jimarshall
sage

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Virginia
Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: arpruss]
      #5115568 - 03/10/12 05:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I recently tried your LunarMapLite-103.apk and get an unexpected stop error on my cheap panimage android 1.6 tablet while your openstarmap 100-4 seems to work fine. This is puzzling since I thought that the openstarmap was for a much higher OS than android 1.6. This tablet is so cheap that I couldn't even download from the market that came with it!

LunarMap uses a lot of memory to smooth the scrolling. I wonder if that was the issue? You might want to try 1.11, which improves memory handling a little.

Are you going to make an .apk file available for the 1.11 version? My tablet is not a supported device on the google market.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
arpruss
Vendor: Omega Centauri Software

Reged: 05/23/08

Loc: Waco, TX
Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5115745 - 03/10/12 07:46 PM

When you go to the options, is "Satellite features" checked? And does it say under it "Only in HD version"?

arpruss

Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: jimarshall]
      #5115966 - 03/10/12 10:31 PM

Quote:

Are you going to make an .apk file available for the 1.11 version? My tablet is not a supported device on the google market.

You can get the lite version from http://pruss.mobi/dl/LunarMapLite.apk

You should eventually be able to buy the HD version from Amazon's Appstore, but first I want to see what Sarkikos' issue is caused by.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5116689 - 03/11/12 12:34 PM

well I just blew $1.98 to save time I just purchased it for my phone and then purchased it again from Amazon for my fire instead of side loading the darn thing...

WORTH every one of those 198 pennies to me..

I sure Hope you made a nickle off my purchase(s)...

Clear Skies and THANKS

Bob G

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5116739 - 03/11/12 01:10 PM

Quote:

When you go to the options, is "Satellite features" checked? And does it say under it "Only in HD version"?

"Satellite features" is not listed under options. So I do not have the latest version? How do I update apps with Google Play?

Moving from Android Market to Google Play is a bad thing for Android users and software writers.

CHANGE IS NOT ALWAYS PROGRESS!

Mike

arpruss

#5116753 - 03/11/12 01:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Satellite features" is not listed under options. So I do not have the latest version? How do I update apps with Google Play?

You run Android Market just as before on your device, go to My Apps, and there should be an update option.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5116777 - 03/11/12 01:28 PM

Alex,

I just now updated LunarMaps HD. On Google Play, I had to manually go through my list of installed apps, which is over 100. Luckily, it's in alphabetical order. But the info for LunarMaps HD only shows that I purchased it, not that an update is available. I had to take a chance and press on "Purchased" to update the app. Not intuitively obvious at all! This is not good for consumers, writers or vendors.

Nowhere on Google Play is there any information saying that any apps have an update available. When I would run Android Market, the first thing I saw were notices for updates.

But at least I see the satellite objects on LM HD now.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5116787 - 03/11/12 01:31 PM

Android Market has disappeared from my tablet. Google Play, Google +, Google Whatchmacallit, Google Gizmo, Google ... are there instead.

I think Google is the New Apple. I don't like it.

Mike

jimarshall
sage

#5117125 - 03/11/12 04:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You can get the lite version from http://pruss.mobi/dl/LunarMapLite.apk

You should eventually be able to buy the HD version from Amazon's Appstore, but first I want to see what Sarkikos' issue is caused by.

I downloaded the 1.11 .apk file. It installed OK but will not run, I still get the unexpected stop error. I guess my panimage tablet just doesn't have the technical specifications to run all android 1.6 apps. Thanks for the help.

arpruss

#5117216 - 03/11/12 05:34 PM

Quote:

I downloaded the 1.11 .apk file. It installed OK but will not run, I still get the unexpected stop error. I guess my panimage tablet just doesn't have the technical specifications to run all android 1.6 apps. Thanks for the help.

Can you install the Android Log Collector, run LunarMap, and then email me (arpruss@gmail.com) a log from the log collector right after LunarMap crashes?

jimarshall
sage

#5117579 - 03/11/12 10:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can you install the Android Log Collector, run LunarMap, and then email me (arpruss@gmail.com) a log from the log collector right after LunarMap crashes?

The log is on the way, I hope. It's the first time I have sent e-mail from the tablet.

arpruss

#5313188 - 07/11/12 06:55 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

I posted 1.13 on Google Play (and in a couple of days it should show up in the Amazon Appstore). The main new feature is the 1971 USGS Geologic Map of the Moon (with a scan of the geologic description, which can be accessed via MENU | Legend). Nearside only, I am afraid.

In the screenshot, the black labels are a part of the official map, and the yellow labels are added on by LunarMap.

Edited by arpruss (07/11/12 06:58 PM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5313531 - 07/11/12 10:56 PM

Very nice! I'm looking forward to that upgrade.

Mike

arpruss

#5602756 - 01/03/13 11:13 AM

I posted a new versions of LunarMap Lite and HD, available in both Google Play and Amazon Appstore.
- HD: nearside NASA Lunar Chart LMP (1976)
- HD: nearside Lunar Chart LPC-1 (1979)
- both (but especially HD): slightly faster startup
- both: fix bug where app went back to last searched-for feature instead of last on-screen location

The maps I added have their own pre-printed labels for the larger features, so LunarMap's labels will overlap them. Sorry about that.

dedo

Reged: 06/04/10

Loc: Italy, Rome
      #5612216 - 01/08/13 03:58 PM

You did a good job! I actually enjoy the HD version very much at my scope.
Why don't you add the possibility to import custom maps?

Photobud

Reged: 01/07/13

#5612332 - 01/08/13 05:09 PM

Got the updates today for Kindle Fire and am still happy that I bought the HD version months ago. (Before I joined this forum!) Great work.
Quote:

I posted a new versions of LunarMap Lite and HD, available in both Google Play and Amazon Appstore.
- HD: nearside NASA Lunar Chart LMP (1976)
- HD: nearside Lunar Chart LPC-1 (1979)
- both (but especially HD): slightly faster startup
- both: fix bug where app went back to last searched-for feature instead of last on-screen location

The maps I added have their own pre-printed labels for the larger features, so LunarMap's labels will overlap them. Sorry about that.

AdirondackAstro
sage

Reged: 06/06/11

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: Photobud]
      #5612651 - 01/08/13 08:28 PM

Just got the update for my Kindle Fire HD too. Thanks, love this app.

arpruss

Re: LunarMap for Android new [Re: dedo]
      #5612680 - 01/08/13 08:46 PM

Quote:

You did a good job! I actually enjoy the HD version very much at my scope.

Thanks!

Quote:

Why don't you add the possibility to import custom maps?

I could, but the format isn't very user-friendly, and it takes a lot of work to generate a map. If there is interest from multiple people, though, I can easily add the feature to the HD version.

Download a map from <a href="http://pruss.mobi/dl/lunarmap/">here</a> to your PC. Then change the .lunarmap extension to .zip, and you can unzip the file and see what's inside it.

What you'll find inside it is an index.txt file, as well as lots of jpg files. The jpeg files provide map tiles at five or six different resolutions. So to generate a map, you need a high resolution moon image at a resolution that can be nicely divided up into 640x640 tiles, say 10240x10240 or 5120x5120. Then you divide it up into tiles. Rescale to half size. Repeat until you resize to a single 640x640 tile. And then add a 320x320 tile.

The tile filenames start with "lib" if the image is "librated". This means that it was projected with a modified projection that adds 7 or so degrees of the other side of the moon, so you get coverage for libration. I can give you the formula I used for the projection.

If you want straight orthographic projection, then you just don't start the tile filenames with "lib".

There are some other pieces of information you can include in the index.txt file, such as indicating that it's a map of the farside.

If after looking at all this, you're still interested, let me know. I have all sorts of messy conversion code, too.

But if the source map is public domain (like the NASA / US government ones I use), you may just want to ask me to convert it for you and make it available in the next release.

arpruss

#5649241 - 01/28/13 08:53 PM

I've just uploaded version 1.20 to Google Play.

This has some significant optimizations which should make for a smoother (but still not perfect) experience.

Also, I've changed how the Lite version works. The Lite version now has available all the maps of the HD version. However, the Lite version watermarks the screen when you do more than 8X zoom. Previously, zooming past 8X resulted in simply blowing up the 8X image, i.e., pixelation. Now you have the full resolution map, with the annoying word "LITE" on top of it to encourage you to go for the HD version.

It might be a couple of hours before the new version shows up on Google Play.

If all works well, I'll upload to the Amazon Appstore in a day or so.

If you are a Lite user and you really like the previous Lite version (1.14), for at least a little while it's available here.

By the way, LunarMap works great with Bluestacks on a Windows 7 laptop.

Edited by arpruss (01/28/13 09:09 PM)

Carl Kolchak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/02/06

Loc: Northeast, Florida
      #5650486 - 01/29/13 02:54 PM

Hi arpruss,

I checked my Installed Apps on my Nexus 7 and the update was there. Updated without incident, fantastic app by the way.

peace & clear skies

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5315

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics