind words! I don't have other reports for problems with file saving. If you need more info on this please send a mail and I'll answer on your questions.

Andy, thank you too for the positive mentioning of APT! BTW I'm into this hobby too Take a look on my gallery link in the signature...

One can tell that I'm defending my project too actively here. And maybe he will be right, but this is the destiny of a project coming from a small country, from the other side of the ocean, that doesn't have access to the marketing machine - astro shows, magazines and etc.

Ivo,
It looks like the problem I'm having when saving images is being caused by the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system and is not the APT software.

Windows 7 seems to have created its own shortcut path to the image storage area and when I enter the full path in APT, Windows seems to remove what it considers to be redundant routing and as a result does not route according to the path as entered and yet seems unable to apply its own shortcut routing so I end up with a second Image library in a location other than the one I have specified or am expecting... Confusing but now that I know where the new image directory is located, its usable but another disappointment in the Windows 7 operating system...

Yoddha
Vendor (APT)

Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: fmhill]
      #5359145 - 08/09/12 02:28 AM

Mitch, it sounds strange. I'm using 32bits Win7 and have no such problems, but my user has administrator rights. Maybe this is the solution. I'll check when am back from my vacation.

fmhill
sage

#5359396 - 08/09/12 08:34 AM

Ivo,

Enjoy your vacation, do not worry about Windows issues, enjoy your time away from it, my issue with Windows routing peculiarities is of little importance for the moment, it will wait...

gmartin02
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: Magellan]
      #5361506 - 08/10/12 11:04 AM

Quote:

I like the look of Backyard EOS, I may get it. But I don't see system requirements, I am looking to get a Netbook or single core notebook.

I'm currently using BackyardEOS on an 8 year old Dell notebook - 1.3 Ghz Pentium M processor, 512 MB RAM, 1024x768 screen resolution, Windows XP.

It works perfectly for deep sky imaging. It does seem a little "laggy" for planetary live view imaging, but it still works.

I just thought I would post this because you don't necessarily need to buy a new laptop to use it if you already have an old laptop laying around. The best thing is that you can try the 30 day trial before purchasing if you want to try it on an older laptop without being out any money if it doesn't work for you.

I'm eventually going to get a new laptop, but for now I am up and running on the 8 year old laptop.

Greg

DrGui

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: APT or Backyard EOS new [Re: gmartin02]
      #5402825 - 09/04/12 11:46 AM

Good day all.

Since I purchased both of these programs I felt compelled to add my two-cents worth. I do favor BYE over APT however. I find APT a takes me longer to setup (I need to think about my ap plan a bit more) while BYE gives me what I want more quickly and easily. (instant gratification eh) I have also had APT lock up on me which has NEVER happened with BYE.

I like APT a lot, it is feature packed and well written...but I prefer BYE because I find it easier to use and more reliable. And when your racing against the dew and the dawn you just don't want to waste time rebooting your laptop.

Just my two cents eh.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15872

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics