Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)
anat
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/03/04

Re: PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO new [Re: Mikele]
      #6281995 - 12/30/13 08:08 PM

Quote:

Hi Anat,
It looks like I need a proper serial adapter. I have one with the PL2303 chip onboard but it was the cheapest cable I found last week . But SkySafari can't connect to iAstroHub - is it ok with the wrong cable? Do I have to use the default port or switch to something different? Yes I know I'm a bit annoying
But apart from my problems I'm really exited. Your project will save a lot of frustration for many people like me under the clear sky;)

Probably we will be busy tomorrow so greetings from Poland and Happy New Year!

Regards,
Mikele

Hi Mikele,

Please use some commands to check if the module is loaded after plugging in the cable. And send me the output.

1. lsusb
2. dmesg | grep tty
3. lsmod
4. modprobe pl2303
5. lsusb
6. dmesg | grep tty
7. lsmod

If it works, it means that the module is not automatically loaded. For some cables, you have to plug in after the device boots.

You can force it by adding "pl2303" in /etc/modules

Happy New Year

Anat

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tango13

Reged: 03/16/11

Loc: Rome, Italy
Re: PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO new [Re: anat]
      #6282723 - 12/31/13 03:47 AM

Hi Anat,

regarding the usb-serial adapter, I have a generic Prolific pl2303 one that used to work on the Raspberry, it connected to the mount and was able to send commands.
Apparently this adapter stopped working on iAH.
After a few tests, I noticed that on my mk808 the adapter is seen as a gsm modem and the pl2303 module is not loaded automatically by the kernel.
However, if I manually load the kernel modules BEFORE plugging the adapter in then the adapter itself is correctly seen as a pl2303 converter and not gsm modem and it works perfectly.
Adding the pl2303 module in /etc/modules does not help, probably because the module is loaded too late when the adapter has been already recognized as a gsm modem.
One possible solution to have the adapter always plugged in and correctly recognized at boot time could be to compile the pl2303 (and all the related) code in the kernel and not as a module.
What do you think?

Ciao,
Piero

anat
professor emeritus

Re: PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO new [Re: tango13]
      #6282839 - 12/31/13 06:59 AM

Hi Piero,

We can blacklist a module to prevent it from loading by putting the module name in the blacklist. You can find what module is loaded by reviewing the dmesg log.

Anat

Edited by anat (12/31/13 07:01 AM)

tango13

#6282911 - 12/31/13 08:25 AM

Hi Anat,

the module which should be blacklisted is option.ko but I can't find it in the /lib/modules tree, is it compiled in the kernel?

Ciao,
Piero

anat
professor emeritus

#6282950 - 12/31/13 08:51 AM

I think so. Can it be blacklisted?
i have never tried compiling the kernel.

Edited by anat (12/31/13 08:53 AM)

tango13

#6283412 - 12/31/13 12:45 PM

I doubt it can be blacklisted because now it's part of the kernel internals.
However, since you compiled a couple modules you should be already set and ready for the jump to the great and mighty kernel compilation...
Otherwise, we might see if there is some kernel parameter that can disable this feature at boot time.

Ciao,
Piero

anat
professor emeritus

#6284931 - 01/01/14 06:53 AM

Quote:

I doubt it can be blacklisted because now it's part of the kernel internals.
However, since you compiled a couple modules you should be already set and ready for the jump to the great and mighty kernel compilation...
Otherwise, we might see if there is some kernel parameter that can disable this feature at boot time.

Ciao,
Piero

Hi Piero,

Yes. Thank you. After reviewing various websites, I realize that we cannot disable the built-in module. However, I found that way to compile the kernel for rk3066

https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/picuntu-linux/topics/prolific-usb-seria...

http://hwswbits.blogspot.com/2013/03/compiling-picuntu-kernel-ubuntu-linux.html

It may take some time for me to make the new kernel. But for now, the possible solutions are :
1) Use ATEN UC232A or
2) Put pl2303 in /etc/modules and hot-plug the cable after booting

Best regards,
Anat

Mikele

Reged: 12/10/13

Loc: Warsaw, Poland
      #6285787 - 01/01/14 03:22 PM

Quote:

Hi Mikele,

Please use some commands to check if the module is loaded after plugging in the cable. And send me the output.

1. lsusb
2. dmesg | grep tty
3. lsmod
4. modprobe pl2303
5. lsusb
6. dmesg | grep tty
7. lsmod

If it works, it means that the module is not automatically loaded. For some cables, you have to plug in after the device boots.

You can force it by adding "pl2303" in /etc/modules

Happy New Year

Anat

I'm still in a champagne mood and I didn't do the check yet but already ordered ATEN PL2303A. It should solve my problem .

Regards,
Mikele

anat
professor emeritus

#6287219 - 01/02/14 10:27 AM

Hi,

I have successfully compiled the 3.0.36+ kernel. It supports a cheap PL2303 usb-serial adapter. The adapter is correctly recognized as the pl2303 device at boot time. In addition, the GPUSB also works with Linguider now. If you want to test the new kernel, please follow this instruction:

1) Download the modules and wifi firmware from:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RSuv91xWggYzJ4d254V1o1OEU/edit?usp=sharing

2) Unzip the file and put the directories "lib" and "system" at the root level "/" of the micro SD card. Then shutdown your MK808.

3) Download the new 3.0.36+ kernel (recovery.img) from:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RSuv91xWggN29tSmVYLTVTZVE/edit?usp=sharing

4) Run RKandroidTools
4.1) Erase IDB
4.2) Leave all checks as default but replace the recovery image with the new "recovery.img"
4.3) Flash ROM

5) Then the device will boot to Linux with the new 3.0.36+ kernel. Run "depmod -a" to load new modules.

Best regards,
Anat

Edited by anat (01/02/14 10:40 AM)

tango13

#6289307 - 01/03/14 10:20 AM

Thanks Anat, works like a charm!

Ciao,
Piero

Mikele

#6289324 - 01/03/14 10:32 AM

Hi, Anat!
Thanks for this update. It seems to be work here. Now please just add focuser and dew controlers .
Awesome work!

Regards,
Mikele

anat
professor emeritus

#6295376 - 01/06/14 07:19 AM

Hello,

I compiled the 3.0.8-alok+ kernel. Use the same installation method as above.

- This is the kernel file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RSuv91xWggYlV6S1dBY1VkM28/edit?usp=sharing

- This is the file containing modules
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RSuv91xWggNE5UQ083QV9QVUU/edit?usp=sharing

Please note that both kernels set the max CPU speed at 1.6GHz. It will get warm quickly and the system can become unstable. It is recommended to change the speed to 1.2GHz (the same as the original kernel). I never have any problem for 1.2GHz. Please follow these steps:

1) Install cpufrequtils

sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils

2) Add this lines at the beginning of /etc/rc.local

cpufreq-set -g userspace
cpufreq-set -u 1200000
cpufreq-set -d 252000

From my quick test, I found that the 3.0.8 kernel was better in terms of speed and memory management.

This is the .config file in case you want to compile the 3.0.8-alok+ kernel by yourself.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RSuv91xWggVDhPU1NrWXJOQ28/edit?usp=sharing

Best regards,
Anat

Edited by anat (01/06/14 05:59 PM)

Mikele

Re: PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO [Re: anat]
      #6295649 - 01/06/14 10:35 AM

It looks like there is a problem with iAstroHub server.

EDIT: I've reverted recovery file but I can't start AstroHub again so perhaps my SD card or linux image is broken... Maybe the latest kernel does work. I'll try to reinstall everything.

EDIT2: After reinstalling the whole AstroHub I flashed the new recovery.img again and it started but after "depmod -a" command the hub is visible but I can't connect with it (it looks like a problem with obtaining an IP adress)

EDIT3: Ok, I'm after next round of reinstalling and I'm at the same point. Could someone confirm a similar problem with the latest version of iAstroHub?

Regards,
Mikele

Edited by Mikele (01/06/14 04:23 PM)

tango13

Re: PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO [Re: Mikele]
      #6296475 - 01/06/14 05:20 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Hi Anat,

thanks a lot for this update.
Actually, I find that the 3.0.36 kernel as it has been compiled should have something wrong, because I can't go below the 2.0 cpu load, even if the device is completely idle.
There seems to be something that eats cpu anyway.
As soon as I have the possibility I'll try with the 3.0.8 kernel.
In the meanwhile, given the bad weather down here, I played a bit with iAH and added a few more functions to the dslr section and developed from scratch some basic mount control (see attachment).
I've also started adding a sqlite database containing only the Messier objects for now, including some object information and their coordinates.
From the web interface it is possible to select one object and slew to it without using the hand controller
As soon as I receive the DC motor board for Arduino I'll also start working on the focuser control.

Ciao,
Piero

anat
professor emeritus

Re: PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO [Re: Mikele]
      #6296544 - 01/06/14 05:55 PM

Quote:

It looks like there is a problem with iAstroHub server.

EDIT: I've reverted recovery file but I can't start AstroHub again so perhaps my SD card or linux image is broken... Maybe the latest kernel does work. I'll try to reinstall everything.

EDIT2: After reinstalling the whole AstroHub I flashed the new recovery.img again and it started but after "depmod -a" command the hub is visible but I can't connect with it (it looks like a problem with obtaining an IP adress)

EDIT3: Ok, I'm after next round of reinstalling and I'm at the same point. Could someone confirm a similar problem with the latest version of iAstroHub?

Regards,
Mikele

Hi Mikele,

Your steps may not be correct. Please follow these steps:

1) Flash the micro SD card with the 8GB image you download (it is for the 3.0.8+ kernel ).
2) Flash your MK808 with the original kernel (3.0.8+) using the instruction in the iAstroHub SourceForge project.

At this stage, things should work like before. From now, we will make iAstroHub work with a new kernel.

3) Log-in your MK808 and FTP the module files to the micro SD card. It is the module for the latest 3.0.8-alok+ kernel. You should see this file structure:

root@rk3066dev:/lib/modules# ls
3.0.8+ 3.0.8-alok+

4) Flash the MK808 with the 3.0.8-alok+ kernel by flashing kernel308.img downloaded above in the "recovery" partition.

5) Run depmod -a

It should work now. Let me know the result. Note that you have to plug in the usb-ethernet adapter after booting.

Best regards,
Anat

Edited by anat (01/06/14 06:45 PM)

anat
professor emeritus

Re: PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO [Re: tango13]
      #6296572 - 01/06/14 06:07 PM

Hi Piero,

That is cool. The mount control contains all essential functions! Is it LX200-compatible or ZEQ25-specific?

The system is not stable at 1.6GHz. The device is optimal at 1.2 GHz. So, it is better to change the CPU speed to 1.2 GHz. The original kernel sets the CPU speed at 1.2GHz by default.

BTW, I just added the .config file for 3.0.8-alok+ kernel in the previous post if you want to look into the setting parameters.

Best regards,
Anat

anat
professor emeritus

#6296584 - 01/06/14 06:14 PM

Hi Piero,

The database is usually provided in the J2000 epoch. You will need to convert it to the JNow coordinate before sending it to the mount. Please look into "/home/pi/www/AM_convert.py" for the conversion commands.

Best regards,
Anat

tango13

#6297427 - 01/07/14 04:53 AM

Quote:

That is cool. The mount control contains all essential functions! Is it LX200-compatible or ZEQ25-specific?

Thanks Anat.
I haven't checked how much it is LX200-compatible, for now it's tailored on the ZEQ25 (which uses an LX200 looking protocol, btw) but it shouldn't be too difficult to implement something in a kind of plugin style to arrange for any mount "dialect".

Quote:

The system is not stable at 1.6GHz. The device is optimal at 1.2 GHz. So, it is better to change the CPU speed to 1.2 GHz. The original kernel sets the CPU speed at 1.2GHz by default.

Yes, I've noticed some instability, which also probably led to a file system corruption.
I'll lower the cpu frequency.

Quote:

BTW, I just added the .config file for 3.0.8-alok+ kernel in the previous post if you want to look into the setting parameters.

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

Ciao,
Piero

anat
professor emeritus

Re: PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO [Re: tango13]
      #6303375 - 01/10/14 01:43 AM

FYI, I am adding the support for QHY9 and Starlight Xpress filter wheel.

Anat

richardtheboffin
journeyman

Reged: 01/21/12

#6304432 - 01/10/14 03:01 PM

Hi Anat,

Great work!

I've ordered an Mk808 from geekbuying as shown in your link.

Currently I have a Meade DSI and a Starlight Xpress SXV-M7C, will either be any use as guide cameras? I didn't see either mentioned in the list of supported guide cameras so I expect the answer will be to go QH5Y hunting on ebay!

My main camera is a Nikon D3100, will I be able to get shutter control on this? So far I have read mainly about Canon cameras.

Thanks for your help!

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28063

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics