Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow
      #5498977 - 11/01/12 07:30 AM

Well my Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow from China via Japan via Alaska .... to Columbus, Ohio. Now that is a trip!

Anyway, I ordered it for my daughter - however I plan to check out SkySafari first with my DiscMount and several push to dobs. I'm sure I'll end up getting one for myself eventually.

The size will be sweet and allow for easy holding, easy mounting, and best of all it should play well now (and into the future) with various upgrades of SkySafari.

Yes it's more expensive than the Nexus, however, I believe the quality is truly awesome, and all the current apps which run on the larger Ipads will work fine on the Mini.

Anyone else getting the Mini?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Chucky]
      #5499038 - 11/01/12 09:00 AM

I'd consider it. I need to get down to best buy or the apple store to check them out. Looking forward to seeing what you think about it.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5499067 - 11/01/12 09:25 AM

I have the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4s, I look at it as, I don't need a bigger iPhone (5) or smaller iPad (mini).

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #5499115 - 11/01/12 10:00 AM

Quote:

Yes it's more expensive than the Nexus, however, I believe the quality is truly awesome, and all the current apps which run on the larger Ipads will work fine on the Mini.

It's an ipad, just another size (which SPJ said was DOA and nobody would want - okay, it's .9" bigger ) - remember the current advertising tag for the mini is "Every inch an iPad". That said, I should get mine later this month.

If you're using SkyWire, figure in another $30 for the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter. It's definitely going to make for a bulky connection if you go for the stub adapter, and add alot more stress to the port especially if you're hand-holding the device and jostling it about the whole night. Either have the mini mounted, get the $40 20cm adapter, or go with SkyFi.

Quality wise I'd be the first steer clear of "awesome" tag - over the past decade+ I've sent back MacBook, iMac, keyboard, iphones, ipads, AirPorts that had problems in/out-warranty than many other devices. That said, their customer service is Awesome!

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5499181 - 11/01/12 10:42 AM

I'll probably take the plunge on this one. The regular iPad didn't fit for me because I already have the MacBook Air and the iPhone.

The Mini seems "just right". It will fit easily in the pockets of my observing jacket and weighs less than many eyepieces. I might even remove the stitching from one of the eyepiece pockets on my Dark Sky Apparel hooded vest to fit the Mini.

Even on the ladder it should be a great platform for SkySafari.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: core]
      #5499249 - 11/01/12 11:26 AM

Quote:

If you're using SkyWire, figure in another $30 for the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter. It's definitely going to make for a bulky connection if you go for the stub adapter, and add alot more stress to the port especially if you're hand-holding the device and jostling it about the whole night. Either have the mini mounted, get the $40 20cm adapter, or go with SkyFi.

FYI: we are working on a SkyWire that uses the Lightning connector on one end. No adapter will be needed with this.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5499258 - 11/01/12 11:31 AM

I'm considering it. Might wait until the mini II comes out. For some things the current iPad is just a wee bit too big. Like using as a GPS in the car. Was a bit much, but fun at first.

For Sky Safari, it's just a bit too big to hold up to the sky single handed. Darn thing slips then my finger hit something, typically the telescope connection feature so that menu comes up.

Traveling on the motorcycling; the mini would be a better fit for the tank bag too.

But the darn price point is high enough that I'm going to wait until the preceived need is higher.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: rboe]
      #5499465 - 11/01/12 02:58 PM

<< The Mini seems "just right". It will fit easily in the pockets of my observing jacket and weighs less than many eyepieces. I might even remove the stitching from one of the eyepiece pockets on my Dark Sky Apparel hooded vest to fit the Mini. >>

Jeff, I've thought this exact same thing actually. I'll be connecting via SkyFi like I currently can do with my Touch. I think the Mini will be right on the money for many users of Sky Safari.

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
      #5499521 - 11/01/12 03:26 PM

I've got an iPhone 4S and an iPad3. One is too small, the other too big, I think the iPad Goldilocks edition will be just right :-D

Still be able to put the iPad mini in a jacket pocket, I hate setting my iPad down.

deepskytraveler

Reged: 12/25/05

Loc: Worthington, OH
      #5499553 - 11/01/12 03:52 PM

Hey Chucky,

I'm seriously thinking about getting an iPad Mini, but first wanted to check it out at the Apple Store. Yes, I will have SkySafari Pro on it running with my Nexus wireless scope adapter. My crazy, off-the-cuff plan is to run MegaStar on the Mini using Splashtop, a remote desktop app. I have MegaStar (on a Windows 7 Pro laptop) running well on my iPhone with Splashtop. The major downside being there isn't enough real estate to effectively use it on the small iPhone display. So what do you think about this combo? Like you I think the Mini is going hit the sweet spot for size, weight, and usability at the scope, but I'm far from ready to give up using MegaStar with my 15". How long are you going to have your daughter's Mini in your possession? You want to do a coffee and show & tell Sunday morning?

Marky

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#5499560 - 11/01/12 03:59 PM

Quote:

I'm considering it. Might wait until the mini II comes out.

Of course there is always a better model just around the corner .... but probably not any cheaper when we are talking about Apple.

rboeAdministrator

#5499624 - 11/01/12 05:00 PM

Not likely to be cheaper; but I have no pressing need (shoot, took me until version 3 to pull the trigger on an iPad). iTouch, iPhone format is too small for me to mess with. iPad mini may still be too small, I'll have to check them out in person at some point.

kurat

Reged: 05/07/08

#5499932 - 11/01/12 09:06 PM

waiting eagerly for your review.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: kurat]
      #5500433 - 11/02/12 05:53 AM

<< Want to do a coffee and show & tell Sunday morning? >>

DeepSky Man - I'll give you a call soon. Please have the coffee ready!

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #5500641 - 11/02/12 10:05 AM

Quote:

Traveling on the motorcycling; the mini would be a better fit for the tank bag too.

But the darn price point is high enough that I'm going to wait until the preceived need is higher.

... you should give the Nexus7 a look; a refreshing change and both iOS and Android coexist nicely at our home.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: core]
      #5500721 - 11/02/12 11:13 AM

Quote:

Yes, and excitement runs high! It should be delivered around the late-middle of the month, but a couple of accessories I ordered might arrive today.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Spaced]
      #5501031 - 11/02/12 02:12 PM

Using my new white Mini right now. SkySafari works just fine as you would expect. Perfect size.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #5501402 - 11/02/12 07:11 PM

Quote:

Using my new white Mini right now. SkySafari works just fine as you would expect. Perfect size.

Glad to hear everything works on the mini. We don't have one yet for testing so we were going on faith.

Bill

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: btschumy]
      #5502013 - 11/03/12 07:24 AM

Hi Bill. Yep, SF seems to work just fine. Spent a few more hours with it last night with the Mini. Later today, I plan to connect to my scope via SkyFi. Don't expect any problems.

Keep up the great work. I'll stick with Apple as I believe you guys tend to work better with their software...compared to Android.

kurat

#5502804 - 11/03/12 06:50 PM

The ipad mini can replace an entire car in dash sound and mapping, for 329 bucks, its cost effective, Im assuming a-lot of people are going to do it, so be prepared to be, read-ended, side swiped and make sure the front airbags are ready for the head on, so you don't get killed while somebody is driving and using the word processor.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#5503167 - 11/03/12 11:09 PM

Quote:

The ipad mini can replace an entire car in dash sound and mapping, for 329 bucks, its cost effective, Im assuming a-lot of people are going to do it, so be prepared to be, read-ended, side swiped and make sure the front airbags are ready for the head on, so you don't get killed while somebody is driving and using the word processor.

Perhaps there is a fortune to be made for the person or company that develops a HUD solution for the iPad.

Chucky
sage

#5503471 - 11/04/12 06:54 AM

Spent an hour or so last night using SF with the Mini. Used Sky Commander and SkyFi. Everything worked like a charm. Compared to my 2nd Gen Touch, I couldn't believe how much smoother the pointer worked as I slewed the scope. Really couldn't detect much (if any!) lag or jerky motion like happened fairly often with my older Touch. Not sure why the improvement. Possibly more horsepower with the newer tablet. The Mini's screen size seemed just fine and fit nicely on my observing table (stalk).

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
      #5503823 - 11/04/12 12:02 PM

Quote:

Spent an hour or so last night using SF with the Mini. Used Sky Commander and SkyFi. Everything worked like a charm. Compared to my 2nd Gen Touch, I couldn't believe how much smoother the pointer worked as I slewed the scope. Really couldn't detect much (if any!) lag or jerky motion like happened fairly often with my older Touch. Not sure why the improvement. Possibly more horsepower with the newer tablet. The Mini's screen size seemed just fine and fit nicely on my observing table (stalk).

Chucky
Does the Ipad Mini have GPS capabilty? I think the wifi only version does not include it?
Thanks.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: ewave]
      #5504015 - 11/04/12 02:29 PM

WiFI Mini has no GPS

kurat

#5504445 - 11/04/12 07:36 PM

The cellular and gps version is scheduled to be released later this month according to apples site, I currently own a iPhone 5 and iPad 3, I don't see myself shelling out anymore money for a while, I have the iPhone mounted on one of my refractors and using skysafari as my manual goto aid, and it works very well, I can see myself purchasing a mini down the road and doing the same thing, to me, the mini is just the right size.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Reged: 10/11/04

Loc: Bay Area, California
      #5504750 - 11/04/12 11:02 PM

No GPS, 163 ppi screen resolution (v. 213 ppi), a 1GHz dual core processor (v. 1.3GHz quad core), half the RAM, and a 60% price premium over the Nexus 7. No thanks.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: snorkler]
      #5505002 - 11/05/12 07:11 AM

<< No GPS, 163 ppi screen resolution (v. 213 ppi), a 1GHz dual core processor (v. 1.3GHz quad core), half the RAM, and a 60% price premium over the Nexus 7. No thanks. >>

Pros and Cons of both to say the least. I bought a Mini thinking SF would run more consistently with future upgrades, and Apple has so many more top quality apps designed to run on their tablets...including the Mini. I could care less about GPS and the screen looks just fine for the apps I plan to run.....primarily SF connected to several telescopes.

As for the premium one would pay.....again to me it's worth it to reduce problems down the road with SF upgrades (they always seem to battle with Android), and have tons more tablet designed apps available at my fingertips (275,000 specifically designed for the iPad -- and the largest collection of music available in one place, 1.5 million iBooks).

But the good news is that we customers have choices...many....and that's not all bad!

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: snorkler]
      #5505225 - 11/05/12 10:47 AM

Quote:

No GPS, 163 ppi screen resolution (v. 213 ppi), a 1GHz dual core processor (v. 1.3GHz quad core), half the RAM, and a 60% price premium over the Nexus 7. No thanks.

A small dollar amount for something that works correctly all time, more software, ah-hoc networking with SkySafari, with solid and exquisite build quality?

I'll be buying the iPad.

tjspelich

Reged: 09/12/09

Loc: Bella Vista, AR
      #5505572 - 11/05/12 03:08 PM

I have the same problem with my 2nd Gen Touch. What I have found is that is becomes fairly slow in the screen touch response I power cycle the iPod completely and the problem goes away for awhile. I just figure it is the older iOS (4.2.1) I have to use.
Tim

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: tjspelich]
      #5505671 - 11/05/12 04:36 PM

<< I have the same problem with my 2nd Gen Touch. >> Just doesn't seem to have the horsepower to avoid lags when moving the telescope.

Chucky
sage

#5505681 - 11/05/12 04:43 PM

Compared side by side yesterday an Ipad 3 next to the Mini (SkySafari). Yes charts present a bit smaller images, text, lines, etc. for the same chart coverage, however, it's not all that much smaller. Mini's views will be totally ok for use outside with a scope. And the Mini fits nicely into the Dark Skies Apparel observing vest pockets which is kind of neat. In fact, it fits almost like the vest was made for it.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Reged: 10/11/04

Loc: Bay Area, California
      #5505908 - 11/05/12 08:02 PM

If only the Apple experience was as perfect as it's perceived to be. Those of us familiar with computers and programming know the experience is often a bumpy road.

From tech radar.com, "And Wi-Fi connectivity isn't the only problem you can get with an iPad. There are issues with backing up and syncing, oddball ghost apps, seemingly random jerky performance, and more."

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#5506105 - 11/05/12 10:36 PM

Quote:

And the Mini fits nicely into the Dark Skies Apparel observing vest pockets which is kind of neat. In fact, it fits almost like the vest was made for it.

I went to re-check my DSA vest. Don't know how I missed it the first time (probably measured the upper pocket) but the lower left pocket is perfect! I won't need to remove any stitching.

Chucky
sage

#5506384 - 11/06/12 07:04 AM

<< experience was as perfect as >>

Nothing in life is perfect.

deepskytraveler

Reged: 12/25/05

Loc: Worthington, OH
      #5507417 - 11/06/12 07:11 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

Here's a photo of Chucky's iPad Mini resting securely in one of the lower pockets of my Dark Skies Apparel hooded observing vest. Incredibly it is a perfect fit.

-Mark

Edited by deepskytraveler (11/06/12 07:19 PM)

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: deepskytraveler]
      #5508064 - 11/07/12 09:06 AM

Mark, just double-checked to make sure I didn't leave my Mini at your house last Saturday. I know you want one!

kurat

#5508969 - 11/07/12 08:16 PM

Quote:

<<
As for the premium one would pay.....again to me it's worth it to reduce problems down the road with SF upgrades (they always seem to battle with Android), and have tons more tablet designed apps available at my fingertips (275,000 specifically designed for the iPad -- and the largest collection of music available in one place, 1.5 million iBooks).

But the good news is that we customers have choices...many....and that's not all bad!

Don't feel bad for spending a little more money, I paid a premium for the iPhone 5, $799 + 13% tax =$902.87, for the luxury of having no contract, a 10% total rate plan savings (I don't think the carriers in the U.S offer this) and the fact when I do some traveling, I can purchase prepaid sims for the country Im in since the phone is unlocked.

Sure I could have paid $299 and be locked into a 3 year contract (yes 3 years in Canada), and have to submit to every thing the carriers contract tells me to do, as a matter of fact, since I own the phone outright, I can change to different rate plans when ever I want, you may be thinking can I make things more efficient, because if I went for the contract, how long would it take to pay off the $400, or how much does the damn phone really cost?, also it makes you wonder, is the carrier really subsidizing the phone, or are you paying off a loan where you have no idea what the interest rate is, or how much of the phone is actually getting paid off each month, and this is why I like to own my stuff outright.

Its not that bad when you have to pay extra for something you like or for contractual freedom.

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5513174 - 11/10/12 01:06 PM

I use SkySafari Pro and SkyFi hooked up to my Meade controller and use the iPad mini to surf the night sky. It works like magic. Use the LXD75 protocol and Equatorial settings on Sky Safari Pro for the LX 80. I love the size of the mini and it fits in my pocket. Loving this combo. Also got it working on my 18" Obsession.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#5536812 - 11/24/12 08:46 AM

Quote:

I took the plunge yesterday for wifi/cellular model 32GB. I'll be using it with SkyFi to drive my ServoCAT Dob.

With Apple's Black Friday price on the regular base model it was a harder decision, but size and weight won out. The Mini will be much more manageable at the top of a Dob ladder. Half the weight and fits easily into either my parka or Dark Sky Apparel observing vest pockets.

It was not easy to pull the trigger, thinking a Retina Mini model is likely coming soon. But it's so good for the economy when you buy everything twice, and this economy needs all the help it can get.

Chucky
sage

#5537459 - 11/24/12 04:10 PM

<< It was not easy to pull the trigger, thinking a Retina Mini model is likely coming soon. >>

Jeff, I highly doubt it'll make that much difference just using the Mini at night with a scope. The current screen is very adequate for such use.

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
      #5544401 - 11/28/12 07:00 PM

Quote:

<< It was not easy to pull the trigger, thinking a Retina Mini model is likely coming soon. >>

Jeff, I highly doubt it'll make that much difference just using the Mini at night with a scope. The current screen is very adequate for such use.

Actually, I stalled buying the currently offered mini knowing full well that retina display mini will be released at some point next year, but generally agree the current display would be adequete.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: ewave]
      #5544424 - 11/28/12 07:27 PM

Now that I have my delivery notification for next week, I'm not even thinking about the Retina display.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5544439 - 11/28/12 07:41 PM

i see no difference between retina and regular. i was told you only really notice it if watching a movie

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5545044 - 11/29/12 07:35 AM

<< Actually, I stalled buying the currently offered mini knowing full well that retina display mini will be released at some point next year, but generally agree the current display would be adequete. >>

There will always be a 'newer and better model' 'coming soon'. With life being short, get what you need and will use now.....now, not later. Especially when that newer and better model will not really impact your use of the thing. With respects to the Mini - if you will be using it primarily with the scope in the field, again the current screen is well more than adequate. It's really, really nice.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#5546896 - 11/30/12 10:05 AM

When I placed my order the promised delivery date was December 14th.

A few days ago I got a shipment notification that it would arrive Tuesday the 4th.

Fed-Ex showed up with my iPad Mini yesterday!

Naturally, one of the first things I did was get SkySafari Plus installed - it looks great! And sooo much easier to see and navigate than the iPhone. I picked up a couple of sheets of Red Eyes cling film, need to get this tested soon.

One thing that immediately jumps out - it feels weightless, but not flimsy or cheap. The Mini will absolutely disappear in a large jacket pocket.

As much as love my Uranometria charts, I think I'm ready to make the transition to all-electronic.

rboeAdministrator

#5546898 - 11/30/12 10:09 AM

I may have to get one. My wife is on vacation with our iPad and I miss it.

Chucky
sage

#5547290 - 11/30/12 02:01 PM

<< Fed-Ex showed up with my iPad Mini yesterday! >>

Great Jeff. Anxious to hear how the Red Eyes work for you. Passed by your way last week....driving up to visit Lowell. Nice part of the country for sure.

ischua
Under the Radar

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
      #5619552 - 01/12/13 05:59 PM

How has the Mini held up to actual use? I'm still on the fence as weather to get the Mini or the IPad2.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: ischua]
      #5622848 - 01/14/13 03:07 PM

Record cold weather in Arizona has precluded most field use for me. But day to day use it's fabulous. I love mine.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5623013 - 01/14/13 04:28 PM

I've had mine (Mini) since mid-November. As far as I can tell, it's suffered no ill effects from a fair amount of traveling with me in luggage and being lugged around birding or out under the stars.

FWIW, my one regret is not buying one with more than the minimum memory offered. Whenever I add an app or something I have to delete music to make space.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
      #5625508 - 01/16/13 12:19 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Quote:

How has the Mini held up to actual use? I'm still on the fence as weather to get the Mini or the IPad2.

I have been using the iPad Mini a lot indoors the past 5-6 weeks and in the field for my last two sessions (1/9 and 1/14). I loved how lightweight and thin the Mini is, but for use in the field I purchased the Otterbox Defender case and let me say, the iPad Mini + Otterbox Defender case + SkySafari Pro combination is an absolute champ!! The Defender case lends the iPad ruggedness and protection that gives you peace of mind--it is reminiscent of those Panasonic Toughbooks! Using SSP in night mode (as you normally would while observing at night), the battery is conserved even more. A 2 hr session took the battery down only about 20% or so, being on 100% of the time.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Starman81]
      #5625512 - 01/16/13 12:22 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

The back of the case:

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

#5625657 - 01/16/13 05:29 AM

Does the mini still fit in the pocket of the Dark Sky Apparrel observing vest with this case?

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

#5625881 - 01/16/13 09:50 AM

I hate to say it, but I have had mine fall from a height of about 30" several times now. Kind of a long story - I'm a pilot and it relates to early attempts to clip it to the chart holder on the flight deck. Problem resolved now.

In any event, the only damage is a few scratches on the back of the case. It doesn't concern me much because it's not the type of item I would ever consider reselling. But it is nice to know the unit is fairly robust.

Like my iPhone, I expect it to take some wear over the years and depreciate until it gets replaced with a more capable model. My choice is to keep the slim lines for pocketability.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5626075 - 01/16/13 12:01 PM

iPad Mini Defender Case: Thanks, I hadn't heard about those. The installation video on the Otterbox website convinced me, & I just ordered one. I've been using iPad + Sky Safari with binocs & recliner a lot lately, and I worry about the iPad slipping off my lap onto the concrete. This looks perfect.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

#5626437 - 01/16/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

I hate to say it, but I have had mine fall from a height of about 30" several times now. Kind of a long story - I'm a pilot and it relates to early attempts to clip it to the chart holder on the flight deck. Problem resolved now.

In any event, the only damage is a few scratches on the back of the case. It doesn't concern me much because it's not the type of item I would ever consider reselling. But it is nice to know the unit is fairly robust.

Like my iPhone, I expect it to take some wear over the years and depreciate until it gets replaced with a more capable model. My choice is to keep the slim lines for pocketability.

The slim lines and the svelte figure of the iPad Mini are definitely intoxicating! A nice half-measure would be to get a different kind of rugged case just for the metal back of the device and then perhaps a static cling type of screen protector that is commonly sold for smartphones. Make no mistake, the Otterbox Defender does change the entire look and feel of iPad Mini with the increased heft and thickness, but it has worked well for me both outdoors and indoors.

ischua
Under the Radar

#5628551 - 01/17/13 05:49 PM

Picking it up Saturday

ischua
Under the Radar

#5632931 - 01/20/13 10:38 AM

My first impression was Ok its going to be just like my Touch only bigger. NOT I had only ever used Sky Safari on my Touch and phone. I had no idea what I was missing! I hope all my other apps look as good.

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: demiles]
      #5644882 - 01/26/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Does the mini still fit in the pocket of the Dark Sky Apparrel observing vest with this case?

Since Best Buy had the Otter Box case on sale I picked one up and gave it try and yes it fit nicely in the pocket of the vest.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: demiles]
      #5652250 - 01/30/13 12:45 PM

I keep my mini in a leather case with a flip cover. The case gives the screen protection from any fall with the screen landing directly on a rock. I working on a bracket that will mate the leather case to a bracket on my Discmount DM6. It would allow me to use it one handed and flip the leather flip cover down to reduce screen light when I am at the eyepiece.

I have the iPhone 5 and the 3rd generation retina iPad. The red screen view of the iPhone is a bit hard for my older eyes. The full size iPad works great but it is a bit heavy to keep on your person or adapting to a bracket. I think the mini is a good balance of readability and portability. The battery on the mini charges up faster than the retina version.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: JMW]
      #5652269 - 01/30/13 12:55 PM

<< I working on a bracket that will mate the leather case to a bracket on my Discmount DM6. >>

I'd like to see a picture of it when you are finished.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4725

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics