Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Reged: 10/11/04

Loc: Bay Area, California
Re: Snorkler's astronomy-optimized Nexus 7 (Android) new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #5503366 - 11/04/12 02:37 AM

Marcus, your printer manufacturer may have a printing app, if you have a wireless printer. If not, you can print to your printer via the cloud from your Nexus 7.

Zeldaboy, no. An unrooted Nexus 7 can only read from an attached usb flash drive. It cannot write to it, nor can it bind directories until it's rooted.

There's a new 2.53 Paranoid Android out as of 11/2/12. Unfortunately, it's just as buggy as 2.52,and crashes in the same manner. I'm unable to set the nav bar color. Needless to say, I'm back running on 2.50 again.

Edited by snorkler (11/04/12 03:34 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Re: Snorkler's astronomy-optimized Nexus 7 (Android) new [Re: snorkler]
      #5504243 - 11/04/12 05:09 PM

Yesterday, Paranoid Android v. 2.531 was released. It's getting good reviews, but still fails to allow me to make changes to the navigation bar colors on my Nexus 7. Ergo, I'm still running PA v. 2.50.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

#5506700 - 11/06/12 11:17 AM

Two more versions of Paranoid Android came out 11/3 and 11/4. 2.531 crashed upon leaving the Settings menu. 2.532 successfully changes the navigation bar colors and saves them, but doesn't load them on a reboot or cold boot.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

#5507448 - 11/06/12 07:34 PM

Sorry, I missed Ctwo's query on free astronomy apps, and I have no experience with any other Android astronomy apps. But I chose Sky Safari Pro based on recommendations from other threads in this forum. I think there's an Android v. Apple thread that discusses several Android astronomy apps, or there may be an Android apps thread.

Looking on Google Play, and listing the apps I remember other CN users using Google Sky Map, SkEye, Mobile Observatory ($3.99), and the basic Sky Safari ($2.99) and Sky Safari Plus ($14.99).

A search for astronomy app map brings up a few more possibilities, Droid Sky View, Deep Sky Calculator ($1.39), Star Odyssey, Sky Map Assistant ($1.29), Star Chart ($2.99), and AcruSky for Android.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5508022 - 11/07/12 08:20 AM

Darrell:

I am curious about the size of the Nexus 7. I have an 8 inch tablet that I use with Sky Safari but it's too big to shirt pocket handy so most of the time I end up using my cell phone with strong reading glasses to magnify the small screen.

A friend just got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with it's 5.5 inch screen, it looks like a reasonable choice, small enough to easily fit in a pocket, small enough to be a phone and yet the large screen makes it better suited for apps like Sky Safari...

Size wise, where does the Nexus 7 tablet fit, can you just keep with you in a pocket or something is it necessary to put it somewhere when you are not using it?

Thanks

Jon

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
Re: Snorkler's astronomy-optimized Nexus 7 (Android) new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5508070 - 11/07/12 09:13 AM

Jon, the Nexus 7 is a little too big to fit in a shirt pocket (it's about 4.7" wide) - what I do is hang it around my neck when not in use. I pieced together a very simple frame that the tablet can 'slide' into and attached a camera neck strap to it. Since most of my observing is done seated, it don't feel it gets in the way. If I won't be using it for an extended period, then I can keep it in my jacket pocket or on the bottom of my rocker box.

Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: Snorkler's astronomy-optimized Nexus 7 (Android) new [Re: tezster]
      #5508120 - 11/07/12 09:59 AM

One option may be to pick up a dark skies apparel observing vest. My nexus 7 is arriving today and I'm hopeful it will fit nicely into one of the pockets on my vest.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Re: Snorkler's astronomy-optimized Nexus 7 (Android) new [Re: Tim C]
      #5508952 - 11/07/12 07:57 PM

Jon,

As tezster says, the Nexus 7 is too large for a shirt pocket. It fits comfortably in larger jacket and pants pockets, and it always cools down enough at my observing sites to where I need a jacket during the evening, so the N7 is a good size for me.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5509665 - 11/08/12 10:23 AM

Quote:

Jon,

As tezster says, the Nexus 7 is too large for a shirt pocket. It fits comfortably in larger jacket and pants pockets, and it always cools down enough at my observing sites to where I need a jacket during the evening, so the N7 is a good size for me.

Darrell and Tezstar:

Thanks, it does sound interesting. I almost always wear a jacket or coat when I am serious enough to be using charts. I may just have to take a look at one of these 7 inch Droids.

Here's another question: How well does Screendim work? I know Darrell rooted his, I would not do that. On my Phone, Screendim turns off the button illumination, on my Vizio tablet, it does not...

Jon

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

#5509885 - 11/08/12 12:27 PM

Jon,

Screendim doesn't shut off the navigation button illumination on my Nexus 7. Apparently the Screendim developers know that function doesn't work on many Android devices, as they warn "This is noncompatible (sic) with all devices."

They suggest that that you may have to tap elsewhere on the screen to toggle button illumination off, but it didn't help.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5510368 - 11/08/12 06:20 PM

Quote:

Here's another question: How well does Screendim work?

I used it a few weeks ago, with Sky Safari on my android phone. It works so well that, after I forgot to return it to "normal" before bed, I had to put my phone and my head under a coat in order to see the controls enough to restore light in the morning.

It can really turn things waaaay down. (It also dimmed the Sky Safari controls.)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5511066 - 11/09/12 05:42 AM

Quote:

Jon,

Screendim doesn't shut off the navigation button illumination on my Nexus 7. Apparently the Screendim developers know that function doesn't work on many Android devices, as they warn "This is noncompatible (sic) with all devices."

They suggest that that you may have to tap elsewhere on the screen to toggle button illumination off, but it didn't help.

Darrell:

Thanks.

That is good to know. That was one reason/justification for upgrading my current tablet but it seems the Nexus 7 suffers the same malady...

Jon

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

#5511691 - 11/09/12 01:40 PM

You're welcome, Jon. It looks like rooting and flashing the Paranoid Android 2.50+ ROM is the best way to go to avoid the white navigation bar buttons, but only 5% of users root their devices. It's a daunting task, definitely not in the cards for most users.

I figured out in Paranoid Android 2.54 if I change the notification bar button color in the settings app, not in settings > system, the red buttons will toggle on after a reboot. Ergo, I'm now running Paranoid Android 2.54.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #5511954 - 11/09/12 04:34 PM

FYI:

Yesterday I figured out how to dim the white navigation buttons on Android 3.2 and above (Hurray!). They are shrunk down to barely detectable dim dots. This is the same thing the Kindle app does when its controls are hidden.

This should make the night vision mode on SkySafari much more usable (although I still think red film is the way to go in general).

The feature should appear in the next release of SkySafari.

Bill

bsim
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/04/08

Loc: Miskatonic
Re: Snorkler's astronomy-optimized Nexus 7 (Android) new [Re: btschumy]
      #5512102 - 11/09/12 06:20 PM

Bill,

Does SkySafari for Android support hardware acceleration on the Nexus 7? If not, when do you expect this feature?

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5512401 - 11/09/12 10:30 PM

Quote:

Yesterday I figured out how to dim the white navigation buttons on Android 3.2 and above (Hurray!). They are shrunk down to barely detectable dim dots. This is the same thing the Kindle app does when its controls are hidden.

Jon

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5512462 - 11/09/12 11:26 PM

Awesome! Please update this thread (or the vendor forum) when the next version is released.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Re: Snorkler's astronomy-optimized Nexus 7 (Android) new [Re: tezster]
      #5512483 - 11/09/12 11:38 PM

That's great news for the average user, Bill. Will it always toggle the nav bar buttons dim with night mode? If so, I can choose a brighter red hue for the button and glow colors in my setup

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Snorkler's astronomy-optimized Nexus 7 (Android) new [Re: bsim]
      #5512875 - 11/10/12 09:41 AM

Quote:

Bill,

Does SkySafari for Android support hardware acceleration on the Nexus 7? If not, when do you expect this feature?

Most of our drawing is done in OpenGL which should already mostly be handled on the GPU. Your query got me looking into what types of hardware acceleration is available. Sounds like it is hit and miss with it causing problems on some platforms. I may look more into it at some point but it is not clear it is worth the potential headaches. On modern devices we get a pretty high frame rate as it is.

yaroslav_s
journeyman

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Kyiv, Ukraine
      #5517259 - 11/13/12 04:00 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

My experience of handling with Nav bar on Nexus 7. I use combination of FullScreen Toggle V2 and Button Savior with autohide option. First install Button Savior and set is. And only after this FullScreen Toggle. As a result there is no annoying white glow from Nav bar buttons and a there is full screen.
For dimming the screen use Lux Dash - in my opinion it provides more possibilities than the other similar applications.

Edited by yaroslav_s (11/13/12 01:37 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5466

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics